Re: Mike Trout's second year

bryce harper as a yankee
    always reasonable

That's a clown question, bro.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Whose is? He also would be cost-controlled, versus Trout hitting FA in his prime.
    Wait a second. The Yankees are cutting payroll to reset the luxury tax and save tons of money...and you're still not willing to sign Trout as a FA in his prime? What's money for?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Wait a second. The Yankees are cutting payroll to reset the luxury tax and save tons of money...and you're still not willing to sign Trout as a FA in his prime? What's money for?
    I clearly didn't get my point across. It's silly to fit Trout for pinstripes now. So my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek; if we're playing the wishing game, I'll "wish" for Williams to develop into a stud in his own right and enjoy watching a home grown player in his prime versus scooping up someone else's star with an insane contract for the tail end of his career.

It's kind of a silly discussion in general, this "can't wait til every good young player is a Yankee!" But you'll not see me commenting that I wouldn't love them to back up the money truck for Trout if he hits FA at this level of production.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    That's a clown question, bro.....
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Only way Trout doesn't steal 30 bases is if he hits so many HRs he doesn't get the chance to steal.

That and injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I clearly didn't get my point across.
    I was just teasing you with that one.

Some say I tend to be difficult.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

oppositional defiant disorder.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    How do the rest of you feel about this tremendous young, talented player. I think he is going to continue his magnificent career and have a great second year. I only wish he eventually becomes a Yankee when he becomes a free agent in years to come.
    How can we get Mike Trout, when Bryce Harper will take his spot?

Yeah, I know I'm super late.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

I honestly think Trout will regress this year...a bit of sophomore slump. He cooled off dramatically in August and especially September last year. Maybe he was just tired, but I think the league adjusted to him a little. So I think this year will come with some adjustment and mark a step back from his 2012 season (not that that's surprising...2012 will be hard to replicate!)

That said, I think he'll be one of the best hitters in baseball for years to come. There may be a few adjustment bumps in 2013, but 2014 and beyond? Watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    I honestly think Trout will regress this year...a bit of sophomore slump. He cooled off dramatically in August and especially September last year. Maybe he was just tired, but I think the league adjusted to him a little. So I think this year will come with some adjustment and mark a step back from his 2012 season (not that that's surprising...2012 will be hard to replicate!)

That said, I think he'll be one of the best hitters in baseball for years to come. There may be a few adjustment bumps in 2013, but 2014 and beyond? Watch out!
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=b#month::none
    like delv, but better

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

Holy balls that Babip.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    You all might think i'm crazy but ah what the hell.

.407/.423/.615 as well as becoming a member of the illustrious 40-40 club.
    I'm not sure what drug(s) i was taking when i made this ridiculous prediction but please make sure that i never come in contact with it ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    What are you trying to show? I think this proves my point...he went from .372 and .392 BA and .950 and 1.3 OPS in the summer to hitting in the .280s in August and September and had crazy (unsustainably?) high BABIP throughout. I didn't say he sucked. He was still very good. But he wasn't omg-best-player-in-baseball in the last few months of the season, and I didn't and don't think he will be this season (so far I'm right, but it's a long season, anything could happen!).

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I'm not sure what drug(s) i was taking when i made this ridiculous prediction but please make sure that i never come in contact with it ever again.
    Wait it wasn't a joke?

NYYF Legend

Give him a break! I think that he will be up into the .330's by the end of June. He is just too anxious and pitchers maybe pitching him differently this year.

He also changed his body type considerably. He gained a LOT of weight. Have no idea how it's affecting him, but he is an athletic and lightning quick ballplayer. I'd imagine bulk would probably not help much since he already had pop. I guess he did it to maintain strength throughout season, but a lot of people did question it when he showed up for ST.

I expect he'll turn it around, but as many have said last year was sort of a statistical anomaly in many ways. He is a true five tool player who should be amongst the better players in the game, but he probably isn't what he was last year.

NYYF Cy Young

Ironic that a second year player with a .275/5/22 in May is considered a disappointment, but that's what you get when you almost win an MVP in your first year.

I expect a .285ish line with similar power numbers to last year, but less RBI. He cooled off in late august and September last season, and that's probably more who he really is. I'd still love to have this kid for $500k a season if I was a GM.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

If I were a GM, I'd figure out a way to lock this kid's next 5 years, or more, down for under 10m a year, Longoria style.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    If I were a GM, I'd figure out a way to lock this kid's next 5 years, or more, down for under 10m a year, Longoria style.
    Can we trade Chris Stewart, Lyle Overbay, Shawn Kelly, and Betances to LA for Trout?

Let's give them Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and Mangold while we're at it.

Hell, they can have the Jets. That city needs a football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Axon View Post
    Ironic that a second year player with a .275/5/22 in May is considered a disappointment, but that's what you get when you almost win an MVP in your first year.

I expect a .285ish line with similar power numbers to last year, but less RBI. He cooled off in late august and September last season, and that's probably more who he really is. I'd still love to have this kid for $500k a season if I was a GM.
    You don't put up those numbers at that age and settle down as a .285ish type of hitter. He's probably not a true talent .340 guy (very few are), but he'll definitely be a lot better than ~.280

He's 21. He's got like 6 years before he enters his prime. Kid is going to be a monster. And I hate saying that about any player that's not a Yankee, but his numbers and his overall "look" as a player says that he'll be among the league's elite for years.

Not even including a 2 for 4 last night with a HR, he has a .940 OPS over his last 24 games, and a 1.066 OPS in May.
    Yes, I'm a girl.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    You don't put up those numbers at that age and settle down as a .285ish type of hitter. He's probably not a true talent .340 guy (very few are), but he'll definitely be a lot better than ~.280
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I suppose we will see. There's no denying his line in August and September of last year was a precipitous drop off, though.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

En fuego, he must have been browsing this thread a couple of weeks ago and got pissed off.

Thread Information