+ Reply to Thread
Page 177 of 189 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 187 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 4717

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Robertson should have busted in on Girardi's post game and angrily demanded he speak to the scorer about it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    The official scorer awarded the win to Rivera tonight. In all my years of watching baseball I have never seen this happen. Even know Robertson blew the lead in the 8th he should still be awarded the win. You think maybe the official scorer awarded the win to Mo because that would have been his 44th save this season and would have tied him with the O's Johnson for the league lead?
    Johnson has 43 saves and Rivera is already tied with him.
    There have been two pitchers this year to allow at least 3 earned runs in at most 1 inning, not be the last pitcher on their team, and get a blown save and a win.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Johnson has 43 saves and Rivera is already tied with him.
    There have been two pitchers this year to allow at least 3 earned runs in at most 1 inning, not be the last pitcher on their team, and get a blown save and a win.
    So the scorer prevented Mo from passing Johnson. So you are saying that in two other cases this year the pitcher who blew the save got the win and I assume another pitcher got the save. Like what should have happened last night.

NYYF Legend

So the scorer prevented Mo from passing Johnson. So you are saying that in two other cases this year the pitcher who blew the save got the win and I assume another pitcher got the save. Like what should have happened last night.
    It is discretionary. I suppose he could have given the Win to David Huff and the Save to Mo if he thought Huff was the most effective reliever. Again not a big deal here folks.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Lost in all of this is that the Yanks won an improbable game, taking 3 straight in Baltimore who otherwise dominated the Yankees this year in every category except wins, by using the oldest player in baseball to close out all 3 games, AND starting Phil Hughes who hasn't won a game since early July.
    Let the kids play.

Mo has enough saves, but now he's only 5 wins away from tying Sparky Lyle on the "most career wins by a reliever in the AL" list.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I'm sure I didn't mean to impugn anyone's integrity. People here regularly accuse umpires, journalists and broadcasters of acting out of sheer anti-Yankee animus. I thought official scorers would be fair game also.

Mo, serene as ever, doesn't care:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/09/1...ame-notes-116/
    I almost always find those accusations to a stretch at best, and a pretty tiresome stretch at best. You're not prone to them, though, which is why this surprised me. I honestly can't figure out why an official scorer would care that much about denying Mariano Rivera a save.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

The two cases are Michael Wacha on August 19 and Drew Storen on July 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    It is discretionary. I suppose he could have given the Win to David Huff and the Save to Mo if he thought Huff was the most effective reliever. Again not a big deal here folks.
    I would think that Huff could not get the win because the Yankees didn't have their final lead at that time.

I'd think getting a win ( under these circumstances) gives Mo greater recognition for his role in the game.

Isn't a in better than a save ?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I would think that Huff could not get the win because the Yankees didn't have their final lead at that time.
    Yeah, my bad.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I almost always find those accusations to a stretch at best, and a pretty tiresome stretch at best. You're not prone to them, though, which is why this surprised me. I honestly can't figure out why an official scorer would care that much about denying Mariano Rivera a save.
    I must be an awful Yankees fan because I can't figure out why this an issue? I don't care if Rivera gets credited with a save or win - it's completely unimportant to me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I must be an awful Yankees fan because I can't figure out why this an issue? I don't care if Rivera gets credited with a save or win - it's completely unimportant to me.
    It's an issue because every time gets a save he breaks the all time saves record. Also, it would be great if he led the league in saves in his final year.
    Let the kids play.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    It's an issue because every time gets a save he breaks the all time saves record. Also, it would be great if he led the league in saves in his final year.
    He could have done that by not blowing 6 saves.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    He could have done that by not blowing 6 saves.
    How else is he going to vulture all those wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I couldn't tell you what the all time save number is currently. (Or even come close to guessing a number near it). Don't know, don't care.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I couldn't tell you what the all time save number is currently. (Or even come close to guessing a number near it). Don't know, don't care.
    651 and counting.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    If Gardy is out for the rest of the season, I would make the lineup...

Granderson
    Arod
    Cano
    Soriano
    Overbay
    Nunez
    Ichiro
    Wells/Reynolds (DH)
    Stewart

If Arod still needs to DH, then put Reynolds at third and have Arod DH and Nunez at SS. I can't stand Ryan/Stewart as 8-9. Also, we have to find a catcher. Please get Romine healthy or just throw in Murphy for Christ sake.

EDIT: One reason I don't lead off Ichiro is because you want your best players getting as many Ab's as possible, and Ichiro has not looked good lately. Granderson also has experience there.
    I should be the damn manager. Today's lineup....

Grandy
    Arod (dh)
    Cano
    Soriano
    Overbay
    Nunez
    Ichiro
    Ryan
    Stewart

Well... with the recent wins maybe I won't have to travel to Houston after all!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Not that you have much choice, but Claiborne should probably be shut down.

Bad would be a big improvement over what he is doing.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF MVP

What are the odds that the Tins squeak past TB tonight?
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Price is Right

Bullpen is like a wet paper bag. At the worst possible time
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

NYYF Legend

It really blows chunks to be owned by the Red Sox 6-11 thus far, and losing 4 of 5 so far in September..
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Yankee pitchers this year have now allowed six grand slams ... the most in MLB.

Meanwhile, Yankee batters have managed a total of just three.

Red Sox have eight after tonight, the most in MLB, while allowing just two.

I asked the Twins' official scorer, Stew Thornley, if he agreed with the scoring decision that awarded Rivera the win rather than the save against the Orioles. His reply:

"I don't disagree, but I wouldn't apply it, especially to deny a closer a save and especially if this closer is battling the home-team's closer for the lead in saves, unless it matched the suggested guideline (less than an inning). Will be interesting to see if the Yanks appeal it."
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I asked the Twins' official scorer, Stew Thornley, if he agreed with the scoring decision that awarded Rivera the win rather than the save against the Orioles. His reply:

"I don't disagree, but I wouldn't apply it, especially to deny a closer a save and especially if this closer is battling the home-team's closer for the lead in saves, unless it matched the suggested guideline (less than an inning). Will be interesting to see if the Yanks appeal it."

I believe there is an award given each year to the reliever with the most saves. Would be a shame if Mo missed out because he was denied a save by this official scorer.

Thread Information