+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: CC Sabathia 2013 Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    cue the freakouts...
    Not freaking out, but it is a bummer to watch. In past years, a couple of early runs were lethal with CC on the hill. Now, not so much....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Its pretty clear at this point his velocity is gonna hover around 90-91 going forward. The days of him going higher then that are over.

I should be thrilled that it's May 20 and this is the first time this season I'm yelling at Girardi through my TV set. But I'm more upset with Joe not seeing how obvious it was that CC should have been taken out.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

The fact that CC is leaving sliders over the plate and pitching retarded (which might be a Romine problem) is 20 times more concerning than his loss in velocity.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    cue the freakouts...
    He's approaching giving up nearly 10H/9. What would you rather discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I should be thrilled that it's May 20 and this is the first time this season I'm yelling at Girardi through my TV set. But I'm more upset with Joe not seeing how obvious it was that CC should have been taken out.
    I don't really have a problem with him being left out there....CC is learning a new approach on the fly, given they are playing a bit with house money right now in the standings, and given hughes is likely to need a lot of help tomorrow night out of the pen...all things considered, I would have left him out there too.

If it was a playoff game or a pennant home stretch type of game, different story...

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    And Alexi Casilla
    Casilla has always hit him, but nonetheless the point stands. He either doesn't do his homework against opposing rosters or somehow the scrub bench player on every team is his kryptonite.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He's approaching giving up nearly 10H/9. What would you rather discuss?
    My guess is he'd rather discuss other posters?

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Its pretty clear at this point his velocity is gonna hover around 90-91 going forward. The days of him going higher then that are over.
    Not really, most pitchers have their velocities peak in the summer. That being said his velocity is going down and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

He must be allergic to holding leads.

Ccttp

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    The fact that CC is leaving sliders over the plate and pitching retarded (which might be a Romine problem) is 20 times more concerning than his loss in velocity.
    This.

He is our #2/3 starter right now.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Not sure what to think at this point. He really is giving up a ton of hits but he's still pretty effective.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

CC has always left sliders over the plate.

He just won't get away with it as much going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    CC has always left sliders over the plate.

He just won't get away with it as much going forward.
    What? Thats not exactly true and ANY pitcher who leaves sliders over the plate is generally going to get beat up for the most part.

What? Thats not exactly true and ANY pitcher who leaves sliders over the plate is generally going to get beat up for the most part.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/heatmap.asp...ze=&inty=&pal=

See for yourself. CC has always hung quite a few of his sliders. It's not because he has bad command... it's because he's aiming higher and going for strikes. So when it misses high, it becomes a hanger. More pedestrian pitchers aim lower and end up with a perfect strike when they miss high.

Cliff Lee too.

These two guys rely on movement and speed differentials to get outs with their sliders. They really do hang quite a few of their sliders.

Click on CC's other heatmaps too. The hottest zones for his fastballs are right down the middle and in the upper 2 thirds of the plate.

CC attacks the hell out of the zone, this year especially. With velocity and movement down, he's getting hurt more than in the past. But you know what, with the Ks and IPs he's still on pace to give us, I could live with that.

Semi-serious question. When the WIN METHOD guy was around, would he have argued that the fact the Yankees came back and won this game meant that CC was doing fine?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Cy Young

NYYF Legend

That is a depressing (and very telling) graph.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Not sure what to think at this point. He really is giving up a ton of hits but he's still pretty effective.
    Maybe this is the transitional part of CC's career - the part where a player cannot get it done the same way he has in the past. Unfortunately, the only way to find out what's going to work now is to go out there and try during a game. I am concerned, but not alarmed.

I'm also beginning to wonder if the weight he lost is having more of an impact than I expected. Some guys just perform better with the extra lbs.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Had trouble putting away hitter with 2k's.

There is no doubt in my mind CC has been experimenting since last year to work with his diminished velocity. Last year he threw only 54% fastballs (34.7% four seam), by far the lowest of his career. He also threw only 47.9% of his pitches in the strike zone, lowest in his career. Both are strong indications he was shifting to become a more finesse pitcher with diminished fastball, which recorded -.73 wFB/c, worst of his career last year.

He didn't seem to like that result very much, despite still a stellar season. This season, he switched to a different gear, throwing 57.2% fastballs with almost no sinkers. He is also attacking the zone more aggressively with 49.1% of his pitches in the zone. Both suggest he's reverting closer to his Yankees career norms somewhat. But with diminished velocity, pounding the zone with the fastball has been hurting CC. CC's fastball is clocking -1.04 wFB/c (giving up 1.04 runs extra per 100 thrown), worst of his career and 25th worst in 2013 among qualified starters on FG, out of 106.

My guess is CC will adjust and accept with his diminished stuff he just has to nibble more than he is used to.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post

See for yourself. CC has always hung quite a few of his sliders. It's not because he has bad command... it's because he's aiming higher and going for strikes. So when it misses high, it becomes a hanger. More pedestrian pitchers aim lower and end up with a perfect strike when they miss high.

Cliff Lee too.

These two guys rely on movement and speed differentials to get outs with their sliders. They really do hang quite a few of their sliders.

Click on CC's other heatmaps too. The hottest zones for his fastballs are right down the middle and in the upper 2 thirds of the plate.

CC attacks the hell out of the zone, this year especially. With velocity and movement down, he's getting hurt more than in the past. But you know what, with the Ks and IPs he's still on pace to give us, I could live with that.
    Fair enough, but heat maps don't show pitch movement or velocity which would be more important in determining if he hung a slider vs. attacked the zone.

Also, I agree with the bolded (and pretty much everything you've stated), as long as CC gives us the production he has been this year, I could live with that.

I was more mad at his pitch selection against Markakis last night.

NYYF Legend

Well..................here's a big game for CC. Here's to hope...that he turns in a solid game so the Yankees can sweep the Rays out.
    Any games that they can gain on them will be important because with Tampa's pitching potential to turn in a great 2nd half of the season is a serious threat.
    They are goin' be there in the mix as the season winds down.

Thread Information