+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
    NYYF Legend

Re: Mariano Rivera to announce retirement after the 2013 season

Although the circumstances were of course extremely sad and heart-breaking, I am sure that NY fans, on July 4th 1939 were very grateful that they had the opportunity to say good-bye to another Yankee legend, Lou Gehrig. I'm sure that fans across the country wished they had the same chance. Both men realize(d) that they are(were) part of a franchise like no other. Both men wanted their day to be remembered postively. Both men play(ed) with some of the best in the game in their respective eras. Both men possess(ed) humility, class and dignity.

I'm sure that Mo would much rather just pitch his last game and quietly announce his retirement in November, but he realizes that he too is one of the luckiest men on the face of the earth and he wants to be able to share that.

http://www.lougehrigspeech.com/
    Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans. Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Nice Press Conference. It's sad such a great man (in my mind) has gone down in class a notch.

I just really hate this announcing you have an upcoming press conference to announce your retirement in 8 months.

It's not the end of the world, he's still a great Yankee, I just wish he would have bowed out gracefully.
    Seriously?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    That off season was not bad because going in no one knew what would happen. In fact most were excited about it IIRC.
    Anyone excited about the idea of Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano pitching for the Yankees was either sipping the KoolAid or just wasn't paying attention.

Javy was a year earlier Btw.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It would be even better if they scrapped "Enter Sandman" and played some Billy Joel instead.

Was initially thinking Fogerty's Centerfield too -- but, hey, why not the Ultimate for the Ultimate?

Off the top of head -- Yanks could pay off Arod's salary with Xtra Kleenex sales too -

He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan View Post
    Anyone excited about the idea of Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano pitching for the Yankees was either sipping the KoolAid or just wasn't paying attention.

Javy was a year earlier Btw.
    Yeah, that's the point - Javy was a year earlier and disappointed. RJ was still killing it in 2004, so acquiring him, AND, for Javy, no less, was indeed exciting. We had our dominating ace (or, so we thought). Everyone thought that the least Pavano would do was give us innings (200+ the preceding 2 yrs.), and 2004 seemed like a break out year for him, finally living up to his potential. If, in 2005, you predicted what would follow, then I'd like to go in with you on a lottery ticket.

I still stand by this being a far worse off-season than 2004/2005. Mo retiring, injuries, the signing of grandfathers (to an already aging, declining team) and invalids. Now look at the roster that RJ was added to in the 2004 off-season. Not sure how that didn't excite most fans, regardless of what they thought about Pavano and Wright (who also had a very good 2004). Their contracts might have sucked, but who was counting George's money in those days, other than his accountants? Plus, Pavano was very much in demand, even by our rivals.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Plus, Pavano was very much in demand, even by our rivals.
    This is easy to forget because of the end result but very true. Many fans were, at the time, very happy he signed with the Yankees despite Boston offering him more $$. It was considered at that time another evil empire end-around on the sox that made NYY fans snicker in delight (remember those days?) If I recall he had more than one higher $$ offer.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

NYYF Legend

I rarely play thread police, but there is something slightly profane about discussing Pavano in Mariano's retirement thread. Just my humble opinion.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Although the circumstances were of course extremely sad and heart-breaking, I am sure that NY fans, on July 4th 1939 were very grateful that they had the opportunity to say good-bye to another Yankee legend, Lou Gehrig. I'm sure that fans across the country wished they had the same chance. Both men realize(d) that they are(were) part of a franchise like no other. Both men wanted their day to be remembered postively. Both men play(ed) with some of the best in the game in their respective eras. Both men possess(ed) humility, class and dignity.

I'm sure that Mo would much rather just pitch his last game and quietly announce his retirement in November, but he realizes that he too is one of the luckiest men on the face of the earth and he wants to be able to share that.

http://www.lougehrigspeech.com/
    My dad was there.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I did not want Pavano. Many folks around here didn't.

Same with RJ. My excitement was more fueled by what happened in October than the actual deal. I was excited but skeptical.

And you're completely ignoring Jaret Wright.

NYYF Legend

My dad was there.
    Wow - it must have been an amazing experience for him.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan View Post
    I did not want Pavano. Many folks around here didn't.

Same with RJ. My excitement was more fueled by what happened in October than the actual deal. I was excited but skeptical.

And you're completely ignoring Jaret Wright.
    RJs first outing against Boston made it seem like he was going to be awesome.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Thank you Mo for all the wonderful memories. I'm sure more are to follow this season.
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.com

My dad was there.
    So was Muggs.
    You can't get a sun-tan on the moon.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    So was Muggs.
    That was Muggs' 40th year of attending YS.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Thread Information