+ Reply to Thread
Page 183 of 189 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 4717

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    OK - Bernie Williams-like.
    Not sure if you remember just how good Bernie Williams was.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think people really look past his level of production because he such was a quite contributer.
    From 1994 through 2002 this guy totally raked. Totally.
    His lowest wRC+ was 120 in that span.
    Sick production.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    All I am trying to say is the farm system should provide average to above-average ML players on a regular basis and a very good player every 3 years or so. Yeah I get that super/HOF players aren't cranked out all of the time. But in the mid to late 90s we did get a bunch, didn't we? So to go from that to what we are currently getting, then compared to what some other teams are producing, and therein lies the problem with the farm system.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    All I am trying to say is the farm system should provide average to above-average ML players on a regular basis and a very good player every 3 years or so. Yeah I get that super/HOF players aren't cranked out all of the time. But in the mid to late 90s we did get a bunch, didn't we? So to go from that to what we are currently getting, then compared to what some other teams are producing, and therein lies the problem with the farm system.
    Probably a good part of the reason why they won 4 WS in 5 years.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    With nothing coming up from the farm, no one of value to trade, and very little in the way of impact players on the FA market this coming year, not to mention potential spending limitations, please tell me how, exactly.
    Exactly what ? Please read the statement grammatically, the subordinate clause is dependent on the preceding clause. I'll re-phrase it for you: the Yanks WITH Cano can fail to win a WS. They can just as well fail to win a WS WITHOUT Cano. If you were old enough, you would understand the reference of the statement, when years ago the Pirates told Ralph Kiner (who hit 40 hrs year after year) "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you."
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Cashman demanded and received full control of this team after the 2005 season. It is nearly 8 years later, and the farm system has produced next to nothing, certainly nothing close to a 5-tool, impact player (eg Machado). He hung onto Hughes and Joba who were disasters. Two of the three "Killer B's" have already crapped out as starters, one is no longer in the organization, and there is certainly no guarantee that Banuelos will be successful at the ML level. The fact that we had not one player in the high minors ready and able to come up and help an aging team decimated by injuries this year is beyond pathetic. Several "top" farmhands seemed largely to have regressed this past year. Forgive me for not blindly buying in to all of these supposedly great farmhands we have in the low minors who are, at best, several years away from being ML ready. Not to mention his embarassing and unprofessional behavior in the ARod situation this past year.
    Can anyone tell me why I should have an ounce of confidence in his talent evaluation skills, and in his ability to rebuild this team, particularly with financial constraints? Even though I hear from some people all the time what a good GM he is and how it would stink to lose him, I fail actually to see evidence of this. If I didn't know any better, he seems to have average-at-best skills and to have been fortunate enough to inherit a core of two HOF players and 2 more on the border, and a championship team put together largely by other people. He also seems lost when he is unable to cover his mistakes by throwing money at them.
    Absolutely agree... don't forget all the mistakes made that get hidden by $$$ especially relating to pitching... what other franchise would pay Igawa $$$ in the minot league ??
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Cy Young

And then, in a rebound reaction, showing no interest in Darvish because he's a Japanese pitcher

I want to cry.

Might be a stupid question, is Gene Michael still involved in some capacity with the Yankees anymore? Wish he would have a more prominent role again, or at least in minor league development.
    THE EVIL EMPIRE

It is at least appropriate that Joba gave up the " Death Blow" to end the season !

Really though if this team backdoored their way into the playoffs somehow, they would have lost the wild card game or the first series.

The only part of the team presently that is better than any other playoff team is Cano at 2B. The rest of team compares badly to any other playoff team..... OK. Rivera might be better than most closers....but it would never get to him.

The rest of the team is garbage.

NYYF Legend

Andy McCullough@McCulloughSL 8m
    Alex Rodriguez: "We ran into the Red Sox wave -- and we haven't recovered."

Gee....thanks Alex.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Cy Young

Andy is not garbage - and Kuroda is just burnt out after carrying a non-hitting team all year. But the intensity that these two exhibit is clearly not understood by a lot of the players - hence the 2 1/2 hour games.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Andy is not garbage - and Kuroda is just burnt out after carrying a non-hitting team all year. But the intensity that these two exhibit is clearly not understood by a lot of the players - hence the 2 1/2 hour games.
    Well AP will surely retire along with MR. If I were Cano I'd jump ship on this declining team....not enough left to pay me 25MM and stay under 189 MM and have a competitive team with all the dead money owed to CC, Tex, Jeter, Ichiro....even if they get an bye on A-Roid's money for 2014.

This team will suck at 189 MM next year....so Cano will book out like a postal worker using up sick leave !

Haven't heard the word book used in that context in nearly 30 years, Brought back some memories- thanks Doug

Split, man. Cano's gonna split.

But, I think he's a Yank next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Well AP will surely retire along with MR. If I were Cano I'd jump ship on this declining team....
    Cano will go to the highest bidder. Not a great time for him to hit FA, the big money teams are pretty well situated at his position. I think a the end of the day, the Yanks will be the highest bidder. I think Robbie would gladly cash the checks on a mediocre to poor Yankees team. Not highest bidder? Then he is gone.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by bxbomber328 View Post
    Might be a stupid question, is Gene Michael still involved in some capacity with the Yankees anymore? Wish he would have a more prominent role again, or at least in minor league development.
    Shhhh...don't give Cashman any ideas. He might go after Stick to play shortstop next season. He fits Cash's profile.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Rebuild...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bxbomber328 View Post
    I would guess Gene still has a position as an advisor. Since Gene is now 75 years old I would doubt that he would want to take on a major role in the player development dept. again. The sad thing is after Gene basically turned the entire operation around in the early 1990's the Yankees did not really try to hire capable replacements for him. Which is why our farm system is such a mess today.

NYYF Cy Young

If you think of the season this way, it wasn't so bad to have 80 wins-- Jeter, Texeira, ARod and Granderson thus far combined have a total of 100 hits for the year.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    If you think of the season this way, it wasn't so bad to have 80 wins-- Jeter, Texeira, ARod and Granderson thus far combined have a total of 100 hits for the year.
    I much prefer to watch a team overachieve than underachieve. Overall, it was an enjoyable season save for the past week.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Bag302 View Post
    I much prefer to watch a team overachieve than underachieve. Overall, it was an enjoyable season save for the past week.
    Actually, there have been a number of other weeks that also were not that enjoyable.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

What we witnessed today was a bad team, which actually overachieved this year, which is now officially out of miracles, smoke, or mirrors.

Devoted Member

What we witnessed today was a bad team, which actually overachieved this year, which is now officially out of miracles, smoke, or mirrors.
    I think this game was the final nail in the coffin for one of the worse seasons I can remember in the last 20 years.

I'm surprised they will finish over .500

It would be nice if Jeter retired along with Mo and Pettitte too !

Thread Information