+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: Yankees Ticket Exchange

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    Well, there is someone who is shorting the market, looking to make a buck.

List on Stub Hub for $80, knowing there are listings on YTE for $40. If I sell the $80 phantom tickets, I buy the $40 tickets on YTE as instant download, then upload and deliver them on SH....

Quick profit with no capital outlay.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    Someone was doing this the other direction against my few listings at the end of March - shorting on YTE against my specific seats on SH. Had to be a pro/broker, as they didn't have to enter barcodes on YTE (had a note of tickets not in hand).

Was obvious. YTE had more seats for sale than exist in my row/section. Out of all games until end of May, only was for couple of games I listed on SH. Raised my price on SH for one game, YTE listing disappeared. Waited a day, lowered price and raised the other game. YTE short followed my actions (delete from YTE if my SH price went too high, re-list when I'd lower it).

Strange thing, shorting person being pro enough to not need to enter barcodes on YTE, it seemed like a stupid method to short. Both targeting an exact/specific listing on SH, and because my seats are a really poor relative choice (for delivering equivalent or better).

Well, there is someone who is shorting the market, looking to make a buck.

List on Stub Hub for $80, knowing there are listings on YTE for $40. If I sell the $80 phantom tickets, I buy the $40 tickets on YTE as instant download, then upload and deliver them on SH....

Quick profit with no capital outlay.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    possible, but the tickets on SH weren't even close to row 4. of course this would mean they could say "other arrangements were made" if someone popped for the Row 7 or Row 14 seats.

But I also did some poking around for any field levels on The Yankees regular ticket page from TM when I got a special for The Diamondback Series. There seemed to be more than half of those seats still available for the special $65 rate. Main levels are $35 and ther were PLENTY of those as well.
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Nice, it never occurred to me to arb the two markets but it seems like there might be some meat on the bone there. You just have to monitor the YTE listings very closely
    Couldn't possibly be worth someone's time to manage this. Perhaps its done by some kind of bot?

Quote Originally Posted by bl73 View Post
    Couldn't possibly be worth someone's time to manage this. Perhaps its done by some kind of bot?
    That's what I figure someone was doing against my listings. Randomly picked my seats to watch/attach to/whatever, then checked how their systems worked offering tix on the new/changed YTE versus what they were following on SH.

And my specific tickets just happened to be one of the SH listings they picked for their testing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYY_72 View Post
    That's what I figure someone was doing against my listings. Randomly picked my seats to watch/attach to/whatever, then checked how their systems worked offering tix on the new/changed YTE versus what they were following on SH.

And my specific tickets just happened to be one of the SH listings they picked for their testing.
    Any reason why you think it was just a test, and not a fully operational system?

Quote Originally Posted by bl73 View Post
    Any reason why you think it was just a test, and not a fully operational system?
    Well, testing an operational system, or whatever. Simply seemed a stupid method to actively operate something - if you were immediately attempting to make money.

You'd probably short a high(er) row in a section; then can replace with equivalent or better out of more inventory on SH or YTE. More to buy/cover with overall, better chance to find something cheaper, etc. This short was a low row in an almost 20 row section, and at a specific price break (first few rows have a higher face, this row and all behind have the same lower price). There were no cheaper offers in the first few rows as replacements, and our row was more expensive than things immediately behind. Far from any sweet spot for relative pricing; rather, almost the stupid spot - unless you wanted to track something you'd think would not sell.

My price was the highest in the row. I removed from SH; he removed from YTE. I raised price enough, he removed (didn't raise price to follow). I re-listed or re-lowered price; he was back. Tried this for multiple games. He only listed for the 3 games I had (not consecutively), out of everything until May 31. His prices on YTE were very high; about double the others in our row (on SH or YTE). He wasn't compressing the market by finding a "deal" on SH and listing barely higher on YTE, to try to basically arb any price differences and actually execute a sale. Was just flagging/following/responding to an exact listing - mine. Otherwise me changing/removing - why would he care - he still had other listings on SH he could execute against in the same row (at better prices anyways). If he was tracking more than me, not much reason to respond when the highest price in the market (me) disappears or changes - unless he's working on something.

Was clearly professional, since he didn't have to enter barcodes on YTE. So best guess is that he was testing how he'd track a specific SH listing and respond on YTE. My messing around with him validated this to me, and surely helped him test too. One big happy family...

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem with the YTE. I had posted a pair of my ticketed for sale and then I removed them because on of my friends said they were going to buy them. My friend had to cancel but when I try to list them again It wont allow me. On stubhub all you have to do is reactive them but on YTE it wont allow me to. I will call them later when I get out of work.

Well, testing an operational system, or whatever. Simply seemed a stupid method to actively operate something - if you were immediately attempting to make money.

You'd probably short a high(er) row in a section; then can replace with equivalent or better out of more inventory on SH or YTE. More to buy/cover with overall, better chance to find something cheaper, etc. This short was a low row in an almost 20 row section, and at a specific price break (first few rows have a higher face, this row and all behind have the same lower price). There were no cheaper offers in the first few rows as replacements, and our row was more expensive than things immediately behind. Far from any sweet spot for relative pricing; rather, almost the stupid spot - unless you wanted to track something you'd think would not sell.

My price was the highest in the row. I removed from SH; he removed from YTE. I raised price enough, he removed (didn't raise price to follow). I re-listed or re-lowered price; he was back. Tried this for multiple games. He only listed for the 3 games I had (not consecutively), out of everything until May 31. His prices on YTE were very high; about double the others in our row (on SH or YTE). He wasn't compressing the market by finding a "deal" on SH and listing barely higher on YTE, to try to basically arb any price differences and actually execute a sale. Was just flagging/following/responding to an exact listing - mine. Otherwise me changing/removing - why would he care - he still had other listings on SH he could execute against in the same row (at better prices anyways). If he was tracking more than me, not much reason to respond when the highest price in the market (me) disappears or changes - unless he's working on something.

Was clearly professional, since he didn't have to enter barcodes on YTE. So best guess is that he was testing how he'd track a specific SH listing and respond on YTE. My messing around with him validated this to me, and surely helped him test too. One big happy family...
    A couple of things-

1) It is not an automatic assumption that the StubHub buyer will accept replacement tickets, even if they are clearly in a lower row, better section, etc. The buyer can say no and or demand the exact seats that were purchased

2) Wouldnt just posting all of your listings on YTE and SH eliminate the situation where the bot is trying to arbitrage listings on SH vs listings on YTE? It has to be a bot- no possible way it would be worth the time and effort needed to do this manually

Quote Originally Posted by pacersyankees View Post

1) It is not an automatic assumption that the StubHub buyer will accept replacement tickets, even if they are clearly in a lower row, better section, etc. The buyer can say no and or demand the exact seats that were purchased
    I bought 2 seats on StubHub to Old Timers Day in 215 Row 9 and the seller delivered 215 Row 7. I was a bit surprised. Even though I bought them at face before the seller figured out it was OTD and the prices have jumped higher, why would a buyer say no and demand the exact seats?

A couple of things-

2) Wouldnt just posting all of your listings on YTE and SH eliminate the situation where the bot is trying to arbitrage listings on SH vs listings on YTE? It has to be a bot- no possible way it would be worth the time and effort needed to do this manually
    1A). Test was the other direction - he only listed on YTE, versus my SH. No idea about specific/exact YTE policies for equivalent/better replacement tickets. And if buyer doesn't accept, YTE might not penalize seller aside from losing the sale itself. Might also have different (easier) policies for pro sellers. No clue.

1B). Mentioned only that it's generally better for a short to have available inventory to provide equivalent/better, not that it was perfect. Simply provides more possible options - someone buys row 20, they might accept anything lower - someone buys row 2, there's less options/seats for seller to access. This is if he were actively trying to execute a sale on best price or similar.

1C). Test wasn't running risk of equivalent/better; was specifically tied to my seats. If/when/once mine were deleted (or I raised price enough) on SH - he deleted his YTE offer. Other listings remained (cheaper than mine had been) for the exact section/row/number of tickets. He had options which precisely matched the details of his YTE listing. Some games had multiple other exact options, others had none. Always specifically reacted to my actions, so wasn't tied to the overall inventory of exact options; if others remained available he didn't care (would delete his YTE), and if the game had only me as available on SH he'd still list against me.

2). Doubt it. Since he didn't need to provide barcodes on YTE, there was no limit to listings for the specific row. If every seat posted for sale, his additional listing at a higher price simply resulted in more tickets for sale than seats available. This is how I noticed it initially.

Was a test because he wasn't actively trying to arbitrage between systems. Just tossed a YTE offer at prices well above anything else on either market. Only way he sells is if someone pays more than all other options on YTE and SH, or buys the whole row including his phantom seats at once. That's my point of it being stupid if he were actively trying to execute a sale - so just a test. Also, was testing versus exact seats so he wouldn't risk supplying equivalent/better.

Probable goal is seeing all individual listings on SH. Find something cheap, precisely tie to that offer and list exactly on YTE. Put up much tighter prices than his test (10% higher instead of 100%), run no risk of supplying equivalent/better. If SH offer disappears, he deletes on YTE. Likely do this both directions (YTE to SH also). Since he's pro, also has lower commissions. Maybe no buying fees on SH, smaller selling on YTE, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I bought 2 seats on StubHub to Old Timers Day in 215 Row 9 and the seller delivered 215 Row 7. I was a bit surprised. Even though I bought them at face before the seller figured out it was OTD and the prices have jumped higher, why would a buyer say no and demand the exact seats?
    Small chance buyer was getting seats exactly next to what a friend already had.

Much bigger reason is because buyer gets a free option to keep or refuse tickets. If the market prices have declined between time of original purchase and receipt of tickets, you can simply reject replacements - get a refund - then go and buy something cheaper/better on SH (or anywhere else) once again. That free option the buyer receives from the seller obviously has value.

These people trying to arbitrage between YTE, SH and anything else ain't all that bad. Will bring prices more in line; if something's cheap on YTE and you're not looking, at least you'll see it only marginally more expensive on SH once the broker replicates the listing. Similar to what happens in financial markets.

My main issue is that it artificially inflates overall apparent inventory. Even if prices don't adjust, will appear to buyers as though more seats are available. That over-supply can obviously depress the market. Wouldn't matter if there were bids too (people posting prices they'd pay, which brokers could replicate the other direction). But without that, there's simply more and more appearing to be available for sale.

These people trying to arbitrage between YTE, SH and anything else ain't all that bad. Will bring prices more in line; if something's cheap on YTE and you're not looking, at least you'll see it only marginally more expensive on SH once the broker replicates the listing. Similar to what happens in financial markets.

My main issue is that it artificially inflates overall apparent inventory. Even if prices don't adjust, will appear to buyers as though more seats are available. That over-supply can obviously depress the market. Wouldn't matter if there were bids too (people posting prices they'd pay, which brokers could replicate the other direction). But without that, there's simply more and more appearing to be available for sale.
    Well, what grinds my gears is that crock Lonn Trost, who stated on the radio, that the main reason for the Yankees ditching StubHub was that people were able to list tickets without actually having them... Shorting them and lowering prices... Yet the test observed in the posts above this one shows that this happens to be true still to this day!

Meet the new boss... same as the old boss... Nothing has changed.

Cheers!
    -Doug

Well, what grinds my gears is that crock Lonn Trost, who stated on the radio, that the main reason for the Yankees ditching StubHub was that people were able to list tickets without actually having them... Shorting them and lowering prices... Yet the test observed in the posts above this one shows that this happens to be true still to this day!

Cheers!
    -Doug
    What I want to know is, Will the Yankees allow STHs to post tickets for sale next fall without bar codes or only allow ticket brokers?

If only ticket brokers, then the YTE was created for the ticket brokers to short sell at high prices in the offseason and then to buy at low prices from STHs after tickets are delivered in late March and NOT for the benefit of STHs as the front office claims. Otherwise, why the second class treatment of STHs?

Cheers!
    -Doug
    True, but there's about 5 sides to this coin.

1. Regardless of feelings about the front office, it's true people are shorting. We basically see stuff through a straw, without the full primary and secondary market data sitting nicely in front of us, so it's tough to find/tell. But I found that obvious short posted on YTE over multiple yet specific games against my seats.

2. These ticket marketplaces are relatively free markets, and with states lifting resale restrictions over the years - expect it's tough for a team (or anyone) to curtail shorting. If a short fails to deliver, they'll get penalized (rules of marketplace, SH or YTE or whatever). Which pros obviously manage and deal with. So if you're not exclusively validating barcodes to allow a listing in the first place, folk can toss anything out there. I offer my whole section at $9,999/seat - no one can stop me without requiring barcodes.

3. NYY made moving tickets more difficult on SH. This isn't a bad superficial idea for combating naked (listings without actual tickets) shorts. Makes acquiring replacement tickets difficult, the business model of shorting, etc. tougher. When a short buys tickets to cover his sale, when will they arrive? If not instant download, immediately gets tricky and less worth being involved. Obvious and terrible downside is that the NYY screw all customers (current ticket holders) in various ways by exposing them to ticket movement restrictions and similar (download only 48 hours before game and whatnot).

4. If YTE was truly some NYY exclusive thing, they might consider further limiting that - so some dude couldn't short my SH listings, for example. But YTE is simply ticketsnow, a secondary market (like razor-gator, others) that TM bought years ago. NYY and TM just enabled barcode transfer for NYY games; otherwise only another market site. To make things more automated/reliable/marketable/whatever, they require entering barcodes for retail folk to list. But ticketsnow has relationships with all the brokers, who don't have to enter barcodes (and other latitude). As long as brokers have those extra abilities, any of them can short, try to arbitrage versus other markets, etc. as they wish.

5. Along same lines, anyone can short on SH. NYY have no relationship. New team policies regarding ticket transferability does hurt people who want to short, but anyone can still try it.

New automated/bot/whatever observation of the day. Someone's listing tickets in Legends row 10 for the next two home series on SH. Most games, usually in sections 23, 17A and 15A. Also Champions 11. There are only 9 rows in any Legends/Champions sections. It's not a single mistake. Prices (as with the test against me) are higher than others in lower rows of the same sections. Interestingly, sometimes there is no cover for these row 10 listings - nothing available on SH or YTE in lower rows. I didn't fully search out each of these versus YTE, but did see an instance where rows 7,8,9 were offered on YTE - and rows 8,9,10 were on SH. So maybe the bot is off by one row. These all appeared on SH in the past 24 hours, for the next six games only. They also have later delivery times than retail folk; UPS cuts off at a later time for pros, electronic also. Makes sense; brokers are staffed to respond/deliver at any time, move much more revenue, etc. But indicative of someone professional doing this.

Sorry for the novels - just tossing stuff out in case folk are curious, and guessing it couldn't hurt if someone from the team is reading - customer knowledge, happiness, whatever. Again, this wouldn't be as material if there were bids too (a SH site where buyers could post what they'd pay) - so that would emulate a financial market - but in this case, it only shows more tickets available for sale everywhere. Actual tickets, plus any bot that lists more offers versus the actual tickets.

Team doesn't want this (shorts anywhere). While a small secondary market with all listings at double face would be nice for them - their first goal is to find buyers who use everything. Leave nothing available outside their primary sales. And at least so far, even if there might not be more actual secondary sales on SH or YTE - there are a lot less available. 2,000 - 4,000 per game, versus 10,000 last year. This restricting availability to achieve brand-preservation game might work out to some small extent over the year. Everyone's watching...

And at least so far, even if there might not be more actual secondary sales on SH or YTE - there are a lot less available. 2,000 - 4,000 per game, versus 10,000 last year. This restricting availability to achieve brand-preservation game might work out to some small extent over the year. Everyone's watching...
    Well, there are less listings for secondary sales because there are less primary sales.
    I can go on ticketmaster or go to the box office and buy tickets in just about any price category for just about any game. The Yankees have so pissed off everyone that tickets are not being bought in the first place. They solved their problem of $3 tickets on ticketmaster by not selling that ticket for $20+ in the first place to the guy trying to unload it on StubHub.
    Lonn and Randy have outsmarted themselves!

What I want to know is, Will the Yankees allow STHs to post tickets for sale next fall without bar codes or only allow ticket brokers?

If only ticket brokers, then the YTE was created for the ticket brokers to short sell at high prices in the offseason and then to buy at low prices from STHs after tickets are delivered in late March and NOT for the benefit of STHs as the front office claims. Otherwise, why the second class treatment of STHs?
    YTE is only the ticketsnows page for the Yankees. They have pages for all other teams; set up barcode validation for NYY and Angels this year.

All these sites give preferential treatment to brokers, which is sensible and frustrating. Some broker delivers $10k/day of tickets through the site, they get more latitude/trust than someone selling a couple of NYY games. Site has more confidence with them, bigger business relationship, whatever. A broker using YTE (again, just the NYY page of ticketsnow) is likely selling tons per day through ticketsnow overall (other teams, concerts, whatever).

So YTE always basically existed. NYY enabled barcode transfer/validation (what SH has with almost all other teams) - to give retail STH that ability. Of course, STH had that ability before with SH. And NYY set up the deal that STH only get charged 5% to sell (at least for now) to try to further compensate and encourage STH usage of YTE.

NYY are not trying to set up some venue whereby brokers can acquire tickets from regular STH or otherwise screw such folk. NYY are just screwing STH by placing restrictions on them which hurts everyone trying to sell tickets; such folk are collateral damage at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LHG39 View Post
    Well, there are less listings for secondary sales because there are less primary sales.
    I can go on ticketmaster or go to the box office and buy tickets in just about any price category for just about any game. The Yankees have so pissed off everyone that tickets are not being bought in the first place. They solved their problem of $3 tickets on ticketmaster by not selling that ticket for $20+ in the first place to the guy trying to unload it on StubHub.
    Lonn and Randy have outsmarted themselves!
    Agreed. And this is the evolution to watch. All games, tons of tickets available in the primary market. Some games on SH have lots cheaper in same areas, but others do not. This Saturday is pretty tight. So you could buy from NYY direct, with lots available, at the individual game price. Or buy on SH, without much available, at roughly equivalent (just for babbling purposes). But some of those SH are full STH, that maybe paid 65-80% of the direct from team cost.

You could buy field infield direct from team's huge primary inventory on TM at 185/ea with fees. Or a STH that paid 120/ea can list all-in price for buyers on SH at 170/ea. After 10% buyer fee, and 15% seller fee, seller gets 130/ea. Buyer still gets cheaper than primary, with maybe better seat choices, and seller gets more than cost.

So there's a ton of primary seats available anyone can buy, but less on secondary and with better potential maybe (we'll see) for STH sellers to cover costs. Maybe nothing sells, 10K+ remain on primary unsold. But with less primary sales and more difficulty with selling, less cheap inventory will be around (notwithstanding MC deals and similar). Game in progress...

True, but there's about 5 sides to this coin.

1. Regardless of feelings about the front office, it's true people are shorting. We basically see stuff through a straw, without the full primary and secondary market data sitting nicely in front of us, so it's tough to find/tell. But I found that obvious short posted on YTE over multiple yet specific games against my seats.

2. These ticket marketplaces are relatively free markets, and with states lifting resale restrictions over the years - expect it's tough for a team (or anyone) to curtail shorting. If a short fails to deliver, they'll get penalized (rules of marketplace, SH or YTE or whatever). Which pros obviously manage and deal with. So if you're not exclusively validating barcodes to allow a listing in the first place, folk can toss anything out there. I offer my whole section at $9,999/seat - no one can stop me without requiring barcodes.

3. NYY made moving tickets more difficult on SH. This isn't a bad superficial idea for combating naked (listings without actual tickets) shorts. Makes acquiring replacement tickets difficult, the business model of shorting, etc. tougher. When a short buys tickets to cover his sale, when will they arrive? If not instant download, immediately gets tricky and less worth being involved. Obvious and terrible downside is that the NYY screw all customers (current ticket holders) in various ways by exposing them to ticket movement restrictions and similar (download only 48 hours before game and whatnot).

4. If YTE was truly some NYY exclusive thing, they might consider further limiting that - so some dude couldn't short my SH listings, for example. But YTE is simply ticketsnow, a secondary market (like razor-gator, others) that TM bought years ago. NYY and TM just enabled barcode transfer for NYY games; otherwise only another market site. To make things more automated/reliable/marketable/whatever, they require entering barcodes for retail folk to list. But ticketsnow has relationships with all the brokers, who don't have to enter barcodes (and other latitude). As long as brokers have those extra abilities, any of them can short, try to arbitrage versus other markets, etc. as they wish.

5. Along same lines, anyone can short on SH. NYY have no relationship. New team policies regarding ticket transferability does hurt people who want to short, but anyone can still try it.

New automated/bot/whatever observation of the day. Someone's listing tickets in Legends row 10 for the next two home series on SH. Most games, usually in sections 23, 17A and 15A. Also Champions 11. There are only 9 rows in any Legends/Champions sections. It's not a single mistake. Prices (as with the test against me) are higher than others in lower rows of the same sections. Interestingly, sometimes there is no cover for these row 10 listings - nothing available on SH or YTE in lower rows. I didn't fully search out each of these versus YTE, but did see an instance where rows 7,8,9 were offered on YTE - and rows 8,9,10 were on SH. So maybe the bot is off by one row. These all appeared on SH in the past 24 hours, for the next six games only. They also have later delivery times than retail folk; UPS cuts off at a later time for pros, electronic also. Makes sense; brokers are staffed to respond/deliver at any time, move much more revenue, etc. But indicative of someone professional doing this.

Sorry for the novels - just tossing stuff out in case folk are curious, and guessing it couldn't hurt if someone from the team is reading - customer knowledge, happiness, whatever. Again, this wouldn't be as material if there were bids too (a SH site where buyers could post what they'd pay) - so that would emulate a financial market - but in this case, it only shows more tickets available for sale everywhere. Actual tickets, plus any bot that lists more offers versus the actual tickets.

Team doesn't want this (shorts anywhere). While a small secondary market with all listings at double face would be nice for them - their first goal is to find buyers who use everything. Leave nothing available outside their primary sales. And at least so far, even if there might not be more actual secondary sales on SH or YTE - there are a lot less available. 2,000 - 4,000 per game, versus 10,000 last year. This restricting availability to achieve brand-preservation game might work out to some small extent over the year. Everyone's watching...
    Since when did buying tickets to a baseball game become as complex/confusing as purchasing a derivative contract

NYYF Cy Young

Since when did buying tickets to a baseball game become as complex/confusing as purchasing a derivative contract
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I bought OD, Calendar day and Mo's last game from the Yankees. And that's all I am going to buy as long at this is they way things are done. I will watch on TV or find other things to do.

Exactly.

And more Legends trickery today; the fake/phantom/whatever row 10 listings are now appearing for section 26 also.

Funny you talk about rows that don't exist in Champions. I saw a pair in Champions for Friday section 11 row 28 for $101ech including fees earlier this week. I bought them figuring the person made a mistake and prob. meant section 111 but figured maybe I would actually get a pair in champions for that price. Last night got the call that the guy "didn't have the tickets anymore" and they would have to cancel the sale. Stubhub refunded all my money and gave me a fancode for half my purchase price $101. Awesome. Big difference from when my order got cancelled on YTE for Mos last game and I got nothing.

I prefer to be out of the sun/rain and like being under an overhang. If I bought a row under an overhang and was given a lower row in the sun, even though technically a better seat, I would decline that seat if possible.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    I prefer to be out of the sun/rain and like being under an overhang. If I bought a row under an overhang and was given a lower row in the sun, even though technically a better seat, I would decline that seat if possible.
    On the right field side, even row 7 should be in the shade. Both rows 7 and 9 are not under the overhang so wouldn't help with rain, either... row 15 is about where that begins.

NYYF Cy Young

As bad as the Astros are, the Marlins might be worse. Also, the pirates have a team OPS+ of 24

Thread Information