+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

2013 Hal Steinbrenner Performance Thread

Apologies if anyone's already started one of these, nut I didn't find one.

Hal's only capital with the fan base is his dad's legacy. On his own running this team, he has none. His accomplishments are yet to be measured, and his 2013 team is way more a reflection on him than it is on Cashman. So, it's fair to heap praise or throw dirt on the real architect of the New Yankees. Personally speaking so far, got a shovel here...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Re: 2013 Hal Steinbrenner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Apologies if anyone's already started one of these, nut I didn't find one.

Hal's only capital with the fan base is his dad's legacy. On his own running this team, he has none. His accomplishments are yet to be measured, and his 2013 team is way more a reflection on him than it is on Cashman. So, it's fair to heap praise or throw dirt on the real architect of the New Yankees. Personally speaking so far, got a shovel here...
    I'm not sure I can get on board with your premise.

As long as this team has the albatross of A-Rod's contract hanging from its balance sheet, it's not fair to say this roster is Hal's creation. That contract isn't even Cashman's doing. It's all Hank, maybe with some help from his curly-haired pal Randy.

Take A-Rod's contract off the books and we're not even talking about how cheap the Yankees are for trying to get under $189M ... we're not even debating whether they're going to keep Robinson Cano beyond this year ... etc., etc.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

hey, i found the thread you could have posted this in

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ed-quot-Thread
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    hey, i found the thread you could have posted this in

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ed-quot-Thread
    So, you don't think it's fair to have a discussion about this?

Because it's been talked about in thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread....it's old and Hal doesn't really need his own thread.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Take A-Rod's contract off the books and we're not even talking about how cheap the Yankees are for trying to get under $189M ... we're not even debating whether they're going to keep Robinson Cano beyond this year ... etc., etc.
    And we may have Hamilton, Haren, or Greinke, or Swisher, or Cespedes....etc.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

He's great at predicting the weather:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/20/sp...pagewanted=all

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Because it's been talked about in thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread....it's old and Hal doesn't really need his own thread.
    Simple, don't visit this thread then.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'm not sure I can get on board with your premise.

As long as this team has the albatross of A-Rod's contract hanging from its balance sheet, it's not fair to say this roster is Hal's creation. That contract isn't even Cashman's doing. It's all Hank, maybe with some help from his curly-haired pal Randy.

When you nickel and dime a franchise that pulls in nearly 200+ million dollars a year in revenue after expenses, a number that seemingly grows by the millions every year, you're doing a crappy job. Sell the team please.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    When you nickel and dime a franchise that pulls in nearly 200+ million dollars a year in revenue after expenses, a number that seemingly grows by the millions every year, you're doing a crappy job. Sell the team please.
    It's been only 5 months of fiscal restraint & you want him to sell the team? This fan base is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    It's been only 5 months of fiscal restraint & you want him to sell the team? This fan base is awful.
    It actually started last year when Hal officially put the clamps down on Cashman's spending. This is just a precursor of things to come. This isn't about $189M and I thought that was pretty much understood. The owner doesn't care about the product on the field and as a Yankee fan, that's unacceptable . 2/3's of baseball would die to have New York's revenue stream to build a ball club around, yet most struggle to make ends meet. This isn't a problem the Yankees have to contend with but by the same token, if Hal thinks that New York can switch gears and operate like a small market team and succeed with high expectations, then he's in for a rude awakening.

NYYF Legend

where's that picture of a penis when you need it?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    It actually started last year when Hal officially put the clamps down on Cashman's spending. This is just a precursor of things to come. This isn't about $189M and I thought that was pretty much understood. The owner doesn't care about the product on the field and as a Yankee fan, that's unacceptable . 2/3's of baseball would die to have New York's revenue stream to build a ball club around, yet most struggle to make ends meet. This isn't a problem the Yankees have to contend with but by the same token, if Hal thinks that New York can switch gears and operate like a small market team and succeed with high expectations, then he's in for a rude awakening.
    It is about the 189, and the opportunity it represents.
    Team Northern Lights

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I have no problem with the Yankees actually establishing a budget like the other 29 teams. Now maybe they can really work on developing a farm system.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I have no problem with the Yankees actually establishing a budget like the other 29 teams. Now maybe they can really work on developing a farm system.
    The truth is that 15 of the other 29 teams have increased payroll from last year. Yankee payroll increased by about 6%, but with a number of short term deals in place, and the mandate to cut spending, that increase is temporary and modest. The Dodgers are up over 120%, the Blue Jays are up over 50%, the Nationals are up nearly 40%, the Royals and Reds are up about 30%, and so on. The difference is that the Yankees have lost the flexibility to do much of anything to improve while other teams are loading up. I'm not advocating more spending, but right now this team is in a bit of trouble.

Unfortunately, they got it backwards. They should have built the farm system first, in order to have cheap replacements available when they started cutting MLB budget.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Unfortunately, they got it backwards. They should have built the farm system first, in order to have cheap replacements available when they started cutting MLB budget.
    I agree with this. However, I wouldn't mind a few lean years. Filter out the fanbase.

NYYF Legend

I agree with this. However, I wouldn't mind a few lean years. Filter out the fanbase.
    And give us better draft picks.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    The truth is that 15 of the other 29 teams have increased payroll from last year. Yankee payroll increased by about 6%, but with a number of short term deals in place, and the mandate to cut spending, that increase is temporary and modest. The Dodgers are up over 120%, the Blue Jays are up over 50%, the Nationals are up nearly 40%, the Royals and Reds are up about 30%, and so on. The difference is that the Yankees have lost the flexibility to do much of anything to improve while other teams are loading up. I'm not advocating more spending, but right now this team is in a bit of trouble.
    I think if they can't win without spending $190 million or more, then they have a lot of problems. They bid against themselves for A-Rod when he opted out, and ended up giving him a raise and stupid incentives. If they signed people for decent amounts, instead of trying to overwhelm the market, they'd be in better shape.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

I think Hal has to get a pass. He really didnt gain full control of the entire team till Hank got out of the way. Hank gave Arod the contract. I do think that Hal has to shed himself of the laywers Levine & Trost and get baseball people in there. I also think that if Cashmans farm system doesnt start to show some fruit then he must be fired. I came of age when the Yanks sucked, so I was a fan when Len Sakata was playing 3b so a few years of sucking isnt going to bother me. IF it means letting Cano walk so be it. I dont want the Yanks hands tied with another bad contract when Cano is 37-39.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I think if they can't win without spending $190 million or more, then they have a lot of problems. They bid against themselves for A-Rod when he opted out, and ended up giving him a raise and stupid incentives. If they signed people for decent amounts, instead of trying to overwhelm the market, they'd be in better shape.
    The incentives might actually be the least stupid part of the contract, because if he was hitting them, we'd be in better shape

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    I think Hal has to get a pass. He really didnt gain full control of the entire team till Hank got out of the way. Hank gave Arod the contract. I do think that Hal has to shed himself of the laywers Levine & Trost and get baseball people in there. I also think that if Cashmans farm system doesnt start to show some fruit then he must be fired. I came of age when the Yanks sucked, so I was a fan when Len Sakata was playing 3b so a few years of sucking isnt going to bother me. IF it means letting Cano walk so be it. I dont want the Yanks hands tied with another bad contract when Cano is 37-39.
    Good Len Sakata reference.

They're really at a crossroads now, and I'm willing to take a couple bad years if it gets them on a better path. It seems they're trying to tread water -- a bunch of short term contracts while they let the farm mature (the Yankee version of "bridge years"). Unfortunately, the injuries already this year are putting them in a tough place with this strategy, and it will be a test for them if they can keep to it if it looks like they are going to miss the playoffs. If Hal really wants to operate differently, they're really going to have to hold on to the key prospects and see what they have (or trade them for other cost-controlled guys -- clearly the Yankees are OF prospect heavy).
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    The incentives might actually be the least stupid part of the contract, because if he was hitting them, we'd be in better shape
    Not really. He has 5 years left on his contract, and if he averages only 23 HR a year, he'll break Bonds' all-time record.

He gets $6,000,000 for each of:

HR #660
    HR #714
    HR #755
    HR #762
    HR #763

He's at 647. He'd need to average:

3 HR a Year to hit 660
    14 HR a year to get to 714
    22 HR a year to get to 755
    23 HR a year to get to 762
    23.2 HR a year to get to 763

The first two are gimmes and would do nothing for the team if he hits them. The others at this point are not a sure thing anymore, but a 3B averaging 24 HR a year is not worth the money he is going to get paid, and is probably at or below league average.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Not really. He has 5 years left on his contract, and if he averages only 23 HR a year, he'll break Bonds' all-time record.

He gets $6,000,000 for each of:

HR #660
    HR #714
    HR #755
    HR #762
    HR #763

He's at 647. He'd need to average:

3 HR a Year to hit 660
    14 HR a year to get to 714
    22 HR a year to get to 755
    23 HR a year to get to 762
    23.2 HR a year to get to 763

The first two are gimmes and would do nothing for the team if he hits them. The others at this point are not a sure thing anymore, but a 3B averaging 24 HR a year is not worth the money he is going to get paid, and is probably at or below league average.
    I think he's highly unlikely to average 24 HRs a year for the next 5 years, but only 3 AL 3rd baseman hit 24 or more HRs last year.

Yes, I think he's wildly overpaid, but it would be a pretty good thing for this team if he could somehow hit those milestones, given that the base contract is a sunk cost.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I think he's highly unlikely to average 24 HRs a year for the next 5 years, but only 3 AL 3rd baseman hit 24 or more HRs last year.

Yes, I think he's wildly overpaid, but it would be a pretty good thing for this team if he could somehow hit those milestones, given that the base contract is a sunk cost.
    I hope he doesnt get anywhere close to 714

Thread Information