+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Yankees over/under win prediction

Im going with 87 wins

If I were using real money Id go under...
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Over. I think we are at the 90 win mark or so with our pitching.

NYYF Triple Crown

It's hard not to be pessimistic about this season. All the injuries plus this self-imposed budget would do that to you.

Under.

NYYF Legend

Over..between 85 and 90 wins, which won't be enough to make the post season. If anything happens to CC, or Hiro..it would be under, by quite a bit.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Just barely under and the Yankees make some ridiculous trade in which they ship a top prospect for a vet out of desperation to try and make the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by Jax Teller; 03-19-13 at 02:10 PM.

NYYF Legend

84-86 wins. Even with good starting pitching I can't see them winning more than 86 games this season.

Released Outright

Over. Anyone who says under is just being silly.

NYYF Legend

everyone is citing the pitching, but it's unrealistic to expect a repeat performance from kuroda this season, and to expect andy to go 200IP... not to mention CC is coming off elbow surgery

it doesn't matter if it's between 85-90, because that's probably not going to be enough to make the playoffs... and i agree with the people who are saying they're going to make a stupid move at the trading deadline anyway
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

93-69
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    everyone is citing the pitching, but it's unrealistic to expect a repeat performance from kuroda this season, and to expect andy to go 200IP... not to mention CC is coming off elbow surgery

it doesn't matter if it's between 85-90, because that's probably not going to be enough to make the playoffs... and i agree with the people who are saying they're going to make a stupid move at the trading deadline anyway
    People are overestimating the other teams in the league. We are not definitively worse than any team in our division. If all continues to break wrong, sure. But right now there's no run away team in the AL east.
    Team Northern Lights

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I'm not so sure the high 80s won't be enough for one of the two WC spots -- I think the parity in the East is going to keep win totals relatively low, and the Central probably doesn't have two teams good enough to surpass 90.

I think the starting pitching is a strength but, as you allude to -- very fragile. It should be a deep starting five, with Phelps replacing Nova if he pitches like last year.

I'll go against the grain and say they won't trade one of their big prospects -- unless they're getting back someone relatively young and cheap with some controllable years left. I think Hal will still be fixated on 189.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I agree that expecting 200 IP from Andy is not realistic. However I don't think in one season Kuroda is going to just lose it all at once. Is it reasonable to expect a slight decline from 2012? Yes, but I don't think he's going to turn to dirt at once. I'm not concerned about CC. I think 90 wins is very doable provided Tex is able to play this season. I also like our pitching depth with either Phelps or Nova as a sixth starter if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    How does a baseball team record half a win?
    You obviously can't win half a game.

but you can easily push a win total of say 86.....kind of sucks on a 6 month long bet when your cash is tied up. I'd rather have that "hook" ( gambling term) in place for a season long bet, but I don't bet win totals.

Football and basketball games often have that hook ( half point) on sides and totals. baseball totals are frequently between 7-10 runs, often with a hook like over/ under 9.5 runs. You can also bet baseball +/- 1.5 runs instead of moneyline.

I posted the early win total odds when they came out, seems they have dropped.

my bad as it was 86.5 a month ago.

NYYF Cy Young

If Tex needs surgery, I see it going down to 80, and in enough trouble by the trade deadline that they don't bother.

It would not move that much over Teix, books don't like being exposed to "middles" and the win totals usually are closed about the time the season starts.

no way you can get a middle like that !

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    How does a baseball team record half a win?
    The same way a football team gets half a point.

NYYF MVP

I'm going with 68 wins.
    “When you have the chance to take the ball for the World Champs, you take the ball.”—Roger Clemens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    If Tex needs surgery, I see it going down to 80, and in enough trouble by the trade deadline that they don't bother.
    Tex was a 3 win player over the entire season last year...
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I believe he's dead serious. Not everyone is enamored with this team.
    I am serious. There is a lot of offense gone from this team and I don't see the pitching being a lot better than last year. Even if Granderson, A-Rod and Teixeira come back healthy at some point, are they going to produce more than last year? Who else can be better than last year? Jeter? Doubtful. Cano? I'd like to see it but he might be marginally better at best. The catching position? Really? How many HRs are the Yankees going to get from outfielders this year? Is Ichiro going to hit .322 or better all season?

Is CC poised for a monster season? I think we've probably seen CC at the best he's ever going to be. As others have said, Pettitte doesn't look like a 200 inning pitcher. Kuroda might be able to duplicate last year but maybe not. Nova really should be better than last year but who knows? Maybe yes, maybe no. Hughes? I don't see a Cy Young in his future.

Sorry, but this team just doesn't look that great and considering the injuries, I'm just not seeing it.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I don't believe we can compare this team's win totals to last year. The offense is a shell of what it was in 2012, and that's without knowing whether Tex is even going to play at all. I have no illusions of Youk not getting hurt himself at some point. And the team, as constructed, is like a house of cards. Last year's win total is irrelevant. We start over this year. I'm gonna say 84 wins, and that's trying to be as optimistic as I can.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I really see them as a .500 type of team as well.

part of that 86.5 win line is based on them acquiring players later on....and I don't think they will do that this year, they would have done it already if they were going to do so.

Too many things can go wrong with so many old players and no depth to back them up and the team trying to get under 189mm next year.

this season is not a priority and a 3rd place finish is likely !

What happens if Cano gets hurt ?

under 86.5 is a great bet.

NYYF Legend

Under. 85 wins.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

83 wins.

Between CC, Pettite, Jeter, Youk, Mo and Kuroda, I have to figure there will be two more injuries with signficant lost playing time and that, combined with their current situation, makes this a pretty bleak season for the Yanks...

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    93-69
    Man, such a pessimist.

I have this team at 114-48 for the regular season and 14-0 in the post-season.

I also have Boston losing 110 games this season and the Colorado Rockies relocating to Havana mid-season due to the humidor going out, requiring the relo.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information