+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    LOL - that's the strategy I've used for years. This year, I waited too long and LITERALLY got in with like 2 minutes to spare. However, I had to TBD a few free form questions just to ensure I got my entry in. When I went back to edit/update, I was out of time. So unless there are rookies named "TBD" that come in and dominate, I'm thinking I'm getting none of those questions right.
    And yet you will still finish ahead of me.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    So unless there are rookies named "TBD" that come in and dominate, I'm thinking I'm getting none of those questions right.
    baseballreference.com better have their names listed exactly that way though.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I don't understand why every year people make the same requests about not knowing when the deadline is.

Don't they know you're supposed to enter your picks right away, promise yourself you'll go back and edit them closer to the deadline, forget to do that and wonder why your picks are so bad later on?
    Or, alternatively, get your picks in early, then obsess over every little bit of news that comes out of spring training (Tex gets injured - gotta change his numbers and the opening day batting order; Diaz gets cut - gotta change him from a YES to a NO on the opening day roster, et cetera).

JDNYY - is it possible to get a count of who changed their entry the most times? I am pretty sure I am in the top 10 of that list.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Or, alternatively, get your picks in early, then obsess over every little bit of news that comes out of spring training (Tex gets injured - gotta change his numbers and the opening day batting order; Diaz gets cut - gotta change him from a YES to a NO on the opening day roster, et cetera).

JDNYY - is it possible to get a count of who changed their entry the most times? I am pretty sure I am in the top 10 of that list.
    Listen you, you... If you call me JDNYY one more time, why, I'll... I'll... I'll get really mad.

(Lou may know the answer to that)
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Listen you, you... If you call me JDNYY one more time, why, I'll... I'll... I'll get really mad.

Nope, the system doesn't record the number of times you re-submit your entries.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I don't understand why every year people make the same requests about not knowing when the deadline is.

Don't they know you're supposed to enter your picks right away, promise yourself you'll go back and edit them closer to the deadline, forget to do that and wonder why your picks are so bad later on?
    That's what I did. I did edit my entry a few times but was busy at the deadline so I could not do a final edit. But I hope to be in the top 50!

NYYF Legend

JDPNYY: My bad - I certainly don't want you mad at me.

And, again - thanks to you (and Lou) for the contest. It is fun to see how things work out.

Just one thing. How can I be the only person to guess 3,801,203 as the season's attendance?

JDPNYY: My bad - I certainly don't want you mad at me.

And, again - thanks to you (and Lou) for the contest. It is fun to see how things work out.

Just one thing. How can I be the only person to guess 3,801,203 as the season's attendance?
    I guessed that number last year, no way was I making that mistake twice.

NYYF Legend

Spent 10 minutes incorrectly logging in a couple of weeks back. Definitely forgot what my password was because it wasn't supposed to be my NYYFans one. Should've gotten a safe deposit for it all those years ago damn it.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    Spent 10 minutes incorrectly logging in a couple of weeks back. Definitely forgot what my password was because it wasn't supposed to be my NYYFans one. Should've gotten a safe deposit for it all those years ago damn it.
    It's okay, I'll share my entry and picks with you.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck View Post
    It's okay, I'll share my entry and picks with you.
    Ah Dave, no need for that but I greatly appreciate it! Perhaps one day the password will just hit me again!

If Jeter doesn't make opening day my line-up will be be even more screwed up than it already is.

by the way, I was wondering if Diaz counted as the first dfa or does the player have to be on the roster during the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    If Jeter doesn't make opening day my line-up will be be even more screwed up than it already is.

by the way, I was wondering if Diaz counted as the first dfa or does the player have to be on the roster during the regular season?

It is the first DFA after the season begins. I actually meant to take that question out. I have grown to hate that question.

It is the first DFA after the season begins. I actually meant to take that question out. I have grown to hate that question.
    I hate that question too. Considering I put Diaz down as my answer!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I hate that question too. Considering I put Diaz down as my answer!
    I did too!

It is, quite simply, a dopey question.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    This was the first year those questions were actually hard, and now it may be even more of a mess if Jeter doesn't play opening day
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

After seeing the opening rotation set on the NYY tickets website, I checked out my rotation - got it right. CC, Kuroda & Pettitte.

What I can't understand is that the system said that no one selected Kuroda to start the second game of the season, despite the fact that the system shows that choice as my answer

Of course, stupid me, I put Cervelli down as the opening day catcher, completely forgetting that Stewart was basically CC's porter all last season -

Lou/JDPNYY - Is it possible to profile some of the answers. For example, I would love to see the distribution of how entrants have the teams records after certain points - for example, am I an optomist for thinking we will be 7-3 after ten games?

After seeing the opening rotation set on the NYY tickets website, I checked out my rotation - got it right. CC, Kuroda & Pettitte.

What I can't understand is that the system said that no one selected Kuroda to start the second game of the season, despite the fact that the system shows that choice as my answer
    Works for me:

Did you use their whole names and not "CC", "Kuroda" and "Pettitte"?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Pretty sure quite a few of us have that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Did you honk up his name, like I did?

Edit ... I'm sorry Lou. Ill drink a beer in your honor.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Works for me:

Did you use their whole names and not "CC", "Kuroda" and "Pettitte"?
    Here is how mine shows:

Who or what will be ...
    Question 2.1 The Yankees' Opening Day starting pitcher? CC Sabathia 44 (83.02%)
    Question 2.2 The second different Yankee pitcher to start a game? Hiroki Kuroda (0.00%)
    Question 2.3 The third different Yankee pitcher to start a game? Andy Pettitte 32 (60.38%)

It's the 0.00% that baffles me - on all the other questions where I was the only one to answer in a certain way, at least it shows the 1.89%, but not on this question.

Regardless of what my answer is, even if I had selected Whitey Ford to start the second game, it should register the answer.

Here is how mine shows:

Who or what will be ...
    Question 2.1 The Yankees' Opening Day starting pitcher? CC Sabathia 44 (83.02%)
    Question 2.2 The second different Yankee pitcher to start a game? Hiroki Kuroda (0.00%)
    Question 2.3 The third different Yankee pitcher to start a game? Andy Pettitte 32 (60.38%)

It's the 0.00% that baffles me - on all the other questions where I was the only one to answer in a certain way, at least it shows the 1.89%, but not on this question.

Regardless of what my answer is, even if I had selected Whitey Ford to start the second game, it should register the answer.
    The reason you were seeing this is that you entered "Hiroki Kuroda " (note the extra space at the end). I have removed the space and you should now see the same thing everyone else does.

Every year, after the entries are all in but before the season starts, I have to go through and normalize the responses ... it's a somewhat tedious process, which is why I ask everyone to do as much as they can to avoid non-standard responses, particularly with player names. For example (not trying to pick on you), I also had to fix your answer to Question 2.5 ("Phillip Hughes").

If I get time today, I will try to finish the normalization process, otherwise it will happen during the week. This will of course change the percentages you see for the number of contestants who shared your response to various questions.

For your sake Lou... it's good hardly anyone joined this year.

For your sake Lou... it's good hardly anyone joined this year.
    Ha ... of course, I'd much rather have more work in exchange for more participation. I don't know if anyone finds the "behind the scenes" stuff interesting, but just in case, here's a peek now that the responses have all been normalized.

A year or two ago, I made this exercise a bit less tedious by creating a "mapping table" between invalid responses and valid ones. By adding to this table each year, I can "teach" the system how to auto-correct some responses. Now, this isn't by any means foolproof. This year, "Johnson" maps to "Dan Johnson" but in the past it might have meant "Nick Johnson" or "Randy Johnson." This year somebody entered "Rivera" and I had to look up the question to decide if they meant Juan or Mariano.

To give you an idea, this year the following names were added to the "valid player name" list:
    Aaron Hicks
    Adam Eaton
    Adam Warren
    A.J. Griffin
    Adrian Beltre
    Austin Jackson
    Austin Romine
    Ben Francisco
    Brennan Boesch
    Casey Kelly
    Che-Hsuan Lin
    Chia-Jen Lo
    Chris Archer
    Chris Stewart
    Christian Yelich
    Cody Eppley
    Corban Joseph
    Dan Johnson
    Dan Straily
    Danny Hultzen
    Darin Ruf
    Dylan Bundy
    George Springer
    Gerrit Cole
    Hyun-Jin Ryu
    Jayson Nix
    Jedd Gyorko
    Jose Fernandez
    Jose Reyes
    Juan Rivera
    Julio Teheran
    Jurickson Profar
    Kenley Jansen
    Kevin Youkilis
    Kyle Gibson
    Kyuji Fujikawa
    Matt Diaz
    Melky Mesa
    Mike Olt
    Mike Zunino
    Nik Turley
    Nolan Arenado
    Oscar Taveras
    Jonathan Schoop
    Prince Fielder
    R. A. Dickey
    Rubby De La Rosa
    Shawn Kelley
    Shelby Miller
    Tony Cingrani
    Travis d'Arnaud
    Travis Hafner
    Trevor Bauer
    Trevor Rosenthal
    Tyler Skaggs
    Wil Myers
    Zack Wheeler
    Zoilo Almonte

Every year, the most tedious part of the job is handling the rookie questions, as it always means the introduction of a couple dozen new names I've never heard of. Since these are just tiebreaker questions, I might want to recommend we ditch these in the future. John, you seem to want to eliminate the DFA question as well ... this might be a good idea as it also introduces tons of "fringe" names.

There is also the continuing tradition of people trying to be clever about saying they don't know what to put down ... this includes entering the handles of other forumers, etc. Since I'm just about the only one who ever reads these, I guess I should be flattered that people would like to make me laugh, but I want to reiterate that the humor isn't reaching a very wide audience and it only creates work for me.

Again, just for the curious, here are the misspellings and other invalid responses that needed to be mapped and fixed this year:
    -tz
    aaron hicks
    adrian beltre
    AJ Griffin
    Andy Pettite
    Austine Romine
    Bauer
    Ben Fransico
    Bret Gardner
    Brett Gardener
    Brett Gardiner
    Bub
    Bundy
    Bundy, Balt
    C C Sabathia
    Cano
    Casey Kelley
    CC
    Cervelli
    Chamberlain
    Chris Stweart
    D'Arnaud
    David Robinson
    Deter Jeter
    Diaz
    Dickey
    dn
    do not know
    Don Johnson
    Dunno
    Four
    Francisco Cerveli
    Franciso Cervelli
    Fransisco Cervelli
    Gardner
    Granderson
    Gyorko
    Haffner
    Hafner
    Hefner
    Hideki Kuroda
    Hiro Kuroda
    Hiruki Kuroda
    Hughes
    Huroki Kuroda
    I will get this wrong
    Ichiro
    Ichiro Sukuzi
    Ichiro!
    J. Profar
    Jason Nix
    JDPNYY
    Jed Gyorko
    Jedd Gyorki
    Jerad Weaver
    Jerod Weaver
    Jeter
    Johnson
    Kelley
    Kevin Youkalis
    Kevin Youkillis
    Kevin Youklis
    Kuroda
    Logan
    Mesa
    more than 1. Excactly
    Myers
    Nova
    Nunez
    Ocscar Taveras
    Oscar Tavares
    Oscar Tevaras
    Pettite
    Pettitte
    Phelps
    Profar
    Rivera
    Robertson
    Robinso Cano
    Romine
    Sabathia
    Sheldon Miller, Cardinals
    Shoop, Baltimore
    Skaggs
    snapple
    Stewart
    Suzuki
    Tbd
    Teixeira
    Texeria
    theDurk
    Three
    Tifosa
    Tony Cirngrani
    Travis d'Arnaud, Mets
    Travis d’Arnaud
    Travis D´ Arnaud
    Travis Haffner
    Trever Bauer
    Trout
    Tyler Skaggs
    Verlander
    Warren
    Weaver
    Wil Meyers
    Will Myers
    Youk
    Youkalis
    Youkilis
    Youkillis
    yukalis
    yukolis
    Zach Wheeler
    Zach Wheller

This contest is a labor of love and I don't mean to leave the impression that I'm complaining about the work it entails. But, if I could just encourage everyone to take a moment to check their spelling when filling out their entries, it would certainly simplify the process of cleaning up the database prior to Opening Day.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to all the participants!

Thread Information