+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 189 FirstFirst ... 20 60 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 80 120 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 4717

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    Bring up Montgomery then dump Kelley when Joba comes back.
    I'd prefer they just dump Kelley now. Montgomery replaces Kelley (not saying he takes his garbage innings role, just his roster spot) & Claiborne fills in for Joba.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I agree with you but, they won't dump Kelley bc of his K rates. Doesn't he have an option left?

The real problem is that he is garbage inning pitcher like Warren and Nuno. Can't have 2 let alone 3 on the 25 man roster IMO.

Nuno could have value as the backup LOOGY, but it seems like their is an overkill on the same role.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I've never understood what people get out of trolling.
    Trolls. Didn't your father teach you the sport of trolling? It is a lot like fishing, only different.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    The real problem is that he is garbage inning pitcher like Warren and Nuno. Can't have 2 let alone 3 on the 25 man roster IMO.

Nuno could have value as the backup LOOGY, but it seems like their is an overkill on the same role.
    Should Warren or Nuno be given a chance to be the seventh inning pitcher?

The average team has 2.5 out of the Top 75 in career hits among active players. The Yankees have 9 of them although not one for each position because there's no catcher and only two outfielders. The players are Jeter, Rodriguez, Suzuki (the top three active players in career hits), Teixeira, Cano, Overbay, Granderson, Hafner, and Youkilis.

I agree with you but, they won't dump Kelley bc of his K rates. Doesn't he have an option left?

Nuno would be wasted as a LOOGY. Rapada should eventually be up (not sure why he was released to begin with -- he does his job as well as anyone).

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownYankee View Post
    Here is a list of our April opponents...and predictions on our record at the end of the month?

Red Sox
    Red Sox
    at Tigers
    at Tigers
    at Tigers
    at Indians
    at Indians
    at Indians
    at Indians
    Orioles
    Orioles
    Orioles
    D-backs
    D-backs
    D-backs
    at Blue Jays
    at Blue Jays
    at Blue Jays
    at Rays
    at Rays
    at Rays
    Blue Jays
    Blue Jays
    Blue Jays
    Blue Jays
    Astros
    Astros
    Astros
    I was wrong, I predicted 15 wins and 14 losses and the Yankees went 17 - 10 with 2 rainouts (including the May 1 Astros game). Going tonight, YAY!

Also, how about those Red Sox at 20 - 8?

I think in March most predictions for the AL East were for

1st - Toronto
    2nd - Tampa
    3rd - Baltimore
    4th - Yankees
    5th and last - Red Sox

What a topsy turvey April we had !!!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I was wrong, I predicted 15 wins and 14 losses and the Yankees went 17 - 10 with 2 rainouts (including the May 1 Astros game). Going tonight, YAY!

Also, how about those Red Sox at 20 - 8?

I think in March most predictions for the AL East were for

1st - Toronto
    2nd - Tampa
    3rd - Baltimore
    4th - Yankees
    5th and last - Red Sox

What a topsy turvey April we had !!!
    Actually, I am not surprised at all by the poor performance of the Blue Jays thus far. I just felt that they added SO MANY pieces too the team that they would have a difficult time getting this team to gel.

I am surprised by the Red Sox - although I had not written them off to finish dead last and falling away, I did think they would be middle of the pack.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Speaking as one of the few that defends Nunez sometimes, I'd like to see what Maruszak is capable of.

He is getting OB at a 410 clip in 80ish PA.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Actually, I am not surprised at all by the poor performance of the Blue Jays thus far. I just felt that they added SO MANY pieces too the team that they would have a difficult time getting this team to gel.

I am surprised by the Red Sox - although I had not written them off to finish dead last and falling away, I did think they would be middle of the pack.
    good point about adding so many new guys ! They really have an uphill battle to just get to .500 by the allstar break and likely fail at that

Speaking as one of the few that defends Nunez sometimes, I'd like to see what Maruszak is capable of.

He is getting OB at a 410 clip in 80ish PA.
    don't know anything about him but Nunez looks worse everytime I 'm able to see part of a game. Backups are backups because they ain't good enough to be everyday players !

If you can't field so good, then hit good. I really don't see much of either and wonder how he is a MLB player ?

I don't think it has much to do with how many players they added or the team "chemistry" or anything like that. The problem is that they added a bunch of overrated NL players, as well as having a lot of players who had career years in 2012. Reyes has an injury history. Melky... I don't know how he did what he did last year (or maybe we do). The Blue Jays lineup, outside of Bautista and Encarnacion, is packed with awful hitters. Rasmus (career .736 OPS), Aerncibia (.716), Izturis (.711), Bonifacio (.665), Rajai Davis (.695), Kawasaki (.508), Mekly (.746), Lawrie (.770)... There are just way too many "soft" hitters in that lineup.

Josh Johnson and Marke Buehrle are mediocre pitchers that were made to look better by pitching in the spacious Marlins ballpark last year:

Buehrle 2012 Home/Road ERA: 3.13/4.45
    Johnson 2012 Home/Road ERA: 2.96/4.94

Dickey had something of a fluky 2012 (obviously his career year), and was also helped by the pitcher-friendly Citi field and NL offenses.

JA Happ is a guy with a career 1.39 WHIP.

Morrow's 2.96 ERA last year was out of nowhere, after a 4.49 in 2010 and a 4.72 in 2011. And he only threw 124 innings last year.

This all adds up to a collection of players that were signed/acquired based on a statistically over-achieving 2012 fluke year, the pitching benefits of the NL, and home-park advantages that don't exist in Toronto. And the rest of the roster is filled out by a bunch of career .700 OPS guys.

I'm still trying to figure out (even WITH Reyes) why this team got so much hype. They might be better than what they're showing right now, but they were never stacked. Not if you look beneath the surface of the numbers the players put up in 2012.

The Yankees are now 28-9 in games following shutout losses since the start of the 2008 season, winning 11 of the last 13 such contests.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    The Yankees are now 28-9 in games following shutout losses since the start of the 2008 season, winning 11 of the last 13 such contests.
    The next time the Yanks are shut out, I'm hopping on the first plane to Vegas and betting my house and everything else I own that they'll win the next game.

If I win, I'll retire early.

If I lose......I'll be looking into your profile....
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Give it time.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    That is not something you'd want to gamble on. The main problem is the high variance with a small sample size. You are also going back 5 years to achieve such a small sample. You could come up with all kinds of useless data like this if you mine for it.

You don't even include the odds on these games, the Yanks might have been -200 in a lot of those games, they are rarely the dog in most games.

How do you go from posts like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    good point about adding so many new guys ! They really have an uphill battle to just get to .500 by the allstar break and likely fail at that
    don't know anything about him but Nunez looks worse everytime I 'm able to see part of a game. Backups are backups because they ain't good enough to be everyday players !

If you can't field so good, then hit good. I really don't see much of either and wonder how he is a MLB player ?
    Joba has always been worthless, put him on the 600 day injured list !
    Where there are typos, punctuation errors, grammatical mistakes, lack of capitalization, lack of statistical data, to this:

That is not something you'd want to gamble on. The main problem is the high variance with a small sample size. You are also going back 5 years to achieve such a small sample. You could come up with all kinds of useless data like this if you mine for it.

You don't even include the odds on these games, the Yanks might have been -200 in a lot of those games, they are rarely the dog in most games.
    Where you're using all those things expertly, in addition to talking about variance, small sample size, data mining, Vegas odds...

I feel like we're being trolled by a pro.

"Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 4m
    Girardi said Granderson is getting reps in LF/RF in Tampa and made sound like Gardner will stay in CF, but not definitive. #Yankees
    "

There is hope.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Is Romine ever getting into another game again?

I understand not pairing him w/ Andy again, but......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Girardi said Granderson is getting reps in LF/RF in Tampa and made sound like Gardner will stay in CF, but not definitive. #Yankees
    "

There is hope.......
    This NEEDS to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Girardi said Granderson is getting reps in LF/RF in Tampa and made sound like Gardner will stay in CF, but not definitive. #Yankees"

There is hope.......
    I refuse to believe it's more than just a glimmer, but yes, it's at least some hope. C'mon yankees, do the smart thing here.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I refuse to believe it's more than just a glimmer, but yes, it's at least some hope. C'mon yankees, do the smart thing here.
    I have my doubts that the Yankees would put the negro in left field.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees9000 View Post
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by yankees9000 View Post
    You're an ignorant douchebag.

Hey, leave yankees9000 alone guys. He clearly just stepped out of the time machine. Give him some time to acclimate to the post-WW2 world he's just arrived in.

NYYF Legend

I know it won't happen but I would like to see them call up Rapada and Montgomery and get rid of Kelley and Logan.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information