+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 155
  1. #1

    2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    So, I'm not including PED talk in this post. However, I'm pretty sure he'll make the big league roster (no options left). Anyway, Mike Axisa posted these sliders from Mark Montgomery, and while they are all sorts of sexy, check out Cervelli's framing. Especially the last 2 gifs.

    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/hot...omery-2-82948/
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  2. #2

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Cervelli looks real good this spring, if I don't say so myself. Just ripped a double off of Halladay
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  3. #3
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Cervelli looks real good this spring
    Agreed!

  4. #4
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    I've always loved Frankie's energy. Stewart is better defensively, however. I say play them both equally -- 81 games each, rather than having a 1 and a 2.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  5. #5
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I've always loved Frankie's energy. Stewart is better defensively, however. I say play them both equally -- 81 games each, rather than having a 1 and a 2.
    I'd say go for whoever's hottest.


    And I'm talking about playing ability, of course, not looks.

  6. #6

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Yea he has played well and hopefully he can carry it into the season.

  7. #7
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    It does seem, however, that the pitchers prefer throwing to Stewart. That will count for a lot.
    Anyway, I am less worried about catcher than I am about many other issues with the team.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  8. #8

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It does seem, however, that the pitchers prefer throwing to Stewart. That will count for a lot.
    Anyway, I am less worried about catcher than I am about many other issues with the team.
    How so? They have never been on the team at the same time. Once upon a time Cervelli was CC's personal catcher, and he looks pretty quieted down and awesome behind the plate right now.

  9. #9
    NYYF MVP

    The Comic Book Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    If Cervelli being able to throw runners out again is legit and not just a Spring Training narrative, he's got some value. We know he can get on base at an acceptable rate for a catcher, if he can get back to being an above average defensive player I feel pretty good about the catcher position.

    Let's also hope he can get through the year without sustaining a concussion.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    steveo_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Had a good day again guiding Phelps to a 3-0 shutout against the Jays. Little quieter on the hitting front although he did manage to draw a walk, so he at least got on base. If he delivers the same performance during the regular season there shouldn't be a problem.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.
    On the drive for 28!

  11. #11

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Cervelli looks like the favorite to win the catching job. Don't let me down!
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Frankie hit a home run yesterday!

    “Wait another 300 at-bats maybe to hit another one,” he joked.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/03/15/notes/

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    I hope he becomes the starter. I think he will thrive as a starter both offensively and defensively!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    steveo_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    I'm not sure we're going to have a starting catcher and a backup. I think whoever starts on a given day is going to come down to pitcher preference.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.
    On the drive for 28!

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    I'm not sure we're going to have a starting catcher and a backup. I think whoever starts on a given day is going to come down to pitcher preference.
    Or manager preference.

    "Cervy has good numbers against Pitcher X, batting .333 against him, so I thought we'd go with him." (Cervelli has one hit in three at bats against the pitcher in question.)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    steveo_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Looked good today against Tampa, especially throwing to catch out a strong base running side. Defensive game has improved a lot.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.
    On the drive for 28!

  17. #17
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I hope he becomes the starter. I think he will thrive as a starter both offensively and defensively!
    May I ask what gives you the indication that Cervelli would be good at any aspect of the game of baseball?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  18. #18
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    Looked good today against Tampa, especially throwing to catch out a strong base running side. Defensive game has improved a lot.
    Wait - wut?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  19. #19
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Or manager preference.

    "Cervy has good numbers against Pitcher X, batting .333 against him, so I thought we'd go with him." (Cervelli has one hit in three at bats against the pitcher in question.)
    The looseleaf binder will get Manager of the Year award.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

  20. #20
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    May I ask what gives you the indication that Cervelli would be good at any aspect of the game of baseball?
    I guess I like his enthusiasm and think that this could be the year that he excels defensively and gets his share of clutch hits.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I guess I like his enthusiasm and think that this could be the year that he excels defensively and gets his share of clutch hits.
    He's got the fist pump down. But unless something dramatically has improved he's shown he's pretty bad both defenisvely and offensively the past few season at both the major and minor league level.

    Cervelli seems like a nice guy, I wish him well. But frankly I'm hoping Romine takes a giant step forward at AAA at takes the starting big league job by the ASB and runs with it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  22. #22

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    I really hope he's properly healed from his concussions.

  23. #23
    Member
    MunsonMattingly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In a van down by the river

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Cervelli's ace in the hole is a good number of guys on the pitching staff enjoying throwing to him. He's a got a great attitude and is intenese, not a clown like Swisher.

  24. #24

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    I just like the at bats he takes with risp. He doesn't hit for much power, he doesn't walk much, and in the aggregate he's not a very good all around hitter because of that. But he consistently has good at bats with risp, and if he can play D like he's been playing this spring I can live with him as a short term C option. .270ish hitter, acceptable D, and good at bats is not the worst catcher in the world. Heck, it's an improvement over Martin.

  25. #25
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2013 Francisco Cervelli Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He's got the fist pump down. But unless something dramatically has improved he's shown he's pretty bad both defenisvely and offensively the past few season at both the major and minor league level.

    Cervelli seems like a nice guy, I wish him well. But frankly I'm hoping Romine takes a giant step forward at AAA at takes the starting big league job by the ASB and runs with it.
    This. Times a million.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts