+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 189 FirstFirst ... 35 75 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 95 135 185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4717
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

The Yankees had three out of five regular season games go extra innings for the first time since September 10, 2010 at Texas; September 13, 2010 at Tampa Bay; and September 14, 2010 at Tampa Bay.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Great news! No Yankee fan that was around to see it will ever forget his last game in pinstripes.
    Any news on the date for a Hideki Matsui Day to honor him yet?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    Any news on the date for a Hideki Matsui Day to honor him yet?
    I would guess the same day the Yankees are giving out Matsui bobbleheads.

NYYF Legend

Yesterday's game was one of the best games I've seen in a long time.
    I love to watch the Yankees but that game stands out in my mind.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I would guess the same day the Yankees are giving out Matsui bobbleheads.
    Which is July 28.

There's a thread about it here:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...-One-More-Time

The date doesn't seem to be official yet, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be on the date of the bobblehead giveaway.

NYYF Legend

15m Jack Curry @JackCurryYES
    Yanks activate David Huff and DFA Ben Francisco.
    Everyone happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Everyone happy now?
    Cannot contain my excitement.

*Looks down at finance textbook*

Well that was short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    -tz

You'd don't get it. The reason that Ben Francisco is still on this team is that he is the only position player on the roster not to report some sort of an injury.

The Yankees are keeping him around for continuity sake - if he gets an injury and gets DL'd, he just becomes another statistic.

LTYF
    Ben is gone. Finally.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Ben is gone. Finally.
    Go figure. I thought he was going to be our one continuity player this season that we could count on for being on the bench the entire season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Everyone happy now?
    Conflicted. Glad he's gone but why in the world did we need to sign Huff? Is Rapada still hurt?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Conflicted. Glad he's gone but why in the world did we need to sign Huff? Is Rapada still hurt?
    With Joba and Tex due back soon I think Huff's stay on the active roster will be very short lived. I think the Yankees figure they might have use for a second lefty in the next couple games before they'd need a 5th OF.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    With Joba and Tex due back soon I think Huff's stay on the active roster will be very short lived. I think the Yankees figure they might have use for a second lefty in the next couple games before they'd need a 5th OF.
    Do we really need to carry 13 pitchers?

Right now, we essentially have only 11 players who can play the field, as Hafner is only a DH.

I don't see that Huff adds to the mix on this bullpen, so I really question the wisdom of this move. If Huff only stays a few days on the roster, what has this team accomplished?

Do we really need to carry 13 pitchers?

Right now, we essentially have only 11 players who can play the field, as Hafner is only a DH.

I don't see that Huff adds to the mix on this bullpen, so I really question the wisdom of this move. If Huff only stays a few days on the roster, what has this team accomplished?
    He'll be gone in no time, and replaced by Rapada if/when they can afford to carry a LOOGY. I agree though in that they may not have room to carry one.

It's not so much what they accomplished, it's that the only corresponding move they had to make was cutting Francisco, which was a foregone conclusion anyway.

NYYF Legend

Once Pettitte returns they might keep Nuno in the bullpen. That would also give them 2 LHPs in the pen.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He'll be gone in no time, and replaced by Rapada if/when they can afford to carry a LOOGY. I agree though in that they may not have room to carry one.

It's not so much what they accomplished, it's that the only corresponding move they had to make was cutting Francisco, which was a foregone conclusion anyway.
    Except that adding Huff resulted in both Ronson AND Francisco being DFA'd - Ronson for the 40-man spot and Francisco for the 25-man spot.

As far as needing a LOOGY, isn't that Logan's role on this team? How many LOOGY's can a team afford to carry?

Except that adding Huff resulted in both Ronson AND Francisco being DFA'd - Ronson for the 40-man spot and Francisco for the 25-man spot.

As far as needing a LOOGY, isn't that Logan's role on this team? How many LOOGY's can a team afford to carry?
    No, Logan is not a LOOGY. While he does have better splits against LHB, he's pretty effective against both. Girardi sometimes tries to use him as a LOOGY unfortunately.

I'm not real familiar with Rondon, but looks to me like he's not a big loss. The Yankees have had a few moves like this bite them in the last few years (Quintana, Axford are two examples) but Rondon is a 25 year old that has gotten hit around in AA, has a 5.5 (and climbing) BB/9 and a declining K/9, lost a bunch of time to injury... Perhaps someone with more in depth knowledge of his stuff/ceiling can weigh in, but from what is readily available it doesn't seem like a huge roll of the dice.

I don't really get the Huff move either (sucks against LHB and RHB), but not too worried about it. When do we find out if anyone claimed Rondon?

Rondon isn't a big loss overall but he does have good stuff. He has the potential to be a pretty effective reliever & I'd prefer that they hung onto him instead of making the move for a guy like Huff at Rondon's expense.

There is more reward with Rondon as opposed to Huff.

NYYF Legend

It's a few weeks away yet but I think the LOOGY they may be bringing up would be Cesar Cabral.
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...4642&oid=36019
    Cesar Cabral, who missed all of last year with a fractured elbow after being a Rule 5 draftee in 2012, began his 30-day rehab assignment at Class A Tampa on May 14, and through Wednesday, he had made three appearances. Barring a setback, his rehab clock expires June 12, and because of his Rule 5 status, he must either be activated to the 25-man roster or placed on waivers come June 13.

Not a big fan of the LOOG concept personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Rondon isn't a big loss overall but he does have good stuff. He has the potential to be a pretty effective reliever & I'd prefer that they hung onto him instead of making the move for a guy like Huff at Rondon's expense.

There is more reward with Rondon as opposed to Huff.
    Can't argue with that, especially with someone who follows the minor leaguers more than I do. Did he get claimed by anyone? If not, no loss right?

NYYF Triple Crown

The Yankees now have 39 men on the 40 man roster but Teixeira will make 40 soon.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=nyy says Huff is a pitcher who is a switch-hitter. Before him who was the last Yankees pitcher to be a switch-hitter? Does anybody know if the Yankees ever had a roster where their only switch-hitter(s) were pitchers before now?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The Yankees now have 39 men on the 40 man roster but Teixeira will make 40 soon.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=nyy says Huff is a pitcher who is a switch-hitter. Before him who was the last Yankees pitcher to be a switch-hitter? Does anybody know if the Yankees ever had a roster where their only switch-hitter(s) were pitchers before now?
    The last switch-hitting pitcher for the Yankees was some guy named Steve Garrison, who apparently pitched 0.2 innings for them in 2011. Before Garrison - in reverse chronological order - were Anthony Claggett, Donovan Osborne, Brian Boehringer, Jim Mecir, Greg Harris, Lance McCullers, Charles Hudson and Pete Filson.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The last switch-hitting pitcher for the Yankees was some guy named Steve Garrison, who apparently pitched 0.2 innings for them in 2011. Before Garrison - in reverse chronological order - were Anthony Claggett, Donovan Osborne, Brian Boehringer, Jim Mecir, Greg Harris, Lance McCullers, Charles Hudson and Pete Filson.
    Did any of them get any hits batting from either side?

Did any of them get any hits batting from either side?
    The last switch-hitting pitcher to get so much as a plate appearance was Fred Beene on October 2, 1972. The last to get a hit was Fritz Peterson on September 12, 1972, presumably batting lefty against Luis Tiant - although perhaps not, because in 1972 he had two PA batting right-handed against an RHP (1 for 1 with a sac bunt and 3 RBI). Prior to that, on August 27, 1972, he had two hits against the Royals, against RHP Mike Hedlund and LHP Tom Burgmeier.

Peterson's career splits:
    As LHB v. RHP - 49 for 322, .152/.189/.177
    As RHB v. LHP - 32 for 192, .167/.214/.245

And, of course:
    As RHB v. RHP - 1 for 1, 1.000/1.000/1.000

Both of his career home runs, unsurprisingly, were hit as an LHB in Yankee Stadium.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thank you.
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ormance-Thread is Garrison's performance thread.

Thread Information