+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 189 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 88 138 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Out of respect for teknetic, I will not repost the actual lineup.

I didn't say having those three lefties at the top of the order was a bad idea, just that Girardi would never, ever do it. My prediction is that Wells or Francisco bats second, with Gardner batting ninth. I could even see him batting Nix there, using the old 1960's "bat control" criterion.

The one thing I don't think he'll do is put three lefties together.
    Actually, if I am correct, he would also be putting six righties in a row as well, so you probably have a point.

Actually, I was going to suggest that Wells move up to the #2 spot - real question, however: Ichiro or Gardner to lead off.

Regardless, opening day can't get here soon enough. Section 308, Row 1 will be rocking.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Actually, if I am correct, he would also be putting six righties in a row as well, so you probably have a point.

Actually, I was going to suggest that Wells move up to the #2 spot - real question, however: Ichiro or Gardner to lead off.

Regardless, opening day can't get here soon enough. Section 308, Row 1 will be rocking.
    That near the creatures?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Nice game today.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    That near the creatures?
    Section 308 will be above the creatures. Essentially it is in the 3rd deck in the RF corner looking at the LF corner.

More importantly, I will be in row 1 with my daughter for my first ever opening day.

Last year, it was my first ever old timers game and first ever playoff game. This year, I am ticking opening day off as well.

I am on a roll.

For what it's worth, I was at today's exhibition game in DC, and the Yankees looked good. Both the Yankees and Nationals were playing essentially their starting lineups till about the 7th, so it was a real competition (though of course with low sakes). Andy Pettitte was sharp against a really tough Nationals lineup. Mariano was great, made the Nats look silly (side note: the Nationals played a video tribute to Mariano's great career before the game, which was bizarre but awesome). Youkilis played well in the field and at the plate, and Nunez showed some real pop and some really smart baserunning (a SB, and, more importantly, cleverly scoring from 3rd while Chris Stewart got caught in a pickoff and the Nationals were distracted). Encouraging signs all around.

Girardi also started the lineup with 3 consecutive lefties-- Gardner, Ichiro, Cano. I hope he sticks with that at least until the middle of our order comes off the DL. Screw L/R matchups, those three know how to produce and I think having them back-to-back-to-back will help spur run production.

Excited for opening day!!

Now that the decisions are leaking out, can someone please post the 25 man roster.

Thanks in advance.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Addicted Member

I thought about batting Youkilis second but, if I remember correctly, Ichiro hits lefties even better than righties so he basically is like a righty batting second.

I am ready for real baseball. I also want to go on record that I expect the Yankee to make the playoffs and have a decent chance to win #28. Love the pitching and think that speed, a little small ball and a fair amount of long balls will pull us through. My goal as usual, is to watch or at least listen to 162 games (usually I make at least 158). Can't wait for Monday!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    For what it's worth, I was at today's exhibition game in DC, and the Yankees looked good. Both the Yankees and Nationals were playing essentially their starting lineups till about the 7th, so it was a real competition (though of course with low sakes). Andy Pettitte was sharp against a really tough Nationals lineup. Mariano was great, made the Nats look silly (side note: the Nationals played a video tribute to Mariano's great career before the game, which was bizarre but awesome). Youkilis played well in the field and at the plate, and Nunez showed some real pop and some really smart baserunning (a SB, and, more importantly, cleverly scoring from 3rd while Chris Stewart got caught in a pickoff and the Nationals were distracted). Encouraging signs all around.

Girardi also started the lineup with 3 consecutive lefties-- Gardner, Ichiro, Cano. I hope he sticks with that at least until the middle of our order comes off the DL. Screw L/R matchups, those three know how to produce and I think having them back-to-back-to-back will help spur run production.

Excited for opening day!!
    I was at the game as well and had the same reaction. Just a well play game by the Yanks all around. I hope it carries over into next week. Maybe they'll play with a little chip on their shoulder since the media is all but writing them off.

On a side note, I thought the tribute to Mo before the game was a real classy gesture.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Fan View Post
    I am ready for real baseball. I also want to go on record that I expect the Yankee to make the playoffs and have a decent chance to win #28. Love the pitching and think that speed, a little small ball and a fair amount of long balls will pull us through. My goal as usual, is to watch or at least listen to 162 games (usually I make at least 158). Can't wait for Monday!
    At least 158! That is impressive. How long have you been doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    More importantly, I will be in row 1 with my daughter for my first ever opening day.
    That is special. Hope you and your daughter have a memorable time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Too bad about Aardsma. Maybe they thought he could not give them length.

I can't judge where he is as a pitcher, but he sure was active on twitter and seemed like a relatively bright guy for a ball player.
    Aardsma tweeted:

TheDA53 It's disappointing to not be a Yankee. Congrats to all the guys that made the team, I think they will do something special this year...

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Aardsma tweeted:
    Aardsma has a comma splice in that tweet.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Does anyone know exactly what day we plan on DL'ing Jeter?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Now that the decisions are leaking out, can someone please post the 25 man roster.

Thanks in advance.
    It's a whole lot of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    At least 158! That is impressive. How long have you been doing that?
    About 5 years since I retired, but I have always made every attempt to watch or at least listen to the games. I often catch the encore when I play golf or have an important family function. I have been dedicated to the games for about 50 years. I would love to know how many I have watched. Some would say that I have wasted much of my life. I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Fan View Post
    About 5 years since I retired, but I have always made every attempt to watch or at least listen to the games. I often catch the encore when I play golf or have an important family function. I have been dedicated to the games for about 50 years. I would love to know how many I have watched. Some would say that I have wasted much of my life. I think not!
    I've been watching for about 32 years...I'm thinking I've wathced/heard at least part of 3500 games now. Some lost years in college in the early 1990's where I probably only really saw 20 to 40 games when I wasn't in the NYC area most of the time...

I esimate I've been to about 150 games at some version of Yankee Stadium. One game at Yankee Stadium I, which I was too young to remember, but it was the last game there pre-renovation. And five or six at the new one (though three times in corporate suites, which to me barely counts as it might as well be in a bar in midtown). And the rest at YS II.

My confession is that I've probably been to over 80 games at Fenway Park as I lived for 11 years within walking distance to it....(though nearly half of those 80 games were to see Yankee games I would estimate...)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Aardsma has a comma splice in that tweet.
    What do you want, the man was under duress.

Ken Davidoff is reporting that the Yankees payroll is now at $229mm this year.

That is an almost a mind blowing number and exceeds their previous record by over $20 million. They've even left the Dodgers in the dust, with a paltry $216mm.

Still not convinced that this team is willing to spend money on its payroll though. It's like the Steinbrenner family is just stuffing its pockets with cash and doesn't care about investing in the team.

Haven't posted much this Spring Training, been busy with school, work, and stuff at home, but as much as I'm glad for baseball to be back Monday, the start we have waiting for us is nothing short of frustrating.

Just beating a dead horse, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Ken Davidoff is reporting that the Yankees payroll is now at $229mm this year.

That is an almost a mind blowing number and exceeds their previous record by over $20 million. They've even left the Dodgers in the dust, with a paltry $216mm.

This is just ridiculous. Look how (comparatively) little they're getting for all that. I'm really disappointed they're pricier than the Dodgers, too. I was really really looking forward to having the Yankees NOT have the highest payroll. I know I sound silly, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter...they're still a disproportionately wealthy team, and people will still give us fans a hard time for that...but being second-richest seemed like a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    This is just ridiculous. Look how (comparatively) little they're getting for all that. I'm really disappointed they're pricier than the Dodgers, too. I was really really looking forward to having the Yankees NOT have the highest payroll. I know I sound silly, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter...they're still a disproportionately wealthy team, and people will still give us fans a hard time for that...but being second-richest seemed like a step in the right direction.
    When you're spending 11 mil or whatever on the corpse of Vernon Wells, you're going to have a real trashy 200 million dollar team. It would probably look a lot different if they weren't operating under their 2014 austerity rules.

NYYF Legend

also doesn't help that they're paying for two 3rd basemen, neither of which is a guarantee to actually play out the whole year
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    That is special. Hope you and your daughter have a memorable time.
    ARodEra - she's 30 and I love her, but for this one day we are on the opposite sides of the fence.

I was raised in northern VT and was the only NYY fan in a family of BRS fans - you can imagine what I had to put up with in the mid/late 60's.

Stacy was born in eastern CT and my oldest brother is her godfather. Before the age of six, she had been to at least a dozen games at Fenway Park (with me in attendance), sitting in the RF bleachers. [sidebar - I always enjoyed those games in Fenway. The fans, at that time, were not as fanatical as they are now and we could just have fun, then leave at the end of the game as friends].

When I saw that this year's Opening Day was against the Red Sox, I was determined to go. I paid well over list in the YTE, but I really don't care - it's opening day and I am thrilled to be going.

We (Stacy & I) will also be going to the opening series in Citizens Bank Park. In fifth grade, she followed the KC Royals to learn statistics and has been a fan of their since then. We have our KC paraphernalia to wear to the game and, frankly, I expect her to be treated better in Yankee Stadium wearing her Red Sox stuff than we will be treated in CBP (I have been there before in opposing paraphernalia and those fans can be brutal).

Anyway, thanks for the best wishes - I will be thinking of this forum during the game. Maybe I should see if I can get on the game thread from NYS - hmmmmm

LTYF

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I've been watching for about 32 years...I'm thinking I've wathced/heard at least part of 3500 games now. Some lost years in college in the early 1990's where I probably only really saw 20 to 40 games when I wasn't in the NYC area most of the time...

I esimate I've been to about 150 games at some version of Yankee Stadium. One game at Yankee Stadium I, which I was too young to remember, but it was the last game there pre-renovation. And five or six at the new one (though three times in corporate suites, which to me barely counts as it might as well be in a bar in midtown). And the rest at YS II.

My confession is that I've probably been to over 80 games at Fenway Park as I lived for 11 years within walking distance to it....(though nearly half of those 80 games were to see Yankee games I would estimate...)
    I can't possibly tell you how many Yankee games I have watched or listened to, but I can tell you the most memorable - the 1977 World Series.

I was stationed with the US Navy in Keflavik, Iceland. I would set my alarm clock for 2A and wake up to listen to the game broadcast live on AFRTS (affectionately known by its acronym with an A between the F and the R).

Years later, I got to meet Sparky Lyle and thanked him specifically for that World Series championship.

Thread Information