+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 223
  1. #1
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    For the 12th straight year we are pleased and proud to present the NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - the 2013 edition.

    A contest that begins in the beginning of March and ends (hopefully) in early November...


    This year's contest is ready and Lou's site has been updated.


    Here is the link to the contest:
    http://rltranstech.com/nyyfans/



    Before you begin, please be aware of the following rules:
    1. You must be a member of the NYYFans forums to participate in this contest. (Fans of any team may particpate.)
      1. If you are not already a member, please sign up.
    2. You must remain a posting member of the forums from now through the end of the 2013 baseball season.
    3. Here's how the contest works:
      1. The first section of the contest is a set of simple yes-or-no questions on whether a player will be on the opening day roster. (Note: If a player is on the disabled list to start the season, he will be counted as a YES as part of the 25 man roster.)
      2. The second section involves Yankee firsts in 2013. Choose the player you feel will attain each first.
      3. In the third section, you'll see a Yankee player and a target amount for a particular stat. Simply pick whether the actual value for that stat will be over or under that target.
        • If the target stat is reached exactly, the choice of Over will win.
        • Note: The stats for each player are only stats compiled as a Yankee, so if you feel that a player will not remain a Yankee all year, keep that in mind when predicting.
      4. In the next three sections there will be a few questions about the Yankees in general. Answer those questions in the space provided.
      5. At the end are several tiebreaker questions that should be filled out and will only be used if there is a tie for first place. If players are still tied after the tiebreaker questions, the winner will be determined based on whose responses are as closest to the correct answers.
      6. Many of the questions ask you to enter the name of a player. To make the lives of the contest moderators much, much easier, please avoid nicknames and misspellings, typing the first and last name of the player exactly as it would appear on baseball-reference.com (except please leave out accents on vowels). Here are the correct spellings of a few commonly entered, commonly misspelled players:
        • Alex Rodriguez (not ARod, A-Rod, etc.)
        • Mark Teixeira (not Tex or any of the many mangled variations)
        • CC Sabathia (not CC, Sabbathia, etc.)
    4. The deadline for entry is midnight Eastern time on the night of Saturday, March 16, 2013.
    5. Please feel free to direct any questions about the contest itself to JDPNYY on NYYFans.com.
    6. Technical questions about this web site can be directed to sweet_lou_14 on NYYFans.com.

    You must use your exact NYYFans.com User Name and if you have signed up for any past Contests you must use the same password.

    Write down your password.
    Please write down your password.
    I implore you to write down your password.
    After you write down your password, put it in a safe place, perhaps in a safety deposit box or something.
    If you are signing up for the first time, please pick a password other than your NYYFans.com password.

    Don't let that confuse you... You MUST use your exact User Name for the contest... (just choose a different password... then write down the password and put it in a safe place).
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  2. #2
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Good Luck everyone.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    ZYanksRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Port Chester, NY

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Working on it now, but the playoff possibilities might not be right -- there's no option for losing in the wild-card game, for example.

    Love the contest, thanks for doing it.


  4. #4

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Working on it now, but the playoff possibilities might not be right -- there's no option for losing in the wild-card game, for example.

    Love the contest, thanks for doing it.
    Thanks, I've fixed that.

    Strangely, nobody said anything about this last year. I guess nobody was looking for the "Lose Wild-Card Game" option for the 2012 Yankees.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  5. #5
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Part 1 asks which players will be on the 2012 opening day roster. I will assume you mean the 2013 opening day roster because if its 2012 I know I can get them all correctly

  6. #6
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Part 1 asks which players will be on the 2012 opening day roster. I will assume you mean the 2013 opening day roster because if its 2012 I know I can get them all correctly
    Yes, it should be 2013. We were down to the wire, had we decided to change that when we saw it, it would have meant no contest due to time constraints. Sometimes you need to make tough decisions.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    JDNYY & Lou -

    As always, thanks very much for the effort that goes into this contest. It is fun every year to give it your best guess.

    My only problem is that I have to answer two of your gimme questions with a lie in order to get the point - I don't hate the Red Sox and I actually enjoyed going to Fenway for a game (although it has been > 20 years since I went).

    Don't everyone bust on me for this approach - first and foremost, I am a baseball fan. I love the game and, more importantly, I love players who play the game with a passion. When I became a Yankee fan in the early '60s (growing up in Vermont as the only NYY fan in a family of BRS fans), the Yankees were good. After '64, well you know the story - at the same time, the Red Sox were on the ascent and we watched a lot of RS games on WSBK-38. With players like Yaz, Conigliaro, & Petrocelli, I watched a team with passion.

    In the '80s, we lived in eastern CT. My oldest brother (he who corrupted my daughter [his goddaughter] into being a Red Sox fan) lived outside of Boston and we would frequently go to Fenway for games, many of which were Yankee - Red Sox games. In those days, you could buy tickets for Fenway on the day of the game and, frankly, I was never mistreated by a Red Sox fan despite wearing my NYY cap proudly.

    This year - well, the daughter and I will be in Section 308, Row 1 on opening day. If you see a pretty young lady wearing a Red Sox hat in that section on that day, treat her with respect. In fact, treat all fans of the other team with respect. Regardless of our fanaticism for our team, this game is ultimately just that - a game. There is no need to get abusive (and I live around Philly, so I know abuse having attended PHL-NYY games).

    Good luck to everyone.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend

    ZYanksRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Port Chester, NY

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Thanks, I've fixed that.

    Strangely, nobody said anything about this last year. I guess nobody was looking for the "Lose Wild-Card Game" option for the 2012 Yankees.
    Haha, was it even decided before spring training last year? I feel like that was a very late add to the docket last year.


  9. #9

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    @longtimeyankeefan: I'm a New Englander (CT) with a lot of Red Sox fan family too, so I can sympathize. I love Fenway. And I don't hate the Sox at all, though I definitely did when I was growing up!

  10. #10
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    I'm about to be sick.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm about to be sick.
    JDNNY -

    Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

    Doc LTYF
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  12. #12

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Yes, it should be 2013. We were down to the wire, had we decided to change that when we saw it, it would have meant no contest due to time constraints. Sometimes you need to make tough decisions.
    Fortunately, the power of the internets allows me to fix this. Which I just did. From an airport.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  13. #13
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Fortunately, the power of the internets allows me to fix this. Which I just did. From an airport.

    Lou, you are a magic Man.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  14. #14
    NYYF Triple Crown

    TinoFan84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Evil Empire

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Thank you gentlemen, I will be sure to NOT miss the deadline this year, I am thrilled that the tradition lives on ...



    This chick digs the long ball

  15. #15
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by TinoFan84 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, I will be sure to NOT miss the deadline this year, I am thrilled that the tradition lives on ...
    I had decided to walk away, however, in accessing the contest and realizing that it is the best contest anywhere, I reconsidered. It took a lot of soul searching, hemming and hawing.

    When I came to the conclusion that contests half as good as this one (if that is even possible) normally cost thousands of dollars to participate and that we do not charge any entry fee, I just couldn't bring myself to let it die.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  16. #16
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    JDNYY & Lou -

    As always, thanks very much for the effort that goes into this contest. It is fun every year to give it your best guess.

    My only problem is that I have to answer two of your gimme questions with a lie in order to get the point - I don't hate the Red Sox and I actually enjoyed going to Fenway for a game (although it has been > 20 years since I went).

    Don't everyone bust on me for this approach - first and foremost, I am a baseball fan. I love the game and, more importantly, I love players who play the game with a passion. When I became a Yankee fan in the early '60s (growing up in Vermont as the only NYY fan in a family of BRS fans), the Yankees were good. After '64, well you know the story - at the same time, the Red Sox were on the ascent and we watched a lot of RS games on WSBK-38. With players like Yaz, Conigliaro, & Petrocelli, I watched a team with passion.

    In the '80s, we lived in eastern CT. My oldest brother (he who corrupted my daughter [his goddaughter] into being a Red Sox fan) lived outside of Boston and we would frequently go to Fenway for games, many of which were Yankee - Red Sox games. In those days, you could buy tickets for Fenway on the day of the game and, frankly, I was never mistreated by a Red Sox fan despite wearing my NYY cap proudly.

    This year - well, the daughter and I will be in Section 308, Row 1 on opening day. If you see a pretty young lady wearing a Red Sox hat in that section on that day, treat her with respect. In fact, treat all fans of the other team with respect. Regardless of our fanaticism for our team, this game is ultimately just that - a game. There is no need to get abusive (and I live around Philly, so I know abuse having attended PHL-NYY games).

    Good luck to everyone.
    You must therefore pay the penalty!

    Hey - if you're that objective even if it costs you two questions you're probably less "Yankee-biased" on individual and team performance, so you have room to make it up and then some compared to most of us.

    Good luck!

  17. #17

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    When you ask for Teixeira's total ABs does that include, or not include, BBs?

    And because I'm getting forgetful - if there's tie in a question (say like wins by a pitcher for the year) that counts as an over, correct?

  18. #18
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    When you ask for Teixeira's total ABs does that include, or not include, BBs?

    And because I'm getting forgetful - if there's tie in a question (say like wins by a pitcher for the year) that counts as an over, correct?

    ABs don't include BBs.

    Tie goes to the over.

    Have fun.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I had decided to walk away, however, in accessing the contest and realizing that it is the best contest anywhere, I reconsidered. It took a lot of soul searching, hemming and hawing.

    When I came to the conclusion that contests half as good as this one (if that is even possible) normally cost thousands of dollars to participate and that we do not charge any entry fee, I just couldn't bring myself to let it die.

    For witch we all thank you very much

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I had decided to walk away, however, in accessing the contest and realizing that it is the best contest anywhere, I reconsidered. It took a lot of soul searching, hemming and hawing.

    When I came to the conclusion that contests half as good as this one (if that is even possible) normally cost thousands of dollars to participate and that we do not charge any entry fee, I just couldn't bring myself to let it die.
    And we love that you're so humble about it too!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  21. #21
    NYYF Triple Crown

    ruthianblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Francisco

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    I love this contest. Despite the fact I always end up close to the worst score.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

    RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

  22. #22

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Style points for question 3.27
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

  23. #23

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    I love this contest. Despite the fact I always end up close to the worst score.
    Yep, I'm generally in the basement as well.

  24. #24
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Style points for question 3.27
    If one of them gets traded within the AL it's almost a certainty
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  25. #25
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: The 12th Annual NYYFans.com Prediction Contest - 2013 Edition

    How many people have entered this cool contest so far?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts