+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2013 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

He reported to camp today.

Maybe if I start the thread he'll have a good year?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Re: 2013 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

kinda doubt it this year
    always reasonable

Released Outright

I think he'll have a good year.

NYYF MVP

150+ GP, .350 OBP, and 35 homers. That's all I'm asking for.

MT25's goals are to stay healthy and have fun. Please. Maybe if he relaxed he wouldn't be so bad.

What would Carl Pavano do?
    Pardon, for us.

Is it pick on snapple week, JDPNYY?

Carl Pavano would have an appendectomy after the press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Is it pick on snapple week, JDPNYY?

Carl Pavano would have an appendectomy after the press conference.
    My post has nothing to do with you. I'd be happy to ignore you completely if you prefer.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    150+ GP, .350 OBP, and 35 homers. That's all I'm asking for.
    that's all?

I would happily sign right now for 130 games, 25 home runs and .330 obp.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    What would Carl Pavano do?
    He reached new heights by rupturing his spleen shoveling snow- that'll be hard to top
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    He reached new heights by rupturing his spleen shoveling snow- that'll be hard to top
    Carl, might oughtta had gotten someone to shovel his property, what with all the free millions of dollars he been earnin'.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    that's all?

I would happily sign right now for 130 games, 25 home runs and .330 obp.
    Why on earth would you be happy with that? It's pretty much 2012, which is not where this team needs him to be.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Why on earth would you be happy with that? It's pretty much 2012, which is not where this team needs him to be.
    Agreed. It is relatively fair to expect those kind of numbers going forward but nobody at all should be happy with them.

If Tex stops declining for the next two or three years and stays where he is, I would be happy with it. Not saying the team doesn't need more, and obviously I hope he does do more, but I would sign right now to stem the decline. 130 games would mean reasonably healthy, 25 home runs would mean reasonable power and a .330 obp would be okay.

If Tex stops declining for the next two or three years and stays where he is, I would be happy with it. Not saying the team doesn't need more, and obviously I hope he does do more, but I would sign right now to stem the decline. 130 games would mean reasonably healthy, 25 home runs would mean reasonable power and a .330 obp would be okay.
    It won't be OK though. Those numbers extended to the end of his contract would make his time in NY a complete disaster outside of 2009.
    Team Northern Lights

It won't be OK though. Those numbers extended to the end of his contract would make his time in NY a complete disaster outside of 2009.
    I've given up on the Yankees getting a good return on the contract. I'm talking about what I would sign for in 2013 for on field performance. I don't think it's at all likely that he can return to what he was four or five years ago. But 25 home runs, 130 games and a .330 obp, to go along with one of the best gloves in the business isn't a disaster as a first baseman.

We're obvioulsy talking a hypothetical here as nobody can 'sign' for anything, but stopping his decline and maintaining his status as a productive player in '13-'15 is what I would accept at this point. The alternative to that would be continuing decline, both in power and OBP and more nagging injuries.

I've given up on the Yankees getting a good return on the contract. I'm talking about what I would sign for in 2013 for on field performance. I don't think it's at all likely that he can return to what he was four or five years ago. But 25 home runs, 130 games and a .330 obp, to go along with one of the best gloves in the business isn't a disaster as a first baseman.

We're obvioulsy talking a hypothetical here as nobody can 'sign' for anything, but stopping his decline and maintaining his status as a productive player in '13-'15 is what I would accept at this point. The alternative to that would be continuing decline, both in power and OBP and more nagging injuries.
    I get your point, but I can't look at Teixeira in the context of "just a first baseman" considering what he was signed to do, the amount of time he's here, and the impact his salary has on other acquisitions.

The status quo of 2012 won't make me happy, unless the Yankees win and then I won't care until the following year. He's young and talented enough to be better than he's been.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/1...-strong-april/
    When I found out I was going to play in the WBC, I called (hitting coach Kevin Long) and said, Lets not build up to Opening Day, Teixeira said. Lets build up to the WBC. Lets build up to the first of March. I think that will be good because theres never really a sense of urgency because spring training is six weeks long. Now I kind of have two weeks to get ready. Im in great shape, so I have no problem kind of ramping up the baseball activities and really making sure my swing is right, my timing is right. Hopefully its going to be great for the WBC.

That change in approach, Teixeira believes, just might pay off when the regular season begins.

I spend almost all offseason and all spring training lifting weights very hard, getting my body in shape for 162 (games), Teixeira said. Because of that, I think in April Im a little tight, maybe a little sore. This year, Ive cut back on that. Im not really going to get any stronger as I get older. I just want to keep that strength, keep that flexibility, so Ive cut back a little bit on the weightlifting already to make sure Im not tight for the beginning of the season.
    Fingers crossed that this may get him off to a better start when April gets here.

Released Outright

He's basically admitting that he's past his peak lol.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/02/1...-strong-april/

Fingers crossed that this may get him off to a better start when April gets here.
    Every year he's discovered something that will assure he gets off to a good start for a change. And every year it doesn't work.

But sure, I'll cross my fingers ... Couldn't hurt!

Released Outright

I imagine it might hurt if you keep your fingers crossed for too long lol

I get your point, but I can't look at Teixeira in the context of "just a first baseman" considering what he was signed to do, the amount of time he's here, and the impact his salary has on other acquisitions.

The status quo of 2012 won't make me happy, unless the Yankees win and then I won't care until the following year. He's young and talented enough to be better than he's been.
    Yeah, I suspect we're actually not that far apart on overall perspective. I guess my period of 'mourning' for the whole Tex thing is over and I've moved through sadness to anger to acceptance..(I say with a half smile)....

I guess my point is that I see it more likely that he continues to decline than he regains pre-2010 form at this point, and if he hits 25 with a .330-ish obp and stays on the field for 130 or so games every year for the next three or so years, I'd take that. That's still very reasonable production, even out of first base (the Rays would win the division evey year if they had that out of first base).

Fully agree, as I have for some time, that his performance is nowhere near the value of his contract (and even he made a point to say he agrees with that...)

Yeah, I suspect we're actually not that far apart on overall perspective. I guess my period of 'mourning' for the whole Tex thing is over and I've moved through sadness to anger to acceptance..(I say with a half smile)....

I guess my point is that I see it more likely that he continues to decline than he regains pre-2010 form at this point, and if he hits 25 with a .330-ish obp and stays on the field for 130 or so games every year for the next three or so years, I'd take that. That's still very reasonable production, even out of first base (the Rays would win the division evey year if they had that out of first base).

Fully agree, as I have for some time, that his performance is nowhere near the value of his contract (and even he made a point to say he agrees with that...)
    Unfortunately you were pretty much spot on with your early Tex assessment from last season. No offense, but I really hope you're wrong this season (as I'm sure you do as well).

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Unfortunately you were pretty much spot on with your early Tex assessment from last season. No offense, but I really hope you're wrong this season (as I'm sure you do as well).
    Yeah, i hope i'm wrong too when I say that I think a further decline is more probable than a return to pre-2010 levels. though it would stand to reason that while still only 32, he could level off the next three or so years and still hit with solid home run power and adequate obp.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Your post got me thinking and I went back and looked at our back and forth a year ago. Must admit it made me laugh when I found this. Technically, you won the bet. In spirit, though, I think I did...lol

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7454544

Thread Information