+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

The Official "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" thread

Injuries to Tex, ARod, Granderson and Hughes? Dime store catchers manning the plate? One of the older, if not, oldest teams in the game? Signing an old, declining player to replace Swisher in RF? Signing two other aging, declining, beat-up players with the words "Nick Johnson" written across their foreheads?

Not to worry! After all, we are the Yankees, and don't you forget it! A record-breaking 122 wins during the regular season is upon us and we will, in fact, glide through the playoffs on our way to # 28! Bank on it!

I'm so excited that I cannot control my exclamation points!

Re: The Official "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" thread

You forgot to include a certain oral delight in your thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    You forgot to include a certain oral delight in your thread title.
    Banana-bread e-cigs?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Released Outright

This team gonna be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Banana-bread e-cigs?
    Penis

Cashman can jump out of a plane for all I care... oh, never mind.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Cy Young

OK, it's a good antidote to the we're doomed thread, but really, you need a little more. How about a slogan, like, "Hope."
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Injuries to Tex, ARod, Granderson and Hughes? Dime store catchers manning the plate? One of the older, if not, oldest teams in the game? Signing an old, declining player to replace Swisher in RF? Signing two other aging, declining, beat-up players with the words "Nick Johnson" written across their foreheads?

Not to worry! After all, we are the Yankees, and don't you forget it! A record-breaking 122 wins during the regular season is upon us and we will, in fact, glide through the playoffs on our way to # 28! Bank on it!

I'm so excited that I cannot control my exclamation points!
    Yippie !! It's 1965 again !! I feel young again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Love the thread. Sparkles and rainbows ftw.

There's a lot of reason to hope for this team. Just think back to our pitching staffs in 04-05, then take a glance at the 2013 pitching staff, and it's clear that in some ways, we're moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    Yippie !! It's 1965 again !! I feel young again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But better - we will never have to watch a tenth-place team again!!!!!
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

They only dropped to 6th in 65... but yeah, you're right, we had the pleasure of watching Johnny Keane's club sink to 10th (last) the next year. From that point, it was all uphill !!
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Legend

Jeter in the batter's box, Mo on the mound ... All's right with the world, no?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    They only dropped to 6th in 65... but yeah, you're right, we had the pleasure of watching Johnny Keane's club sink to 10th (last) the next year. From that point, it was all uphill !!
    And, since then it's almost been smooth sailing all the way, baby!

The 2013 Yankees laugh at the '65, '66 (10th place), '67 (9th) -'75 teams! For one, they know they cannot finish in 10th place! Or 9th! Or 6th!

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    OK, it's a good antidote to the we're doomed thread, but really, you need a little more. How about a slogan, like, "Hope."
    "Hope" is a good choice, but, personally, I prefer something more definitive and positive, like, "Winning!" or "Yes, we will!"

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

And, since then it's almost been smooth sailing all the way, baby!

The 2013 Yankees laugh at the '65, '66 (10th place), '67 (9th) -'75 teams! For one, they know they cannot finish in 10th place! Or 9th! Or 6th!
    People forget that the 1970 team won 93 games. It was well-balanced with good pitching. The 1972 team was in the pennant race down to the last week.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    People forget that the 1970 team won 93 games. It was well-balanced with good pitching. The 1972 team was in the pennant race down to the last week.
    You're right. Interestingly enough, it was a peak into the success the team had in the near future ('76-78). A few tweaks here and there, good trades, Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin and voilā.

You're right. Interestingly enough, it was a peak into the success the team had in the near future ('76-78). A few tweaks here and there, good trades, Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin and voilā.
    It was a little more than a few tweaks. The 1970 team was good - and a breath of fresh air for us young faithful fans - but it was almost entirely remade before it became a championship team. Munson and White were the only carryovers. Trades for Lyle, Chambliss, Piniella, Nettles (more a swindle than a trade), Randolph, Rivers, Figueroa, Dent, Tidrow and probably others I've forgotten; Catfish as a free agent, followed by Gullett (some help for a year), Reggie and then Gossage; and some skinny lefty who came up through the system and sat in the bullpen for a while, picking up tips from Lyle about throwing a slider.
    - Barry Manilow

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Well Phelps is sharp so far and Nova seems to be dedicated to erasing last year's failures. That's good.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It was a little more than a few tweaks. The 1970 team was good - and a breath of fresh air for us young faithful fans - but it was almost entirely remade before it became a championship team. Munson and White were the only carryovers. Trades for Lyle, Chambliss, Piniella, Nettles (more a swindle than a trade), Randolph, Rivers, Figueroa, Dent, Tidrow and probably others I've forgotten; Catfish as a free agent, followed by Gullett (some help for a year), Reggie and then Gossage; and some skinny lefty who came up through the system and sat in the bullpen for a while, picking up tips from Lyle about throwing a slider.
    I use Munson as a benchmark. Things started to get better around the same time as Thurman's arrival. Like you have listed there was more to it than that but Munson coincided with the terrible mid-60s ending. (free agency didn't hurt things either)

it's a pretty boring team. wake me up when one of the young guys comes up to the majors

boring means not so attached to things so i can relax
    always reasonable

Derek Lee? wtf? Dont the Yanks have a kid they can plug in for a month to see what hes got? Why the manlove for these old players?

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Derek Lee? wtf? Dont the Yanks have a kid they can plug in for a month to see what hes got? Why the manlove for these old players?
    Easy, brother, they have reached out to Chipper Jones, so we are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Easy, brother, they have reached out to Chipper Jones, so we are ok.
    Yes, I heard. So sad. Lets call a retired player rather than give a kid a look for a month.

NYYF MVP

Hah, he called him Larry.

Just a thought, for a month till Grandy & Tex get back put Heathcott in CF & Mostiellier at 3b. Why must they always have to go with washed up vets. We been hearing about Heathcott for a while give him a taste lets see what hes got.

Thread Information