+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 189 FirstFirst ... 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4717

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I'm not so sure that with this current crop of players that the offense will get better. To me, the only chance for it to get better is for the injured players to return and who knows when that will happen.
    If Wells and Youkilis can keep hitting, there's no reason the offense can't be above average, if not better. Hafner is no slouch, and might thrive at YS. Ichiro and Gardner could both bat .300 and take advantage of the short porch once in a while. Cervelli is a .272 hitter in the majors, and could be better entering his prime. Nunez is hitting. There are a lot of guys who don't strike out a lot historically in the lineup. Cano needs to start hitting. He's done nothing.

I want to see what this offense does when the starters go 6-7 innings and don't give up multiple runs early in the game.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    I take umbrage to that. there is nothing wrong with an "gluttonous" fan base. It's what makes a good fan imo. someone that is just resigned to his fandom without any expectation or demand for the franchise is a poor and basically absentee shareholder. It's part of the public trust between teams and fans that a team must do whatever is in its power to win and compete. In that end they will earn fans' appreciation. That part should never just be given or submitted without stipulations.

agree completely about the management tho, it's been horrendous and downright atrocious.
    Tend to agree with this. I understand optimism, and I understand that some of the members here are eternal optimists regardless of what the makeup of the roster is. But trashing the fan base who happens not to feel as optimistic about what we have here, and may in fact be critical of what they're seeing, is no more honorable than those being criticized for their disappointment in what's happening to this team.

Also agree about the management part though.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Triple Crown

The offense isn't going to be good with this lineup. It might be average. That will be enough if the starting pitchers turn up and the offense gets a jolt when Granderson, Tex, et. al. make decent returns.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    If Wells and Youkilis can keep hitting, there's no reason the offense can't be above average, if not better. Hafner is no slouch, and might thrive at YS. Ichiro and Gardner could both bat .300 and take advantage of the short porch once in a while. Cervelli is a .272 hitter in the majors, and could be better entering his prime. Nunez is hitting. There are a lot of guys who don't strike out a lot historically in the lineup. Cano needs to start hitting. He's done nothing.

I want to see what this offense does when the starters go 6-7 innings and don't give up multiple runs early in the game.
    Youkilis, maybe. But if we're expecting Vernon Wells to actually be good, well, we've got some problems. But overall, this is wildly optimistic. I think I'm more optimistic this year than most, but it's all because of pitching. Ichiro is not good anymore. Years prove this. Even if he miraculously hits .300, who cares? That's means his obp is around .320 with no power. Cervelli is below average. This offense stinks. And not a little. It just stinks. We've got Cano and basically nothing else. Yes, certain players can get hot for a bit, but as presently constituted, this is a far below average lineup. But this will happen when most of your starters are hurt. When folks start coming back, it won't be one the lineups we've gotten used to, but it'll be above average. And that's all we need with this group of starting pitchers, I think.

It's all about the pitching right now.

NYYF Triple Crown

Also, Hughes was scratched from his rehab start and is going to be activated for tomorrow's game according to all the writers on Twitter. Phelps will move to the pen.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    Also, Hughes was scratched from his rehab start and is going to be activated for tomorrow's game according to all the writers on Twitter. Phelps will move to the pen.
    Interesting. I was wondering if Phelps was going to pitch well and potentially put pressure on Nova
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Phelps will get his chance soon anyway if Nova does not quickly get his act together. Nova was very bad today and has been bad since the ASB last year. Nova is putting pressure on himself.

NYYF Cy Young

Wonder how good Hughes will be now, against that lineup and without the rehab start. Maybe they should let Phelps pitch and put Hughes in the pen? (Not that they would)

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Phelps will get his chance soon anyway if Nova does not quickly get his act together. Nova was very bad today and has been bad since the ASB last year. Nova is putting pressure on himself.
    Maybe there's an opportunity to deal Nova. Based on his past success, prior to going south after last year's ASB, there's gotta be a team or two that would love to get their hands on him and fix whatever's wrong. There might be some value here, perhaps for a young hitter with some ceiling, and just let Phelps have his spot once and for all. I'd like to see Phelps get a shot more than I'd like to see if Nova can turn it around.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Nova's been bad now for over a year save for that pretty good June. Unless he gets his fastball fixed he's not going to have success.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Triple Crown

Pettitte entered the Top 50 in career wins yesterday. He's tied for 49th, 50th, and 51st. Ichiro needs 1 stolen base to enter the career Top 50 by tying Curt Welch for 50th. Welch died in 1896.

Who's getting sent down to make room for Hughes?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Who's getting sent down to make room for Hughes?
    If Phelps goes back to long man, shouldn't it be Warren?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If Phelps goes back to long man, shouldn't it be Warren?
    I guess so, if they want him getting starts in AAA.

Having two potential longmen wouldn't be the worst thing right now though, and he looked good in relief of Kuroda. He's spent two full seasons at AAA already and doesn't have anything left to accomplish there, unless they think we're going to need him up in the rotation at some point....

Eppley meanwhile blew that game for us. I'm still not sure why he made the team in the first place.

It does seem like a shame to send down Warren. He looked good against the Red Sox and I think he deserves a chance to stick.

its really stupid to put Phelps in the pen. That is all.

One positive this season is that Youkilis has been hitting the ball nicely. If him and Wells can hit decently, and if Cano ever decides to wake up this year (killing my favorite team and my fantasy team), then maybe we could keep our head above water until Jeter, Teixeira, and Granderson come back.

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think you know what 'fraud' means.

I guess his 112 OPS+ last season while he was hurt was fraudulent.

It was really an 85 OPS+ but Cashman cooked the books or something.
    We have absolutely no idea, at this point, how much of any of his performance in pinstripes was chemically enhanced, and never will. That's what I meant. I'm assuming that going forward he doesn't have that option since few players are as stupid as Manny. We will see if he believes he's even capable of playing decently now, although I still think there's a chance management makes some attempt to prevent this even happening. I don't think they can prevent it, but I'm 99% sure they are exploring every option to accomplish that.

It would be great to see Hughes pitch well today and for CC to defeat Verlander tomorrow. Is that asking for too much?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    It would be great to see Hughes pitch well today and for CC to defeat Verlander tomorrow. Is that asking for too much?
    Probably.

But as the lottery people say, Hey, you never know.

maybe Hughes will finally redeem himself and live up to the high billing and expectations that many fans bestowed on him.

NYYF Legend

So far Phil has pitched pretty well at Comerica Park, CC, not so well.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    its really stupid to put Phelps in the pen. That is all.
    Agree. I disagree with starting Hughes today (I hope he does well - I need some encouragement) and would have him do the rehab as planned with Phelps starting. Don't think this was a wise move. You can't decide on single A game (Hughes). I really don't like Kelley in our pen (or Logan) and can't believe we don't have another arm better in our farm system.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

With how funny baseball can be watch us lose today and shell Verlander tomorrow.

Smh, why is Ichiro not in the lineup but Wells is? Does Wells have good numbers off of Scherzer?

Brett Gardner CF
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Kevin Youkilis 3B
    Travis Hafner DH
    Vernon Wells LF
    Brennan Boesch RF
    Francisco Cervelli C
    Lyle Overbay 1B
    Jayson Nix SS

RHP Phil Hughes

Thread Information