+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2013 Mariano Rivera Peformance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Jeter will never be mentioned above Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle or Dimaggio, nor should he be.
    Not enough long balls?
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    He is on pace to have one of the finest seasons of his career at age 43 after an absolutely devastating injury. It's easily one of the most impressive sports comebacks I've ever witnessed, if not the most. This and Peyton Manning last year are the two most impressive comebacks I can think of.
    I'll go with Adrian Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Agree. But I'll bet that 20 years from now, these lists are gonna read:

Jeter
    and then
    1) Babe
    2) Lou; Mo
    etc.

Not just talking sentimental, either. Considering his stats, too.
    The only way this happens is if they stopped counting anything before 1960.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'll go with Adrian Peterson.

Or if Jeter continues to play at a high level for each of those 20 years. (And he already has a lot of making up for for this season)
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I meant more in line with fans' personal lists. Truly believe Jeter will shoot up there, in time.

(Don't mind me, I'm getting old -- and also forgot whose thread this is being posted in, as well. )
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

Jeter will never be mentioned above Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle or Dimaggio, nor should he be.
    No one will ever be mentioned above Ruth. But Jeter & Mantle are very comparable IMO. Still, Jeter will probably come in below that whole group, which is not a knock on him. Mo's position is very specialized, it's hard to compare him against those guys but in terms of excelling at his role, he is definitely among that group

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    No one will ever be mentioned above Ruth. But Jeter & Mantle are very comparable IMO. Still, Jeter will probably come in below that whole group, which is not a knock on him. Mo's position is very specialized, it's hard to compare him against those guys but in terms of excelling at his role, he is definitely among that group
    How so.

I agree about Rivera, he can't be compared to those guys, but in his respective position, he's the best ever.

Jeter is one of the greatest Yankees ever, and arguably the most popular in their history. He deserves to be mentioned in the same breath and anyone. Obviously from a pure stat perspective he can be dwarfed by the numbers of Ruth and co like everyone else, but from a total package standpoint, he's right there.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post

I have Mariano at #6 on my all-time list.

1. Babe
    2. Gehrig
    3. Mantle
    4. DiMaggio
    5. Yogi
    6. Mariano
    7. Jeter
    8. Whitey
    It seems like we have some disagreements about the exact order, which is to be expected, but most agree with the TOP 8 players, so my question is, if we had to complete the TOP 10 who would be the other two?

I'm gonna go with Tony Lazzeri and Bill Dickey.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Cy Young

Still the GOAT. Savor this season, gents.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    It seems like we have some disagreements about the exact order, which is to be expected, but most agree with the TOP 8 players, so my question is, if we had to complete the TOP 10 who would be the other two?

I'm gonna go with Tony Lazzeri and Bill Dickey.
    I'd go with Bill Dickey & Lefty Gomez.

17 years ago today Mariano recorded his first save

G O A T
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

NYYF MVP

Mariano has more saves than the Angels, Astros or Marlins have wins

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Mariano has more saves than the Angels, Astros or Marlins have wins
    At age 43.......... coming off an ACL injury. Ummm, yeah. Enough said.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

It really seems like he could pitch until well past 50. Amazing.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Nothing he does surprises me anymore.

I'm just not looking forward to life after him.

NYYF Legend

Jason Stark, ESPN, wrote an awesome on Mo - it's lengthy, but who's complaining?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...mariano-rivera
    When you're a 43-year-old baseball player, you're supposed to be raking your kids' Little League field.

Or working tirelessly to drive those par-5's in two.

Or keeping Curt Schilling and Mark Mulder company on the Baseball Tonight set.

Or ... you could be Mariano Rivera.

And be well on your way to going down in history as the greatest 43-year-old athlete in pretty much any sport.

We could go on. But you get the JPEG. This man is greatness personified. Still. So it's time to appreciate what we're watching here, because this isn't supposed to happen.

Not to men who are 43 years old.

And especially not to 43-year-olds who are pitching on a reconstructed knee, after missing nearly an entire season.

We've been through the annals of the four major professional sports. We've looked at everyone in modern times who played those sports at this age or older. What we've concluded is: This is pretty much impossible. And pretty much unprecedented.

Position players: Did you know there has never been a single position player Rivera's age who even had a season worth TWO Wins Above Replacement?

There's something that happens when Mariano Rivera just enters a game that very, very, very few people in sports have ever inspired:

That feeling that something special is taking place, and it's a privilege just to watch it.

It isn't only Yankees fans who feel it, either. It's the citizens of baseball. Almost all of them.
    "I'm going to relish every chance I get to see him pitch," one scout was saying last week. "I actually used to leave when he came in, because once you see him one time, you know you're never going to change your report. But this year, I stayed to the end every time and sat in traffic, because I want to relish every chance I get to watch him pitch."

The delivery. What will we remember about it when he's gone? The toe tap. The easy coil into the stretch. The left knee lifting to exactly the same spot, just north of the hip bone. The silky motion that takes him from stretch to release point in a millisecond. The perfect follow-through, everything pointing toward the target, nothing out of whack.

"To me, it's a reflection of who he is," the scout said. "You know how the old golfers used to talk about guys with great swings and easy actions? That holds true for him, too, I think. Easy and smooth. That's who he is. Those things go hand in hand when you're talking about the great ones."
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Jason Stark, ESPN, wrote an awesome on Mo - it's lengthy, but who's complaining?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/s...mariano-rivera
    I'm very glad that you linked that article. Great stuff.

I'm savoring every appearance that Mo makes this season. You know, lots of times the game is on and I've only got one eye on the TV screen while doing a couple of other things that need to get done. This season, when the Yankees have a save opportunity lead, it's appointment TV. I drop everything and watch intently.

I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like in the seasons to come. The Yankees will be like every other team in the game. We'll have closers that last a couple of seasons and then will be on the lookout for the next one.

We all know that Rivera's the greatest of all time. That's not in question and never will be. What's positively amazing is that at age 43, coming off a major injury/surgery, he is once again the best closer for THIS season, for 2013. Mind boggling. We Yankees' fans are so incredibly lucky.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I'm very glad that you linked that article. Great stuff.

I'm savoring every appearance that Mo makes this season. You know, lots of times the game is on and I've only got one eye on the TV screen while doing a couple of other things that need to get done. This season, when the Yankees have a save opportunity lead, it's appointment TV. I drop everything and watch intently.

I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like in the seasons to come. The Yankees will be like every other team in the game. We'll have closers that last a couple of seasons and then will be on the lookout for the next one.

We all know that Rivera's the greatest of all time. That's not in question and never will be. What's positively amazing is that at age 43, coming off a major injury/surgery, he is once again the best closer for THIS season, for 2013. Mind boggling. We Yankees' fans are so incredibly lucky.
    Wish I could know ahead of time when his last save will be so I can make sure to be there.

NYYF Triple Crown

"You get the JPEG"? Trying too hard, Jayson?
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

I'm crazy about Derek Jeter but you're 100% right. We haven't yet seen the player who could crack that inner circle of Yankee legends.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Damn, i'm really going to miss him.

Cy Young?
    or
    Cy Borg?

Both?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Postseason: 141 IP, 0.70 ERA.

These are the numbers that always get to me: in the most difficult part of the most important games of the year, facing the very best teams with their best hitters, he was practically unhittable. And that is a very large sample size for a pitcher. This is what sets him apart from every other player in history.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Wish I could know ahead of time when his last save will be so I can make sure to be there.
    There's about a 100% chance he pitches in the final home game. Are the tickets sold out for that?

NYYF MVP

Wonder how many fans will book it to Houston? Tickets should be aplenty.

Yankees61
    Postseason: 141 IP, 0.70 ERA.

These are the numbers that always get to me: in the most difficult part of the most important games of the year, facing the very best teams with their best hitters, he was practically unhittable. And that is a very large sample size for a pitcher. This is what sets him apart from every other player in history.

11 total runs scored against, vs. the men who have walked on the moon (12) -- sooooooo very fitting that men walking on the frickin MOON would be the closest (for lack of better words here) "comparable stat" when it comes to Mo.

Thread Information