+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Re: Thoughts of Opening Day 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    outside of the fact that it was Opening Day, when you team is down 6 runs in the 9th and its raining and windy people start to head home. Thats really any team around the league. Seen that a bunch of times before in the past
    Exactly. Nothing new....

You'd think for a team that's based in NY they might actually find someone who can, you know, actually sing.

I'll add my agreeance. The renditions of the National Anthem and God Bless America were terrible. Like, all time worst bad. That girl who sung GBA actually has a job singing? Awfulllll.
    A humble man of grace and dignity.
    A captain who led by example.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think that the New Stadium is an absolutely beautiful structure.
    The outfield, with the cluster of ads plus the Mohegan bar, is very ugly.

NYYF Cy Young

I've been going to OD since 1997 and this was probably the most bland one yet. The watered-down line-up and the lower expectations for the season certainly had a lot to do with it. But somehow there seemed to be a bit less "Pomp" - things felt rushed and as others have said, the singing performances were off-the-charts dreadful.

The place was pretty much packed by the first inning and at 4-2 there was hope that we could get even. But there was also the feeling that this game was a microcosm of how the season will play out. It's going to be a long season . . .

There seemed to be a smudge of dirt in one of the corners. They had all winter to get that cleaned.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    But there was also the feeling that this game was a microcosm of how the season will play out. It's going to be a long season . . .
    I resisted the urge to post something along these lines. There are a few of the bad story lines we missed (Nix dropped the ball twice, but neither one hurt us, for example), but the anemic offense that can't get past an early deficit was certainly there. We need a few pleasant surprises before the end of May...or it may be a pretty short season. Our pitching is good, but it's not one-run good.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Does anyone know where I can watch (legally) a re-run of opening day? Would I get this with an mlbtv account?

Quote Originally Posted by bl73 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can watch (legally) a re-run of opening day? Would I get this with an mlbtv account?
    You really want to? Why?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Why not? It was a great game and one that I'd like to watch over and over! No, seriously, I just wanted to see if I was on tv...

NYYF Legend

Why not? It was a great game and one that I'd like to watch over and over! No, seriously, I just wanted to see if I was on tv...
    Sometimes they take a mega shot photograph of the crowd, usually for big games in the postseason & sometimes opening day. If you can find one online you can zoom in on yourself in minute detail. Excellent for curious fans and suspicious wives

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Sometimes they take a mega shot photograph of the crowd, usually for big games in the postseason & sometimes opening day. If you can find one online you can zoom in on yourself in minute detail. Excellent for curious fans and suspicious wives
    Fifteen or more years ago (late 90's), I was asked to a Mets game. My buddy got Field Box seats behind the Mets dugout. Not really close, but maybe the 6 or 7th box back.

There was this little kid in the box front of us, wearing a Rick Grimes-like sheriff's hat, and a toy gun. He couldn't have been more than 5 years old. He would take this toy gun, and fake-shoot at people in the stands.

Needless to say my friends and I were enjoying ourselves, and making repeated trips throughout the game to the beer stand. This was at a time when you were allowed to buy four at a time. So we would take turns making beer runs. We were feeling no pain.

Unbeknown to us, Fran Healy and whoever else was doing the game, was having a field day with this kid, going back to him repeatedly. As a result, we were constantly in the camera shot, either drinking beer, or walking down the aisle with 4 more....

I get a phone call the next day from mom, a big fan of all sports -- watches more sports on TV than I figured possible. She tells me, "So, you got hammered at the game last night!" I reply, "How did you know?" She says, "There was a kid wearing a cowboy hat sitting in front of you!" "How did you know?" "You and your friends were on TV all night!"

And that's what we call a zinger....

The moral of the story? You never know who's watching!

Cheers!
    -Doug

NYYF Cy Young

Your story reminded me of an interview with Phil Hughes a couple of years ago (I guess when he was a reliever) when he said his mother had been watching TV, seeing him sitting in the dugout, and she was all over him criticizing his posture!

In the past when I had good seats I just paid for a one month subscription to mlb.tv and cancelled it right away so they didn't charge me again. It might be like 30 bucks, but I got this beauty of a shot424718_10151055363797810_1070927994_n.jpg

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

Still checking for OD

http://mlb.mlb.com/photos/gigapan/in...c_id=nyy#y2013

--------

So I wasn't the only one cringing at the National Anthem singer ... yikes!

Just sing the song, dammit.
    Here's how it's done
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Yeah that's what I was talking about, Gigapan. They take the picture with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

Doesn't seem like they made a shot for Monday's game

Thread Information