+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Granderson hit .211 with a .284 OBP and 100 Ks after 7/1 last season. Ichiro neither slugs nor gets on base. If Gardner were an OBP machine he'd be a hell of a player - but he isn't.

When the best thing you can say about your OF is that one of them is an "elite" defender you've got problems.
    Read that sentence out loud to yourself. If, after hearing yourself say it, you still think it's true, then we have nothing to talk about and we'll have to agree to disagree.

If you think it sounds completely ridiculous, and the ranting of an NFL fan with nothing to do between mid February and Labor Day, and you recant, then come back and we'll discuss the Yankee outfield futher.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i think it's fair to say that anybody can see as it stands right now, this team is in trouble and needs reinforcements if it hopes to be competitive in the division
    Yeah, you're right. But here's the silver lining-- they'll get reinforcements whether they make moves or not. None of these injuries are season-ending (even A-Rod is supposed to be beack at the All-Star break), and having Granderson come back in May will be better than most of the outside reinforcement options. They just need to get through the first couple of months, and if the pitching stays healthy I think they can do that. Then some of their hitters will start coming back and the trade market (if they choose to go that route) will start to clarify itself by May/June...and who knows, by then they could have discovered a few pleasant surprises in minor league fill-ins.

NYYF Legend

Yanks need to weather the early season with all these injuries. What makes it tough is that there is a boat load of divisional games in April/May.

26 Divisional games in the early season....
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. But here's the silver lining-- they'll get reinforcements whether they make moves or not. None of these injuries are season-ending (even A-Rod is supposed to be beack at the All-Star break), and having Granderson come back in May will be better than most of the outside reinforcement options. They just need to get through the first couple of months, and if the pitching stays healthy I think they can do that. Then some of their hitters will start coming back and the trade market (if they choose to go that route) will start to clarify itself by May/June...and who knows, by then they could have discovered a few pleasant surprises in minor league fill-ins.
    I'm accused of being a blind optimist and an apologist fairly regularly. I'm not waving a white flag by any means, but I'm also not putting any eggs in the A-Rod basket. Im concerned about Tex' injury nagging him later in the year. The pitchers are going to have to come up big. I think Gardner is going to surprise some people. Cano needs to have a monster contract year. Youkilis needs to bounce back. Jeter needs to rebound an be more like he was in '12 than '11.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how it plays out. But it sure has been a rocky offseason.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I put Derek Jeter at first base right now and Nunez at short.
    I actually think that this idea has merit - except for the ego of Captain Yankee.

Moving Jeter to 1B would allow him to play the field while reducing the demands on his ankle - at least IMO, the movement at 1B (particularly to the left, which was his broken ankle) is less stressful than at SS.

Another poster suggest Youk to 1B and let Corban Joseph play 3B - frankly, I would rather Eduardo Scissorhands play 3B, as CoJo shows no indication of being able to hit above the Mendoza line in SLG, much less BA.

Still another poster suggested signing Carlos Lee - can he be had for a ML minumum, incentive laden contract, given that he is still unsigned at this point in Spring Training? If so, call him Cash - it can't hurt, Pineda can still be 60-day DL'd, so a DFA wouldn't be necessary to DFA someone at this time.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I realize that this idea might be a bit of a stretch, but Mustelier has played both 2B and 3B in the minors. What about giving him a 1B glove and some tutoring to see if moving to 1B gives him a chance to make the opening day roster?

His bat certainly is enticing and, if he is athletic enough to have played 2B, 3B and all three OF positions in the minors, one would think he could handle 1B.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I actually think that this idea has merit - except for the ego of Captain Yankee.

Moving Jeter to 1B would allow him to play the field while reducing the demands on his ankle - at least IMO, the movement at 1B (particularly to the left, which was his broken ankle) is less stressful than at SS.

Another poster suggest Youk to 1B and let Corban Joseph play 3B - frankly, I would rather Eduardo Scissorhands play 3B, as CoJo shows no indication of being able to hit above the Mendoza line in SLG, much less BA.

Still another poster suggested signing Carlos Lee - can he be had for a ML minumum, incentive laden contract, given that he is still unsigned at this point in Spring Training? If so, call him Cash - it can't hurt, Pineda can still be 60-day DL'd, so a DFA wouldn't be necessary to DFA someone at this time.
    Since Joe is so reluctant to consider moving Grandy from CF to LF without a full spring to make that transition, I'm not sure he'd give a moment's thought to moving a recovering shortstop to a completely foreign new position.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Since Joe is so reluctant to consider moving Grandy from CF to LF without a full spring to make that transition, I'm not sure he'd give a moment's thought to moving a recovering shortstop to a completely foreign new position.
    I actually agree with your position vis-a-vis the logic of Mr. Girardi. I was simply pointing out that the idea of moving Jeter to 1B had some merit.

And, Jeter would at least have some time in Spring Training to take grounders at 1B. I think part of Joe's thinking is that he does not want to have Granderson learn a new position (which isn't really new, since Grandy has played there before) during the regular season.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Not only is it a mystery as to who our first baseman's going to be, who our LF is going to be, who our starting C really is, what's going to happen when Youkilis eventually breaks down? For a $200 million dollar payroll, this lineup looks awfully thin.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I realize that this idea might be a bit of a stretch, but Mustelier has played both 2B and 3B in the minors. What about giving him a 1B glove and some tutoring to see if moving to 1B gives him a chance to make the opening day roster?

His bat certainly is enticing and, if he is athletic enough to have played 2B, 3B and all three OF positions in the minors, one would think he could handle 1B.
    I don't see the harm in these types of experiments. I think you'd know pretty quickly whether someone can be serviceable at 1B. Ride the hot offensive player. Maybe we'll get a Chris Shelton.

I penned an article this morning breaking down the internal options to replace Teixeira, along with who I would have fill his role and why. Figured I would leave here in case anyone is interested in reading.

http://www.examiner.com/article/repl...who-s-on-first

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    opening day lineup:

SS jeter
    RF ichiro
    2B cano
    3B youkilis
    DH hafner
    1B rivera
    CF gardner
    C cervelli
    LF mesa

awesomeballs
    CF gardner
    RF ichiro
    SS jeter
    2B cano
    1B youkilis
    DH hafner
    3B Nunez
    LF Mesa
    C Cervelli

Get your best hitters the most at bats. It was tempting to put Youkilis up in the 2-3 range due to his OBP powaazzz but he can provide a quality at-bat with the ability to do some damage behind Cano. He will make the pitcher work to get out of trouble.

This team is going to be a closer to the teams we saw in the late 90's early 2000's. Make the pitcher work, take what the other team gives you and use an all around attack.

Gardner has the ability to put up a .300/.380/ 60+ steal season. I think if he is given a real shot at lead-off, he will shine. He is a lead-off hitter and can change a game so many ways with that speed on both sides of the ball. No idea why this guy is so underrated.

I'm in the "Ichiro still has it" camp. I'd predict an average close to .300/ 175 - 200 hits / 35 steals.

Youk, has a big season in him. He had a lot going on last year personally & professionally. Sometimes, you have to chalk it up as just a bad season. He has worked a lot on his stance to improve his quickness and get rid of all the extra non-sense. It actually is a very similar to his stance in 2007-2008~ season(s).

I think Cervelli will surprise people this year.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    CF gardner
    RF ichiro
    SS jeter
    2B cano
    1B youkilis
    DH hafner
    3B Nunez
    LF Mesa
    C Cervelli

Get your best hitters the most at bats. It was tempting to put Youkilis up in the 2-3 range due to his OBP powaazzz but he can provide a quality at-bat with the ability to do some damage behind Cano. He will make the pitcher work to get out of trouble.

This team is going to be a closer to the teams we saw in the late 90's early 2000's. Make the pitcher work, take what the other team gives you and use an all around attack.

Gardner has the ability to put up a .300/.380/ 60+ steal season. I think if he is given a real shot at lead-off, he will shine. He is a lead-off hitter and can change a game so many ways with that speed on both sides of the ball. No idea why this guy is so underrated.

I'm in the "Ichiro still has it" camp. I'd predict an average close to .300/ 175 - 200 hits / 35 steals.

Youk, has a big season in him. He had a lot going on last year personally & professionally. Sometimes, you have to chalk it up as just a bad season. He has worked a lot on his stance to improve his quickness and get rid of all the extra non-sense. It actually is a very similar to his stance in 2007-2008~ season(s).

I think Cervelli will surprise people this year.
    Right - get your best hitters the most at bats.
    But you want Gardner at the top? He's not nearly one of the best hitters on the team.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Right - get your best hitters the most at bats.
    But you want Gardner at the top? He's not nearly one of the best hitters on the team.
    He will probably be in the top 3 in OBP on the team, so yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    He will probably be in the top 3 in OBP on the team, so yea.
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I wouldn't bet on that.
    You one of those guys who thinks that Gardner is a 4th OF type?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

jeter batting 3rd? has it gotten to that point? lolballs
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I wouldn't bet on that.
    I think he's going to surprise you this season.

Gardner is the least of this team's worries.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Gardner is the least of this team's worries.
    Yeah, Gardner and Cano are the only two that don't worry me. Even if Gardner doesn't reach the ceiling that some are predicting, I think he'll be fine.

Every other spot in the lineup is more troublesome.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Can we trade for Swisher?
    Team Northern Lights

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

His minor league stats suggest otherwise.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Can we trade for Swisher?
    Considering the contract he got, I'm a little disappointed the Yankees didn't keep him.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

chase headley baby. make it happen, cash. BTW, Jeter has to lead off-- his 2.0+ GO/AO will kill so many rallies in the 2 or 3 spot. and there is no way jeter will play first to accommodate a temporary injury. even if tex's injury is prolonged, that just will not happen.

SS Jeter
    RF Ichiro
    1B Youk
    2B Cano
    3B Headley
    LF Mustelier
    DH Hafner
    C Cervelli
    CF Gardner
    “I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me,” Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    His minor league stats suggest otherwise.
    A bigger question would be whether he can play third base on anything like a regular basis. Outlook not so good.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information