+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: King Felix signs 7/175 extension

Win a world series and get 300 wins...going out on a limb and saying these are things Felix will never do unless he is traded.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Bert Blyleven, Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden and Vida Blue. Apparently Buster Olney counts a little differently than the rest of us do.

Frank Tanana is only 5 IP behind.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/9pN6Z
    Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Fernando might be a wink-wink nudge-nudge under 27.
    That may well be true. But if it is, he probably pitched a lot of innings in Mexico that we don't know about, which would put him back on the list anyway.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    Win a world series and get 300 wins...going out on a limb and saying these are things Felix will never do unless he is traded.
    totally agree with you.

I was hoping he'll wear pinstripe....

Maybe Verlander.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    Winning 300 games is never easy so it's a good bet against that. But his wins total actually is a on par with CC at 26 and better than lots of 300 wins pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    It's gonna be a damn shame watching him waste his career in Seattle, but good for Felix.
    not a fair statement. I know you want him here but that franchise is trying to turn around, little by little, and in a few years they will have a rotation that rivals Washington. They needed to start somewhere and what better way than to sign your face and franchise player. I'm happy for Felix and good for the Mariners for stepping up. They forfeited two years of much much less money to do this. Why would they if they weren't serious? I wouldn't say he'll waste away there. He's a pleasure to watch and HOF bound most likely. Now he's being paid. No matter what happens he will certainly not be wasted.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Breaking news from rotoworld:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that concern over Felix Hernandez's pitching elbow might affect the contract extension he agreed to last week.

Well, that certainly came out of nowhere. It was reported last week that King Felix and the Mariners had a deal in place that would pay him a total of $175 million over the next seven seasons, but evidently a physical he took raised a red flag about an elbow issue. It's not clear at this point whether the extension will be reworked or scrapped altogether, nor is it clear whether the ailment might be serious enough to affect his availability for the start of the season.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN One option for the Mariners/Felix is to work in protective language addressing elbow issue, as NYY did with Sabathia/shoulder. We'll see.

Wow that's out of the blue. I expected it to happen to him eventually but not for another 2 or 3 years. He's an innings monster, arm or shoulder trouble was inevitable.

NYYF Legend

With these kind of long-term deals, especially for pitchers, you'd think that teams would have some kind of clause to protect themselves written in automatically. Even younger guys with no prior history of problems have no guarantee they'll always be relatively injury-free.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    not a fair statement. I know you want him here but that franchise is trying to turn around, little by little, and in a few years they will have a rotation that rivals Washington. They needed to start somewhere and what better way than to sign your face and franchise player. I'm happy for Felix and good for the Mariners for stepping up. They forfeited two years of much much less money to do this. Why would they if they weren't serious? I wouldn't say he'll waste away there. He's a pleasure to watch and HOF bound most likely. Now he's being paid. No matter what happens he will certainly not be wasted.
    It isn't even about him coming to NY, it's about watching the best waste away there career playing for garbage. I want to see Felix in the postseason, I want to see Felix pitching meaningful games so people can understand just how good this guy is.

Games in April have meaning.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

It isn't even about him coming to NY, it's about watching the best waste away there career playing for garbage. I want to see Felix in the postseason, I want to see Felix pitching meaningful games so people can understand just how good this guy is.
    it's not fair to just dismiss Seattle as if they are never going to be good. Teams are changing and the league is getting a lot of parity regardless of payroll. Look at Oakland and Pittsburgh. KC is also getting better as their stars come up to the big show. Seattle has a hell of a pitching staff coming up soon.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avstars View Post
    I was hoping he'll wear pinstripe....

Maybe Verlander.
    I'm tired of the Yankees getting pitchers on their 3rd contract ensuring we have them for their decline. As prolific as Verlander is, I don't want him for his age 32-37 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I'm tired of the Yankees getting pitchers on their 3rd contract ensuring we have them for their decline. As prolific as Verlander is, I don't want him for his age 32-37 seasons.
    I guess you didn't like CC's extension then?
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

I didn't mind it. I'm glad CC made staying with the Yankees a priority.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I didn't mind it. I'm glad CC made staying with the Yankees a priority.
    Me too, and I'd be equally as happy if they could sign Verlander through the same ages

NYYF Legend

Oakland was picked to finish 4th in the West last year by most experts and they were a G5 win v Verlander or a Coco Crisp caught ball in G3 away from the ALCS last year.

With 10 teams making the playoffs each year and Seattle having some money to spend it would be short sighted to think Seattle won't make the playoffs during Felix' contract.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    I guess you didn't like CC's extension then?
    I am personally opposed to any deal where a player can opt out in the middle because it has no benefit to the team at all.

NYYF MVP

it's not fair to just dismiss Seattle as if they are never going to be good. Teams are changing and the league is getting a lot of parity regardless of payroll. Look at Oakland and Pittsburgh. KC is also getting better as their stars come up to the big show. Seattle has a hell of a pitching staff coming up soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Oakland was picked to finish 4th in the West last year by most experts and they were a G5 win v Verlander or a Coco Crisp caught ball in G3 away from the ALCS last year.

With 10 teams making the playoffs each year and Seattle having some money to spend it would be short sighted to think Seattle won't make the playoffs during Felix' contract.
    Seattle teams wins since Felix came up in 2005.

88 (O's like fluke)

Color me skeptical.

No, I color you unfair. You're dismissing a major league franchise and its fanbase because they locked up their superstar as a step in progress. His career will not be wasted. He's nationally known and a celebrity in baseball. Cy Young, perfect game, and arguably one of the best IN the game. Every baseball fan knows this. Nothing is wasted. Citing previous records doesn't mean anything. The team is changing, moving forward. It takes time and they have 7 years to get him in the post season to see him shine.

You need to start somewhere. What better way to start. After changing dimensions that is.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I am personally opposed to any deal where a player can opt out in the middle because it has no benefit to the team at all.
    I'd agree in principle, but the context was that the Yanks HAD to sign CC that offseason. Imagine if they didn't get him- he's been exactly what the team has needed

I guess the benefit was that it got CC to sign here and I'm glad the opt was never a factor- only to get him an extension

NYYF MVP

No, I color you unfair. You're dismissing a major league franchise and its fanbase because they locked up their superstar as a step in progress. His career will not be wasted. He's nationally known and a celebrity in baseball. Cy Young, perfect game, and arguably one of the best IN the game. Every baseball fan knows this. Nothing is wasted. Citing previous records doesn't mean anything. The team is changing, moving forward. It takes time and they have 7 years to get him in the post season to see him shine.

You need to start somewhere. What better way to start. After changing dimensions that is.
    Well if they continue making smart moves like trading Jaso for Morse, signing Figgins, trading Cliff Lee for ................ and countless other fantastic moves in a tough-ass division. Watch out baseball, the M's are coming!!!!

It's more about what's within the team's farm system than anything else. Also, if they want to lure other players to Seattle they need to have a franchise player. Can't think of many that are better than an ace who is a beast.

Thread Information