+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 189 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 136 176 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 4717
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ugh, Mesa. I would have preferred Mustellier or F-Mart.
    40-man roster question. Both Mesa & Neal are on it. Mustelier is not and Martinez is on the DL.

Also, Mesa has at least been mentioned in one possible trade, so putting him on waivers almost certainly means losing him.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Anyone realize how awful this rotation is gonna be if Kuroda bolts this offseason?

CC
    Pineda
    Hughes?
    Nova?
    Warrens/Nuno/Phelps?

Ackk.
    I can't imagine they would have Kuroda and Pettite both leave (and possibly Hughes)and not try to fill from the FA market. The selection isn't great and none of them will be worth the money they get, but it easily beats going with Warren, Phelps or Nuno.

Garza
    Lincecum
    Maholm
    Nolasco
    Vargas
    possibly Lester

And depending on how strongly you feel on bounceback chances, Halladay and Josh Johnson. Peavy's probably available through trade as well.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    @jonmorosi: LHP Artur Strzałka becomes first player born and raised in Poland to sign with #MLB team, the Yankees. Sto lat! (h/t @WBCBaseball)
    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Is that a slanted t?
    No, it's a "Polish L." Sounds sort of like English "w": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81

Can't wait to see him in pinstripes. Judging by this picture, he has two heads, and three arms and three legs. Maybe HE can hit a baseball.

Artur Strzałka, baseballista z Rybnika zagra w New York Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    40-man roster question. Both Mesa & Neal are on it. Mustelier is not and Martinez is on the DL.

Also, Mesa has at least been mentioned in one possible trade, so putting him on waivers almost certainly means losing him.
    Fair enough. I didn't realize Martinez was on the DL and I can't possibly imagine why another team would want Mesa.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkl View Post
    Girardi could only throw a line up using what he has available. Not defending him, just stating the obvious reason for this under performing team.
    Look at our lineup. How on earth can anyone think this team is underperforming?

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    Mesa has almost 100 strikeouts this season in less than 250 ABs and only 7 walks. At least he's young

Would be nice if we had ready position player prospects. Someone should be blamed for our AAA roster. I would have to think it's one of the worse in the game
    Our minor league system is why we had to sign all these retreads. And as for Girardi, the only reason he should leave is if it is his choice. I think he should be AL manager of the year for the job he has done with this mess.

NYYF Triple Crown

Hey look at that you don't resign good players. Bring in sh!tty veterans and the team can't score runs. Shocking! I wish Selig could force this garbage ownership to sell, can god damn Randy Levine go away?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9myYc8Pn8o

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    No, it's a "Polish L." Sounds sort of like English "w": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81

Can't wait to see him in pinstripes. Judging by this picture, he has two heads, and three arms and three legs. Maybe HE can hit a baseball.

Artur Strzałka, baseballista z Rybnika zagra w New York Yankees!
    I admire tthe Yankees' open-mindedness in signing a conjoined twin, but unless there are significant rule changes, the gamble seems doomed to failure. Artur's brother appears to be a ballplayer, but did the Yankees sign him as well? If they didn't, then every time Artur pitches, there will be a non-player on the field, which is clearly not allowed. If they did, then when Artur pitches, his brother will have to be playing some other position - but he could obviously play it in name only, without being able to cover it at all.

Would the brother be able to come to bat in a DH league, using the shared parts of their body?

And while Artur may have been effective against low-level Polish competition, it's hard to imagine how he could develop sound pitching mechanics with another person attached to his left side.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Our minor league system is why we had to sign all these retreads. And as for Girardi, the only reason he should leave is if it is his choice. I think he should be AL manager of the year for the job he has done with this mess.
    And adding injury-prone players and retreads to an already, declining, aging, injury-prone team. Pretty much in a nutshell.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I admire tthe Yankees' open-mindedness in signing a conjoined twin, but unless there are significant rule changes, the gamble seems doomed to failure. Artur's brother appears to be a ballplayer, but did the Yankees sign him as well? If they didn't, then every time Artur pitches, there will be a non-player on the field, which is clearly not allowed. If they did, then when Artur pitches, his brother will have to be playing some other position - but he could obviously play it in name only, without being able to cover it at all.

Would the brother be able to come to bat in a DH league, using the shared parts of their body?

And while Artur may have been effective against low-level Polish competition, it's hard to imagine how he could develop sound pitching mechanics with another person attached to his left side.
    Thanks, best laugh I've had since the last time the Yankees won a ball game ...

... which was a while back now.

I can't stand that Hafner is still on this team. He's hitting under .220 in the middle of the order and can't play a position and there is no way he'll back next year. Get rid of him and hope some minor leaguer or maybe a trade can match that

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    I can't stand that Hafner is still on this team. He's hitting under .220 in the middle of the order and can't play a position and there is no way he'll back next year. Get rid of him and hope some minor leaguer or maybe a trade can match that
    His splits aren't even good. He's got a .725OPS against RHP.

Veterans get this ridiculously long leash with the Yankees for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    His splits aren't even good. He's got a .725OPS against RHP.

Veterans get this ridiculously long leash with the Yankees for some reason.
    To make it even worse, while his $2M base salary is a sunk cost, he's continuing to pile up "performance" bonuses on top of that. He's got 280 PA, earning him $1M in bonuses so far; at 290 and every 15 PA after that, he gets another $125K. So releasing him and adding an MLB minimum salary wouldn't even really cost them anything.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I wanted us to cut bait with Hafner back when Tex came off the DL. If (knock on wood) we get both Granderson and A-Rod back he has to be a goner

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    I wanted us to cut bait with Hafner back when Tex came off the DL. If (knock on wood) we get both Granderson and A-Rod back he has to be a goner
    There's a long list of bait to be cut. As bad as Hafner has been, I'm not sure he's in the top three.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    There's a long list of bait to be cut. As bad as Hafner has been, I'm not sure he's in the top three.
    Who might they be?
    The other top 3.
    Just interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Who might they be?
    The other top 3.
    Just interested.
    Snow Wells and the seven third basemen.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

They've been pretty Grimm all right!

As horrible as Wells has been, I'd still keep him over Hafner. Pronk's hitting .177/.259/.304 in 201 PA since 5/1 - not quite as awful as Wells, but so bad that it doesn't make much difference. And Wells's ability to be awful at all sorts of positions makes him a more useful bit of futility. The Yankees have reached the point where sometimes they just need a body to put in the field. (Remember, Wells is one of the seven third basemen.)
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

As horrible as Wells has been, I'd still keep him over Hafner. Pronk's hitting .177/.259/.304 in 201 PA since 5/1 - not quite as awful as Wells, but so bad that it doesn't make much difference. And Wells's ability to be awful at all sorts of positions makes him a more useful bit of futility. The Yankees have reached the point where sometimes they just need a body to put in the field. (Remember, Wells is one of the seven third basemen.)
    As left handed as this team is at the plate, I would keep Wells over Hafner for that reason alone.

In addition, he has played 2B and worked out at 1B, so he does provide utility as far as being a bench/defensive replacement.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

With A-Rod and Granderson back, I was thinking in terms of who I'd want to pinch hit off the bench and serve as an occasional DH. I think I'd still take Hafner over Wells, although there's no doubt that Wells is more versatile.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

With A-Rod and Granderson back, I was thinking in terms of who I'd want to pinch hit off the bench and serve as an occasional DH. I think I'd still take Hafner over Wells, although there's no doubt that Wells is more versatile.
    At this point, I think both are useless for actually hitting. I'll take the pinch-hitter who can go out in the field after he pops out weakly.

Obviously, I'd prefer someone who actually play baseball. But the Yankees are really short on those guys.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

More on the Seven Dwarfs, I mean Third Basemen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/sp...heyre-not.html

Thread Information