+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 Brett Gardner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    He's hardly alone...need I remind you of Cano's record-breaking hitless streak in the postseason last year after a torrid summer?
    Followed by MVP of the WBC in the spring.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Followed by MVP of the WBC in the spring.
    WBC stands for Who bloody cares? ( I know, it needs work, but I'll come up with something.)
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Was curious so looked it up:

Mantle 5'11'' 198 lbs

Gardner 5' 10'' 183 lbs

Not as much difference as you'd expect- at least not as much to explain the huge power difference between the two

Get the feeling that with a different approach Gardner would be able to hit for a lot more power
    That's my boy

Given the RF short porch, I could see him getting 10hr/year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    That's my boy

Given the RF short porch, I could see him getting 10hr/year
    Mantlesque.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Mantlesque.
    In this lineup, yep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Mantlesque.
    I wonder how he stacks up with the Mick after the game?

Gonna be a real shame when the Yankees move Gardner back to LF.

NYYF Legend

Not gonna happen. ^

Never should have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Not gonna happen. ^

Never should have happened.
    It really shouldn't but given Girardi's comments in spring training it probably will.

NYYF Legend

Say it ain't so!

I must be mistaken then. I was thinking the move was to be permanent.
    Young Joe must feel he needs to cater to Grandy's defensive needs vs. the teams.

The "Jet" has already displayed his CF superiority over Granderson in the 3 games played this year.

Love his play in CF and he showed some pop last night. Offensively, his legs haven't been as successful these three games. Failed attempt at a bunt single, a CS and getting thrown out by a mile trying to stretch a single into a double. Hope it's not the same kind of base running funk he went through a couple of years ago.

Dude could fly, but sometimes he's not the smartest baserunner. In that respect, he's a little bit like Bernie. But I'll take it - he's still one of my favorite Yankees and I hope the Yanks aren't dumb enough to move him to LF when Granderson returns.

NYYF Legend

Actually, the plays he was thrown out on were due in part to very good throws and or picks.
    That head first slide..................freaks me..........gotta take care of those wrists.
    I loved his energy.
    He made those plays way closer than they should have been and without the solid D by Boston he's safe by a mile.
    Teams really have to make sharp plays to get him, which will not happen too often % wise.

NYYF Cy Young

He got a terrible jump on his attempted steal last night, but it didn't help that Ross throw it right on the button. His defense is stellar, he should never be moved from CF.

Actually, the plays he was thrown out on were due in part to very good throws and or picks.
    That head first slide..................freaks me..........gotta take care of those wrists.
    I loved his energy.
    He made those plays way closer than they should have been and without the solid D by Boston he's safe by a mile.
    Teams really have to make sharp plays to get him, which will not happen too often % wise.
    Could be the reason, though I don't think it was the best idea trying to stretch that single into a double that didn't need a perfect throw to nail him. Was just a minor complaint of mine- or rather an observation, as he's one of the few bright spots on this team, IMO

NYYF Legend

It's only a good idea if he's safe.

I did have the same feeling about that as you, however he is one of the players who needs to be aggressive, because he has the gift to be aggressive.
    The Yankees more than ever, right now, have to make opponents make plays.
    He made Ross make a play, Victorino, Iglesias and to a lesser extent Dempster who has to watch him over at 1st.
    True though, Gardy help contribute to the Dumb Sox dumb luck.

Say it ain't so!

I must be mistaken then. I was thinking the move was to be permanent.
    Young Joe must feel he needs to cater to Grandy's defensive needs vs. the teams.

The "Jet" has already displayed his CF superiority over Granderson in the 3 games played this year.
    The sad thing is we can understand when he's a slave to the NOTEBOOK on things like L/R matchups because there is some data to justify it, but in this case there's no f/n rationale for keeping Gardner in LF.

NYYF Legend

I sure can't figure it out.

NYYF Cy Young

Is he possibly slowing down a half-step or two? He does turn 30 this summer
    " I used to be confused... but now I just don't know..."

It was a risky gamble of Gardner going for two whaen the ball hit the bag, it had to take a perfect throw from Victorino to get him, which unfortunately happened. Love his hustle.

NYYF Cy Young

I suspect Girardi will move Gardner back to left field simply because he thinks Granderson will have trouble playing left with no practice in spring training - and he's probably right about that. But I agree Gardner in CF looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Jeter View Post
    Is he possibly slowing down a half-step or two? He does turn 30 this summer
    I doubt it. He got a semi-poor jump on the SB attempt and it still took a great throw/tag to catch him. I didn't have a problem with him trying to stretch the single into a double. In fact he would have been safe if he busted out of the box; he appeared to hesitate thinking it was foul initially. That I do have a problem with. A player of his profile shouldn't hesitate since his speed can turn infield outs into hits/errors and grab extra bases.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I suspect Girardi will move Gardner back to left field simply because he thinks Granderson will have trouble playing left with no practice in spring training - and he's probably right about that.
    Lmao no. No he is not probably right about that. Its the outfield. If you trust a player in CF then they can play the corner OF positions. Granderson has played LF before. It will be cake for a good OF to move. And if Grandy is not a good OF then there is even more reason to move him. Finally, he has to rehab, so let him rehab in LF if everyone is SO WORRIED that granderson can't move over.

Jackie Bradley Jr managed to move to LF in his major league debut despite never playing there, I think Granderson can handle what a rookie can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I doubt it. He got a semi-poor jump on the SB attempt and it still took a great throw/tag to catch him. I didn't have a problem with him trying to stretch the single into a double. In fact he would have been safe if he busted out of the box; he appeared to hesitate thinking it was foul initially. That I do have a problem with. A player of his profile shouldn't hesitate since his speed can turn infield outs into hits/errors and grab extra bases.
    David Ross is an elite thrower, he probably should not have attempted period, especially on a cold night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Lmao no. No he is not probably right about that. Its the outfield. If you trust a player in CF then they can play the corner OF positions. Granderson has played LF before. It will be cake for a good OF to move. And if Grandy is not a good OF then there is even more reason to move him. Finally, he has to rehab, so let him rehab in LF if everyone is SO WORRIED that granderson can't move over.

Jackie Bradley Jr managed to move to LF in his major league debut despite never playing there, I think Granderson can handle what a rookie can handle.

David Ross is an elite thrower, he probably should not have attempted period, especially on a cold night.
    The only tricky part of LF is the sun at certain times of the afternoon- BFD

Does the drive to $189M ( mediocrity ) not allow for polarized sunglasses in the budget?

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Take that hand condom off......it's sapping your SB powers.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Via Andrew Marchand: Brian Cashman reiterated the team will indeed bring Curtis Granderson back as the center fielder once his fractured right forearm heals up. “I don’t think so,” said the GM when asked if there was a chance of keeping Brett Gardner in center.
    Just lol.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Thread Information