+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: MLB.TV vs. MLB Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    MLBTV, especially since you live in RI and arent subject to local blackout. Also I believe for 2013 I read somewhere that they will allow FOX national broadcast games to appear on MLBTV so it makes it even more mobile
    Man I really hope that is true, I'm sick of getting Saturday Phillies games on FOX and getting blacked out of Yankees games.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Man I really hope that is true, I'm sick of getting Saturday Phillies games on FOX and getting blacked out of Yankees games.
    I get MLV.TV specifically to watch the Yankees on the Ipad, either when I'm outside enjoying the day or watching in bed while my wife watches something on the TV or to just have on my desk next to the computer. It is great to have a mobile option

I never watch other teams. not enough time

I am in-market for Yes, but easy enough to circumvent once you jailbreak your device and spoof your location

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

MLB.tv is great. the one bad thing is the blackout restrictions, but it wont apply to you. if anything, you can try it out for a month, and if you don't like it then you can cancel your monthly subscription. if you do like it, but it for the full season to get the best deal.

FYI- last year i'm pretty sure spring training was all free on MLB.tv, so that can be your test.

EDIT: get premium for 129.99 for the season, it includes the app.
    also, MLB.tv doesnt include the postseason.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

I usually just get both. But id go with the mlb.tv if you have a excellent internet connection

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Ah, that's the part I was missing. I was actually considering switching to DirectTV, primarily for Sunday Ticket but being able to get YES was intriguing too. Kind of lame to offer YES out of market, but not include the games themselves. Is that an MLB thing or a Yankees thing? How can teams like the Cubs broadcast games nationally out-of-market on a basic cable channel, yet the Yankees can't on a cable network?
    My guess is that it is an MLB thing. As for the Cubs, I don't believe their games on WGN America are also on EI (similarly, the Braves games on TBS). Cubs games broadcast on the local cable channel, Comcast SportsNet, on the other hand, do go to EI.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

are there usually price promotions for either?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    With EI on Directv, they have an "early bird" special where the price is less if you sign up before the season begins. I believe the savings is about $20. I don't know if this offer is available on other providers. I think MLB.TV has a similar early bird offer but someone else might be able to confirm.

Heidi

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    With EI on Directv, they have an "early bird" special where the price is less if you sign up before the season begins. I believe the savings is about $20. I don't know if this offer is available on other providers. I think MLB.TV has a similar early bird offer but someone else might be able to confirm.

Heidi
    Last year for Father's Day MLB.TV Premium was offered for $49.99 for the rest of the season as a promotion. That's a good deal if you don't mind missing all of April and May and most of June's games. (Probably 65-70 games.)

http://clipandfollow.com/mlb-tv-give...or-only-49-99/#_

I don't know if they willl repeat the offer this year.

They repeated the offer for the same price on August 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    My local cable provider has had an early bird special for several years running.

I have heard that given the competition some folks have had some success calling their providers, claiming they are considering an alternative, and negotiating credits to their accounts to offset the cost of the package.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I have heard that given the competition some folks have had some success calling their providers, claiming they are considering an alternative, and negotiating credits to their accounts to offset the cost of the package.
    I've done that with Directv for the last few years. As I posted earlier, they can't do anything about the cost of EI since it is set by MLB, but they've credited my account $10 a month for 6 months. That brings the cost of EI in line with MLB.TV.

Heidi

I just call em every year and threaten to leave, always works in my favor.
    Lets Go Yankees

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I decided to get the MLB.TV premium for this year. I can throw a game on the iphone and watch/listen while I'm at work.

Sheesh, looks like once again I won't be able to watch any ST games on my TV via an LG blu ray player

Works fine on the puter and phone and tablet, but I really prefer the TV and don't want to use up that much of my date allotment

Sucks
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

hey stupid question guys, with EI do you get both broadcasts available or just the home team???
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    hey stupid question guys, with EI do you get both broadcasts available or just the home team???

With DirectTv you get both broadcasts.

Forum Regular

I just subscribed to MLBTV premium. I am giving it a shot to see how it works on my TV. I will mainly use it on TV since I don't have internet on my phone.

I have a 10MBPS internet connection so I am not sure it is fast enough to support this type of streaming feed. I am trying to watch a game now and it keeps stopping and locking up. I am connected using a Samsung Blu Ray player.

NYYF Legend

For the last 5 years, I have had EI on DirecTV, and it really is great. You get a HD game for both home and away broadcasts. Last year, it cost $210. However, this year, I dumped DirecTV for the local cable package because I got a deal from Charter that DirecTV couldn't touch. I was faced with the choice of EI on Charter, or mlb.tv.

The EI games on Charter are not in HD, and you only get one feed of the game so I wouldn't always get the NESN feed. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but after watching in HD for the past 5 years, I have no desire to watch games in standard definition.

So, I went with mlb.tv premium. It costs $80 less than I paid DirecTV for EI last year, and I love that I can watch on my iphone, iPad, Kindle Fire, etc. There are a lot of in-game features on mlb.tv that are not available on EI, like in-game stats, and you can overlay the radio broadcast over the TV picture. Every game of the season is archived and you can watch it at anytime. It's not a perfect solution, but it's pretty good. I can watch downstairs on the TV in the living room because that's got a Roku player, but the upstairs TV in the bedroom is a Vizio with internet apps and mlb.tv is not available on that TV. Additionally, while I was impressed with the HD streaming video today, when the action starts to move it's not quite as crystal clear as cable or DirecTV. It's pretty darn good, though, and better than watching EI in standard definition, so I made the right decision. I just have to figure out how to get it on the TV in the bedroom without buying another Roku player or Apple TV. It's also on Playstation 3 and XBOX 360, but I own neither of those.

One other thing...I am pretty sure that once you buy EI, you are stuck with it for the season, but I think you can cancel mlb.tv if it doesn't work for you or isn't what you expected and get a pro-rated refund.

I had mlb.tv for 5 years from 2003-07 when I lived in another town, and it is MUCH better now than it was in those days. The only thing they haven't made progress with is the annoying screen when a commercial is on.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    For the last 5 years, I have had EI on DirecTV, and it really is great. You get a HD game for both home and away broadcasts. Last year, it cost $210. However, this year, I dumped DirecTV for the local cable package because I got a deal from Charter that DirecTV couldn't touch. I was faced with the choice of EI on Charter, or mlb.tv.

The EI games on Charter are not in HD, and you only get one feed of the game so I wouldn't always get the NESN feed. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but after watching in HD for the past 5 years, I have no desire to watch games in standard definition.

So, I went with mlb.tv premium. It costs $80 less than I paid DirecTV for EI last year, and I love that I can watch on my iphone, iPad, Kindle Fire, etc. There are a lot of in-game features on mlb.tv that are not available on EI, like in-game stats, and you can overlay the radio broadcast over the TV picture. Every game of the season is archived and you can watch it at anytime. It's not a perfect solution, but it's pretty good. I can watch downstairs on the TV in the living room because that's got a Roku player, but the upstairs TV in the bedroom is a Vizio with internet apps and mlb.tv is not available on that TV. Additionally, while I was impressed with the HD streaming video today, when the action starts to move it's not quite as crystal clear as cable or DirecTV. It's pretty darn good, though, and better than watching EI in standard definition, so I made the right decision. I just have to figure out how to get it on the TV in the bedroom without buying another Roku player or Apple TV. It's also on Playstation 3 and XBOX 360, but I own neither of those.

One other thing...I am pretty sure that once you buy EI, you are stuck with it for the season, but I think you can cancel mlb.tv if it doesn't work for you or isn't what you expected and get a pro-rated refund.

I had mlb.tv for 5 years from 2003-07 when I lived in another town, and it is MUCH better now than it was in those days. The only thing they haven't made progress with is the annoying screen when a commercial is on.

If you have an iPad you should be able to connect it to your TV (Apple sells an HDMI adaptor for the iPad) and mirror your iPad on your TV in your bedroom.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

all you need to do is run the HDMI cable from the iPad to the TV and select that input? If so, that is great to know, and thanks for that information!

NYYF Legend

all you need to do is run the HDMI cable from the iPad to the TV and select that input? If so, that is great to know, and thanks for that information!
    Yeah but you need a special adaptor to be able to connect your iPad to an HDMI cable. They sell them on the Apple web site. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty straightforward.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    I just subscribed to MLBTV premium. I am giving it a shot to see how it works on my TV. I will mainly use it on TV since I don't have internet on my phone.

I have a 10MBPS internet connection so I am not sure it is fast enough to support this type of streaming feed. I am trying to watch a game now and it keeps stopping and locking up. I am connected using a Samsung Blu Ray player.

I have been experimenting all night using MLBTV. I hooked my computer up to the TV using an HDMI cable and the picture is good about 95% of my regular fed from DirectTV. I was watching 4 games at once from last September. I figure if I keep MLBTV I will hook my computer up to the TV when games are on so I can watch more than 1 at a time. The only downside is that it does not take up the full screen of the TV.

I am using the MLBTV App that came with the Samsung Blue-Ray player and are watching the A's vs. Tigers ALDS game from last year. The picture is probably better then when it was connected with the computer but it seems to stop every now and then.

I want to see how it plays with a live game to see if there is any difference in the video quality and jerkiness of the picture. Does anyone notice a difference from when they watch an archive to a live game?

Forum Regular

Hook a laptop or desk top up to the TV with an HDMI.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yeah but you need a special adaptor to be able to connect your iPad to an HDMI cable. They sell them on the Apple web site. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty straightforward.
    Thanks, Nelson. I bought a mini-HDMI cable and ran it directly from my Kindle Fire HD to the side HDMI input of the Vizio TV and it works fine. This is an acceptable solution as I would normally watch the game downstairs but for extra innings/West Coast games, it's nice to have the bedroom TV on.

Addicted Member

At the MLB.TV forum, it appears ST games are not yet available for viewing on Samsung and other TVs because an update is needed and it isn't available yet.

Per the forum admin, "Spring Training games are currently available on PC, Mac, Roku, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and select Android phones and tablets. All other devices require an update that is coming soon to enable games for the 2013 season."

I asked them what the heck the program developers were doing in the off season? Obviously, they weren't working on the upgrade. It's frustrating how they hype the package all off season and then can't deliver it on time.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    At the MLB.TV forum, it appears ST games are not yet available for viewing on Samsung and other TVs because an update is needed and it isn't available yet.

Per the forum admin, "Spring Training games are currently available on PC, Mac, Roku, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and select Android phones and tablets. All other devices require an update that is coming soon to enable games for the 2013 season."

I asked them what the heck the program developers were doing in the off season? Obviously, they weren't working on the upgrade. It's frustrating how they hype the package all off season and then can't deliver it on time.
    I watched the Red Sox last night on MLB.TV via my Samsung Blue Ray player . . .

Thread Information