+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 131
  1. #101

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You would pass on Stanton? I can't imagine why.
    5 years is awhile away. Obviously his performance and trends in numbers would truly dictate whether or not he's worth handing out a long term contract to. But as of today, I see him more as a pure power hitting above average right fielder who would go through rapid decline into his 30's.

  2. #102

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    The best move he could make would be to choose the top development/drafting guy from a team like the Braves or Rays who are consistently good at producing talent ( and in the case of Atlanta- even when the team was good and had low draft picks ) and dump enough money on them to have them move to the Yanks

    A pipe dream I know (pun intended) because we need a complete overhaul of the system and Hal thinks our problems can be solved by cutting payroll
    I'd even add the Sox to the mix of teams producing talent with low draft picks. The farm system on Cashman's watch has been a failure. How many more "there's great talent in the lower level minors" can we hear before it sinks in that it's probably not the case, or, if they're the real deal, that they'll get traded for the next Granderson or some aging star? I heard it 8 years ago, 5 years ago, and, in 2016, when we fail to produce quality major league talent, we'll hear it again.


  3. #103

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    The best move he could make would be to choose the top development/drafting guy from a team like the Braves or Rays who are consistently good at producing talent ( and in the case of Atlanta- even when the team was good and had low draft picks ) and dump enough money on them to have them move to the Yanks

    A pipe dream I know (pun intended) because we need a complete overhaul of the system and Hal thinks our problems can be solved by cutting payroll
    that would involve relinquishing a lot of baseball control and effectively admit that he's more of a finance guy than a true baseball mind. I think Cashman's pride will not allow him to commit to such a change.

    The problem is that the yankees franchise has covertly transitioned from an organization driven by a singular personality devoted to winning to just another corporate boardroom with cookie cutter voices from empty suits.

    We have completely lost our competitive edge.

  4. #104

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    That is indeed the future and it's a grim reality for the yankees management. Scouting, developing, effective trades are not skillsets that Cashman has in spades. his forte is in inking large oversized deals for aging and declining free agent in the post steroid era. I don't see what he brings to the table in this new environment of fiscal conservatism and ability to recognize and cultivate value among youth.

    I've posted this before, but the Yankees organization does remind me of the old crooner in the Kayak commercials. Out of touch and his better days are well behind him.



  5. #105

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I've posted this before, but the Yankees organization does remind me of the old crooner in the Kayak commercials. Out of touch and his better days are well behind him.

    As long as Cashman is at the helm I don't see things changing for the better. and this is not a hit piece on Cashman's innate acumen or anything. It's at least in part the era that Cashman the GM came to being and the GM methodology he's been indoctrinated because of it.

    Back in the steroid era, FA signings were more or less sure things and the way that GM's demonstrated their value. If you were able to make the flashy big named signing, that got your name in the papers. Because of Yankees' bottomless wallet, Cashman never had to develop the managing skills necessary in a cash constrained environment where there are no certainties only calculated risks.

  6. #106

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    I think Cashman is a much better GM than you assume.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  7. #107

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    player development problem is organizatinoal. cashman isn't out there teaching guys how to pitch and managing players schedule etc
    always reasonable

  8. #108
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I think Cashman is a much better GM than you assume.
    I think part of the problem is that ownership has abruptly changed its management philosophy and the FO doesn't have the financial flexibility or farm system to adapt immediately. A lot is riding on our current batch of prospects, but it's likely to be frustrating till we get there
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  9. #109
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    yankee lineup in 2019:

    CF Mason Williams
    RF Bryce Harper
    2B Robinson Cano
    DH Mike Stanton
    1B Gary Sanchez
    3B Chase Headley
    LF Tyler Austin
    C Austin Romine/J.R. Murphy
    SS Derek Jeter
    You're not batting Harper third? You don't think Sanchez will stick at C?


  10. #110
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    The best move he could make would be to choose the top development/drafting guy from a team like the Braves or Rays who are consistently good at producing talent ( and in the case of Atlanta- even when the team was good and had low draft picks ) and dump enough money on them to have them move to the Yanks

    A pipe dream I know (pun intended) because we need a complete overhaul of the system and Hal thinks our problems can be solved by cutting payroll
    Definitely a place like Atlanta or Texas that produces a lot with high finishes (i.e. low picks), though Texas may be a more of holdover from when they had poor finishes.


  11. #111
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'd even add the Sox to the mix of teams producing talent with low draft picks. The farm system on Cashman's watch has been a failure. How many more "there's great talent in the lower level minors" can we hear before it sinks in that it's probably not the case, or, if they're the real deal, that they'll get traded for the next Granderson or some aging star? I heard it 8 years ago, 5 years ago, and, in 2016, when we fail to produce quality major league talent, we'll hear it again.
    Funny...I was going to say, and I hate to add BOS, but they're producing a lot more players these days than we are, even with a nearly equal record of post season finishes, etc.


  12. #112
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    5 years is awhile away. Obviously his performance and trends in numbers would truly dictate whether or not he's worth handing out a long term contract to. But as of today, I see him more as a pure power hitting above average right fielder who would go through rapid decline into his 30's.


    Stanton's at 93/.902. I'll take that bet.

  13. #113

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Stanton is the type of player you empty your farm system for and build a team around.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  14. #114

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I think part of the problem is that ownership has abruptly changed its management philosophy and the FO doesn't have the financial flexibility or farm system to adapt immediately. A lot is riding on our current batch of prospects, but it's likely to be frustrating till we get there
    Or possibly ever?

    When Cashman was ceded more power in '05 he stated that player development was a priority

    He and the people he's hired have failed at that

    Culver, Bichette, Cole- number 1 picks? gimme a break

    I guess I'm just not optimistic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  15. #115

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Or possibly ever?

    When Cashman was ceded more power in '05 he stated that player development was a priority

    He and the people he's hired have failed at that

    Culver, Bichette, Cole- number 1 picks? gimme a break

    I guess I'm just not optimistic
    Just as an example, every scout had Culver pegged as a 3rd-4th round pick at best. Only the Yankees deemed him good enough to be a first round pick, to the amusement of other teams.


  16. #116

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by mhmajp View Post
    Funny...I was going to say, and I hate to add BOS, but they're producing a lot more players these days than we are, even with a nearly equal record of post season finishes, etc.
    And currently have a better farm system than the Yankees, IMO. I'm not convinced that the changes the Yanks have made over the winter will result in anything better. How can anyone have confidence in the FO decisions when it comes to the farm and player development??


  17. #117
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Or possibly ever?

    When Cashman was ceded more power in '05 he stated that player development was a priority

    He and the people he's hired have failed at that

    Culver, Bichette, Cole- number 1 picks? gimme a break

    I guess I'm just not optimistic
    Agree on the first round pick issue. My point was more that a number of decisions (e.g., A-Rod contract) make the current situation even more difficult, and now it seems like they'll be patching holes (like, the OF, where it seems we're basically waiting a 1-2 years to see if key prospects pan out) until there is more flexibility.

    If the driver is going to be making budget next year, it's not going to get better for a while.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  18. #118
    NYYF HOF

    AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Piscataway, NJ

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    You don't think Jeter will have moved to the outfield by then?
    Jeter will be retired before 2019.

  19. #119
    Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Shelter Island

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Jeter will own the RAYS by then!

  20. #120

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    So now the guy's working with Jay-Z
    Any problems, he can go to Jay-Z
    Trouble getting his hits, he can go to Jay-Z
    Beef with his team, with other players, he can call Jay-Z
    But now the guys gotta come up with Jay Z's money every week no matter what
    Aint breakin any records F**K YOU PAY ME!
    Oh you want me in your video, F**K YOU PAY ME!
    No ones comin to your games huh? F**K YOU PAY ME!
    And then what do you do, when you can't get another hit with RISP,
    And you can't get another single in the stadium,
    You light a match, you blow the joint!
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  21. #121

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'd even add the Sox to the mix of teams producing talent with low draft picks. The farm system on Cashman's watch has been a failure. How many more "there's great talent in the lower level minors" can we hear before it sinks in that it's probably not the case, or, if they're the real deal, that they'll get traded for the next Granderson or some aging star? I heard it 8 years ago, 5 years ago, and, in 2016, when we fail to produce quality major league talent, we'll hear it again.
    That's all you hear right now. "Ppl say the Yankees have no depth but that's not true they are loaded with talent in the lower levels" That's part of the problem because when you have no ML ready talent you have to rely on retreads. Obviously you aren't going to have a HOF 1st baseman waiting at AAA to fill in for Tex. But they didn't even have a solid decent prospect that could hold the position down for the first month or so. Doesn't anyone see a problem with that.

    They will probably say the same thing and so will Cash. He loves talking about the young prospect in A ball with a plus fastball or the position player in Tampa that ten GMs called him about.

  22. #122
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    That's all you hear right now. "Ppl say the Yankees have no depth but that's not true they are loaded with talent in the lower levels" That's part of the problem because when you have no ML ready talent you have to rely on retreads. Obviously you aren't going to have a HOF 1st baseman waiting at AAA to fill in for Tex. But they didn't even have a solid decent prospect that could hold the position down for the first month or so. Doesn't anyone see a problem with that.

    They will probably say the same thing and so will Cash. He loves talking about the young prospect in A ball with a plus fastball or the position player in Tampa that ten GMs called him about.
    I'm not as down on Cashman as some, and I do believe there is some legitimate talent in our system right now, but the "we are loaded at the lower levels" argument is somewhat lost on me. It certainly could be true but I feel like just about every team can make that claim since the players at that level are still so young and as Yankee fans we've been beating that drum for the last 8 years or so.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  23. #123

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    "loaded at the lower levels" means, to me, "you might get one or two guys out of this"
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  24. #124

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    "loaded at the lower levels" means, to me, "you might get one or two guys out of this"

    If even that were true, we'd be a lot better off than we are now. We've had some success w/ middle relievers- that's about it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  25. #125

    Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    If even that were true, we'd be a lot better off than we are now. We've had some success w/ middle relievers- that's about it
    They have been pretty good when it comes to relievers. Replacing Mo won't be easy but when it comes to putting together a pen and developing, trading, or bringing in relievers they have been great at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm not as down on Cashman as some, and I do believe there is some legitimate talent in our system right now, but the "we are loaded at the lower levels" argument is somewhat lost on me. It certainly could be true but I feel like just about every team can make that claim since the players at that level are still so young and as Yankee fans we've been beating that drum for the last 8 years or so.
    Yes we have. Every few yrs it's wait till our kids in A ball get here. We've been waiting and waiting and waiting lol.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts