+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 189 FirstFirst ... 35 75 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 95 135 185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4717
  1. #2101
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    The Yankees had three out of five regular season games go extra innings for the first time since September 10, 2010 at Texas; September 13, 2010 at Tampa Bay; and September 14, 2010 at Tampa Bay.

  2. #2102
    Addicted Member
    YankeeSTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Section 420C

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Great news! No Yankee fan that was around to see it will ever forget his last game in pinstripes.
    Any news on the date for a Hideki Matsui Day to honor him yet?

  3. #2103
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    Any news on the date for a Hideki Matsui Day to honor him yet?
    I would guess the same day the Yankees are giving out Matsui bobbleheads.

  4. #2104
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Yesterday's game was one of the best games I've seen in a long time.
    I love to watch the Yankees but that game stands out in my mind.

  5. #2105
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I would guess the same day the Yankees are giving out Matsui bobbleheads.
    Which is July 28.

    There's a thread about it here:

    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...-One-More-Time

    The date doesn't seem to be official yet, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be on the date of the bobblehead giveaway.

  6. #2106
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    15m Jack Curry @JackCurryYES
    Yanks activate David Huff and DFA Ben Francisco.
    Everyone happy now?

  7. #2107
    Trade Bait Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Everyone happy now?
    Cannot contain my excitement.

    *Looks down at finance textbook*

    Well that was short lived.

  8. #2108
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    -tz

    You'd don't get it. The reason that Ben Francisco is still on this team is that he is the only position player on the roster not to report some sort of an injury.

    The Yankees are keeping him around for continuity sake - if he gets an injury and gets DL'd, he just becomes another statistic.

    LTYF
    Ben is gone. Finally.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  9. #2109
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Ben is gone. Finally.
    Go figure. I thought he was going to be our one continuity player this season that we could count on for being on the bench the entire season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  10. #2110
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Everyone happy now?
    Conflicted. Glad he's gone but why in the world did we need to sign Huff? Is Rapada still hurt?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  11. #2111

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Conflicted. Glad he's gone but why in the world did we need to sign Huff? Is Rapada still hurt?
    With Joba and Tex due back soon I think Huff's stay on the active roster will be very short lived. I think the Yankees figure they might have use for a second lefty in the next couple games before they'd need a 5th OF.

  12. #2112
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    With Joba and Tex due back soon I think Huff's stay on the active roster will be very short lived. I think the Yankees figure they might have use for a second lefty in the next couple games before they'd need a 5th OF.
    Do we really need to carry 13 pitchers?

    Right now, we essentially have only 11 players who can play the field, as Hafner is only a DH.

    I don't see that Huff adds to the mix on this bullpen, so I really question the wisdom of this move. If Huff only stays a few days on the roster, what has this team accomplished?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  13. #2113
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Do we really need to carry 13 pitchers?

    Right now, we essentially have only 11 players who can play the field, as Hafner is only a DH.

    I don't see that Huff adds to the mix on this bullpen, so I really question the wisdom of this move. If Huff only stays a few days on the roster, what has this team accomplished?
    He'll be gone in no time, and replaced by Rapada if/when they can afford to carry a LOOGY. I agree though in that they may not have room to carry one.

    It's not so much what they accomplished, it's that the only corresponding move they had to make was cutting Francisco, which was a foregone conclusion anyway.

  14. #2114
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Once Pettitte returns they might keep Nuno in the bullpen. That would also give them 2 LHPs in the pen.

  15. #2115
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    He'll be gone in no time, and replaced by Rapada if/when they can afford to carry a LOOGY. I agree though in that they may not have room to carry one.

    It's not so much what they accomplished, it's that the only corresponding move they had to make was cutting Francisco, which was a foregone conclusion anyway.
    Except that adding Huff resulted in both Ronson AND Francisco being DFA'd - Ronson for the 40-man spot and Francisco for the 25-man spot.

    As far as needing a LOOGY, isn't that Logan's role on this team? How many LOOGY's can a team afford to carry?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  16. #2116
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Except that adding Huff resulted in both Ronson AND Francisco being DFA'd - Ronson for the 40-man spot and Francisco for the 25-man spot.

    As far as needing a LOOGY, isn't that Logan's role on this team? How many LOOGY's can a team afford to carry?
    No, Logan is not a LOOGY. While he does have better splits against LHB, he's pretty effective against both. Girardi sometimes tries to use him as a LOOGY unfortunately.

    I'm not real familiar with Rondon, but looks to me like he's not a big loss. The Yankees have had a few moves like this bite them in the last few years (Quintana, Axford are two examples) but Rondon is a 25 year old that has gotten hit around in AA, has a 5.5 (and climbing) BB/9 and a declining K/9, lost a bunch of time to injury... Perhaps someone with more in depth knowledge of his stuff/ceiling can weigh in, but from what is readily available it doesn't seem like a huge roll of the dice.

    I don't really get the Huff move either (sucks against LHB and RHB), but not too worried about it. When do we find out if anyone claimed Rondon?

  17. #2117

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Rondon isn't a big loss overall but he does have good stuff. He has the potential to be a pretty effective reliever & I'd prefer that they hung onto him instead of making the move for a guy like Huff at Rondon's expense.

    There is more reward with Rondon as opposed to Huff.

  18. #2118
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    It's a few weeks away yet but I think the LOOGY they may be bringing up would be Cesar Cabral.
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...4642&oid=36019
    Cesar Cabral, who missed all of last year with a fractured elbow after being a Rule 5 draftee in 2012, began his 30-day rehab assignment at Class A Tampa on May 14, and through Wednesday, he had made three appearances. Barring a setback, his rehab clock expires June 12, and because of his Rule 5 status, he must either be activated to the 25-man roster or placed on waivers come June 13.

  19. #2119

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Not a big fan of the LOOG concept personally.

  20. #2120
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Rondon isn't a big loss overall but he does have good stuff. He has the potential to be a pretty effective reliever & I'd prefer that they hung onto him instead of making the move for a guy like Huff at Rondon's expense.

    There is more reward with Rondon as opposed to Huff.
    Can't argue with that, especially with someone who follows the minor leaguers more than I do. Did he get claimed by anyone? If not, no loss right?

  21. #2121
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Except that adding Huff resulted in both Ronson AND Francisco being DFA'd - Ronson for the 40-man spot and Francisco for the 25-man spot.
    The Yankees now have 39 men on the 40 man roster but Teixeira will make 40 soon.

    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=nyy says Huff is a pitcher who is a switch-hitter. Before him who was the last Yankees pitcher to be a switch-hitter? Does anybody know if the Yankees ever had a roster where their only switch-hitter(s) were pitchers before now?

  22. #2122
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    The Yankees now have 39 men on the 40 man roster but Teixeira will make 40 soon.

    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=nyy says Huff is a pitcher who is a switch-hitter. Before him who was the last Yankees pitcher to be a switch-hitter? Does anybody know if the Yankees ever had a roster where their only switch-hitter(s) were pitchers before now?
    The last switch-hitting pitcher for the Yankees was some guy named Steve Garrison, who apparently pitched 0.2 innings for them in 2011. Before Garrison - in reverse chronological order - were Anthony Claggett, Donovan Osborne, Brian Boehringer, Jim Mecir, Greg Harris, Lance McCullers, Charles Hudson and Pete Filson.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  23. #2123
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The last switch-hitting pitcher for the Yankees was some guy named Steve Garrison, who apparently pitched 0.2 innings for them in 2011. Before Garrison - in reverse chronological order - were Anthony Claggett, Donovan Osborne, Brian Boehringer, Jim Mecir, Greg Harris, Lance McCullers, Charles Hudson and Pete Filson.
    Did any of them get any hits batting from either side?

  24. #2124
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Did any of them get any hits batting from either side?
    The last switch-hitting pitcher to get so much as a plate appearance was Fred Beene on October 2, 1972. The last to get a hit was Fritz Peterson on September 12, 1972, presumably batting lefty against Luis Tiant - although perhaps not, because in 1972 he had two PA batting right-handed against an RHP (1 for 1 with a sac bunt and 3 RBI). Prior to that, on August 27, 1972, he had two hits against the Royals, against RHP Mike Hedlund and LHP Tom Burgmeier.

    Peterson's career splits:
    As LHB v. RHP - 49 for 322, .152/.189/.177
    As RHB v. LHP - 32 for 192, .167/.214/.245

    And, of course:
    As RHB v. RHP - 1 for 1, 1.000/1.000/1.000

    Both of his career home runs, unsurprisingly, were hit as an LHB in Yankee Stadium.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  25. #2125
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The last switch-hitting pitcher for the Yankees was some guy named Steve Garrison, who apparently pitched 0.2 innings for them in 2011. Before Garrison - in reverse chronological order - were Anthony Claggett, Donovan Osborne, Brian Boehringer, Jim Mecir, Greg Harris, Lance McCullers, Charles Hudson and Pete Filson.
    Thank you.
    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ormance-Thread is Garrison's performance thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts