+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2013 Brett Gardner Performance Thread

3-3 today against the Orioles in ST. Seems to me that Gardner is getting a lot of attention from the media for some reason. Is it the move to CF? Is it also because Granderson is out? Either way, dude is hella funny/honest.

Gardner knows Girardi doesn't like the head-first slide, but he couldn't help himself:
    "Iíve done it countless times. Letís get serious, I broke my thumb sliding feet first three or four years ago. Itís a silly game. Itís definitely not something I should have done. Iíll work on not doing it anymore.

ďIíve collided with the pitcher on those plays before. The pitcherís had a throw up the line and reached out and tagged me in the chest before I touched the bag before. Itís the kind of thing where, itís almost just habit.

ďHe didnít say anything to me. Heís said it enough to me where he probably knows itís going in one ear and out the other.Ē
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 Brett Gardner Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    3-3 today against the Orioles in ST. Seems to me that Gardner is getting a lot of attention from the media for some reason. Is it the move to CF? Is it also because Granderson is out? Either way, dude is hella funny/honest.

I haven't really noticed more coverage for Gardner, but if there is, folks got to talk about something other than declaring doom upon the 2013 club, at least occasionally, given how A-Rod is all but banished and there's only so many pieces about Mo's ACL, Jeter's ankle, and CC going cold turkey on cereal that could be done.

Probably more coverage given that the two times he has played almost no other big guys were in the lineup. A-rods not even in camp AND he is part of a highly public 'position switch'

I'd be giving him attention too, for continuing to dive headfirst into first base like a moron right after Granderson gets knocked out for 10 weeks. In Spring Training no less.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'd be giving him attention too, for continuing to dive headfirst into first base like a moron right after Granderson gets knocked out for 10 weeks. In Spring Training no less.
    Gardener needs to have some common sense. If he goes down, who replaces him?

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

I predict good things from Gardner this year. >.375 obp, 60 SB and gold glove in CF.

The bunt he put down was a beauty. If he can do that consistently he's going to be a nightmare.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I predict good things from Gardner this year. >.375 obp, 60 SB and gold glove in CF.
    I hope you're correct. I love me some Gardy. I'm also hoping for a healthy 150+ games.

Whoa, that would put him in mvp consideration

IDK if i'd be that optimistic but I do expect a career year from Gardner.
    ďHe's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post

Yeah, I'm going on nothing other than gut/confidence (and probably hope), but I think he'll deliver on those figures. Wouldn't bet the farm obviously, but...

Even so, no way he gets MVP consideration even if he delivers that. That might get him up there in WAR (especially with his defense), but voters don't look at that.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post

He had an OBP of .383 in 2010 and stole 47 bases. The gold glove voting is very subjective and difficult to predict, but the offensive numbers, while optimistic, aren't implausible.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Those numbers, with no power, will not get him MVP consideration.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Unless he does it with 200+ hits and .300+BA, those numbers won't be MVP.

They'll be lock for GG though.

My favorite current Yankee.

So, in his time on camera today, Girardi said " if Mesa makes the team, we'll have him play center as he's sued to playing there. In fact, that's why we have Gardner in left today" .

For a bright guy, he's really stupid when it comes to Gardner. Somehow Gardner learned how to play left to accommodate Grandy. Mesa can't do the same? We've got 3 more weeks in ST- shouldn't they be using that time to play Mesa in LF?

I really fell that Girardi doesn't appreciate what he's got in Gardner. He's the best f'n defender in the game, but they don't use him in the most important OF position???

Think of all the times he's sat v LHP when he really doesn't have much of a split at all

I think his use of Gardner alone should make tham think about reupping him ( I know wishful thinking )

PS

Stuck on stupid:
    Unsurprisingly, Girardi said the Yankees are likely to bring Curtis Granderson back from his injury as a center fielder. “I’m not 100% sure, but that’s what we’ve talked about,” said the skipper. Their top priority will getting Granderson’s bat back into the lineup as soon as possible, not saving a handful of runs the rest of the season. [Dan Barbarisi & Murti]
    "

RAB
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    So, in his time on camera today, Girardi said " if Mesa makes the team, we'll have him play center as he's sued to playing there. In fact, that's why we have Gardner in left today" .

For a bright guy, he's really stupid when it comes to Gardner. Somehow Gardner learned how to play left to accommodate Grandy. Mesa can't do the same? We've got 3 more weeks in ST- shouldn't they be using that time to play Mesa in LF?

I really fell that Girardi doesn't appreciate what he's got in Gardner. He's the best f'n defender in the game, but they don't use him in the most important OF position???

Think of all the times he's sat v LHP when he really doesn't have much of a split at all

I think his use of Gardner alone should make tham think about reupping him ( I know wishful thinking )

PS

Stuck on stupid:
    Unsurprisingly, Girardi said the Yankees are likely to bring Curtis Granderson back from his injury as a center fielder. ďIím not 100% sure, but thatís what weíve talked about,Ē said the skipper. Their top priority will getting Grandersonís bat back into the lineup as soon as possible, not saving a handful of runs the rest of the season. [Dan Barbarisi & Murti]
    "

RAB
    Couldn't agree more. I mean, are they just not looking when Gardner plays CF? Throw all the defensive metrics out, all you have to do is watch this guy play CF and you know he is elite out there. Gardner can switch to LF, but Granderson and Mesa can't? Particularly with the latter becoming a liability on balls hit straight at him in CF??

Couldn't agree more. I mean, are they just not looking when Gardner plays CF? Throw all the defensive metrics out, all you have to do is watch this guy play CF and you know he is elite out there. Gardner can switch to LF, but Granderson and Mesa can't? Particularly with the latter becoming a liability on balls hit straight at him in CF??
    I dont get why Girardi is making moving Granderson to LF such a big deal. He acts like he needs all these ST games to feel comfortable. Come on man, its CF to LF. This is such a common move. Players do it all the time.

Its not like we are asking him to move to the infield and learn an entirely different position with different responsibilities.

This makes no sense. Didn't the Yankees play Ichiro in LF for the first time EVER in the heat of a pennant race last season?? It worked out fine. Granderson, like Ichiro, is a veteran and would adjust.

I think whoever said above that Girardi/Yankees brass underestimates Gardner's abilities is dead right. The leadership has been so offensively (and home run) focused for far too long.

NYYF MVP

I have a hard time believing that Granderson could be any worse in LF than he is in CF, regardless of how uncomfortable he feels out there.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    I have a hard time believing that Granderson could be any worse in LF than he is in CF, regardless of how uncomfortable he feels out there.
    Don't vent much, as the Yankees & baseball are main outlet/escape from everyday stress but damn! Y'all have echoed my sentiments succinctly -- and it's frustrating as all hell, get out
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Girardi basically voicing how a lot of old school baseball guys feel... CF is a reward for being good at hitting. As long as you're not totally atrocious, your bat wins GGs and CFs.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    CF is a reward for being good at hitting.
    I don't think that's ever really been true. Maybe it's happened on occasion, but CF is usually given to guys who can field.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't think that's ever really been true. Maybe it's happened on occasion, but CF is usually given to guys who can field.
    And how is Melky Mesa good= or even better than Gardner at hitting?

Again, if Girardi persists in this nonsense, he should not be renewed
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Given to guys who are athletic and look good fielding.

Actual fielding results... well, never mind that.

Thread Information