+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 Yankees' Spring Training Discussion Thread

From the sim game front:

• Pettitte threw his first simulated game of the spring. He faced Matt Diaz and Francisco Arcia for two “innings” and reported no problems. In fact, Pettitte seems extremely optimistic. He said his next outing will probably be another simulated game, but he said he’s grown to actually like — and sometimes prefer — sim games instead of regular spring training games. ...

• Mariano Rivera also threw a simulated game, another one-inning outing, also against Diaz and Arcia. This was Rivera’s second sim game of the spring.

• Funny moment from this morning: Diaz broke a bat against Pettitte. “Damn you,” Diaz said as he walked away. “I only brought two, and Mariano hasn’t even thrown yet.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/03/0...rning-notes-2/

This would be even funnier, of course, if Mariano had then proceeded to break Diaz's other bat.

-tz, you and Eldee are royalty around here. Always posting the news, and formatting it so well. I (and probably we) can't thank you two enough!
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    -tz, you and Eldee are royalty around here. Always posting the news, and formatting it so well. I (and probably we) can't thank you two enough!
    Well said and I second that.

Diaz sounds like my kind of guy - dry sense of humor.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Cy Young

Not that spring training games mean anything (other than to George, who luckily won't see this record), and the injuries and WBC have taken their toll, but I see that the Yankees are last in the AL, at 3 - 10. Hopefully they will find a group of players to gel as a team by the beginning of the real season, or we won't be seeing too many games for Mo to save this year!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Not that spring training games mean anything (other than to George, who luckily won't see this record), and the injuries and WBC have taken their toll, but I see that the Yankees are last in the AL, at 3 - 10. Hopefully they will find a group of players to gel as a team by the beginning of the real season, or we won't be seeing too many games for Mo to save this year!

The Yankees have probably played fewer regulars than any other ML team this Spting. Also they have used more players with numbers in the 80's and 90's than any other team. I applaud their trying to see what the minors have to offer. I don't put much stock in ST records or in the first 10 games in cold and possibly snowy weather.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The Yankees have probably played fewer regulars than any other ML team this Spting. Also they have used more players with numbers in the 80's and 90's than any other team. I applaud their trying to see what the minors have to offer. I don't put much stock in ST records or in the first 10 games in cold and possibly snowy weather.

Andy
    I don't worry too much about ST records either. Except for the fact that it combines with a lineup that's loaded with holes, and injuries that further decimate an already problematic roster.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    I understand that Elias Sports Bureau has confirmed that the 2013 Yankees have set the record for the highest number of players with numbers above 70 in the history of ML spring training.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

This also shines a spotlight on the reality that those "internal options" Cashman is so fond of basically aren't very good.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

WOW Ramirez looked fantastic today

Great stuff- especially that change. Good composure. They said he's still working on his slider

He looks a lot closer than just having pitched in A ball

Could we see him before the end of the year?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Cy Young

I really hope so man. I'm starting to get tired of babying these guys along before they either A) get hurt or B) fall off a cliff performance wise. The guy looked like he could get legit major leaguers out today, he zipped through his 4 innings with ease. I don't expect him to come north with the big club but at least let the guy fly through each level if he keeps this up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I understand that Elias Sports Bureau has confirmed that the 2013 Yankees have set the record for the highest number of players with numbers above 70 in the history of ML spring training.
    If you ranked teams by adding up all the uniform numbers of the players in their games, the Yankees would be leading both the Grapefruit and the Cactus Leagues.

Boone Logan (elbow) will throw a bullpen session Sunday.

It's his first since he developed soreness in his pitching elbow a couple weeks ago. As long as he doesn't have a setback, Logan will have time to get ready for Opening Day.

Mar 10 - 8:36 AM

New Contender at Third?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...ender-at-third

During pregame warmups, he looks like a 5-foot-10, 210-pound bowling ball as he moves around third base, smiling and laughing with each movement on the diamond. His physical appearance belies a man who glides very comfortably around a ball field.

Being in his first spring training with the New York Yankees is not only failing to overwhelm Ronnier Mustelier, but he might be making his way up the depth chart and is now even under consideration to be the team’s Opening Day third baseman.

"We are going to look at him," Joe Girardi said of Mustelier, who is hitting .353 in 17 spring training at-bats.

Mustelier (pronounced Moose-TELL-ee-ay) is listed at age 28. He emigrated from Cuba to pursue his baseball dream while sacrificing to provide for his family.

When he left Cuba five years ago, his son was just born. Ronnier Jr. has never really met his father.

"It's a very difficult time, especially because I'm missing out on him growing up," Mustelier said earlier in the spring through a translator. "It's part of the sacrifice. I'm doing all of this specifically for him."

Mustelier is the wild card in the Yankees' plans without Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira. The Yankees basically know what type of production they will receive from Jayson Nix, Eduardo Nunez, Juan Rivera and Dan Johnson.

Mustelier, though, seems like a folk hero waiting to happen. With his roundish appearance to the joy he exudes, he appears like a guy that if he performed well in the Bronx would be a fan favorite.

For Mustelier, it is unimportant if he makes the team as third baseman or an outfielder. He just wants to be on the roster.

For Yankee officials, they have not been sure that Mustelier has a position. They had moved him to the outfield, believing that would be his best place to contribute on the major league level, but he points out he grew up at third.

"That is the position I played in Cuba," said Mustelier on Sunday, using Francisco Cervelli as his translator.

That is where Girardi is looking at Mustelier in the manager’s search for offense. If Mustelier can show he can play third, then his ability to be play two positions of need -- third base and left field -- could make him a guy that sticks.

Mustelier has heard the whispers that his position is nowhere. He says that is untrue. During Sunday 3-0 win over the Blue Jays, Mustelier played third.

He caught a pop-up and had no other chances. He struck out in his one at-bat.

No one questions if he can hit. From A-ball through to Triple-A, Mustelier has a .324 average and an .845 OPS in two seasons. Those type of numbers -- especially his .303 average and .815 OPS at Triple-A in 2012 -- translate to some success with the bat in the majors.

If he can stay on the team for the April Fool’s Opener against the Red Sox, he will be one of the most intriguing players to watch.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Well, its not like the team needs offense or anything.......

They should find a place for him.

He also showed some speed with that triple yesterday

http://www.examiner.com/article/yank...-of-retirement

Instead of new contender at third, how about new contender at first?

Also, could the Yanks' interest be a sign that Tex is headed for an even more extensive stay on the DL than initially thought?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ml...as-replacement

Yankees pursuing Derrek Lee as Mark Teixeira's replacement

By Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com

The Yankees have asked first baseman Derrek Lee if he would come out of retirement, and join the team as Mark Teixeira's replacement, according to David Waldstein of the New York Times.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has confirmed that the team has reached out to Lee.

Cashman added that he was "not optimistic" about Lee joining the team.

Cashman also suggested that the team would be interested in former Braves third baseman Chipper Jones if he were willing to come out of retirement.

Jones' agent doesn't believe his client would consider a return, according to the New York Post's Joel Sherman.

Lee is interested in the opportunity, but remains undecided, according to Waldstein. The 37-year-old Lee did not play in the majors last year. In 2011, he hit .267/.325/.446 in 447 plate appearances with the Orioles and the Pirates.

Teixeira strained his right wrist, and is expected to miss at least eight weeks. The team has attempted to use other options at first over the last few days. Juan Rivera played first in Sunday's spring training game, and Travis Hafner has been spotted at camp with a first baseman's glove.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

The Indians just released Ben Francisco. Cashman's next scrap heap candidate?
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...francisco.html
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

not really yankees related, but it's spring training related.... wish this would happen more:

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...87137414459392
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    You called it: http://www.examiner.com/article/yank...-ben-francisco

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tim2nyy View Post
    I wish I could promise tonight's lottery numbers but let's be honest, Cashman is in "throw as much as possible against the wall and see what sticks" mode. This was pretty easy to predict.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

One of the few positives of all the injuries is that it forces the org to give the farm extended looks and chances.

I like a lot of what I've seen so far.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    One of the few positives of all the injuries is that it forces the org to give the farm extended looks and chances.

I like a lot of what I've seen so far.

Especially some of the pitching- Ramirez and Nuno

Chipper Jones & his yellow teeth should stay retired.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Chipper Jones & his yellow teeth should stay retired.
    i was about to say that's messed up, but i googled it, and sure enough:

it's like he gargles with urine
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information