+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2013 Umpire Performance Thread

Might as well start this off with Angel Hernandez' strike two call in the ninth inning of the WBC game between the US and the DR:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...omint_usaint_1
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2013 Umpire Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Might as well start this off with Angel Hernandez' strike two call in the ninth inning of the WBC game between the US and the DR:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...omint_usaint_1

How Angel Hernandez still has a job is one of the great mysteries of the universe

As an umpire he actually does many things very well (mechanically). Even on that pitch, he slots on the inside corner with a clear view, positions his eyes at the top of the strike zone as he should, doesn't move a muscle, lets the ball travel to the glove, follows it with his eyes, has great timing before making the call ... then brainfarts ... again. Mind boggling.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Interesting ejection tonight.

Quick hook, but I'd take it over that 'warning both benches' crap.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Carrasco has just come off suspension for intentionally drilling Billy Butler after giving up a HR to Melky in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Carrasco has just come off suspension for intentionally drilling Billy Butler after giving up a HR to Melky in 2011.
    I think it was more of the location than just the fact that he hit him.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

I agree. If umps think a guy is intentionally drilling a player, toss him. If not, don't. Warnings are stupid.

NYYF Legend

I think it was more of the location than just the fact that he hit him.
    The location does matter and in this case, it was a lot like the one he drilled Butler. So it wouldn't surprise me if the ump linked them together. Francona also understood why Carrasco got ejected and that's probably why he didn't try to get himself ejected.

NYYF Legend

I thought that the rookie ump Jordan Baker had a poor game calling balls/strikes last night.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

I'm not griping over the call, but I'm genuinely curious if we should've been 3-2 on Robbie Cano's check swing HBP.

The home plate umpire called it a HBP, but was overruled by the first base umpire calling a strike for the K. Rule 9.02 clearly states that a strike call from the base ump will overrule whatever the home plate umpire calls, so that's fine.

What I'm wondering is if the base ump should be allowed to call it. As far as I can tell from reading the rule, he is able to make the call when asked by the home plate umpire or when an appeal is made. The home plate umpire already made his call and didn't seem to ask. I didn't see a D-back ask the base ump for a ruling, so it's very possible that someone did.

Assuming no one did, though, would the first base ump be allowed to make the strike call?

Quote Originally Posted by groovitude View Post
    I'm not griping over the call, but I'm genuinely curious if we should've been 3-2 on Robbie Cano's check swing HBP.

The home plate umpire called it a HBP, but was overruled by the first base umpire calling a strike for the K. Rule 9.02 clearly states that a strike call from the base ump will overrule whatever the home plate umpire calls, so that's fine.

What I'm wondering is if the base ump should be allowed to call it. As far as I can tell from reading the rule, he is able to make the call when asked by the home plate umpire or when an appeal is made. The home plate umpire already made his call and didn't seem to ask. I didn't see a D-back ask the base ump for a ruling, so it's very possible that someone did.

Assuming no one did, though, would the first base ump be allowed to make the strike call?
    Should have been the third base ump who made the call anyway.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Should have been the third base ump who made the call anyway.
    That may all be true. It was, however, the correct call.

I think this sort of thing should happen more often. Maybe this wasn't the best procedure, exactly, but I'd like to see umpires encouraged to signal for conferences when one sees something another doesn't.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That may all be true. It was, however, the correct call.

I think this sort of thing should happen more often. Maybe this wasn't the best procedure, exactly, but I'd like to see umpires encouraged to signal for conferences when one sees something another doesn't.
    Yeah, he definitely went around.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by groovitude View Post

It's a fair question but they ultimately made the right call. I'm more annoyed at Cano for swinging at such a bad pitch.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Someone needs to post Laz Diaz's strike zone chart after this game. He is beyond awful.

NYYF Legend

Surprised this thread hasn't been bumped in light of the controversial replay call in Cleveland last night: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Even for Angel Hernandez this is a disgusting display of arrogance and incompetence. That was clearly a homerun.

Oh man, that's terrible. Rangers get a gift to help them win a game earlier this season, As get screwed over to help them lose a game last night.

If the Rangers win the division by a game or two...yikes.

There should be an NHL style of replay. All calls made from NY

NYYF Legend

Didn't watch yesterday game. Was Boesch safe at first base?

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Didn't watch yesterday game. Was Boesch safe at first base?
    At first I didn't think so, but on a later replay I think he was.

They only showed it twice. It was a tough call.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    How Angel Hernandez still has a job is one of the great mysteries of the universe
    It truly is a blanking miracle.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Did the umps really give a BB for 3 balls?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Did the umps really give a BB for 3 balls?
    Apparently.

Lorenzo Cain was given a walk in the fifth inning, but it was actually a 2-2 pitch. The scoreboard said it was 3-2. “I know it’s 2-2, and I’m bouncing a ball in front of home plate,” Pettitte said. “Everybody in the ballpark looks at me like I’m nuts.”
    ... the Cain walk was definitely not a walk. “We thought in the dugout it was 2-2,” Girardi said. “And then I didn’t see Stew react. A lot of times I go on the player, and he threw over about 10 times, so I thought, maybe I missed a ball. I’m not sure that I did.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/05/1...game-notes-42/

NYYF Legend

Here is how MLB.com recorded the at bat in question:

4.Lorenzo Cain walks. Alcides Escobar to 2nd.

Pitcher
    A. Pettitte
    Batter
    L. Cain

Speed Pitch Result
    1 89 Fastball (Two-seam) Ball
    2 80 Slider Foul
    3 83 Slider Foul
    4 86 Cutter Ball
    5 84 Slider Ball
    6 89 Fastball (Four-seam) Foul (Runner Going)
    7 84 Slider Ball In Dirt

Now that first pitch ...

1 89 Fastball (Two-seam) Ball

... was actually pretty clearly low and inside, but despite what it says here, it was indeed called a strike. Cain wasn't happy, and Cone and Singleton joked about it. Coney said, "There was just something Wegner (the home plate ump) liked about it." (It reminded him of an old-time ump who had said something to that effect when asked wny he called a pitch a strike.)

As the at bat went on, YES continued to show the correct count on screen, until Pettitte threw what should have been Ball Two (pitch #5). At this point Singleton, who was evidently going by the scoreboard, announced that the count was full and the runner would be going. And then the on-screen number switched from two balls to three.

The next pitch was fouled off, then Pettitte threw what should have been Ball Three, and naturally enough, the batter didn't move right away. More jokes from Cone and Singleton, who speculated that maybe Cain wasn't familiar with the concept of "walking." Pettitte just looked bewildered. There was a long conference with Stewart, but it didn't look like anyone said anything to Wegner.

I've heard of umpires giving "make-up calls," but this is the first time I can recall an umpire making up for a bad call by considering it a strike ex post facto.

EDIT: Watching Yankees Encore now, and Cone and Singleton had it figured out by the eighth inning. They even showed a speeded-up replay of the whole at bat. No doubt about it: Cain walked on Ball Three.

Thread Information