+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 189 FirstFirst ... 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 83 133 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I haven't followed Spring training at all. Is he throwing now?
    I think he may be up to throwing BP but I haven't followed that closely myself.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Another Pineda question if anyone can answer: What's the word on his making a full recovery and pitching as he did prior to the injury? Based on how he's throwing during rehab, are the docs/Yanks confident it will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Another Pineda question if anyone can answer: What's the word on his making a full recovery and pitching as he did prior to the injury? Based on how he's throwing during rehab, are the docs/Yanks confident it will happen?
    If he rehabs correctly. I think it's so much of an unknown that they don't really know. I think he's a few weeks from doing a rehab minor league start.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    What, exactly, was he going to do that makes this such a travesty?
    He would have be at least a young bat off the bench at some point this season or next. Down the line maybe develops into a solid role player or at least a decent one. The Yankees could have released Eppley. He's a fringe relief arm and over the yrs they have done a fine job finding guys like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    He would have be at least a young bat off the bench at some point this season or next. Down the line maybe develops into a solid role player or at least a decent one. The Yankees could have released Eppley. He's a fringe relief arm and over the yrs they have done a fine job finding guys like that.
    Young bat=/=good bat.

the adams thing is so absurd the only explanation of it even happening would be that the yankees knew something about his back injury and thought they could drop an injured player over someone potentially useful, even if that potential is low.

it's a short term focused decision, a bit reflexive, but the injury thing is the unknown
    always reasonable

Released Outright

David Adams was pretty much crap and not much to be crying over tbh.

Young bat=/=good bat.
    No but I'd rather have him on the team and see what he can do than watch a bunch of retreads flame out.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    not crap at all.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    not crap at all.
    Oh c'mon--he's no Russell Martin.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Young bat=/=good bat.
    Sure, but older does not necessarily = better, either

Here's Axisa's write up, when he placed him 18th on the Yankees preseason prospects:

The ankle injury suffered in May 2010 still haunts Adams today. The Yankees kept their 2008 third round pick on a strict four days on, one day off regiment in 2012, and one of those four days on was at DH. Adams played just three games in April before suffering a neck injury that kept him on the shelf until mid-May, but he stayed healthy after that and even headed to the Arizona Fall League after the season. Listed a 6-foot-1 and 205 lbs., he put together a .306/.385/.450 (130 wRC+) line with strong walk (9.9%) and strikeout (13.8%) rates in 383 plate appearances for Double-A Trenton in 2012 after playing just 29 games in 2010 and 2011 combined. Adams is quick to the ball from the right side and shows good power, mostly into the gaps. He has a plan at the plate and arguably the best approach in the system. The ankle injury has sapped most of his mobility, rendering him below-average on the bases and at second base. The Yankees shifted him to third base following Alex Rodriguez‘s hand fracture in late-July, and it’s likely to be his best position going forward. Adams went from profiling as an above-average second baseman to a below-average third baseman due to the injury. He’ll open the season with Triple-A Scranton and could make his big league debut at some in 2013.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/201...ospects-80944/

Not that his list (or anyone's) is the end all and be all, but I think this is fair -- good hitter, certainly affected by a really serious injury. It's worth noting that he was one space ahead of Austin Romine. While he's certainly not a sure fire major leaguer, it's kind of ridiculous to call him crap.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

This is incorrect.

Edit: Except for the crying over part.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

YF in Boston -

I think that characterizing Adams as crap is totally inappropriate - he clearly has some potential - but here are the things that jump out at me from Axisa's write-up:

The ankle injury suffered in May 2010 still haunts Adams today.
    The ankle injury has sapped most of his mobility, rendering him below-average on the bases
    Adams went from profiling as an above-average second baseman to a below-average third baseman due to the injury.
    I recognize that I am sour apple picking from this writeup, but these statements, when taken together, are actually pretty damning.

His ankle injury seems to have totally changed his tools - he has lost speed and mobility. Yes, he can still hit, but could he play defense?

I am also concerned that whatever his back injury, it required an epidural - one does not get an epidural unless some spinal impingement is involved (I have had five myself). He has played in relatively few games this spring training as a result.

Finally, I read somewhere that Cashman acknowledged that Adams was going to be a 40-man roster casualty in the final cuts anyway.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    YF in Boston -

I think that characterizing Adams as crap is totally inappropriate - he clearly has some potential - but here are the things that jump out at me from Axisa's write-up:

I recognize that I am sour apple picking from this writeup, but these statements, when taken together, are actually pretty damning.

His ankle injury seems to have totally changed his tools - he has lost speed and mobility. Yes, he can still hit, but could he play defense?

I am also concerned that whatever his back injury, it required an epidural - one does not get an epidural unless some spinal impingement is involved (I have had five myself). He has played in relatively few games this spring training as a result.

Finally, I read somewhere that Cashman acknowledged that Adams was going to be a 40-man roster casualty in the final cuts anyway.
    I fully agree that he's not a great prospect, he's obviously changed as a result of the injury, and he may just end up being one of those guys who is always hurt. Of course, all those factors you mention were taken into account with the ranking, and this team is in desperate need of higher level offensive prospects this year.

All that said, the main thrust of my post was just to point out that saying he's crap, or dismissing him just because he was released, isn't a terribly thoughtful response.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I fully agree that he's not a great prospect, he's obviously changed as a result of the injury, and he may just end up being one of those guys who is always hurt. Of course, all those factors you mention were taken into account with the ranking, and this team is in desperate need of higher level offensive prospects this year.

All that said, the main thrust of my post was just to point out that saying he's crap, or dismissing him just because he was released, isn't a terribly thoughtful response.
    On this fact, we are in agreement - after what Adams did in the AFL, I wanted to see what he could do in spring training, as he looked like a very viable piece.

Unfortunately, it did not work out. I wish him the best and am pretty certain he will catch on with another team, probably on a minor league deal.

My hope now is that the Yankees decide to see if they can ride Mustelier for a while at 3B, allowing them to play Youk at 1B until Tex comes back (if he even does come back - I don't have a good feeling on that one). Rivera does not appear to be the answer at 1B and even if Overbay makes the team out of spring training, I see his role more as a defensive replacement late in the game, allowing Youk to move back to 3B in the late innings.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

If he rehabs correctly. I think it's so much of an unknown that they don't really know. I think he's a few weeks from doing a rehab minor league start.

Thanks snapple. Was wondering if the prognosis had changed after some rehab and test results, hoping it wasn't as serious and iffy as some pitchers that had that surgery. Looks like we wont really know till he takes the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Thanks snapple. Was wondering if the prognosis had changed after some rehab and test results, hoping it wasn't as serious and iffy as some pitchers that had that surgery. Looks like we wont really know till he takes the mound.
    I think he's either A.) pitched a 45-pitch BP his last time or B.)his next time up is a 45-pitch BP.

I follow updates for Pineda closely. I'm in the camp that he can come back just as good as he was. Assuming he rehabs correctly, of course. Rothschild recently said that he's right on track and everything is looking good (per Mark Feinsand's sulia)

NYYF Legend

I think he's either A.) pitched a 45-pitch BP his last time or B.)his next time up is a 45-pitch BP.

I follow updates for Pineda closely. I'm in the camp that he can come back just as good as he was. Assuming he rehabs correctly, of course. Rothschild recently said that he's right on track and everything is looking good (per Mark Feinsand's sulia)
    Count me in the camp that thinks Pineda can come back strong. Perhaps it's a matter of "ignorance is bliss" or maybe I just need something positive to cling to in what has otherwise been a pretty miserable offseason but I'm still optimistic that Pineda is going to be solid for us.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Juan Rivera experiment is over, Yanks just released him.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post

Does this open a roster spot for Mustellier?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Makes sense. He really didn't have a role after the Overbay signing. Hopefully they are still considering Mustelier at 3B and Youk at 1B, at least against lefties but I suspect Nix* at 3B is more likely (*veteran presence).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Does this open a roster spot for Mustellier?
    That makes too much sense, Cashman rather pick up another over the hill vet.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Makes sense. He really didn't have a role after the Overbay signing. Hopefully they are still considering Mustelier at 3B and Youk at 1B, at least against lefties but I suspect Nix* at 3B is more likely (*veteran presence).
    See my post below.

Final rosters have to be in by Sunday at sometime, right?

That makes too much sense, Cashman rather pick up another over the hill vet.
    "Lohud Yankees Blog ‏@LoHudYankees 2m
    Do Francisco and Boesch have the inside track on bench jobs? "That's a good educated guess," Cashman said. #yankees
    "

Musty's injury gives them an easy out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Andrew Marchand ‏@AndrewMarchand 6s Opening Day, Youkilis is probaly at first with Nix at third. Lester is starting.

Thread Information