+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Re: The Official Watching the Scoreboard Thread - 2013 MLB Regular Season

Holy cow, Ubaldo Jimenez is just plain awful.

NYYF Legend

The Oakland A's will be sad to see the Astros leave town but they do get them 13 more times this year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I see Boston lost both games of their doubleheader with KC on Sunday ... the second on a bases-loaded walk (by Andrew Miller) in the tenth inning. So despite their own loss, the Yankees pick up a half-game and are just a game and a half out of first.

I hope it's not too soon for me to be happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I see Boston lost both games of their doubleheader with KC on Sunday ... the second on a bases-loaded walk (by Andrew Miller) in the tenth inning. So despite their own loss, the Yankees pick up a half-game and are just a game and a half out of first.

I hope it's not too soon for me to be happy about that.
    My heart goes out in every way possible to the city of Boston. If I were, or am, able to to help those in need, count me in. Whatever it takes. We are all one people.

But I will not root for the Red Sox to win. Ever. Under any circumstances.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Haren has not looked good yet this year. He did manage to keep the game from getting away from him completely last night, his control was hardly a thing of beauty. Nats starters haven't been nearly as impressive so far.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I rarely look at standings now. In June is when I start taking a peak, but really not until July is when I start looking at them on a consistent basis.

Anibal Sanchez: 8IP 5H 1BB 17K

Against the Braves no less.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Haren has not looked good yet this year. He did manage to keep the game from getting away from him completely last night, his control was hardly a thing of beauty. Nats starters haven't been nearly as impressive so far.
    Haren looks flat-out awful. But other than him I think Nats starters actually look quite good. Not as impressive as last year, true, but the first half of last year they were just absurd. I guess we can't really expect them to replicate that.

Detwiler and Zimmermann have been lights-out (just saw boxscore from Zimmermann's one-hitter tonight-- on 91 pitches, against the Reds!). Gio has been very good except for one terrible start (hopefully that's an aberration). Strasburg is more of a mystery. He's 1-4 with a 3.15 ERA, which is bizarre. I think honestly he deserves a better record and a worse ERA than he has. He's been undone by his teammates' crucial errors a couple of times (that Ryan Zimmerman error against the Braves), but he also seems timid out there. He keeps starting players off 1-0, 2-0, and nibbling around the edges of the plate. If I were Stephen freaking Strasburg and I threw 97 mph, I'd challenge players more. But Strasburg seems a bit delicate in a lot of ways...not at all a headcase, but I remember last year he got overheated/dehydrated, he got IcyHot in his jockstrap, he was too cold to get a grip on the ball, etc. For all his (brilliant) talent, he can get thrown off by little things like the weather or a teammate's error. But he's really something special, and I think he'll turn it around.

Sorry for the long response...the Nats are my "other" team, and I always relish the chance to talk about them!

NYYF Legend

Houston is human cowbell for any team they face. Hopefully that trend continues this week.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Baltimore lost ... the Yankees are in second place now!

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Haren looks flat-out awful. But other than him I think Nats starters actually look quite good. Not as impressive as last year, true, but the first half of last year they were just absurd. I guess we can't really expect them to replicate that.

Detwiler and Zimmermann have been lights-out (just saw boxscore from Zimmermann's one-hitter tonight-- on 91 pitches, against the Reds!). Gio has been very good except for one terrible start (hopefully that's an aberration). Strasburg is more of a mystery. He's 1-4 with a 3.15 ERA, which is bizarre. I think honestly he deserves a better record and a worse ERA than he has. He's been undone by his teammates' crucial errors a couple of times (that Ryan Zimmerman error against the Braves), but he also seems timid out there. He keeps starting players off 1-0, 2-0, and nibbling around the edges of the plate. If I were Stephen freaking Strasburg and I threw 97 mph, I'd challenge players more. But Strasburg seems a bit delicate in a lot of ways...not at all a headcase, but I remember last year he got overheated/dehydrated, he got IcyHot in his jockstrap, he was too cold to get a grip on the ball, etc. For all his (brilliant) talent, he can get thrown off by little things like the weather or a teammate's error. But he's really something special, and I think he'll turn it around.

Sorry for the long response...the Nats are my "other" team, and I always relish the chance to talk about them!

Haren looked great against Cincy on Saturday.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post

They're my other team too. I guess after I "ragged" the starters a little, they got their act together. Zimmerman, Gonzalez and Detwiler almost make you forget about Strasburg. If he starts to roll, look out. They might have four 20 game winners.

I hope Zimmermann does not have the yips. The throwing errors were disturbing, but with the back acting up, I'm hoping some time off will clear everything up.

NYYF Legend

They're my other team too. I guess after I "ragged" the starters a little, they got their act together. Zimmerman, Gonzalez and Detwiler almost make you forget about Strasburg. If he starts to roll, look out. They might have four 20 game winners.

I hope Zimmermann does not have the yips. The throwing errors were disturbing, but with the back acting up, I'm hoping some time off will clear everything up.
    Jordan Zimmerman gets overlooked in that rotation but his stats since 2011 are really solid. He doesn't K a ton of hitters but he doesn't walk many either.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Jordan Zimmerman gets overlooked in that rotation but his stats since 2011 are really solid. He doesn't K a ton of hitters but he doesn't walk many either.
    You two have them mixed up. It's Ryan Zimmerman (one n) and Jordan Zimmermann (two ns).

Can we say the Angels are done already? It's still verrrry early, but 9-15 will be nearly impossible to overcome.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    My heart goes out in every way possible to the city of Boston. If I were, or am, able to to help those in need, count me in. Whatever it takes. We are all one people.

But I will not root for the Red Sox to win. Ever. Under any circumstances.
    This.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    This.
    Even if it helps the Yanks?? I know there are many who won't, but I will if it helps my team to a Championship. Otherwise, fuhgeddabawtit....
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Even if it helps the Yanks?? I know there are many who won't, but I will if it helps my team to a Championship. Otherwise, fuhgeddabawtit....
    I stand corrected. Obviouly if the Sawx winning helps us, then I make the exception. I really despise the Sawx, but not enough to "hurt" my team (as in your example).
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Houston is human cowbell for any team they face. Hopefully that trend continues this week.
    You probably should not have said that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    You probably should not have said that.
    Yeah that was unfortunate.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

The Mets scored 1 in the top of the 15th to take a 3-2 lead. Then gave up 2 in the bottom of the 15th. To the Marlins.

Kinda makes you feel a little bit better about tonight's loss to Houston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    The Mets scored 1 in the top of the 15th to take a 3-2 lead. Then gave up 2 in the bottom of the 15th. To the Marlins.

Kinda makes you feel a little bit better about tonight's loss to Houston.
    No, it really doesn't. But I like the story.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

The Angels got rid of Torii Hunter, Kendrys Morales, and Vernon Wells - who have gone on to post 2.2 WAR so far. The entire Angels lineup has produced 2.8 WAR.

Ervin Santana has also outperformed the Angels pitching staff.

NYYF Legend

So far, not much as materialized as the so-called experts predicted. The Sox are not in the cellar, but the Jays are. LAA's line-up was to be the next Murder's Row, NYY didn't stand a chance with all their HRS hitters gone. The Royals are leading the Central, Pirates are .5 behind St. Louis and the Dodgers are 3.5 out. I know it's early, but all these inter-league games are screwing everything up.

The Giants/Diamondbacks series so far have been fantastic to watch. All six games have involved comebacks in the late innings, some of which were then blown in extras. Giants first baseman Brandon Belt was responsible for three of those comebacks, two of which were in this series. The Giants starting pitching is pretty off so far this season, aside from Madison Bumgarner, but they have come from behind to win 9 of their 16 victories. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    The Giants/Diamondbacks series so far have been fantastic to watch. All six games have involved comebacks in the late innings, some of which were then blown in extras. Giants first baseman Brandon Belt was responsible for three of those comebacks, two of which were in this series. The Giants starting pitching is pretty off so far this season, aside from Madison Bumgarner, but they have come from behind to win 9 of their 16 victories. Fun stuff.
    The other Brandon on the Giants, Brandon Crawford, is also another nice player for them.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Thread Information