+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: SF Giants have 0 black players

I dunno. Without getting too politically incorrect, you don't have to look much further than the NBA and NFL draft combines to see that some of the most physically gifted athletes we have to offer are African American.

I do think it's kind of a shame that we're not able to see what some of these guys would be capable of if they chose baseball instead of basketball or football. Maybe I'm the only one.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    I dunno. Without getting too politically incorrect, you don't have to look much further than the NBA and NFL draft combines to see that some of the most physically gifted athletes we have to offer are African American.

I do think it's kind of a shame that we're not able to see what some of these guys would be capable of if they chose baseball instead of basketball or football. Maybe I'm the only one.
    Ignoring the first part, yeah, most of my personal concern is about the whole talent pool angle. Watch the NFL Draft combine and such and imagine if some of these studs were playing baseball.

And of course, not to get political, but there's the whole socioeconomic aspect of this as well. As others have pointed out, a large contributor to the decline of African Americans in MLB is the fact that many of these individuals lack the basic financial resources to become skilled baseball players. The impoverished state of African Americans is a problem far bigger than baseball itself and definitely something to be concerned about.

Addicted Member

Long post...

I actually don't think it's a cost issue at all and I grew up black in the inner city so I know what I'm talking about! Bats and balls aren't expensive and you have to buy cleats and gloves for football too. It's more in part that you need more items and people to play a real pick up game: No one plays stick ball anymore. It's the opportunity to play AND what are their friends playing. There is a basketball court on every other street corner and you can always get a pick up 21 game going in 2 minutes (you can get a full court 5 on 5 going in no time). You can go into any park or use a parking lot or the middle of the street will do and throw a football around with a few friends (3 on 3/4 on 4). When I was a kid we never played baseball, there wasn't enough interest. We went down the street and played basketball every Saturday morning after cartoons. At the family bbq we threw the football around and got a touch game going (if everyone wasn't playing spades or chess).

People talk about the decline in blacks PLAYING baseball, but has their been any numbers on whether there has been a decline in blacks INTEREST in baseball overall as FANS? I'd say that correlates greatly to what kids are introduced to at young ages. If you have some athletic talent someone is putting a basketball or football in your hands and putting you in peewee/youth league football and basketball. There is no encouragement to play baseball or continue it instead of playing another sport.

At the high school level it's basketball and football, 1 and 2, Track and Field 3rd (on the decline versus years past) and then baseball is 4th. The Hispanic kids were far more serious about baseball (a cultural thing). The interest is in decline within the black community compared to other sports (I only speak from experience). But isn't that true across the board for baseball in America? I don't know what the solution to this is.

I actually do think this is an interesting item that doesn't hurt to have some discussion around (SF Giants having no black players is just an interesting footnote). I recall the great discussions I had with some people about track and field during the Olympics concerning Usain Bolt and those damn Jamaicans. We talked about how our great track athletes are on the football field (or just weren't cultivated at the high school level), the talent we are putting up there every 4 years is not our best because other sports are taking these kids. In Jamaica Track is numero uno so they aren't missing out on any phenom that is getting stolen by something else. If Usain Bolt was African American most likely he would be in the NFL today and we would have never seen him run the 100M in the Olympics (20 or so years ago he would have had a much higher chance of still being a track star). It's not that Jamaica is necessarily way better than us, it's that they aren't competing against our best.

I love baseball and I want to see the best athletes that we have to offer play baseball to keep the sport growing in popularity in the U.S.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

An exceptional 18+ year old athlete can be made into a football player. A 6'7" 18 year old can be made into a basketball player. The same would be extremely rare in baseball with the only possible exception being a kid with an incredible arm.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Why is this a problem? It is just the way it is. Professional sports is probably the most obvious example of a meritocracy that there is. If you can play, you'll play no matter what color/race/ethnicity you may be.
    This is the exact point..

The Giants don't have any black players because that is just the way they put together their team based on the talent available. There was no discrimination here. If they had an opportunity to draft the next Barry Bonds (PED aside) they would..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    Long post...

I actually don't think it's a cost issue at all and I grew up black in the inner city so I know what I'm talking about! Bats and balls aren't expensive and you have to buy cleats and gloves for football too. It's more in part that you need more items and people to play a real pick up game: No one plays stick ball anymore. It's the opportunity to play AND what are their friends playing. There is a basketball court on every other street corner and you can always get a pick up 21 game going in 2 minutes (you can get a full court 5 on 5 going in no time). You can go into any park or use a parking lot or the middle of the street will do and throw a football around with a few friends (3 on 3/4 on 4). When I was a kid we never played baseball, there wasn't enough interest. We went down the street and played basketball every Saturday morning after cartoons. At the family bbq we threw the football around and got a touch game going (if everyone wasn't playing spades or chess).

People talk about the decline in blacks PLAYING baseball, but has their been any numbers on whether there has been a decline in blacks INTEREST in baseball overall as FANS? I'd say that correlates greatly to what kids are introduced to at young ages. If you have some athletic talent someone is putting a basketball or football in your hands and putting you in peewee/youth league football and basketball. There is no encouragement to play baseball or continue it instead of playing another sport.

At the high school level it's basketball and football, 1 and 2, Track and Field 3rd (on the decline versus years past) and then baseball is 4th. The Hispanic kids were far more serious about baseball (a cultural thing). The interest is in decline within the black community compared to other sports (I only speak from experience). But isn't that true across the board for baseball in America? I don't know what the solution to this is.

I actually do think this is an interesting item that doesn't hurt to have some discussion around (SF Giants having no black players is just an interesting footnote). I recall the great discussions I had with some people about track and field during the Olympics concerning Usain Bolt and those damn Jamaicans. We talked about how our great track athletes are on the football field (or just weren't cultivated at the high school level), the talent we are putting up there every 4 years is not our best because other sports are taking these kids. In Jamaica Track is numero uno so they aren't missing out on any phenom that is getting stolen by something else. If Usain Bolt was African American most likely he would be in the NFL today and we would have never seen him run the 100M in the Olympics (20 or so years ago he would have had a much higher chance of still being a track star). It's not that Jamaica is necessarily way better than us, it's that they aren't competing against our best.

I love baseball and I want to see the best athletes that we have to offer play baseball to keep the sport growing in popularity in the U.S.
    Great post. You mentioned the socioeconomic aspect and I'd like to add another factor. You can go straight from high school or college to the NFL or NBA and have a successful career if you've got the talent, right attitude and work ethic. You can be the most gifted college or baseball player in the nation, but you've got to start out in the minors (Bryce Harper, for instance). A lot of black players come from families who're struggling to make ends meet, especially with a kid in college. If you're in a single parent home and you've got the chance to help your family in a very big way fast, signing a multi-million dollar contract vs. going to single A ball is a no brainer. We see very talented athletes who could have a career in any sport, but most of them to not pick baseball because, IMO, it doesn't "pay" immediately.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    This is the exact point..

The Giants don't have any black players because that is just the way they put together their team based on the talent available. There was no discrimination here. If they had an opportunity to draft the next Barry Bonds (PED aside) they would..
    I don't think anyone is making any claim of discrimination. The question on the table is why is there such a lack of interest in the sport among African Americans.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Ignoring the first part, yeah, most of my personal concern is about the whole talent pool angle. Watch the NFL Draft combine and such and imagine if some of these studs were playing baseball.

And of course, not to get political, but there's the whole socioeconomic aspect of this as well. As others have pointed out, a large contributor to the decline of African Americans in MLB is the fact that many of these individuals lack the basic financial resources to become skilled baseball players. The impoverished state of African Americans is a problem far bigger than baseball itself and definitely something to be concerned about.
    I think football is more expensive than baseball. Pads cost way more than a glove and teams can basically share 2-3 aluminum bats.

Aside from Derek Jeter the Yankees haven't had very many African-American players since 1996 either.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I think football is more expensive than baseball. Pads cost way more than a glove and teams can basically share 2-3 aluminum bats.
    The biggest expanse in baseball is the minimum requirement of 4 bases to have a semblance of a real game. That's more space than some city parks in NYC. That's just comparing the games themselves.

Football is IMMENSELY popular, so popular most of the cost is subsidized by schools (pads, fields, travel, and opponents) that probably should spend the money elsewhere. That's why I think when football starts its decline, it will crash in a hurry once the costs become difficult to justify.

I think American football will become No. 2 or No. 3 behind basketball and possibly soccer in 30 years or so. The game is just too dangerous. Unless you turn it into tag football and/or defy the laws of physics (all the helmets in the world cannot stop the whiplash, caused by the changes in momentum), football is just too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Aside from Derek Jeter the Yankees haven't had very many African-American players since 1996 either.
    And Derek Jeter "ain't all the way black."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

"Steroids is something you stick in your butt - period" what the hell hahaha
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Playing a game of football may be more expensive than playing a game of baseball, but like others have said there are more scholarships in basketball and football than there are in baseball. This makes a huge difference to an intercity youth who may not have any other avenue for getting into college.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Some of it is cost, bats, gloves, baseballs, cleats, baseball pants, etc. it starts to add up quickly. Then you need a large opens space with a diamond and a fair amount of opponents to play against. Compare that to bastekball where you don't need a large space, the only equipment you really need is a ball and local park with a hoop. And you can see why inner city youth gravitate more to basketball than baseball.

A lot of inncer city kids simply don't have the opportunity to play baseball.
    Not a lot of 'travel teams' coming from poorer neighborhoods, economics and required involvement of parents to get the kids there in a single parent situation is more difficult.

We know that the number of black Major League baseball players is on the decline. And if we look at Little League participation numbers, we see those are also on the decline. Chicken-Egg-Chicken-Something else?

What we see is that blacks in baseball peaked in 1995 at 19.0 percent. On the other hand, little league participation did not peak until 1997. And really, there wasn't a strong decline until 2000 or 2001.

It is impossible to make any grand conclusions using just this data. But the similarity in the trends is eyebrow-raising. And if there is indeed a causation here and not just a correlation — a BIG if — it actually looks like the decline in black baseball players may have something to do with the decline in the number of kids playing little league baseball.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ayers-espn-com

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Great post. You mentioned the socioeconomic aspect and I'd like to add another factor. You can go straight from high school or college to the NFL or NBA and have a successful career if you've got the talent, right attitude and work ethic. You can be the most gifted college or baseball player in the nation, but you've got to start out in the minors (Bryce Harper, for instance). A lot of black players come from families who're struggling to make ends meet, especially with a kid in college. If you're in a single parent home and you've got the chance to help your family in a very big way fast, signing a multi-million dollar contract vs. going to single A ball is a no brainer. We see very talented athletes who could have a career in any sport, but most of them to not pick baseball because, IMO, it doesn't "pay" immediately.
    I would agree that this is a factor as well. There is a very clear path for basketball from high school to college (one and done if you are so inclined) to NBA and big money. Football is very clear as well. Baseball has that element of anything can happen even after being drafted, you may never make it to the big show, not as much of a guarantee even if you are drafted straight out of high school. The money will come later than the other sports if at all.

And like others have stated football is a more expensive sport to play and high schools do put a ton of their athletic money into the football programs. Even in city schools kids have to buy their own cleats and gloves sometimes (my nephew had to do this). Pads and Jerseys are provided but it takes a lot to keep up a football program. I don't know if interest in the sport will decline so much that these programs become unsustainable but it is a possibility. It's hard for me to see soccer shooting up in popularity today to eclipse football but anything can happen. None of this bodes well for baseball however because that is just another sport for these kids to choose to play.

So factors for blacks becoming extinct in baseball:
    1. Declining interest in the community for the sport
    2. Lack of opportunity to play (not a cost issue, it's more a city issue/dynamics of the game)
    3. Popularity and rise of other sports
    4. Money motivation of other sports is more immediate (full rides for college, big contract for pros, easier route to the pros)
    I don't know if this is really an issue per say (no one cares about the lack of blacks in hockey though I'm sure they would kill at that sport too lol) but I think it's something to think about when considering the long term growth of the sport. We are now seeing the results of the decline of the sport in America and the growth of the sport in places like Dominican Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico and Japan.
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Overheard in the Boston FO: "See Ben, it CAN be done".....

Which reminded me of this:

Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

passed street called Blackfan on way to fenway. and havent seen one since.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    No, but this is:

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post

Which reminded me of this:

Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

passed street called Blackfan on way to fenway. and havent seen one since.
    Let's be fair, though: I see about as many African Americans at the Metropolitan Opera as I do at Yankee Stadium.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Let's be fair, though: I see about as many African Americans at the Metropolitan Opera as I do at Yankee Stadium.
    You know, now that you mention it, it's true. For the most part, the fan base at Yankee Stadium seems to be made up of White/Hispanic/Asian (in that order) and only a smattering of Black fans.

I wonder if it's because of an overall lack of interest for the sport, pricing and other factors. Or, unlike White NBA fans, little interest in what's on the field because of the dwindling participation of their own race. Or, perhaps, a combo of the above....or none of the above.

Addicted Member

Well I'm only one black person but I'll take the opportunity to speak for them all lol. I don't think it has anything to do with the players on the field not representing them...though maybe that could be a small piece. I don't really notice when I go to Yankee Stadium that there aren't many black people in the stands or on the field unless pointed out to me but I think that's because I'm used to being outnumbered lol and have a broad diverse group of friends.

But there is a lack of black people in the crowd no doubt and like I said before, the lack of black fans could be a major reason you have a lack of black players (it's the trickle down effect over time). Why that lack of interest has developed I don't know and I would only be guessing but my major thought is the rise of other sports (football being enemy number 1). When I think about other black people I can talk remotely passionately about the sport of baseball with they are all older guys like 60 and up. I don't know many (or any) younger black folks 18-30 year old range that would list baseball as a favorite sport of theirs (they might follow it casually as sports fans in general though, don't be fooled by all the Yankee caps, it's mostly a fashion thing). These type of people are much less likely to go to games and older folks might go to games but they could just as well watch it on tv. Cost could be an issue but we have all seen that a ticket to a Yankee game is not expensive in this day and age (cost to get to the stadium and food while there not withstanding).

I'm new to Washington DC but there are a lot of NJ/NY people down here and I recently met a nice older black guy from Staten Island who is a Yankee fan. He has lived in Maryland for quite a while now and goes to Baltimore/Yankee games a ton. Don't know his exact age but he talks about going to Shea in the 60s, I think I'll pick his brain about this topic and see what he thinks.

There are a lot of factors, I think, but here is one.

Baseball markets itself, constantly, on history. The history of the game, handed down from generation to generation is what we hear about all the time.

So if you're an African American kid and you're sitting there hearing about the great history of baseball and you know that it's only really been about three generations in which African Americans would even be allowed into the Major Leagues...what is your reaction to this? ON some deep level, don't you feel like this great history was something your grandfather or great grandfather wasn't welcomed to participate in?

You hear about the GREATEST players ever...the Babe Ruths, the Lou Gherigs, the DiMaggios, the Williams...and you realize they only played against white people.

How could that have been baseball's golden age, you might wonder?

Meanwhile, the NBA's equivalent to Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, is right there for you in recent history. With a couple of exceptions, the NBA is defined by great African American players.

While baseball definitely goes out of its way to honor Jackie Robinson, at times it seems a little self congratulatory in the face of horrible racism from years past.

It's sad because when i first started watching baseball, there were so many great African Americans. Parker, Winfield, Reggie, Henderson. Yankees of the 70's had Rivers, White, Chambliss, Randolph...they were direct descendents of Jackie Robinson and had come of age when African Americans by and large accepted the Negro Leagues and then had a chance to play in the Major Leagues...so it was all upside.

But through the lens of history, Afican Americans have gotten a screw job by MLB and generational memories run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    I would agree that this is a factor as well. There is a very clear path for basketball from high school to college (one and done if you are so inclined) to NBA and big money. Football is very clear as well. Baseball has that element of anything can happen even after being drafted, you may never make it to the big show, not as much of a guarantee even if you are drafted straight out of high school. The money will come later than the other sports if at all.
    Just to add to the financial incentive aspect. If you can't make it in MLB, the number of alternative markets are limited. Japan is pretty much it and they got limits on the number of foreign players they could carry. This is true with football too. (another reason why I think when football begins to decline, it will do so in a hurry.)

Soccer and basketball have done a much better job internationalizing the sports and you can make millions for anyone of over a hundred teams at this point. Even in golf and tennis, once you become pro (basically win a qualifier tourney anywhere, or, pass some tests) you are guaranteed a pretty comfortable level of income, even if you end up retired to go into coaching.

Hell, you don't even have to be that good. Someone that can consistently score in the low 70s can get certified as a PGA pro to teach for a pretty decent chunk of change.

That's a lower bar, IMO, than even making it to AAA.

Baseball is slowly dying as a sport. We're already at the point more kids play soccer than baseball at the youth level. Other than Japan, Cuba, and DR, baseball's got nothing on soccer or basketball.

MLB has been very successful in recent years sucking up all the talents and money in the shrinking baseball world to fuel an unprecedented period of revenue/profits/payroll growth. But in the long run, the growth is unsustainable unless the sport itself grows.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Just to add to the financial incentive aspect. If you can't make it in MLB, the number of alternative markets are limited. Japan is pretty much it and they got limits on the number of foreign players they could carry. This is true with football too. (another reason why I think when football begins to decline, it will do so in a hurry.)

Soccer and basketball have done a much better job internationalizing the sports and you can make millions for anyone of over a hundred teams at this point. Even in golf and tennis, once you become pro (basically win a qualifier tourney anywhere, or, pass some tests) you are guaranteed a pretty comfortable level of income, even if you end up retired to go into coaching.

Hell, you don't even have to be that good. Someone that can consistently score in the low 70s can get certified as a PGA pro to teach for a pretty decent chunk of change.

That's a lower bar, IMO, than even making it to AAA.

Baseball is slowly dying as a sport. We're already at the point more kids play soccer than baseball at the youth level. Other than Japan, Cuba, and DR, baseball's got nothing on soccer or basketball.

MLB has been very successful in recent years sucking up all the talents and money in the shrinking baseball world to fuel an unprecedented period of revenue/profits/payroll growth. But in the long run, the growth is unsustainable unless the sport itself grows.
    this I really don't agree with. I was really amazed to read recently that the WBC championship game in 2009, between Japan and Korea, was watched by nearly 90 million people. A 7th game of the World Series would get less than a third of that number.

By some measures, baseball is the fastest growing sport in the world. Now, that's a misleading statement because in major parts of the world it barely has existed so growth is easy...but still it's growing in China and if it ever takes off there would be incredibly large. It's growing in some parts of Europe as well.

It is stagnant in the US, but to say it's dying I think is a stretch.

i do think baseball has a fundamental problem as people get bigger and faster. The beauty and interest in the game was always found on the balance of skill and athleticsm. As athletes get bigger and faster...whether naturally or not...the fine balance of the game is thrown out of whack.

Look at Cano turn double plays. He doesn't have to learn his craft or become skilled the way a Willie Randolph did. And yet Cano is the more effective player due to sheer strength and size. But it's almost like playing in a co-ed softball game at work. It's fun...but not that interesting long term as any halfway decent former baseball player is too good for the basics of the game.

That to me is a problem that I don't think can be fixed. But as far as the business and overall popularity of baseball, I think on a global scale, including the US, it's growing and will be fine for years to come.

I just think in the US it's consumed and thought about differently than before...and also that kids don't have the patience to play it on the lower levels as much as the games can be interminable (I coach a five year old in tee-ball...wow....) and there is so much more compeition for their time than 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    this I really don't agree with. I was really amazed to read recently that the WBC championship game in 2009, between Japan and Korea, was watched by nearly 90 million people. A 7th game of the World Series would get less than a third of that number.

By some measures, baseball is the fastest growing sport in the world. Now, that's a misleading statement because in major parts of the world it barely has existed so growth is easy...but still it's growing in China and if it ever takes off there would be incredibly large. It's growing in some parts of Europe as well.

It is stagnant in the US, but to say it's dying I think is a stretch.

i do think baseball has a fundamental problem as people get bigger and faster. The beauty and interest in the game was always found on the balance of skill and athleticsm. As athletes get bigger and faster...whether naturally or not...the fine balance of the game is thrown out of whack.

Look at Cano turn double plays. He doesn't have to learn his craft or become skilled the way a Willie Randolph did. And yet Cano is the more effective player due to sheer strength and size. But it's almost like playing in a co-ed softball game at work. It's fun...but not that interesting long term as any halfway decent former baseball player is too good for the basics of the game.

That to me is a problem that I don't think can be fixed. But as far as the business and overall popularity of baseball, I think on a global scale, including the US, it's growing and will be fine for years to come.

I just think in the US it's consumed and thought about differently than before...and also that kids don't have the patience to play it on the lower levels as much as the games can be interminable (I coach a five year old in tee-ball...wow....) and there is so much more compeition for their time than 30 years ago.
    But he has learned his craft, and he is highly skilled. He turns the DP extremely quickly, and has a strong and accurate arm (which is a skill as well as a gift).
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    While baseball definitely goes out of its way to honor Jackie Robinson, at times it seems a little self congratulatory in the face of horrible racism from years past.
    You know I always thought the way they went about this was odd. I mean I realize the impact he had on baseball and rightly so they should be honoring him. But you're correct it seems a bit self congratulatory. There's a limit, not because he doesn't deserve praise, but because there's such a thing as overcompensation. It's screaming "look at us, we're so not racist!".
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thread Information