+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 189 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 108 ... LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Eduardo Nunez is gonna be beast this year, you just watch, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    If he does, it will be his first beast year ever in professional baseball. I hope you're right. because he can't play defense.

NYYF Triple Crown

Here's what the likely thinking is behind Nunez:

He's 25 right now, and has hit decently in limited time at the MLB level. If Nunez was going to play SS or 2B, as he enters his prime, he'll probably put up good offensive numbers for that position.

It wouldn't surprise me if prime Nunez playing full time hits .290 with 15-20 home runs consistently. If you're getting that production from the middle infield, that's awesome. The question is obviously his fielding.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If he does, it will be his first beast year ever in professional baseball. I hope you're right. because he can't play defense.
    He can't play much of anything. I don't even know how so many people are high on the dude.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He can't play much of anything. I don't even know how so many people are high on the dude.
    They overrate his hitting.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post

He's 25 right now, and has hit decently in limited time at the MLB level. If Nunez was going to play SS or 2B, as he enters his prime, he'll probably put up good offensive numbers for that position.

It wouldn't surprise me if prime Nunez playing full time hits .290 with 15-20 home runs consistently. If you're getting that production from the middle infield, that's awesome. The question is obviously his fielding.
    .290 and 15-20 HR's a year is roughly Dustin P. over in Boston. I don't see Nunez as a full time ML'r and fielding second base. Though I am all for giving him 250-300 at bats this year to see what you have.

The problem is can he field enough positions to get those at bats?
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

I've made a huge mistake Gob Rules's Avatar

Nunez is not a good a hitter as people think he is, but sometimes we forget that he could be an awesome base stealer. It makes up for some of his deficiencies at the plate.
    Gob Rules. the Clint Eastwood of NYYFans.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Nunez is a "what if" story in my opinion, as in what if he could play solid defense? If so, he has elite middle IF utility potential and league average or better starter potential at shortstop. Of course, the what if is the problem there.

NYYF Cy Young

He's like Chuck Knoblauch but without the offensive production.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post

I ask this respectfully because I'm truly mystified about where people's expectations of Nunez come from.

How do you arrive at a .290 (batting average, I presume) and 15 to 20 home runs? That's close to an all star for a middle infielder.

as a point of reference, In 2961 career plate appearances in the minor leagues, something like 6 full seasons, he's hit 33 home runs, roughly 5 home runs a year, and has a .270 batting average.

In 491 PA in the bigs, he's hit 7 home runs and has a .272 batting average.

Where does he suddenly get twice the power and pick up his BA twenty points at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Nunez is a "what if" story in my opinion, as in what if he could play solid defense? If so, he has elite middle IF utility potential and league average or better starter potential at shortstop. Of course, the what if is the problem there.
    Yes, if he could play shortstop well, then a .310 obp, 8 to 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases would be perfectly acceptable. So many, though, say they need to find a way to get him in the lineup for his bat...that I just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    They overrate his hitting.
    Which is dumb considering how poor his mL numbers were.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Yes, if he could play shortstop well, then a .310 obp, 8 to 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases would be perfectly acceptable. So many, though, say they need to find a way to get him in the lineup for his bat...that I just don't get.
    It's for a lack of better options. He's probably a better hitter than Diaz/Rivera.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

If my math is correct, the Yanks will only carry 4 outfielders. Hafner can only DH, so he can't even back up Tex. Cash is clear that Nunez will not play anywhere but SS or DH, so they need to carry Nix for back up at 2B and 3B. With 12 pitchers, 2 catchers, 6 infielders, 1 DH, that leaves just 4 guys for the OF when you need at least 5 capable of playing out there. Ichiro and Gardner will need days off here and there. I don't see how they get around this lack of versatility.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Cashman says that you are overrating him. Just sayin.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    He mentioned me by name? Sweet!

He mentioned me by name? Sweet!

Watch yourself. He knows how to fight these things with lawyers

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I find Cashman's comments extremely interesting - why would he possibly say that Nez' minor league numbers indicate that he is "not a great offensive player" (direct quote from the NY Post article)?

Such an admission hurts any trade value that Nez might have - he would already be a tough sell, given that he has demonstrated such atrocious defense. Making a statement like Cashman did basically makes him a throwaway trade chip, not something that he might get a mid-level prospect type for.

It would not surprise me if Nez was DFA'd at the end of spring training (I am assuming he is out of options, given that he has appeared in the ML in three different seasons).

As Hardrain pointed out, the Yankees have a numbers problem with this roster - they will need to carry Jayson Nix (or his equivalent) to cover 2B, 3B & SS. Who backs up 1B right now? Certainly not Hafner!! We desperately need a RH OFer to step up in Grandy's absence and to give us a RH option at DH.

Right now, I count for 13 spots (assuming a 12 man pitching staff)

1. Starting Catcher
    2. Tex 1B
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Jeter SS
    5. Youk 3B
    6. Starting LF
    7. Gardner CF
    8. Ichiro RF
    9. Hafner DH
    10. Nix UT
    11. Backup RH OF/DH
    12. Backup C
    13. Backup 1B

Where is the room for Nez on this roster? Unless he is going to pick up a 1B glove and suddenly start backing up Tex, I don't see the role for him.

At the moment, Dan Johnson & Matt Diaz are #2 & #3 on the Yankees depth chart at 1B according to MLB.com - I guess you could argue Youk as the backup 1B, with Nez making the roster in that manner.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Barring an injury, Nunez is going to be on the opening day roster. Take it to the bank.

There is room without holding an unnecessary slot for a backup first baseman, with Rivera and Youkilis being available to fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I find Cashman's comments extremely interesting - why would he possibly say that Nez' minor league numbers indicate that he is "not a great offensive player" (direct quote from the NY Post article)?

Such an admission hurts any trade value that Nez might have - he would already be a tough sell, given that he has demonstrated such atrocious defense. Making a statement like Cashman did basically makes him a throwaway trade chip, not something that he might get a mid-level prospect type for.

It would not surprise me if Nez was DFA'd at the end of spring training (I am assuming he is out of options, given that he has appeared in the ML in three different seasons).

As Hardrain pointed out, the Yankees have a numbers problem with this roster - they will need to carry Jayson Nix (or his equivalent) to cover 2B, 3B & SS. Who backs up 1B right now? Certainly not Hafner!! We desperately need a RH OFer to step up in Grandy's absence and to give us a RH option at DH.

Right now, I count for 13 spots (assuming a 12 man pitching staff)

1. Starting Catcher
    2. Tex 1B
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Jeter SS
    5. Youk 3B
    6. Starting LF
    7. Gardner CF
    8. Ichiro RF
    9. Hafner DH
    10. Nix UT
    11. Backup RH OF/DH
    12. Backup C
    13. Backup 1B

Where is the room for Nez on this roster? Unless he is going to pick up a 1B glove and suddenly start backing up Tex, I don't see the role for him.

At the moment, Dan Johnson & Matt Diaz are #2 & #3 on the Yankees depth chart at 1B according to MLB.com - I guess you could argue Youk as the backup 1B, with Nez making the roster in that manner.
    This is a fantastic post. Yes, the presence of both Nunie and Hafner on the roster creates very serious versatility problems. There are not adequate defensive backups if both are on the roster.

I agree that Nunie is an above average line drive hitter, the kind of guy who would make for a useful player back in the day when teams carried 10 pitchers (see Earl Weaver) - but the way rosters are constructed now, a guy like Nix is actually more valuable than Scissorhands even though Nunie is a much better hitter than Nix.

Nunez is actually seriously affected by the presence of Hafner.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Barring an injury, Nunez is going to be on the opening day roster. Take it to the bank.

There is room without holding an unnecessary slot for a backup first baseman, with Rivera and Youkilis being available to fill that role.
    The problem (see previous posts) is that there will be only four guys who can play OF.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Not following why this means he would be out of options. You burn an option if you're in the minor leagues for more than 20 days while on the 40 man roster. Nunez spent no time in the minors in 2011, so he didn't use an option.

Edit: and to be clear, he isn't out of options.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Not following why this means he would be out of options. You burn an option if you're in the minor leagues for more than 20 days while on the 40 man roster. Nunez spent no time in the minors in 2011, so he didn't use an option.

Edit: and to be clear, he isn't out of options.
    If that be the case, I can see him being optioned to AAA at the start of the season to play while the Yankees look at other options. If Rivera continues to hit the ball well, I can see him making the opening day roster at the RH OF/DH option. Rivera has also played 106 games at 1B in the majors, so there is a little versatility there as well.

In addition, if I were Cashman, I would probably keep Melky Mesa over Nez on the major league roster - a much better OF option, having played all three OF spots and he can be optioned when Grandy comes back.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    To be fair, not that many people are high on him. Just Yogi and a poster on this site.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

IIATMS said it right. fans have Nunez's homer off verlander as the last thing in their memory. that's where this is all coming from. with that said, he may not be as good or have as much potential as people make it out, but why not give him a chance?
    he is NOT a black hole offensively. it would be awesome if he was defensively though. I would make him the regular DH against lefties, or give him the regular starts.

anyway this is what i think we'll break camp with:

Sabathia
    Kuroda
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Nova

Rivera
    Robertson
    Chamberlain
    Logan
    Aardsma
    Rapada
    Phelps

C Stewart
    UT Nix
    UT Nunez
    OF Mesa

SS Jeter
    RF Ichiro
    3B Youkilis
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    LF Mustelier
    DH Hafner
    C Cervelli
    CF Gardner
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

Thread Information