+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 189 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 82 132 ... LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 4717
  1. #776

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Yeah, oops.

    How about Anthony Michael Hall?
    At this point I'll take Arsenio Hall.

    What was Cash thinking letting Adams go? Whats next, resigning Kei Igawa?
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

  2. #777
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    A little note to add to the Wells trade afterglow:

    "Martin, though, told the Yankees he was willing to accept a one-year contract in the $9 million to $10 million range, according to two major-league sources. When the Yankees balked, he agreed to a two-year, $17 million deal with the Pirates.
    A one-year deal for Martin would not have affected the Yankees’ desire to get under the $189 luxury-tax threshold in ’14. Instead, the Yankees will enter the season with two less proven catchers, Francisco Cervelli and Chris Stewart."


    http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true

    It's like the Bizarro World Yankees
    If this is true I can't see any logic in letting Martin go.

  3. #778
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Hall Pass. Hall Mark. Hall Elujah.

  4. #779
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    What was Cash thinking letting Adams go? Whats next, resigning Kei Igawa?
    While Adams was a piece who had potential, he was not a high level prospect.

    Adams was not going to be a member of this year's ML team and someone had to go to make this move. I will trust Cashman's opinion in this matter.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  5. #780

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    No because Adams is a piece. He's not a star or the next great Yankee. The team doesn't have a lot of young major league ready talent and they just let one of them go.
    I don't think he was major league ready.

    He's only played 125 games at AA.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  6. #781

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think he was major league ready.

    He's only played 125 games at AA.
    Adams is a college player that has raked at every level. Good chance he got time in the bigs this year, being on the 40 man and a good hitter. Lots of time at AAA is not a per-requisite for major league time. Maybe on the yankees, but raking at AA is usually a good indicator of readiness. Lots of guys make the jump AA->MLB. He came into spring contending for a bench spot.

  7. #782
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think he was major league ready.

    He's only played 125 games at AA.
    You do have to factor in the fact that he missed much of the 2010 and 2011 seasons with a severe ankle injury, but your point is taken.

    The Yankees had to protect him in the Rule 5 draft after last season (2011), so they have already used up one option on him.

    After a good AFL, everyone was hoping for him to blossom. Instead, he has spent most of spring training battling a back injury that required an epidural - you don't stick a needle in someone's spine for a muscle strain, so this injury clearly was more significant that was being reported.

    All in all, I don't see this move as anything significant - we have other 2B/3B prospects that have shown themselves to be better options than Adams.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  8. #783

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    All in all, I don't see this move as anything significant - we have other 2B/3B prospects that have shown themselves to be better options than Adams.
    The only guys we have who play 2B or 3B are Corban Joseph and Mustelier. David Adams is a better hitter and defender than Joseph. Mustelier has hit better in the minors but he is older, and Adams has been a very solid bat in the minors, maybe even better if you value age at level.

    So I don't think that last statement is self evident, and he has played in games this spring so his back issue can't be that terrible.

  9. #784
    Richmond Virginians
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond Va

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Article by John Harper addressing the state of the Yankees. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1299965

  10. #785

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    A nice read

    Yankees seem to be at a crossroads, not completely sure how to proceed under baseball’s new system with an aging, expensive ballclub in an improving AL East.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2OkCTQt8z

  11. #786
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    The only guys we have who play 2B or 3B are Corban Joseph and Mustelier. David Adams is a better hitter and defender than Joseph. Mustelier has hit better in the minors but he is older, and Adams has been a very solid bat in the minors, maybe even better if you value age at level.

    So I don't think that last statement is self evident, and he has played in games this spring so his back issue can't be that terrible.
    It's a bit disconcerting to me that they have not learned from recent mistakes. They want to suddenly be austere and adhere to a strict budget yet they do not have back up plans to address injuries to aging veterans or players who they will lose to free agency. Adams may not be a future All Star but he could have been an adequate, inexpensive replacement if Youk goes down with an injury or if they do not come to a deal with Cano (or heaven forbid, if Cano injures himself this year).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  12. #787
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    >overvaluing prospects

    go figure
    Perhaps. But I'd rather overvalue YANKEE prosepects than the likes of Vernon Wells and Lyle Overbay.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  13. #788
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    I'd definitely prefer Adams and Mustelier to Wells and Rivera.


  14. #789

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Not trying to be a Yankee apologist, though I seem to be in that mode when the train starts heading down a road where everything is seen as a major problem with Yankee decision making.

    On the surface this seems a bit strange, but isn't there the 100% truth that the Yanks know a lot more about Adams (his health and medical records, to name one thing) than we do and that are making a decision with a heck of a lot more at their disposal than anyone of us have?

    If the argument to that is "of course, but why not move off one of the flotsam that is currently there instead of a guy like Adams" I'll again say that the Yankees have a lot more information than we do. I would be completely shocked if every singe intelligent individual in the Yankee baseball ops department made a huge mistake/oversight. I'm sure they have defensible reason. Not saying we should accept them or that we'll ever know them, but it just seems disingenuous to get riled up over a move to a player that has a very checkered history of late and has a likely finite upside even if completely healthy.

  15. #790

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Not trying to be a Yankee apologist, though I seem to be in that mode when the train starts heading down a road where everything is seen as a major problem with Yankee decision making.

    On the surface this seems a bit strange, but isn't there the 100% truth that the Yanks know a lot more about Adams (his health and medical records, to name one thing) than we do and that are making a decision with a heck of a lot more at their disposal than anyone of us have?

    If the argument to that is "of course, but why not move off one of the flotsam that is currently there instead of a guy like Adams" I'll again say that the Yankees have a lot more information than we do. I would be completely shocked if every singe intelligent individual in the Yankee baseball ops department made a huge mistake/oversight. I'm sure they have defensible reason. Not saying we should accept them or that we'll ever know them, but it just seems disingenuous to get riled up over a move to a player that has a very checkered history of late and has a likely finite upside even if completely healthy.
    You don't sound like an apologist at all....you're one of the more level-headed posters here.

    I think you're correct in that the Yankee baseball ops made, what they feel, was the right decision on Adams. The split is within the fanbase: do we have faith in the Yankee system when it comes to their decisions regarding farmhands and overall player development? Some of us do, some don't.

    Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Adams becomes a dangerous hitter for another team and that we'll regret that we had to DFA him over Wells of all people. Thus far he's hit impressively well no matter the level of play, and, in my opinion, there's reason to believe that he will do likewise on the major league level. I could be wrong.....and so could the Yanks.


  16. #791

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    You don't sound like an apologist at all....you're one of the more level-headed posters here.

    I think you're correct in that the Yankee baseball ops made, what they feel, was the right decision on Adams. The split is within the fanbase: do we have faith in the Yankee system when it comes to their farmhands and overall player development? Some of us do, some don't.

    I'm one of those fans that wouldn't be surprised if Adams becomes a dangerous hitter for another team and that we'll regret that we had to DFA him over Wells of all people. Thus far he's hit impressively well no matter the level of play, and, in my opinion, there's reason to believe that he will do likewise on the major league level. I could be wrong.....and so could the Yanks.
    Perfectly valid stance. You know, it's funny but a walk into the Granderson trade thread is a perfect example as to how nobody has any idea how things will eventually play out. It went from we hate the trade, we LOVE the trade and ripped the Tigers off, to what finally looks to be the result- the Yankees got a pretty good player who flashed ability to be very good at times and gave up a solid pitcher and what looks to be a 15 yr very good ML CF.

    Not to hijack the thread in any other direction, but just wanted to point out that the black and white certainty that some posters have about moves is rarely that. I happen to dislike the roster right now, but actually like the most recent moves. I like the Wells move because I think he's talented and I like the next two years having a not-so-old 4th/5th OF with athleticism and some talent, and I actually like the Overbay signing. Why? Not because I think he's any good. But because for an ultra-short term signing, I'd rather have Overbay fielding Nunez throws and hitting .230 than Juan Rivera fielding Nunez throws and hitting .250.

  17. #792
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
    Girardi acknowledges Hughes will start on DL #Yankees

    https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/sta...75680862683136

  18. #793

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    That's it, no more negativity. Time to start getting up for the season. We're going all the way, baby.

    Who's ready to start the magic number thread? I already have the first pic ready to go.

    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  19. #794

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's it, no more negativity. Time to start getting up for the season. We're going all the way, baby.

    Who's ready to start the magic number thread? I already have the first pic ready to go.


    You just had to post a photo of Montero! Now I'm depressed.

    j/k...well, sorta


  20. #795

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    You just had to post a photo of Montero! Now I'm depressed.

    j/k...well, sorta
    This will make you feel better.


  21. #796

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    This will make you feel better.



  22. #797

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Just out of curiosity what is Pineda's status for this season? I have forgotten about him.

  23. #798
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Not sure if anyone posted this one -- I think it's fair:

    The pitching staff is too good for the Yankees to decline as precipitously as some imagine they will, but a thin lineup makes a second playoff miss since 1995 a distinct possibility.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...xid=nl_siextra
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  24. #799
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Just out of curiosity what is Pineda's status for this season? I have forgotten about him.
    I think best case scenario is sometime after the ASB.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  25. #800

    Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think best case scenario is sometime after the ASB.
    I haven't followed Spring training at all. Is he throwing now?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts