+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Brett Gardner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    With two strikes, he is a career .214/.297/.286 hitter. He's actually gotten worse than that with more time in the majors: .199/.278/.262 in 2011, .175/.262/.455 so far this year. So apparently he actually can't produce in spite of that.

No, actually he can

You're actually making my point. In spite of that stat you cited, he's been a productive player all while being among the leaders in pitches/AB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    His trademark is actually long AB's. He actually has crazy high contact rates. I know, research and facts are a total pain.
    As a Gardner fan, I'm sure you can't be happy with the rate in which he's striking out. I'm a big fan, and I would much rather see his BA and OBP elevated over pitches/AB. It's better for the team and for his career.

Weird stat: Gardner played in all 26 games in April, and finished the month with more homers than stolen bases.
    Let the kids play.

With Granderson coming back soon and Ichiro looking like he's starting to heat up, Gardner better pick up the pace a little bit. It seemed originally that Ichiro was the guy who would suffer from Granderson coming back, but as of now it looks like Gardner is just as vulnerable.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    With Granderson coming back soon and Ichiro looking like he's starting to heat up, Gardner better pick up the pace a little bit. It seemed originally that Ichiro was the guy who would suffer from Granderson coming back, but as of now it looks like Gardner is just as vulnerable.
    I see Girardi mostly rotating the 4 guys, with BenF gone and BB banished to the bench.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Yes I do recall some emphatic overzealous Yankee fans getting overly pumped up about how great Gardner is and will be, while other saner minds thought differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
    Yes I do recall some emphatic overzealous Yankee fans getting overly pumped up about how great Gardner is and will be, while other saner minds thought differently.
    lol @ this guy and his thing for gardner.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...am=9&players=0

I know you don't know what WAR is, but Gardner is 3rd on the team, behind Cano and Wells.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    lol @ this guy and his thing for gardner.

I know you don't know what WAR is, .
    Well then you would be mistaken.

Why am I underwhelmed with that stat..perhaps since his competition is not the rest of baseball but other teammates like Cervelli, Stewart and Nix.

Fixed it for you.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Gardner is actually 4th behind Kuroda and tied with CC.

That must be some active life you have if you've been waiting an entire year to say "I told you so".

Do me a favor and keep your once-a-year posting routine in tact.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

You're referring to the sane mind that couldn't have a reasonable conversation and ended up getting booted off the board I presume? The one that starts a post with an affirmative statement, when they haven't posted in ages and really wasn't part of a discussion in eons? Oh, ok - I feel safer on the boards knowing I have such stable company.

Gardner will be a ~4-6 WAR player by year's end I'm guessing. He'll easily be a top 10 CF. He's .281 / .343 / .406 in May and always heats up in June. Get over your obsession dude.

I'm guessing letting the season play out would be too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You're referring to the sane mind that couldn't have a reasonable conversation and ended up getting booted off the board I presume? The one that starts a post with an affirmative statement, when they haven't posted in ages and really wasn't part of a discussion in eons? Oh, ok - I feel safer on the boards knowing I have such stable company.

Gardner will be a ~4-6 WAR player by year's end I'm guessing. He'll easily be a top 10 CF. He's .281 / .343 / .406 in May and always heats up in June. Get over your obsession dude.
    I'm pretty sure if Gardner finished the year circa Mike Trouth 2012 people will still find something to bitch about.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Nice to see him coming around in the steals department after a rocky start. He really put himself in a position to score.

NYYF MVP

Last nights game could have been managed differently, it's Joe's job to recognize a tired slumping Gardner and he should have known better then to throw Nix who looked even worse then Brett into the two hole!

We could have made a dent but with two players more so Nix that couldn't make contact and no bench Joe has to put together a better lineup... Most of Gardner's woe's have come lately, as I've stated before he looks to be a little tired so why not move him down in the order or give him a day or two to rest..

With Ichiro, Granderson, Wells and Cano we had plenty of players to fill the two hole, enough with trusting Nix in the two hole!! I'm not saying don't play him but he hasn't earned hitting second for the NY Yankees, really!!

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Last nights game could have been managed differently, it's Joe's job to recognize a tired slumping Gardner and he should have known better then to throw Nix who looked even worse then Brett into the two hole!

We could have made a dent but with two players more so Nix that couldn't make contact and no bench Joe has to put together a better lineup... Most of Gardner's woe's have come lately, as I've stated before he looks to be a little tired so why not move him down in the order or give him a day or two to rest..

With Ichiro, Granderson, Wells and Cano we had plenty of players to fill the two hole, enough with trusting Nix in the two hole!! I'm not saying don't play him but he hasn't earned hitting second for the NY Yankees, really!!
    All valid points Ronnie. Well said.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

NYYF Legend

For all his speed and great defensive ability , he is frustrating to watch as a hitter. He strikes out too often and needs to be more aggressive as a hitter .

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    For all his speed and great defensive ability , he is frustrating to watch as a hitter. He strikes out too often and needs to be more aggressive as a hitter .
    Big difference is his swing when he takes the level swing or the upswing when he's trying to lift the ball.

Maybe those HR's he hit got into his head, but he really needs to swing more level most of the time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

If I'm Girardi there's no way I sit Gardner on a day where Montero is catching. His first 4 AB's yesterday were miserable, but that last at bat showed why you can't sit him particularly against feeble catchers. One out single is as good as a triple in that situation.

I agree with the #2 spot in the order being frustrating. Girardi's hands are kind of tied, but I'd rather have black hole bats at the bottom of the lineup than a nice L/R/L/R/etc lineup.

I was actually surprised to see that the Yankees are 7th (thought they'd be much lower) in the AL in sOPS+ from #2 hitters. But when you look more closely, that's due to the ~100 AB where Cano mashed there. In the other ~100 AB, here's what has been produced:

Suzuki: 62 sOPS+
    Nix: 55 sOPS+
    Wells: 49 sOPS+
    Nunez: -31 sOPS+
    Francisco: -42 sOPS+

Ichiro has had a shot at hitting second, even violating the binder batting order laws, and has not done well. And he's been abysmal in May wherever they put him (.192 / .222 / .327).

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    If I'm Girardi there's no way I sit Gardner on a day where Montero is catching. His first 4 AB's yesterday were miserable, but that last at bat showed why you can't sit him particularly against feeble catchers. One out single is as good as a triple in that situation.

I agree with the #2 spot in the order being frustrating. Girardi's hands are kind of tied, but I'd rather have black hole bats at the bottom of the lineup than a nice L/R/L/R/etc lineup.

I was actually surprised to see that the Yankees are 7th (thought they'd be much lower) in the AL in sOPS+ from #2 hitters. But when you look more closely, that's due to the ~100 AB where Cano mashed there. In the other ~100 AB, here's what has been produced:

Suzuki: 62 sOPS+
    Nix: 55 sOPS+
    Wells: 49 sOPS+
    Nunez: -31 sOPS+
    Francisco: -42 sOPS+

Ichiro has had a shot at hitting second, even violating the binder batting order laws, and has not done well. And he's been abysmal in May wherever they put him (.192 / .222 / .327).
    You have a good mind for baseball, but as you know it's a game of highs and lows, ups and downs, hot and cold.. Joe does a good job moving pitchers around, and it all depends on who's hot and who's not, just thinking if he applied the same principle to our lineup we may have a little more success..

NYYF Legend

You have a good mind for baseball, but as you know it's a game of highs and lows, ups and downs, hot and cold.. Joe does a good job moving pitchers around, and it all depends on who's hot and who's not, just thinking if he applied the same principle to our lineup we may have a little more success..
    Hot and cold are nice "feel" terms but they actually have very little predictive power with resct to hitters and what they will do over their next small sample of ABs.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

I should have been more specific, I'm talking about the one and two holes.. I agree that for the most part Gardner is a good leadoff guy, but he's been plummeting lately... Then to add Nix in the two hole, well they left nine men on base with less then two outs, that's my point.

As soon as I seen the lineup I couldn't believe it, with the players that we have you can't bat Nix two!! The results speak for themselves...

hitting .267 /.348 /.500 /.848 off of lefties this year.
    like delv, but better

Pretty nice surprise.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Pretty nice surprise.
    Yeah, the isop is a tremendous surprise, and almost certainly unsustainable. The downside is his triple slash against RHP is relatively poor.

Thread Information