+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Sources: Yanks to get Vernon Wells

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ls-sources-say

The New York Yankees are close to acquiring Vernon Wells from the Los Angeles Angels, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Wells has a no-trade clause, but sources tell Olney the 34-year-old outfielder will approve the trade.

There are still two years and $42 million remaining on the seven-year, $126 million deal Wells originally signed with the Toronto Blue Jays.

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Re: Sources: Yanks to get Vernon Wells

Always a fan of Wells....Angels to eat a lot of cash...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Not sure how you can be a fan a this point. Unless he has a hidden two-year stash of Ortiz' Magic Milkshake Mix.

wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff my head exploded
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Not sure how you can be a fan a this point. Unless he has a hidden two-year stash of Ortiz' Magic Milkshake Mix.
    Really, they should just tell him to cannonball a bunch of those milkshakes and ride it until he gets caught, however long that might be. Even 5 games of juiced-up Vernon Wells will probably be better than what we get over 150+ games of his current self.

Released Outright

Unless the Yankees FO knows something that we don't about Wells (unlikely) this move reeks of desperation.

F-

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Interesting that Cashman is willing to pay Wells $5-6 million a year, but wouldn't even make an offer to Russell Martin.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Everyone seems down on this move, yet I see it as an indication that Cashman is, in fact, looking to improve the team - even if only for the short run.

From the reports that I have heard (and, yes, nothing is official until announced), the Yankees would give up a low-level prospect and the Angels would pick up the overwhelming majority of this contract.

Wells has not had a bad spring (albeit not great either), hitting .361/.390/.722 with four homers and 11 RBI in 41 plate appearances. Giving us another RH bat with CF experience and the ability to play the corner position is not a bad idea.

What would be most interesting is if the deal could be structured such that the Yankees pay whatever they agree to take on this year, only paying the ML minimum next season - that would make it even better.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Interesting that Cashman is willing to pay Wells $5-6 million a year, but wouldn't even make an offer to Russell Martin.

I have seen/heard absolutely nothing that suggests that Cashman is considering taking on this much of his contract.

Plus, the whole Martin issue is so passe, why even bring it up? Cashman stated his priorities in the off-season and followed those priorities. Martin chose deliberately not to wait - his right and privilege.

But to constantly complain that Cashman "wouldn't even make an offer to Russell Martin" when Martin was not at the top of his priority is getting a little old, at least to this poster.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

I have seen/heard absolutely nothing that suggests that Cashman is considering taking on this much of his contract.
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...39#post7691139
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Plus, the whole Martin issue is so passe, why even bring it up? Cashman stated his priorities in the off-season and followed those priorities. Martin chose deliberately not to wait - his right and privilege.

But to constantly complain that Cashman "wouldn't even make an offer to Russell Martin" when Martin was not at the top of his priority is getting a little old, at least to this poster.
    I'm not sure why it's passe to wonder why the yankees would spend $13mm on Vernon Wells but not on Russell Martin during the offseason.

The fact that Cashman didn't make Martin a priority is the point.

Here's your link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vernon+Wells+trade+yankees#

Bringing up Martin is a valid question: Given a choice between Martin or Wells at $6.5 million a year should be a no-brainer. Martin will arguably give you better offensive production while playing a premium position.

Passe? It happened this offseason...

If we cannot discuss these things, then what's the point of these forums? May as well shut them down and provide static replies to every question..

Well, that was pretty snarky.

Here's a more helpful link:
    https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...74947614887936
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Well, that was pretty snarky.

Here's a more helpful link:
    https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...74947614887936
    Well, it's warranted when people make zero effort to inform themselves, then use it as an excuse to shoot down others who have....

NYYF Legend

Cute - I am not one for believing what is being reported by dueling reporters on Twitter. I prefer to wait until something definitive is reported by the teams, not dueling reporters.

I can just as easily cite the following source:

Yankees on verge of acquiring Wells from Angels

Run the video - this reporter states that "it is expected that will be a minimal amount" that the Yankees will pick up.

Bringing up Martin is a valid question: Given a choice between Martin or Wells at $6.5 million a year should be a no-brainer. Martin will arguably give you better offensive production while playing a premium position.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I'm not sure why it's passe to wonder why the yankees would spend $13mm on Vernon Wells but not on Russell Martin during the offseason.

The fact that Cashman didn't make Martin a priority is the point.
    The issue is passe because there is nothing that can be done at this point regarding this issue.

Trying to argue that a decision being made in spring training after half the team has gone down with injuries affected a decision made in the beginning of the off-season are two totally separate, unrelated arguments.

Besides, salary paid to the player and the salary counting towards the luxury tax are two different things entirely. Since the luxury tax number is based on a player's AAV, Martin would have counted as $8.5M no matter what.

Check out this argument. I am not saying that this approach is correct, but could it be the reason why the Yankees would be willing to pay $13M (if that number is correct)?

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7691152

NYYF Legend

Well, it's warranted when people make zero effort to inform themselves, then use it as an excuse to shoot down others who have....
    Totally untrue - I don't bother following the Twitter universe. I find it to be a ridiculous endeavor.

I asked for an link and I appreciate the individual providing it, even if it is entirely (IMO) unreliable.

As for your link, I let it run. The LA Times article reports no number. The NY Daily News article states:

The Angels are expected to pick up a substantial portion of the $42 million Wells is owed over the next two seasons, while the Yankees are expected to send a low-level prospect or two back to Los Angeles.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2OVae9DcU
    I have not read anything that reports anything other than rumors about what the Yankees are potentially going to pay, yet people are reporting things as though it has been announced by MLB.

50 cents says he bumps his head on the plane to Tampa and is on the DL for 4-6 weeks.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial][COLOR=darkred]"This is where I want to be." -Timothy Stackpole,FDNY Firefighter(Div.11)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

NYYF Legend

Just an awful move IMO....13 million over two years? No way we resign Granderson now-our OF next year is Ichiro, Gardner, and Wells. His OPS the last two years is .667! Uggh
    Hoping Rivera can pitch forever!

Quote Originally Posted by parkerstrong View Post
    Just an awful move IMO....13 million over two years? No way we resign Granderson now-our OF next year is Ichiro, Gardner, and Wells. His OPS the last two years is .667! Uggh
    It looks like they'll get Wells "for free" as far as the '14 luxury tax is concerned.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Unless the Yankees FO knows something that we don't about Wells (unlikely) this move reeks of desperation.

F-
    My sentiments exactly. I'm actually hoping this is a Levine special because I don't want to believe Cashman could be capable of such an awful decision.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I'm actually hoping this is a Levine special because I don't want to believe Cashman could be capable of such an awful decision.
    Is it an awful decision if they get Wells for a low level prospect and essentially no luxury tax impact?

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Wells, Granderson, and Ichiro...I would have LOVED this outfield...back in 2006!

Oh, this season is going to be interesting.

NYYF Legend

Is it an awful decision if they get Wells for a low level prospect and essentially no luxury tax impact?
    What is Wells going to give you that you could not have gotten from some combination of Boesch, Francisco, and Mustelier? It is a completely unnecessary move that reeks of desperation.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Still hypothetical of course, but if that's true then the only criticism of the deal would be opportunity cost.

It's a bit disingenuous to make an opportunity cost argument with hindsight (e.g., with that money they could have had Russell Martin or Nick Swisher), particular since most if not all of those hindsight options would have had an impact on the 2014 luxury tax issue. But there is still a potential opportunity cost with respect to who else they could potentially add to the 2013 roster, either now or later in the year. Given the quality of the players they are expecting (hoping) to get back from the DL, the greatest need is now, not later. So on the whole, I can see the reasoning behind this deal even though I'm not sure it really makes the team that much better.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown Bomber View Post
    Wells, Granderson, and Ichiro...I would have LOVED this outfield...back in 2006!

Oh, this season is going to be interesting.
    precisely.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information