+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Day v Night Games

    Hello guys,

    I only seem to post on this forum every couple of years as I look to attend my two yearly Yankee game.

    The previous times I have been to see the Yankees I have attended the Friday evening game. I just wondered which match is better? Day or Night?

    We are heading over in July so it will be the Friday game against Twins or the Sat/Sun game.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Yankee View Post
    We are heading over in July so it will be the Friday game against Twins or the Sat/Sun game.
    One factor for a day game is the sun, especially in July. If you don't want to bake in the sun you'll need to be careful as to where you sit. Many more of the seats on the first base side will be in the shade as compared to the third base side.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

  3. #3

    Re: Day v Night Games

    How far do you need to travel and how do you get to the stadium?

    I like night games because I can just jump on the D after work and be at the stadium before the National Anthem. But if I had to drive in after work and then have to drive home after the game, I probably wouldn't like them so much.

    Days games are great but like said above, can be hot. The 4pm starts are nice because the sun is quite as direct, though it tends to stay on certain seats for a pretty long time. I've found that the new stadium is constructed so that there seems to be less direct sunlight overall but you can still get stuck in some.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    NJ Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ

    Re: Day v Night Games

    If you are bringing kids, Sunday is Bat Day. If you're not with kids.... keep in mind that there will be a LOT of kids at Sunday's game.

  5. #5

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    How far do you need to travel and how do you get to the stadium?

    I like night games because I can just jump on the D after work and be at the stadium before the National Anthem. But if I had to drive in after work and then have to drive home after the game, I probably wouldn't like them so much.

    Days games are great but like said above, can be hot. The 4pm starts are nice because the sun is quite as direct, though it tends to stay on certain seats for a pretty long time. I've found that the new stadium is constructed so that there seems to be less direct sunlight overall but you can still get stuck in some.

    Thanks for the replies. It is probably the heat that is putting us off the day game. The Friday night games are usually a good atmosphere with it being a Friday. However, both times have been delayed due to rain So hopefully it will be third time lucky and no delay.

    We will be going to the Stadium from Midtown Manhattan no doubt. We are planning to arrive from Washington D.C at about Lunchtime.

  6. #6
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: Day v Night Games

    I would go with a day game. In the new stadium, you can always get up and walk around if your seat is too hot. Also, you can try to choose a seat that is under an overhang. The seats behind home plate would be in the shade as the game goes on.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

  7. #7
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Yankee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It is probably the heat that is putting us off the day game. The Friday night games are usually a good atmosphere with it being a Friday. However, both times have been delayed due to rain So hopefully it will be third time lucky and no delay.

    We will be going to the Stadium from Midtown Manhattan no doubt. We are planning to arrive from Washington D.C at about Lunchtime.
    If you are worried about heat in a day game, look at the back of the main level (200 level)- rows 15 and back- on the first base/right field side. It is completely covered and in the shade so is cooler than the other seats in the stadium. Also in July in NYC, there can be thunderstorms at night so there is less of a chance of a rain delay in a day game. And if there is rain, you are under cover.

  8. #8

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    One factor for a day game is the sun, especially in July. If you don't want to bake in the sun you'll need to be careful as to where you sit. Many more of the seats on the first base side will be in the shade as compared to the third base side.
    I bought the 9 game plan with the intention of going only to day games during the week - I'm getting back to purist baseball starting times. I decided on 312 since it is on the shady side of the field (just behind first base). You are right, if you are on the third base side at a summer day game it can be brutal.

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sec.416

    Re: Day v Night Games

    If daytime sun is an issue, check out Yankees.com.

    Go to the "Yankee Stadium " tab at the top-middle of the page and look for the "Yankee Stadium Virtual Venue"

    The map there shows approximately where the sun splashes during day games. This obviously changes as we go from spring/summer, but it gives a good general representation.

    I remember there was an option years back where you could change the time of day from say 1PM start to 4pm start, and the shadows would adjust accordingly on the map. I have yet to find that option on the new "Virtual Venue" map.
    **** The skeptic of skeptics ****

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    One factor for a day game is the sun, especially in July. If you don't want to bake in the sun you'll need to be careful as to where you sit. Many more of the seats on the first base side will be in the shade as compared to the third base side.
    Last year, my daughter & I attended OTD with seats in the LF bleachers - it was BRUTAL. I am pretty sure it was over 100* and you simply could not escape the heat and we tried pretty much everything.

    We actually left as the regular game was starting - I really only wanted to see the Old Timers, so it was not big deal to me to get up and leave.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  11. #11
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Westchester

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Last year, my daughter & I attended OTD with seats in the LF bleachers - it was BRUTAL. I am pretty sure it was over 100* and you simply could not escape the heat and we tried pretty much everything.

    We actually left as the regular game was starting - I really only wanted to see the Old Timers, so it was not big deal to me to get up and leave.
    I actually skipped old timers day for exactly that reason last year. I stupidly got seats on the 3rd base side and my wedding day was 2 weeks after OTD. I was so afraid of getting a sun burn and be peeling in my wedding photos.

  12. #12
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jersey

    Re: Day v Night Games

    In the middle of the summer, night game over day game every time if you have a choice. In the summer you will still have some daylight hours even when the game starts so best of both worlds. Some people can stand the heat but it can really be uncomfortable, shade and water is your friend. If you are directly in the sun, good luck for those 4 hours you bake to death. Even though its hot as hell if you are in a non shade area best to cover up with a light layer or feel those lovely rays cook your skin.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

  13. #13

    Re: Day v Night Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Yankee View Post
    Hello guys,

    I only seem to post on this forum every couple of years as I look to attend my two yearly Yankee game.

    The previous times I have been to see the Yankees I have attended the Friday evening game. I just wondered which match is better? Day or Night?

    We are heading over in July so it will be the Friday game against Twins or the Sat/Sun game.

    Thoughts?
    I'd definitely do a night game. Depends on what you can tolerate but for me when I would go more often I'd love to pull into the lot around 5 pm on a Friday night, have a couple beers and a sandwhich in the lot and go in with the temps starting to cool off. Even then it can still be hot but it's better than going to a game and it's a heat wave and you're blue Yankees shirt now has white sweat stains on it or you're going to the concessions every five minutes to fill up on water and soda. Also I'm pretty confident you can find cheaper tickets on the secondary market for a Friday game versus Saturday or Sunday.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts