+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Mike Trout's second year

How do the rest of you feel about this tremendous young, talented player. I think he is going to continue his magnificent career and have a great second year. I only wish he eventually becomes a Yankee when he becomes a free agent in years to come.

NYYF Legend

Re: Mike Trout's second year

.302/.373/.515
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I think his overall stats are going to be even better than they were last year. I am a believer.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

You all might think i'm crazy but ah what the hell.

.407/.423/.615 as well as becoming a member of the illustrious 40-40 club.

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

he put on a bunch of weight this offseason.

sophomore slump.

.275/.330/.440
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I think his overall stats are going to be even better than they were last year. I am a believer.
    I agree.

I think he will dropoff somewhat....think 1996 ARod to 1997 ARod. 97 ARod still had an excellent year (.300/.350/.496, 23/84, 100 runs, 29 steals). Just not all the all-worldly .358/.414/.631, 36/123, 141 runs year he had in 1996.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    he put on a bunch of weight this offseason.

sophomore slump.

.275/.330/.440
    3 pounds.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I only wish he eventually becomes a Yankee when he becomes a free agent in years to come.
    it'd be great to have him, but if we're playing the wishing game I wish that Mason Williams comes up in a few years as the next great Yankee CF.

mason williams' ceiling isn't that high
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    mason williams' ceiling isn't that high
    Whose is? He also would be cost-controlled, versus Trout hitting FA in his prime.

oscar taveras

great yankees cf? at least bernie level right. i doubt mason can hit for that much, and the defense is good but it's not like he's gardner

ofc he may go off this year and get a higher 'ceiling' but so far it's not a trout replacement.

given the pyramid distribution of elite talent, mason is not as rare as a trout. but even on absolute value terms, it's too early to put the two in any direct comparison. i'd be happy if mason williams' best season is worth half as much as trout's 2012
    always reasonable

Home runs are projected too high I think. I say 20 give or take. I think he'll steal bags, not 40 though as some believe. He's a 20/30 guy I think. Everything else he will meet or exceed. I am looking forward to seeing him play again.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

oscar taveras

great yankees cf? at least bernie level right. i doubt mason can hit for that much, and the defense is good but it's not like he's gardner

ofc he may go off this year and get a higher 'ceiling' but so far it's not a trout replacement.

given the pyramid distribution of elite talent, mason is not as rare as a trout. but even on absolute value terms, it's too early to put the two in any direct comparison. i'd be happy if mason williams' best season is worth half as much as trout's 2012
    You're missing the context of the original post re "wishing game." Not saying he's likely to produce at '12 Trout levels; not comparing them.

oh sure, if mason williams becomes a star player then that would be a good wish. but how big of a star also matters as to whether that wish is the same level as wishing for trout to sign.

i'm sure there's some cutoff war at which point mason williams > trout in a budget limit scenario. but that's too tedious
    always reasonable

oh sure, if mason williams becomes a star player then that would be a good wish. but how big of a star also matters as to whether that wish is the same level as wishing for trout to sign.

i'm sure there's some cutoff war at which point mason williams > trout in a budget limit scenario. but that's too tedious
    My brain just exploded

There is a point where no matter what the money is, and I don't care how large the gap is, there are players who have and are doing it and players who have to still do it. There is no way in hell that you can possibly convince me that Williams is better than Trout. That is utterly absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    There is a point where no matter what the money is, and I don't care how large the gap is, there are players who have and are doing it and players who have to still do it. There is no way in hell that you can possibly convince me that Williams is better than Trout. That is utterly absurd.
    Relax Steve lol. No one is doing that. In fairness though, let's see Trout do it again.

I hope not because I found it very difficult to keep a shred of respect in my reply. lol

I think he'll be awesome. Not the monster he is predicted to be but elite nonetheless.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    3 pounds.
    I saw an interview with him early in ST where the weight question was posed. He said he only gained 8 lbs.

Anyway, 3 lbs. 8 lbs., whatever the case - I still think he's the real deal. I can see him hitting 25HRS with 20 or so stolen bases.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

The Times article today about him said he promptly dropped the weight shortly after arriving at spring training. He's 21, that what happens when you're that young. Now at 41 it's a whole different story.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I only wish he eventually becomes a Yankee when he becomes a free agent in years to come.
    Yeah so we can pay him 10 figures for the final 2 1/2 solid years before age starts his natural dropoff just like every other free agent the Yankees have overpaid the last 15 years. That's a great plan.

Having said that, my fantasy team is banking on him continuing his stellar play this year.

Let's focus on getting replacements for the elderly before looking to scoop up Trout. besides he's already won over the city, he ain't leaving for a long time. Now Andrus. I want Andrus. He should step aside and be nice and give Profar his chance. Jeter can keep it warm here in NY for a bit.

Trout:
    . 315/.401/.536

Harper
    .335/.430/.600

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Let's focus on getting replacements for the elderly before looking to scoop up Trout. besides he's already won over the city, he ain't leaving for a long time. Now Andrus. I want Andrus. He should step aside and be nice and give Profar his chance. Jeter can keep it warm here in NY for a bit.
    Andrus' offensive value is largely based on speed, and that looks to already be in decline, or perhaps just not as good as it once appeared to be. He had an excellent 85% SB rate as a rookie, it dropped to 68% the next year, rebounded to 78%, then was back down to 68% last year with 21 steals in 31 attempts. He's a 280/345 type hitter with no power whatsoever. His value is almost entirely tied up in defense, and I think even his reputation there is overblown. He makes some spectacular plays, but for his career he's been league average in FLD%, and he dipped below league average in range factors last season. He's been top 3 in the AL in SS errors the past 3 seasons. Boras is going to be looking for borderline elite SS $, and I don't think he's worth it.

As for Trout, I believe and predict a 30/40 season

Thread Information