+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 189 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

Now that spring training is here and all players have reported, it is time to begin speaking of the season that will lead to our 28th World Series Championship.

Despite the lack of moves this off-season, I, for one, believe that this Yankee team will be successful and has a solid chance to advance to and win the World Series. Our starting pitching is intact, Mo has returned (and appears to have lost nothing, from what I read) and we acquired pieces that I believe will fit well on this team.

Will we be the Bronx Bombers this season? NO, but I do believe that this team will score runs. We may do it in more of a small ball manner, but I am encouraged about the offense.

As for the remainder of the AL East, everyone looks at all the moves that Toronto made, but even Yankee fans understand that you cannot buy a pennant - so I count both Toronto and the Los Angeles Dodgers out early. The Orioles, despite what they did last year, are likely to come crashing to earth and the Red Sox still have nothing to crow about (although their fans can eat crow with the best of them.) The Rays - well, I find Joe Madden to be one of the great managers in baseball, always getting more out of what he has than probably any manager in baseball.

So, GO YANKEES onto your 28th World Series Championship. My prediction - Yankees sweep the Cardinals and get revenge for the 1964 World Series.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Re: 2013 New York Yankees Season Long Discussion Thread

If this thread stays active all season, it should be an amazing ride. The highs and lows of any season are exaggerated to the ultimate degree on this forum, so we should see times when it seems everybody believes the Yankees are world-beaters and times when almost nobody believes in them.

I have to admit that anyone projecting this team to reach the World Series, much less sweep it, is probably in the minority right now. But Spring Training is a time of endless optimism, and I agree that at least with respect to the pitching staff, the Yankees look very strong on paper. The offense looks nowhere near as strong as we've seen for many years, but who knows, maybe Girardi will have some fun and some success with a different set of offensive weapons.

Despite my reservations about this team, I see them winning the division. I just have a hard time imagining them getting anywhere in the playoffs, at least not without some luck and a significant mid-season acquisition or two.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Tex will win the MVP, you saw it here.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    If this thread stays active all season, it should be an amazing ride. The highs and lows of any season are exaggerated to the ultimate degree on this forum, so we should see times when it seems everybody believes the Yankees are world-beaters and times when almost nobody believes in them.

I have to admit that anyone projecting this team to reach the World Series, much less sweep it, is probably in the minority right now. But Spring Training is a time of endless optimism, and I agree that at least with respect to the pitching staff, the Yankees look very strong on paper. The offense looks nowhere near as strong as we've seen for many years, but who knows, maybe Girardi will have some fun and some success with a different set of offensive weapons.

Despite my reservations about this team, I see them winning the division. I just have a hard time imagining them getting anywhere in the playoffs, at least not without some luck and a significant mid-season acquisition or two.
    Sweet Lou - just visit my location to understand my mind set.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Snapple - love your optomism.

You're nuts. Cano is on a contract year and Boras is his agent. It has MVP all over it.

Actually I saw on Clubhouse Confidential yesterday that Cano may be in for a bad year. From what I understand his pitch selection, contact rate, and base-running have taken a downward trend for two seasons. It was acknowledged that last year was one of his best seasons but those factors say he either needs to adjust or he will more than likely fail. Granderson is another one who fits the decline because along with those things his bat speed is slower.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

pass me the bong..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    ...but even Yankee fans understand that you cannot buy a pennant...
    2009?

Yeah. For Most Voracious Popups.

Released Outright

I'd settle for him just improving upon last year, but MVP would be hella tight.

Here is what you tell fans of other teams who say the "Yankees" "bought" a pennant:

Every pennant is purchased by ownership. Some pennants just cost more than others. These are all paid professionals.

But unless they are bribing umps, the athletes all must play by the same rules. The Yankee players have no advantage playing in a bigger market. Ownership has an advantage, not the players.

So enjoy the games, root for the real "Yankees" -- the players, not the ownership, and ignore the stupid fans of other teams who talk about buying championships in reference to the players for whom you root.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I have similar reservations, but am having a hard time imagining them winning the division. However, if they do, I feel they have just as good a chance as anybody to advance in the playoffs.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I never understand how anybody in Feburary can say the Yankees can play well enough over six months of baseball to win a division, but then won't be good enough to advance in a best of five playoff series half a year from now.

If they're good enough to win a competitive division over 162 games, I am going to assume a lot of things go right for them. Given we don't even know who else might be in the playoffs, how can we feel confident about the long marathon ahead of them but don't see them winning three out of five against some undetermined team?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Yeah. For Most Voracious Popups.

Pop goes the weixeil.

Released Outright

I never understand how anybody in Feburary can say the Yankees can play well enough over six months of baseball to win a division, but then won't be good enough to advance in a best of five playoff series half a year from now.

If they're good enough to win a competitive division over 162 games, I am going to assume a lot of things go right for them. Given we don't even know who else might be in the playoffs, how can we feel confident about the long marathon ahead of them but don't see them winning three out of five against some undetermined team?
    Sometimes people forget that the playoffs are basically a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Sometimes people forget that the playoffs are basically a crapshoot.
    I actually don't really subscribe to the degree that many do to the idea that the playoffs are a crapshoot. Baseball doesn't get a lot of betting on it, but if you look at the odds on playoff series, they are generally pretty wide. If those series were truly crapshoots, or close to crapshoots, then you could blindly take the underdog all the time and make easy money.

That said, we're six months away from knowing how pitching will line up, who is hot, who is not...etc...so at this stage there is no way to predict how any team would do in the playoffs that I could tell...

NYYF Legend

No way. He grounded into a double play in his first at bat today. I suppose we should be happy he didn't hit a pop-up.

Released Outright

I actually don't really subscribe to the degree that many do to the idea that the playoffs are a crapshoot. Baseball doesn't get a lot of betting on it, but if you look at the odds on playoff series, they are generally pretty wide. If those series were truly crapshoots, or close to crapshoots, then you could blindly take the underdog all the time and make easy money.

That said, we're six months away from knowing how pitching will line up, who is hot, who is not...etc...so at this stage there is no way to predict how any team would do in the playoffs that I could tell...
    Each individual series is not necessarily a crapshoot (though a five game series is pretty close). The playoffs as a whole are pretty close to one, especially now that they've added teams to the playoffs. Even the best team won't have more than a 1/4 chance of winning the whole thing going in.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Here is what you tell fans of other teams who say the "Yankees" "bought" a pennant:

Every pennant is purchased by ownership. Some pennants just cost more than others. These are all paid professionals.

But unless they are bribing umps, the athletes all must play by the same rules. The Yankee players have no advantage playing in a bigger market. Ownership has an advantage, not the players.

So enjoy the games, root for the real "Yankees" -- the players, not the ownership, and ignore the stupid fans of other teams who talk about buying championships in reference to the players for whom you root.
    I don't let it bother me at all. Nor do I let the PED championships bother me. Because I know every fan that complains about the way big market teams operate would switch what they have in their little town for money and cheaters if it meant a championship. I'm sure someone will deny it, but I know for the most part its jealousy. You're never going to get them to not think it so why waste time even getting annoyed?
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Except that's not exactly what I said. I said I can see them winning the division but I have a harder time imagining them succeeding in the playoffs. I didn't predict they will lose the ALDS, as you incorrectly imply.

Again you are focused on the ALDS ... I didn't say anything about the ALDS specifically. And in fact I didn't really make a prediction at all. I responded to a poster who predicted the Yankees sweeping the World Series and I said my confidence level isn't quite that high. Here's why:
    1. I think the Yankees are better on paper than the other teams in the AL East, but not necessarily the best team on paper in the AL.
    2. I think there can be a difference between the kind of roster that wins the marathon and the kind that wins the sprint of a short series.
    3. I don't believe in crapshoots. I believe, unfortunately, that with the exception of 2009 the Yankees have underperformed in the playoffs for an entire decade now. I don't know what it is, but they find ways to lose against teams that they should beat ... that is, unless they play the Minnesota Twins. Even Baltimore pushed them to the brink and -- on paper -- that really shouldn't have happened.

I think we've got a good-but-not-great roster here. I'm excited to root for this team. But there's no way I could look at this roster on paper and say they're World Series favorites. If they somehow pull it off, that will be amazing and a really sweet ride. But on the other hand, if they get their asses handed to them by Detroit or Texas or LAA, I'm not going to be surprised and I'm definitely not going to just shrug my shoulders and call it a crapshoot.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Except that's not exactly what I said. I said I can see them winning the division but I have a harder time imagining them succeeding in the playoffs. I didn't predict they will lose the ALDS, as you incorrectly imply.

Again you are focused on the ALDS ... I didn't say anything about the ALDS specifically. And in fact I didn't really make a prediction at all. I responded to a poster who predicted the Yankees sweeping the World Series and I said my confidence level isn't quite that high. Here's why:
    1. I think the Yankees are better on paper than the other teams in the AL East, but not necessarily the best team on paper in the AL.
    2. I think there can be a difference between the kind of roster that wins the marathon and the kind that wins the sprint of a short series.
    3. I don't believe in crapshoots. I believe, unfortunately, that with the exception of 2009 the Yankees have underperformed in the playoffs for an entire decade now. I don't know what it is, but they find ways to lose against teams that they should beat ... that is, unless they play the Minnesota Twins. Even Baltimore pushed them to the brink and -- on paper -- that really shouldn't have happened.

I think we've got a good-but-not-great roster here. I'm excited to root for this team. But there's no way I could look at this roster on paper and say they're World Series favorites. If they somehow pull it off, that will be amazing and a really sweet ride. But on the other hand, if they get their asses handed to them by Detroit or Texas or LAA, I'm not going to be surprised and I'm definitely not going to just shrug my shoulders and call it a crapshoot.
    Got it. i think i misunderstood when you said you didn't see them getting anywhere in the playoffs...I took it to mean you didn't think they would get far in the playoffs in general. I guess you weren't saying anything about the ALDS.

NYYF Legend

I responded to a poster who predicted the Yankees sweeping the World Series and I said my confidence level isn't quite that high.
    Sweet Lou -

I respect the fact that your confidence is not as high as mine. Since I live in the "The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all", my optimism, particularly at the beginning of the season, is always WS Champions.

As for the sweep, again this opinion is a personal matter. I became a Yankee fan during the 1961 season following the M&M boys (according to my father), but my first real baseball memory is crying after the 1964 team lost the World Series to the Cardinals. Ever since, I have wanted the Yankees to sweep the Cardinals in the World Series so that I can have my "revenge".

Looking forward to this season. I agree that we have a good, but not great team. Nonetheless, I think our starting pitching is solid - our #1-#3 can probably match up against any other team in baseball, Hughes is, IMO, going to have a career year as he heads into free agency and I believe the combo of Phelps & Nova in the five hole will give us a strong performance.

Our bullpen, from top to bottom, may be as good as any bullpen in baseball. Get the ball to Robby and Mo and I see a W being posted.

Defensively, I think this team is the strongest we have had in some time. With the OF of Grandy, Gardner & Ichiro, we essentially have three CFers playing regularly. On the IF, our 1B & 2B combo is as good defensively as any team. Our right side does cause a little angst, but I have faith that Jeter will bounce back and Youk will provide solid 3B defense. Catcher is a position that will be defense first.

The offense is, naturally, a place where many fans are skeptic. Will we score 800+ runs in 2013? No, I seriously doubt that that event will happen. But, do we need to? Only Texas scored more runs than the Yankees last season and the other World Series team scored 718, so you can win scoring fewer runs if you get good pitching and defense.

My prediction - the Yankees win the AL East at 92-70, advance to the World Series and sweep the Cardinals so that, 50 years after I became a Yankee fan, I finally get my revenge.

GO YANKEES

Released Outright

Yankees should start Nunez in LF.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm Yankee Stadium welcome back to Alfonso Soriano.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Yankees should start Nunez in LF.

I totally agree; have him fill in there while Grandy's out. I think Nunez has high upside at the plate (some people on here might disagree, but you'll probably all agree that he has higher upside/room to grow than other options like Matt Diaz or Juan Rivera). He'll never be a good infielder, I wish they would give up on this idea of him as the shortstop of the future. Stick him in left field, where he'll do a lot less damage (especially with an excellent CF picking up some of his slack), and let's see what he can do at the plate.

NYYF Legend

Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm Yankee Stadium welcome back to Alfonso Soriano.
    At a significantly higher price than what we would have paid prior to today's game.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information