+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts of Opening Day 2013

Although this applies primarily to those who attended the game, I am curious on people's experiences leading up to, during and after the game. Although I will be in the moat just behind 1st base, I am not as excited as the only positional starters returning from last year opening day are Cano and Gardner. Seeing Sweet Lou will be a thrill.

Re: Thoughts of Opening Day 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Although this applies primarily to those who attended the game, I am curious on people's experiences leading up to, during and after the game. Although I will be in the moat just behind 1st base, I am not as excited as the only positional starters returning from last year opening day are Cano and Gardner. Seeing Sweet Lou will be a thrill.

How do you get down there? do you have season tickets? if so can I buy a few games from you?

Forum Regular

Opening Day game starts in 20 minutes and the stadium looks barren on YES

A little weird without the usual suspects like Jeter and Granderson, but otherwise okay. I can't get over how filled up the stadium was today, seems like much more than last year. Went to NYY Steak before the game and that was actually a good kickoff.

get used to this

time to thin the herd off the bandwagon since '95

tickets never sunk on stubhub which surprised me just a bit.
    no way would I pay $50 bucks to watch that lineup
    even Guiliani's wife convinced him to abandon ship in the 9th.
    if CC cant get it up over 90mph, hello last place

NYYF Legend

Crazy how empty the Stadium was. Embarrassing.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Crazy how empty the Stadium was. Embarrassing.
    that was at the end of the game when they were down 6, and it was raining. They announced a sellout and actually the highest attended (tickets "sold" *cough*) home opener in the history of NYS. The next couple games will be more telling

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    that was at the end of the game when they were down 6, and it was raining. They announced a sellout and actually the highest attended (tickets "sold" *cough*) home opener in the history of NYS. The next couple games will be more telling
    I was in 209 row 12. The seat on my left was empty the whole game. The 3 seats in front of me were empty the whole game.

I know much of it has to do with the lack of familiar (talented) faces, but this was the worst opening day I have been to.

Some reasons:

-Hands down, the absoute worst rendition of Our National Anthem, and on OD nonetheless.

-No Air Force flyover??? Are you kidding me??? I spent 10 minutes bragging to the folks next to us how awesome it was. I was left uncomfortably apologizing on the Yankees behalf.

-Some bozo stepped on the wet paint in the batters box during pre-game and left a trail of footprints towards pitchers mound.

-Annoying broken pixels on the "JumboTron" the whole game.

-Painstakingly slow concession service, even for OD standards.

-Shyte weather towards the end of the game.

Positives:

-Newtown Tribute

-Ichiro's De Niro impersonation.
    **** The skeptic of skeptics ****

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. Ricky D View Post

-No Air Force flyover??? Are you kidding me??? I spent 10 minutes bragging to the folks next to us how awesome it was. I was left uncomfortably apologizing on the Yankees behalf.
    Blame that one on the sequestration. Air Force stopped fly overs at all sporting events as of March 1st because there's no budget for it any more.

Did any one see the rediculous " lounge " outside of the Jim beam suite area?
    And yes that was the worst rendition of our national anthem .. Was also dissapointed by no fly over. A win would have made me forget all the negatives . Now it just makes them worse .

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman View Post
    Blame that one on the sequestration. Air Force stopped fly overs at all sporting events as of March 1st because there's no budget for it any more.
    Holy cow. The Country did something right for a change.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SI Baseballman View Post
    I actually heard someone in our section mention that, I wasn't sure if it was true or an attempt at humor.
    **** The skeptic of skeptics ****

I heard one of the bathroom stalls ran out of toilet paper in the 7th inning. That's some poop poor planning.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Now can we stop thinking about Opening Day 2013?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Surprised no one mentioned how "quiet" it was during the game. I attribute it to the Yankees behing behind all day and lack of "heroes" on the Yanks and "villians" on the Sox. Would love to boo Yuk.......... Hard to cheer for Nix, Overbay and Francisco................ Who to boo other than Ellbury and Pedroia?........ I am saddened by the Yankees all but "distancing" themselves from the past amd lack of pageantry.......... Lou was in and out in recoed time......... How about putting up some highlights while he is on the field (they played some between one of the innings)......... Bring bavk Ronan Tynan............. It was a very vanilla day. In addition to America's Mayor, in attendance were Rosanna Scotto and Matt Lauer........

Devoted Member

The new lounge outside of Jim Beam Suites is a great add on

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    get used to this

time to thin the herd off the bandwagon since '95

tickets never sunk on stubhub which surprised me just a bit.
    no way would I pay $50 bucks to watch that lineup
    even Guiliani's wife convinced him to abandon ship in the 9th.
    if CC cant get it up over 90mph, hello last place
    Whoa. I read some comments about people leaving early and thought that this happened much of the time last year too, but I don't know if I've ever seen it as empty as in your photo.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by 4train View Post
    Whoa. I read some comments about people leaving early and thought that this happened much of the time last year too, but I don't know if I've ever seen it as empty as in your photo.
    It started raining pretty hard in the middle of the ninth - we left our seats for cover, where there were a lot of people standing watching the end of the game.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned how "quiet" it was during the game. I attribute it to the Yankees behing behind all day and lack of "heroes" on the Yanks and "villians" on the Sox.
    I am also going to attribute the lack of noise to the fair weather fans not knowing who 80% of the players were playing today haha. They had no A-Rod to boo, had no clue how much these guys were getting paid so they couldn't say "$100million to pop out"...If it's going to be a rough year then I hope it weeds out all those fake fans for a few years.

Stadium was packed today, that picture going around the internet I think was taken right before Gardner flew out to end the game. Lots of people went for cover to watch after it started to rain.

I missed the end of the game because I had a physical therapy appointment but the stadium looked pretty full once the game started. Still this stadium isn't like the old one. In all honesty 2009 was my best year having tickets. Won the World Series, I met some new people in the new place and was starting to "adjust" to it. Then I don't know it just blew up and since game 6 in 2009 it's gone downhill. I think the price of everything is a big factor. I used to go to 15-20 games a year. Now it's down to 5.

Even the bars around there don't feel the same. I could go to Billy's in 2009 even 2010 and there were a decent amount of people. Now unless it's Opening Day it's not as packed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    get used to this

I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think that the New Stadium is an absolutely beautiful structure.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think that the New Stadium is an absolutely beautiful structure.
    I think it's completely ordinary.
    Last edited by JL25and3; 04-02-13 at 10:42 AM.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I was in 305 and it was a wind tunnel up there. The stadium was very quiet. The city did bring out an old 1940's number 4 subway for the game, which was very cool.

NYYF Legend

outside of the fact that it was Opening Day, when you team is down 6 runs in the 9th and its raining and windy people start to head home. Thats really any team around the league. Seen that a bunch of times before in the past
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Thread Information