+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MLB.TV vs. MLB Extra Innings

I know this question has been asked before in years past and I figured rather than dig up an old thread, I'd post a new one.

I have been a subscriber to Extra Innings (here in RI) for the last 4 years or so, but last year I upgraded my TV to a 46 inch HD, yet all the games via Extra Innings come through in standard format. Additionally, with MLB Network picking up steam a lot of the Yankee games seemed to be on TV.

Anyways, I got the email today from MLB about MLB.TV and it seemed to be cheaper and have more to offer, giving me the ability to watch on a laptop during travels or even streaming via PS3, in HD over my new TV.

So the question is, does anyone else subscribe to MLB.TV or has anyone recently switched one way or another and have any opinions on the topic.

Thanks in advance....also Mods can delete this or move if there is already a topic.
    GO YANKEES

Re: MLB.TV vs. MLB Extra Innings

Quote Originally Posted by RI Dawg View Post
    I know this question has been asked before in years past and I figured rather than dig up an old thread, I'd post a new one.

I have been a subscriber to Extra Innings (here in RI) for the last 4 years or so, but last year I upgraded my TV to a 46 inch HD, yet all the games via Extra Innings come through in standard format. Additionally, with MLB Network picking up steam a lot of the Yankee games seemed to be on TV.

Anyways, I got the email today from MLB about MLB.TV and it seemed to be cheaper and have more to offer, giving me the ability to watch on a laptop during travels or even streaming via PS3, in HD over my new TV.

So the question is, does anyone else subscribe to MLB.TV or has anyone recently switched one way or another and have any opinions on the topic.

Thanks in advance....also Mods can delete this or move if there is already a topic.
    I've been an EI customer for years. Last year I tried out MLB.TV and was very impressed. I like the mobility aspect of it. I like that I can pick whichever feed I want. The streaming quality is pretty reliable - even over 3G last year I had few stops/stutters. And as you mention, it's more cost effective.

You should make this a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I've been an EI customer for years. Last year I tried out MLB.TV and was very impressed. I like the mobility aspect of it. I like that I can pick whichever feed I want. The streaming quality is pretty reliable - even over 3G last year I had few stops/stutters. And as you mention, it's more cost effective.

You should make this a poll.
    Thanks for the response, not sure how to make a poll though
    GO YANKEES

I switched to MLBTV and love it. You can take it any where, choose your broadcast and you get highlights and stats.

I have a lot of pet peeves about EI, the main on being they go right off the air. They really should stick with a post game

NYYF Legend

I've thought about getting MLB.TV after my sister switched a few years ago. She too loves the portability of it. The thing that always brings me back to EI though is the fact that with Directv I have YES and can TiVo the pre-game, the game, and the post game and then zip through at my leisure. And EI on Directv always has the Yankees feed (years ago they only showed the home team's feed).

Another reason I haven't switched is that I also often use my laptop as I'm watching the game on TV and can keep up with the action by just looking up. I don't want to miss anything by having the game minimized while I'm on another web page. I know the game can be rewound, but it just seems like I'd be tying up my laptop while the game is on.

There is a significant cost difference (last year EI was something like $60 more, IIRC). But I called Directv and told them I was going to switch to MLB.TV unless they could do something about the cost. Now they couldn't reduce the cost of EI as that price is set by MLB, but they did credit my account $10 a month for 6 months, so the cost was brought in line with MLB.TV. If Directv doesn't do that this year, I may finally make the switch.

Heidi
    Last edited by MunsonNY15; 02-08-13 at 10:05 PM.
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Cy Young

There's really no reason to pick EI over MLB TV anymore, it's light years better. I made the switch a few years ago and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    I've thought about getting MLB.TV after my sister switched a few years ago. She too loves the portability of it. The thing that always brings me back to EI though is the fact that with Directv I have YES and can TiVo the pre-game, the game, and the post game and then zip through at my leisure. And EI on Directv always has the Yankees feed (years ago they only showed the home team's feed).

Another reason I haven't switched is that I also often use my laptop as I'm watching the game on TV and can keep up with the action by just looking up. I don't want to miss anything by having the game minimized while I'm on another web page. I know the game can be rewound, but it just seems like I'd be tying up my laptop while the game is on.

There is a significant cost difference (last year EI was something like $60 more, IIRC). But I called Directv and told them I was going to switch to MLB.TV unless they could do something about the cost. Now they couldn't reduce the cost of EI as that price is set by MLB, but they did credit my account $10 a month for 6 months, so the cost was brought in line with MLB.TV. If Directv doesn't do that this year, I may finally make the switch.

Heidi
    curious... The reference to YES confused me a bit. Do you only watch the Yankees? If so, why get EI or MLB.tv at all? Aren't there solutions (sling box?) that would allow you to watch YES remotely without paying for EI or MLB.tv?

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    There's really no reason to pick EI over MLB TV anymore, it's light years better. I made the switch a few years ago and never looked back.
    I hesitated due to picture quality and lagging, but last year I used both and was amazed at the quality and reliability of MLB.tv. So I'm a convert.

NYYF Legend

mlb.tv is the way to go. If you live out of mark

- cheaper
    - take it anywhere
    - you can choose between broadcasts (mlb tv sometimes onlyu carries one feed so you listen to the other team and it kinda sucks).

NYYF Legend

curious... The reference to YES confused me a bit. Do you only watch the Yankees? If so, why get EI or MLB.tv at all? Aren't there solutions (sling box?) that would allow you to watch YES remotely without paying for EI or MLB.tv?
    I live out of market (Chicago) so in order to see the Yankees games, I need EI or MLB.TV. I can get YES as part of the SportsPack on Directv and that allows me to see the pre and post games. With a sling box I'd have to have someone in market "sling" it to me.

Also, Yankees games are blacked out on YES out of market. You have to pay for EI to get the game broadcasts.

Heidi

I live out of market (Chicago) so in order to see the Yankees games, I need EI or MLB.TV. I can get YES as part of the SportsPack on Directv and that allows me to see the pre and post games. With a sling box I'd have to have someone in market "sling" it to me.

Heidi
    Oh really? Didn't know that sling box would require you to be in market. You certain about that?

NYYF Legend

Oh really? Didn't know that sling box would require you to be in market. You certain about that?
    Doesn't someone have to get the game in order to send it to me? I suppose they don't have to be in market, but they have to get it somehow. Why would I rely on someone else sending it to me when I can just get it myself? What would be the advantage?

Heidi

NYYF Cy Young

I hesitated due to picture quality and lagging, but last year I used both and was amazed at the quality and reliability of MLB.tv. So I'm a convert.
    Reliability was definitely an issue as recent as two years ago or so, since then I've had zero issues though. It's not quite 1080p quality, but the other advantages it has outweighs that imo.

Doesn't someone have to get the game in order to send it to me? I suppose they don't have to be in market, but they have to get it somehow. Why would I rely on someone else sending it to me when I can just get it myself? What would be the advantage?

Heidi
    http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000053.html

If I understand it, you could control your tv from any mobile device and watch it. I thought you said you have DirectTV and YES. So, why couldn't you watch your YES feed via slingbox on your laptop or iPad?

Unless you're saying the out-of-market YES feed only broadcasts pre and post-game? If it broadcasts the games to you, seems like this would save you money over time.

NYYF Legend

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000053.html

If I understand it, you could control your tv from any mobile device and watch it. I thought you said you have DirectTV and YES. So, why couldn't you watch your YES feed via slingbox on your laptop or iPad?

Unless you're saying the out-of-market YES feed only broadcasts pre and post-game? If it broadcasts the games to you, seems like this would save you money over time.
    Oh, I understand what you're saying now. I thought you were talking about having someone sling their broadcast to me, piggybacking off of them in other words. But you're saying I could sling it to myself, which would give me the portability.

Unfortunately, YES does not broadcast the games out of market unless you also pay for EI. So one way or another, to see the games I'd have to pay for them either through EI or MLB.TV.

Heidi

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I have a lot of pet peeves about EI, the main on being they go right off the air. They really should stick with a post game
    MLB.TV doesn't hang around too long after a game ends either.

Addicted Member

I've had MLB.TV Premium and would never go back to EI. I like the mobility MLB.TV gives me. I can watch on my laptop; it comes with a free subscription to At Bat 13 so I can watch live games on my smart phone or tablet.

The MLB.TV app came pre-loaded on our Samsung Smart LED HD TVs as well as our Samsung BluRay player. And I also run it on a Roku player for a TV that's on our back porch. I can take the Roku player with me on vacation and hook it up to TVs in the vacation hoouse or hotel rooms. And I'm grandfathered so it runs me $119 a year.

The picture quality is great but, to be honest, you need a solid high speed connection. You get your choice of home or away broadcasts, watch 4 games at a time on one screen, Audio Overlay (for example, watch the YES network feed but listen to WCBS announcers Sterling and Waldman. Probably not something you'd want to do though) which is available on-line only. If you miss a game, all games are archived so you can watch later. They will also carry up to 150 Spring Training games this year without any blackouts.

Here's the comparison chart that shows the dirrerences between MLB.TV Premium and MLB.TV

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions...=MLBTVREDIRECT

Choose wisely.

Thanks to all who have expressed their opinions, I figure I have a few more weeks before I have to make a choice, but weighing my options!
    GO YANKEES

I use "other streams". Though, I plan on getting MLB.tv once I get a job. I've used it for a few months before. Loved it.

edit: fwiw, "other streams" have sh!t quality.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I use "other streams". Though, I plan on getting MLB.tv once I get a job. I've used it for a few months before. Loved it.

edit: fwiw, "other streams" have sh!t quality.
    And "other streams" are likely to get your PC or laptop hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    And "other streams" are likely to get your PC or laptop hacked.
    not unless you know what you're doing. Anyway, having been to a bar that has used EI and personally spent money on mlb.tv, I'd go with mlb.tv.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

MLBTV, especially since you live in RI and arent subject to local blackout. Also I believe for 2013 I read somewhere that they will allow FOX national broadcast games to appear on MLBTV so it makes it even more mobile
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Oh, I understand what you're saying now. I thought you were talking about having someone sling their broadcast to me, piggybacking off of them in other words. But you're saying I could sling it to myself, which would give me the portability.

Unfortunately, YES does not broadcast the games out of market unless you also pay for EI. So one way or another, to see the games I'd have to pay for them either through EI or MLB.TV.

Heidi
    Ah, that's the part I was missing. I was actually considering switching to DirectTV, primarily for Sunday Ticket but being able to get YES was intriguing too. Kind of lame to offer YES out of market, but not include the games themselves. Is that an MLB thing or a Yankees thing? How can teams like the Cubs broadcast games nationally out-of-market on a basic cable channel, yet the Yankees can't on a cable network?

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    MLBTV, especially since you live in RI and arent subject to local blackout. Also I believe for 2013 I read somewhere that they will allow FOX national broadcast games to appear on MLBTV so it makes it even more mobile
    Googled that, because that would indeed be a HUGE advantage for MLB.tv over EI. Here's what I found. You're right, but you're early and they will be open to both EI and MLB.tv...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/84...-turner-sports

Games included in the FOX Saturday national exclusive windows, which were previously blacked out to MLB Extra Innings and MLB.TV viewers, will be available beginning in 2014.

Thread Information