+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2013 Brett Gardner Performance Thread

I wonder if what Girardi ISN"T saying is that he thinks for some reason Granderson will be REALLY AWFUL in left field, or that his decline in center suggests that he wouldn't be able to make the switch? Otherwise, I agree that none of this makes any sense!

Let me put it this way.

I think Girardi thinks Granderson hasn't been bad enough to deserve a demotion.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    And how is Melky Mesa good= or even better than Gardner at hitting?

Again, if Girardi persists in this nonsense, he should not be renewed
    I agree with the severity of stupidity if this line of thinking holds, but Cashman could massage this situation with Girardi if he so chose. So if it stands, I think Cash is implicit and therefore wouldn't hold it against Girardi when they next talk contract.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Given to guys who are athletic and look good fielding.

Actual fielding results... well, never mind that.

Blame Fogerty

He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Good grief.

This is even more troubling considering the upcoming decisions regarding Gardner's future here. If they really are blind to his value, I'm worried they'll trade him to a team like Tampa for garbage or fail to extend him.

Candidate for worst (non)move of the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I wonder if what Girardi ISN"T saying is that he thinks for some reason Granderson will be REALLY AWFUL in left field, or that his decline in center suggests that he wouldn't be able to make the switch? Otherwise, I agree that none of this makes any sense!
    If the idea is that Granderson is so bad that he can't play LF, then he most certainly should not be in CF. Granderson to DH!

And how is Melky Mesa good= or even better than Gardner at hitting?

Again, if Girardi persists in this nonsense, he should not be renewed
    Does that relate to my post in any way?

Given to guys who are athletic and look good fielding.

Actual fielding results... well, never mind that.
    That's completely different from saying that "old school baseball guys feel [that] CF is a reward for being good at hitting."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That's completely different from saying that "old school baseball guys feel [that] CF is a reward for being good at hitting."
    You're right. WHat I meant to say is Granderson, at least in part, is staying in CF because he can hit.

You're right. WHat I meant to say is Granderson, at least in part, is staying in CF because he can hit.
    That could be. It's better than my explanation, because I have none.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I agree with the severity of stupidity if this line of thinking holds, but Cashman could massage this situation with Girardi if he so chose. So if it stands, I think Cash is implicit and therefore wouldn't hold it against Girardi when they next talk contract.
    Yep, there's no chance that it will happen- just so obvious that it's a boneheaded decision by the organization.

Just that the manager really has such a small part to do with the success of a team that when he makes such dumb decisions it really brings his value to the team way down. Add it to his L/R obsession and he really has negative value despite his good pen management

I think there's zero chance he's not brought back unless the team implodes in ugly fashion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Does that relate to my post in any way?

It referred to a post before yours

Sorry to upset you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

It referred to a post before yours

Sorry to upset you
    Not upset, just confused. It certainly looked like it was referring to my post. Now I feel better.
    - Barry Manilow

Gardner was DHing today against the Marlins from his, hopefully, regular lead off spot. He did nothing, I like the guy but today an average performance from Nunez and decent showing from Thomas Neal made it look even worse.

Totally agree that he should be moved to CF and if it doesn't happen in ST Girardi is not exactly flexible when it comes to moving, healthy, guys around to get the best from them.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    Gardner was DHing today against the Marlins from his, hopefully, regular lead off spot. He did nothing, I like the guy but today an average performance from Nunez and decent showing from Thomas Neal made it look even worse.

Totally agree that he should be moved to CF and if it doesn't happen in ST Girardi is not exactly flexible when it comes to moving, healthy, guys around to get the best from them.
    One game eh? You realize he has 11 hits in 24 at bats, yes? 2 SB? .458 / .536 / .542? He's not going to sustain that triple slash, but he's not going to bat .000 either.

I said before ST started... this is Gardner's break out season. I'm looking for .380 OBP and >60 SB, and a GG in CF (you hear me, Girardi???)

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_88 View Post
    Wow, this is high quality analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

One game eh? You realize he has 11 hits in 24 at bats, yes? 2 SB? .458 / .536 / .542? He's not going to sustain that triple slash, but he's not going to bat .000 either.

I said before ST started... this is Gardner's break out season. I'm looking for .380 OBP and >60 SB, and a GG in CF (you hear me, Girardi???)
    He can hit that number, but in how many attempts? Maybe Ichiro can help with his reads and jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    He can hit that number, but in how many attempts? Maybe Ichiro can help with his reads and jumps.
    His career rate is 82% sooo 73 attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Yep, although last year he had a string of really bad SB attempts that I'm hoping was a "running slump" of some sort. In '10 he was successful on 47 of 56 (88%) so that ratio would require 68 attempts. If he acheives that OBP I'm speculating, and at his proven isop, and with this team's overall offensive vulnerabilities, he'd better be attempting 68 SBs.

I have a feeling what position Gardner plays is an organizational decision. Giradi probably has input but my guess is the final call will be made by Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    I think it should be even higher given his speed and age, although that's admittedly better than I realized. Should have done my homework.

I wonder if I'm recalling those instances late in games where we NEEDED him to steal (possibly working as a pinch runner) and he seemed to wait and put hitters into bad counts. Not saying he's any worse in that situation (though I guess it would stand to reason that he is), just trying to figure out why I had it in my head that he could use some help on his reads.

I think it should be even higher given his speed and age, although that's admittedly better than I realized. Should have done my homework.

I wonder if I'm recalling those instances late in games where we NEEDED him to steal (possibly working as a pinch runner) and he seemed to wait and put hitters into bad counts. Not saying he's any worse in that situation (though I guess it would stand to reason that he is), just trying to figure out why I had it in my head that he could use some help on his reads.
    Yeah that has been a source of some frustration. Plus, he did in fact have a weird spell in '11 where he was getting caught frequently, but improved.

He does have one of the best SB% in the game, so I can see how easily you might confuse him with being the worst.

His rate is as good as Michael Bourn. Ichiro was better but doesn't steal as often, and even receives the same criticism as Gardner often gets. You have to consider that Gardner is one of the few SB threats on the Yankees, and he receives an insane amount of attention once he reaches first. He may not be able to steal first pitch if the pitching is throwing over 20 times or he is getting snap thrown by the catcher.

I wish everyone would just be content with having a guy that leads the league in # of successful SB and SB%.

Yeah that has been a source of some frustration. Plus, he did in fact have a weird spell in '11 where he was getting caught frequently, but improved.
    Very good call. On 6/11 that year he was caught stealing twice, making him 13-9 for the season.

The rest of the way, he was 36-4.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information