+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Mariano Rivera to announce retirement after the 2013 season

Via Joel Sherman: Mariano Rivera will hold a press conference on Saturday morning to announce his retirement from baseball following the 2013 season. He could always change his mind between now and then, but don’t count on it. The press conference is scheduled for 10am ET in Tampa.

Joel Sherman tweet: https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...24841358012416

Edit: This may belong in the Player Performance thread, not sure so mods feel free to delete this in favor of this: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7684984

Addicted Member

Re: Mariano Rivera to announce retirement after the 2013 season

I knew this was going to happen eventually but it is still hard to believe. I hope Mo has a glorious send-off into the baseball sunset.

Sad...so sad, as inevitable is it might be.

The day Mo throws his last pitch for us is unimaginable.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

I wish players would just retire after they play their last game. I hate this announcing an upcoming press conference to announce intentions to retire 8 months from now. It's absurd.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I wish players would just retire after they play their last game. I hate this announcing an upcoming press conference to announce intentions to retire 8 months from now. It's absurd.
    I think it's a nice gesture to allow fans to know that it's their last chance to see someone who has been a special player for a long time.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

If a scumbag like Ray Lewis gets to end his career with a title, certainly the baseball gods will allow karma to intervene so one of the all time class acts Rivera can too right?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I think it's a nice gesture to allow fans to know that it's their last chance to see someone who has been a special player for a long time.
    I agree. Mo realizes what a tremendous impact he's had on NY fans and baseball fans everywhere. I'm sure he'd rather just ride off into the sunset, but I think he loves Yankee fans as much as we love him.

If he changes his mind, I sure won't care if he keeps the Hummer.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I just completely disagree. Mo is a private, humble man. This is out of character and unbecoming.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

I just completely disagree. Mo is a private, humble man. This is out of character and unbecoming.
    I agree. Not sure why he is doing this. It's a bit of a Kardashian thing to say something to warrant attention. I'm sure we are...doooooooooomed now!

Quote Originally Posted by BBombers85 View Post
    I agree. Not sure why he is doing this. It's a bit of a Kardashian thing to say something to warrant attention. I'm sure we are...doooooooooomed now!
    I don't really care that he holds a press conference to announce he's retiring. But if I were a player I wouldn't do it just in case I change my mind later. If you say you're gong to go and then change your mind, people get annoyed, rightly or wrongly.

I think Paul O'Neill did it best. didn't really say much despite all the questions and then afte rthe season was over said, "I'm through."

the one that was really irritating to me was the Cal Ripken sendoff. A constant road show all around the league with teams giving him gifts and all that nonsense. Of course, that is what I guess Rivera might be in for as well.

Chipper got that, too. But, you know what? Chipper earned it. I like seeing the "good" baseball guys getting awesome send offs.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I don't really care that he holds a press conference to announce he's retiring. But if I were a player I wouldn't do it just in case I change my mind later. If you say you're gong to go and then change your mind, people get annoyed, rightly or wrongly.

I think Paul O'Neill did it best. didn't really say much despite all the questions and then afte rthe season was over said, "I'm through."

the one that was really irritating to me was the Cal Ripken sendoff. A constant road show all around the league with teams giving him gifts and all that nonsense. Of course, that is what I guess Rivera might be in for as well.
    I was actually joking. However, I do think Rivera is serious and as one of the all time greats, I think it's great for baseball to honor him, if they do. Looking at legends of the past I never got to see, if someone of that stature is retiring, fans across the sport will want to go get one last glimpse. Outside of Jeter, there is no one left in the sport I consider to be great/legendary at this point. It'll be sad times when he is out as well.

EDIT: Someone will argue Pujols here and to them I'll say I don't consider him legendary. Just great.

NYYF Legend

The worst part is that it's not even like you can plan to see him for the final time, considering you don't know before games if the closer will pitch.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The worst part is that it's not even like you can plan to see him for the final time, considering you don't know before games if the closer will pitch.
    If he's healthy and there's not a good reason for keeping him out of the game (e.g, being overworked, tight race and they'd rather rest him) I bet he'll make an appearance on 9/26
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Mo probably does want to give fans a chance to see him and know. He knows who gives the Steinbrenner's the money to pay him.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If he's healthy and there's not a good reason for keeping him out of the game (e.g, being overworked, tight race and they'd rather rest him) I bet he'll make an appearance on 9/26

...in the outfield. (hope). He's always wanted to.

Mariano can fund the construction of a monument in his name and I will be fine with it. He deserves a send off.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

No surprise considering he'd already be retired if not for the injury. Hope this team gives him a chance to pitch in a pennant race/playoffs again.

It won't be as weird to me not having him around as it might have been, kind of got used to it last year

NYYF Legend

If that is true, why would he hold a Press conference to announce his retirement? I am glad the fans will have a chance to honor him. Let's hope that this team will give him enough chances to give him an opportunity to save their games.

Someone who has been as great, classy and consistent as Mariano deserves to go out on top and him being a key part of another championship Yankee team. Baseball gods are not cooperating at the moment. If this really is it, here's hoping his last appearance will be getting the final out of a World Series clinching game at the Stadium. It would be sad if it's a meaningless game at home with 3 games still remaining or on the road against the Astros of all teams to end the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    If that is true, why would he hold a Press conference to announce his retirement? I am glad the fans will have a chance to honor him. Let's hope that this team will give him enough chances to give him an opportunity to save their games.
    Exactly. I guess my assessment of him is wrong. He's just another attention whore.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I think the worst part is that he'll likely be playing his final season on one of the worst Yankees teams he's played on in his career. It's a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Exactly. I guess my assessment of him is wrong. He's just another attention whore.
    I can't tell if you're serious, but yeesh. The guy can go out any damn way he well pleases. Would you have rathered he just hung 'em up after last season when he barely pitched? Slunk off into the wilderness on a low (and humble!) note? He's an all time great calling it quits. It's something that should be celebrated and enjoyed, especially by Yankees fans. It's also a very major milestone in his life, and I couldn't begrudge him doing it his way in almost any circumstance. I doubt he'll be shooting off bottle rockets after each save, I'm sure he'll be the same Sandman throughout the season. Try to enjoy it, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Chipper got that, too. But, you know what? Chipper earned it. I like seeing the "good" baseball guys getting awesome send offs.
    Agreed. Mariano is one of the most special players I've ever seen. There won't be another of his kind for a long time, quite possibly forever. Cal Ripken and Chipper Jones were special in the same way (albeit to different fanbases). They deserved every minute of their sendoff tours. In the end, I think it's more for the fans than it is for the player himself, anyway. It gives us a chance to reflect upon how special he is while we're still watching him pitch.

Besides, does anyone [e.g. all you he's-such-an-attention-whore people] really think that by NOT announcing his retirement, Mo would avoid a media frenzy? Come on. There will be a media frenzy either way. At least this way, the frenzy will be reflecting on an amazing career instead of just endless will he-won't he speculation.

always reasonable

Thread Information