+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

@BryanHoch: According to @Buster_ESPN, Robinson Cano is changing agents and has fired Scott Boras.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/319096122159296512

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: #Yankees' Cano going with CAA in part because of affiliation with Roc Nation, an entertainment/marketing company founded by Jay-Z.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...02006432243713

@FeinsandNYDN: Brodie Van Wagenen will be Cano's primary agent. He handles Ryan Howard, Ryan Zimmerman, Drew Storen and Carlos Quentin among others.

@FeinsandNYDN: Cano's statement: “At this point in my career, I am ready to take a more active role in my endeavors both on and off the field."
    @FeinsandNYDN: “I am confident that the pairing of Roc Nation Sports & CAA Sports will be essential in helping me accomplish my short- & long-term goals."
    @FeinsandNYDN: "I am making this important decision now so I can keep my focus on helping the Yankees succeed in 2013..."
    @FeinsandNYDN: "...while minimizing any distractions for me and my teammates." (From the Roc Nation Sports press release)

https://twitter.com/FeinsandNYDN

@JeffPassan: Important: Almost every star with CAA signs a contract extension. Braun, Cain, Danks, Ethier, Halladay, Howard, Ad. Jones, Peavy, Zimmerman.

Implications........
    Last edited by Yanks3; 04-02-13 at 10:39 AM.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: Robinson Cano has Fired Scott Boras

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks3 View Post
    @BryanHoch: According to @Buster_ESPN, Robinson Cano is changing agents and has fired Scott Boras.

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/319096122159296512

Implications........
    Crappy Christmas presents in the Boras household?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Triple Crown

Sign him quickly, before he changes his mind!
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Whoa. Hope this means Cano signs an extension.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

I always kind of wondered whether Boras were truly needed for the mega free agents. I think guys like Swisher could be helped by him...and maybe Ellsbury next year.

But a guy like Cano...does he really need Boras to get absolute top dollar? And if not, Boras isn't the type to put somebody in a situation that's a good fit for a discount on the dollar anyway, so it's kind of gilding the lily...

NYYF Triple Crown

Since Boras is widely known as the poster child for squeezing the maximum money and years possible, maybe this means that Cano is willing to sacrifice either on the money or length of contract, or perhaps both, and wants another agent that is more in line with this.

I guess we'll see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Since Boras is widely known as the poster child for squeezing the maximum money and years possible, maybe this means that Cano is willing to sacrifice either on the money or length of contract, or perhaps both, and wants another agent that is more in line with this.

I guess we'll see soon.
    Cano is still going to get a great contract. I hope Cano wants a Jered Weaver type deal. I think Cano might be thinking "you know, if I take a lesser deal, that means the team can build around me". Cano didn't come from riches, and maybe he realizes he doesn't need 200m. I don't know, pure speculation.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Cano is still going to get a great contract. I hope Cano wants a Jered Weaver type deal. I think Cano might be thinking "you know, if I take a lesser deal, that means the team can build around me". Cano didn't come from riches, and maybe he realizes he doesn't need 200m. I don't know, pure speculation.
    I think there might be some basis to this.
    He has had a chance to look at what a huge albatross contract can do to a team just by looking in his own locker room right now, and the fact that the 3 years Arod was with Texas they finished in last place each season, presumably because they could not afford to supplement the roster because of his huge contract.
    He could be looking at the big picture and taking this approach as a result.
    Happy Yankee, with a good supporting cast, postseasons, and WS hopefully?
    Or the richest guy on a last place team (see 2001-2003 Rangers)

Yeah, but that's assuming Cano would rather win than make money. If it were me, I can't say I'd take the "make the team better" way. Especially if I thought keeping me there was making the team better.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I always kind of wondered whether Boras were truly needed for the mega free agents. I think guys like Swisher could be helped by him...and maybe Ellsbury next year.

But a guy like Cano...does he really need Boras to get absolute top dollar? And if not, Boras isn't the type to put somebody in a situation that's a good fit for a discount on the dollar anyway, so it's kind of gilding the lily...
    Nobody but Boras gets Arod his first mega contract by playing the Rangers owner like a fiddle

He's the best at what he does- he'll squeeze the most $$$ he can get for his clients- regardless of where they fall on the mega scale

A lot of players don't want to deal with the circus atmosphere he creates in the process- and hopefully Cano dumping him means that Robbie's more open to a reasonable ( money/years ) deal and doesn't want to squeeze every last penny- just wants to get the deal done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    I think there might be some basis to this.
    He has had a chance to look at what a huge albatross contract can do to a team just by looking in his own locker room right now, and the fact that the 3 years Arod was with Texas they finished in last place each season, presumably because they could not afford to supplement the roster because of his huge contract.
    He could be looking at the big picture and taking this approach as a result.
    Happy Yankee, with a good supporting cast, postseasons, and WS hopefully?
    Or the richest guy on a last place team (see 2001-2003 Rangers)
    I don't think the analogy holds up. The Rangers had a limited budget. The Yankees only real constraint is Hal's ill conceived plot to limit the Yanks financial advantage while other clubs are swimming in new money

If his main concern were winning, if I were him , I'd be spooked by the new austerity while the club is still burdened by albatross onctracts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Jay-Z is essentially Cano's agent. Wow, Jay-Z is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I don't think the analogy holds up. The Rangers had a limited budget. The Yankees only real constraint is Hal's ill conceived plot to limit the Yanks financial advantage while other clubs are swimming in new money

If his main concern were winning, if I were him , I'd be spooked by the new austerity while the club is still burdened by albatross onctracts
    Watching A-Rod over the years, I suspect A-Rod wanted that contract. However, Boras has shown he can also work with players like Weaver whose priority is staying put.

I wonder what precipitated this? Maybe he spoke to A-Rod yesterday
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Yeah, but that's assuming Cano would rather win than make money. If it were me, I can't say I'd take the "make the team better" way. Especially if I thought keeping me there was making the team better.
    But Cano might be thinking he can win AND make money by staying with the Yankees, where with another team it might be make the money without the winning.
    As you pointed out earlier, if because of his humble beginnings he knows he can make "plenty" (but maybe not as much as Boras would've decimated a team to give him) and still stay with a consistent contending team, this might be where he wants to be.
    If he thinks that the Yankees can provide him with "plenty to make him happy," whatever that amount may be, and he still ends up a Yankee with a chance for a ring every year, he may have determined that is where his happy place is and he's making inroads to getting there.

Seeing this tweeted: "you don't sign with CAA and Jay-Z if you're planning on leaving New York"

Seeing this tweeted: "you don't sign with CAA and Jay-Z if you're planning on leaving New York"
    Why not? CAA is based in Hollywood, right?

Last I knew, there were two very wealthy teams out there. Besides, since when does a player need to be anywhere near his agency?

Eh, because it's Jay-Z, man.

NYYF Legend

Wow. This came out of nowhere. I'm going to take it as good news for now.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Eh, because it's Jay-Z, man.
    You think Jay-Z is going to be managing Cano on a day to day basis?

the team's no extension policy is an attempt at team culture building and whatnot. but it is a bit too heavyhanded and can be counterproductive.

selling new york city life to players is the better way to go
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    You think Jay-Z is going to be managing Cano on a day to day basis?
    I think Jay-Z can do anything.

I hope we can sign him to a 6/150 ? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fvkw View Post
    I hope we can sign him to a 6/150 ? Maybe.
    dream on
    always reasonable

I think Jay-Z can do anything.
    He's no Tex

Thread Information