+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tim McCarver To Retire in 2014

Its probably time, but McCarver never annoyed me like he did some. Not a favorite, but pretty harmless. I'd rather have Buck hit the road and would simply prefer Fox get out of the MLB business. Not happening, but McCarver was the smallest annoyance related to my Saturday baseball experience.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Its probably time, but McCarver never annoyed me like he did some. Not a favorite, but pretty harmless. I'd rather have Buck hit the road and would simply prefer Fox get out of the MLB business. Not happening, but McCarver was the smallest annoyance related to my Saturday baseball experience.
    I agree with this, though McCarver could go on for innings over-analyzing something insignificant. That's what annoyed me most about him, but not enough to really bother me.

Its probably time, but McCarver never annoyed me like he did some. Not a favorite, but pretty harmless. I'd rather have Buck hit the road.
    McCarver reminded me of a senile old man. Fun to be around, but I'd never take him seriously. Buck seems like he LOATHES what he does.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I agree with this, though McCarver could go on for innings over-analyzing something insignificant. That's what annoyed me most about him, but not enough to really bother me.
    It's one thing to overanalyze and beat a point into the ground, it's another to make no sense and/or be 100% wrong while doing it. Can't stand listening to him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's one thing to overanalyze and beat a point into the ground, it's another to make no sense and/or be 100% wrong while doing it. Can't stand listening to him.
    I really hated (along with all the above) when he would argue with a CORRECT call. He'd have them run the replay and he'd get it wrong over and over again. Arrrggghhhh!

And Buck, that dickless wonder, would just temporize instead of telling Tim he was blind.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    +1 for me, Buck is the real enemy here

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    McCarver reminded me of a senile old man. Fun to be around, but I'd never take him seriously. Buck seems like he LOATHES what he does.
    Absolutely agree 100%, he doesn't give a crap about baseball he only wants to be watching football

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's one thing to overanalyze and beat a point into the ground, it's another to make no sense and/or be 100% wrong while doing it.
    I remember in his Mets' days he pointed out on several occasions that a SS won the AL MVP 3 years in a row- Yount in '82, Ripken in '83 and Trammell in '84. Except Trammell didn't win the MVP, Guillermo Hernandez did. And he didn't just repeat it in the same game. He would make the same wrong comment weeks later, either with nobody correcting him or just refusing to be wrong.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

I wonder if Deion Sanders will be invited to the retirement party
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

i never listen to the fox audio. rather listen to something else or sterling
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Several years ago, Buck acutually admitted in a SI interview that he does not like covering baseball. Why he is still in the booth is beyond me, especially when there are many others who'd be a huge upgrade. His "call" of the final out of the 2009 WS was embarrassing - it sounded like he woke up just in time to see it, mumbled and went back to sleep.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I always enjoyed Tim's hypocritical irony when he complained about pitchers throwing at hitters when he caught Bob Gibson.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Triple Crown

Maybe when the end draws near we can start a celebratory countdown thread like for ST and OD
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Maybe when the end draws near we can start a celebratory countdown thread like for ST and OD
    Kind of tough when he calls the World Series and you don't know when the last game is going to be, except it can't be too soon to get rid of Tim.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Kind of tough when he calls the World Series and you don't know when the last game is going to be, except it can't be too soon to get rid of Tim.
    I know. But such a great occasion has to be savored and memorialized in some way.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    I know. But such a great occasion has to be savored and memorialized in some way.
    Make his date of retirement:

The Annual Kick Tim McCarver up the middle of his Stupid Arse Day!!!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will join Buck in the FOX booth for the 2014 WS. Sounds like a big improvement over McCarver. I like both HR and TV. Of course, we're still stuck with Joe Buck.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/27/har...x-sources-say/

It would be awesome if no one said or did anything to make his departure a big deal. Unfortunately too many folks think he's been good at his job.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Harold Reynolds and Tom Verducci will join Buck in the FOX booth for the 2014 WS. Sounds like a big improvement over McCarver. I like both HR and TV. Of course, we're still stuck with Joe Buck.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/27/har...x-sources-say/
    Maybe HR's more recent playing experience (relative vs McCarver) and TV's off field connections will help to take some air out of the windbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    It would be awesome if no one said or did anything to make his departure a big deal. Unfortunately too many folks think he's been good at his job.
    He's a compiler.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information