View Poll Results: Do you think collisions at home plate should be banned?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - it's an unnecessary risk to player safety

    27 47.37%
  • No - it's part of the game

    26 45.61%
  • Undecided

    4 7.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 111
  1. #51
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Actually, if you are a catcher and want to avoid collisions.....just don't block the plate. There does not need to be a rule change, leave it up to the players.

    Collisions at home plate are dictated by the catcher.
    you can't ignore the pressures to take one for the team. If a catcher or runner don't do what is expected we as fans get on them for not having enough passion or toughness. Taking it out of their hands completely gets rid of that.

    I don't believe it's so black and white.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  2. #52
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Actually, if you are a catcher and want to avoid collisions.....just don't block the plate. There does not need to be a rule change, leave it up to the players.

    Collisions at home plate are dictated by the catcher.
    Cousins had a lane to the plate where he did not need to blow up Posey. Your argument is dumb.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #53
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Cousins had a lane to the plate where he did not need to blow up Posey. Your argument is dumb.
    Correct, Posey was not blocking the plate. That said, 99% of collisions at the plate are caused by catchers blocking. In that case? Call the runner out for running out of the baseline to deliberately collide with catcher. For every Posey type play, I can cite 100 where the catcher has caught the ball, and is blocking the plate.

    Look at JoPo. He had a few big collisons, no doubt. That said, he could have had hundreds more in his career, but he was not a plate blocker. That's okay, he got the job done. Rather have him sweep tagging and IN the lineup than plate blocking and out. JoPo, the vast majority of the time, refused to block the plate.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  4. #54

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    The fact that collisions at home plate are allowed is something that didn't make much sense to me when I first started watching the game and still doesn't make much sense 15 years later. Baserunners are not allowed to barrel into other fielders to try to get them to drop the ball -- that would be runner interference. So why should it be different in the case of the catcher?

    Just have the rules be the same as everywhere else on the basepaths: if the catcher is in the way of the baserunner without the ball, then it's fielder interference and the baserunner is safe, and if the baserunner runs into the catcher, then it's runner interference and he is out. Unnecessary roughness on the part of either player results in an ejection.

  5. #55
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    The fact that collisions at home plate are allowed is something that didn't make much sense to me when I first started watching the game and still doesn't make much sense 15 years later. Baserunners are not allowed to barrel into other fielders to try to get them to drop the ball -- that would be runner interference. So why should it be different in the case of the catcher?

    Just have the rules be the same as everywhere else on the basepaths: if the catcher is in the way of the baserunner without the ball, then it's fielder interference and the baserunner is safe, and if the baserunner runs into the catcher, then it's runner interference and he is out. Unnecessary roughness on the part of either player results in an ejection.
    Actually, unless I'm misinterpreting this is incorrect or perhaps an incomplete a bad analogy.

    Technically, I think blocking the plate is obstruction on the defense, not interference on the offense. It's never called; I'm guessing because the rules are stretched to say that the catcher is in the process of fielding the ball... but when does that start for example on a throw from right field? When the fielder releases it? When it reaches the infield?

    It is treated differently for some reason. If a first baseman parked in front of the first base bag to receive a throw from third, that would be obstruction without question.

    I keep going back to... if catchers are allowed to block the plate, there will be collisions and/or different injuries (see Stephen Drew). Really the only way I can see around it is to force catchers to tag without obstructing home plate.

  6. #56
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Actually, unless I'm misinterpreting this is incorrect or perhaps an incomplete a bad analogy.

    Technically, I think blocking the plate is obstruction on the defense, not interference on the offense. It's never called; I'm guessing because the rules are stretched to say that the catcher is in the process of fielding the ball... but when does that start for example on a throw from right field? When the fielder releases it? When it reaches the infield?

    It is treated differently for some reason. If a first baseman parked in front of the first base bag to receive a throw from third, that would be obstruction without question.

    I keep going back to... if catchers are allowed to block the plate, there will be collisions and/or different injuries (see Stephen Drew). Really the only way I can see around it is to force catchers to tag without obstructing home plate.
    According to the rules, catchers really aren't treated differently from any other fielders - with one rarely-enforced exception which actually limits catchers a little more. Here are the various relevant rules, at least what I've been able to find:

    Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

    OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
    Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball.

    Rule 7.06(b)...NOTE: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.
    A runner's allowed to run into a fielder at any base as long as he's trying to get to the base and the fielder's not trying to field a batted ball.) And any fielder can block a bag as long as he has the ball or is in the act of fielding it.

    What makes a catcher different from other infielders isn't that he can block the base, it's that he does. Other infielders try to avoid straight-on collisions as much as possible; catchers don't. I can't say for sure why that's the case, but I have some ideas:

    1. There's a much greater incentive to prevent the runner from getting to home plate than to any other base.

    2. The catcher's wearing armor, so he has less to fear from a high-spikes slide than other fielders (while the runner has more to fear).

    3. The catcher has far less mobility than other fielders because of his armor (and, well, because he's a catcher). Catching the ball in front of the baseline and then trying to dive back to make the play is rarely effective, as Jorge Posada demonstrated.

    4. Other infielders can hold the ball securely in their glove to make a sweep tag. The catcher needs two hands to hold the ball securely, so he has far less range for making the tag; standing in front of the runner is practically his only choice.

    There are probably other reasons - macho expectations? - which others may suggest.

    There is the note to 7.06(b) that specifically precludes the catcher from blocking the basepath unless he has or is fielding the ball. But I would say that he's not "blocking" the basepath until the runner approaches, so this note is just a restatement of the obstruction rule. In fact, home-plate collisions rarely if ever happen because a catcher's blocking the plate without the ball; in almost every case he either has the ball or is legitimately in position to catch a throw.

    I think it would be wise to teach catchers ways to avoid collisions, just as they teach middle infielders how to protect themselves while making the pivot. But I think the rules are OK.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  7. #57

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Interesting article by Tom Verducci on this: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2Pzd3wDw8

    He's very pro-banning the collisions. The majority of people reacting to him, both on the article and on Facebook, disagree with him. I can see why some people would be against this for various reasons but the fervor with which people are in favor of this particular play staying in tact is pretty fascinating to me.

  8. #58

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    muh tradition
    always reasonable

  9. #59
    Big Poppa dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    I think its time to ban them. We have learned so much about concussions in the past several years...awareness is as high as its ever been. We've seen other sports to take measures to attempt to cut down on violence. Its time baseball does.

  10. #60
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I think its time to ban them. We have learned so much about concussions in the past several years...awareness is as high as its ever been. We've seen other sports to take measures to attempt to cut down on violence. Its time baseball does.
    Completely agreed.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  11. #61
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    What funny is that even Cobb didn't run into the catcher. He slid into home. He probably was smart enough to know that he put himself in danger by making a collision.

  12. #62

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    It seems a common reaction to the possible banning of these plays is that trying to break up double plays should also be banned, but how often is that a guy running full throttle toward second base and plowing into the infielder instead of sliding? Even when that play is dirty, it's not the same as a 220lb man plowing into a guy who's standing straight up AND still with the intention of knocking him to the ground with enough force that he loses control of his grip.

  13. #63
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    It seems a common reaction to the possible banning of these plays is that trying to break up double plays should also be banned, but how often is that a guy running full throttle toward second base and plowing into the infielder instead of sliding? Even when that play is dirty, it's not the same as a 220lb man plowing into a guy who's standing straight up AND still with the intention of knocking him to the ground with enough force that he loses control of his grip.
    That reaction is laughable. I really couldn't remember any runner ran into the infielder in order to break up the DP. And I'm sure if the runner did, he would get retaliated.

  14. #64
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I think its time to ban them. We have learned so much about concussions in the past several years...awareness is as high as its ever been. We've seen other sports to take measures to attempt to cut down on violence. Its time baseball does.
    Yes and what makes it even more irresponsible is that football is by nature a high impact sport, with everybody moving and moving fast. The chances that a player will at some point sustain a concussion is a lot higher, even with better helmet protection and changing the rules. Baseball has the opportunity to cut down on that chance in a situation while the play is developing. You can almost predict a collision at home plate by watching the runner, the ball and the catcher.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  15. #65

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    That reaction is laughable. I really couldn't remember any runner ran into the infielder in order to break up the DP. And I'm sure if the runner did, he would get retaliated.
    I mean, they're saying it sarcastically. Like "why not ban THIS play while you're at it!," not that they actually want the double play breakup banned. I just don't find them comparable.

  16. #66

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    A lot of catchers need to get out of the way if the throw isnt going to be in time.

  17. #67

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Sounds like this is happening, Approved by the rules committee, and now going to the players for approval (and if the players don't approve, the league can put it in without their approval for 2015 anyway).

    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...plate/related/

  18. #68
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    I had my bell rung as catcher blocking the plate. When the dust settled I still had the ball. One of my few proud sports moments.

    Keep it.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  19. #69
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    The only contact in Baseball is meant for the Ball

    It's about time they did this. I've always thought it was ridiculous when people made the argument that it's "part of the game". Say what?? Baseball is a contact sport? Heck why not bowl people over at first and second while you're at it. So just because the catcher has gear it's OK to try to knock him unconscious?

    Dumb dumb dumb, this should never have been tolerated for as long as it has

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/sp...-plate.html?hp

  20. #70

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Don't give a ................ if it's been "part of the game".

    There is no reason we can't improve the game by making it safer.

  21. #71
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Change the rules. I don't like any blocking of home plate, not even the catcher's foot. You either beat the throw and touched the plate or you didn't, just like you do at any base, and that's all that matters. Why can a catcher completely block off the plate on a throw home and get the out even if the throw was late? If that's a good rule, then why can't a 2B or SS block second base on an attempted steal? As far as I'm concerned, injuries are secondary to the discussion.
    Let the kids play.

  22. #72
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    There needs to be a rule where you can't hit the ball hard, because someone might hurt their hand trying to catch it.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  23. #73
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    There needs to be a rule where you can't hit the ball hard, because someone might hurt their hand trying to catch it.
    Yeah - and no more pitchers throwing fastballs.... or overhand for that matter. Because I'm pretty sure that more hitters get injured by taking a fastball off the hands or helmet than catchers to by getting run over at the plate.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  24. #74
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    We don't allow collisions at other bases, so why is it allowed at home?

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  25. #75

    Re: Should collisions at home plate be banned?

    The pussification of America continues. Next up sacking the QB in the NFL is banned.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts