+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Derek Jeter wants to stay out of it.

He said he'll wait until ARod says something.

Guys, I thought of this the other day; these two were best buds for the first couple years of their Major League careers, even staying at their places when their teams played each other... You don't suppose that Jeet caught wind of ARod taking performance enhancers, then tried to distance himself from ARod, do you? Even before anyone had a clue? Their dislike for each other has been documented over the past 10 or more years, and I think this could hold water. It was always played as a personality conflict, but maybe it was much deeper... Just a hunch, though. I have nothing documented.

Re: Derek Jeter wants to stay out of it.

1) it was cause a-rod said in a magazine interview that he was better than jeter.
    2) ur assuming jete hasnt done PEDs
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

It is simply Jeter being Jeter. Nothing more nor nothing less. It has nothing to do with a feud or any kind of personal feelings whatsoever.

Anyone who has followed Jeter through his career is intimately aware that he has made an obsession of never saying anything with any meat in it ; anything that might be controversial in the slightest; anything that might show personal feelings toward anyone or anything EXCEPT the Yankees, and those comments have always been nothing but positive.

Jeter has made a career of never making any comment that wasn't totally bland.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

That's exactly what I expected from Jeter if he had any comment. I don't think Jeter distanced himself from A-Rod. He's the captain and a teammate and I'm sure he put it behind him and did the right thing. That magazine article was just drama. The PED issue is A-Rod's issue.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    It is simply Jeter being Jeter. Nothing more nor nothing less. It has nothing to do with a feud or any kind of personal feelings whatsoever.

Anyone who has followed Jeter through his career is intimately aware that he has made an obsession of never saying anything with any meat in it ; anything that might be controversial in the slightest; anything that might show personal feelings toward anyone or anything EXCEPT the Yankees, and those comments have always been nothing but positive.

Jeter has made a career of never making any comment that wasn't totally bland.

Andy
    Well, he hasn't always been completely consistent and even-handed. Re Jason Giambi in 2005:
    The fans have to start cheering for him. If you're a Yankee fan, you want us to win and we need Jason .
    Re ARod in 2006:
    I said the only thing I wasn't going to do was tell the fans who they should boo and who they shouldn't boo...

I got booed, Mo got booed, Tino got booed the first half of the season. Jason got booed. Everyone got booed, but it's not your job to say, 'Hey, everybody should stop booing.'
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, he hasn't always been completely consistent and even-handed. Re Jason Giambi in 2005:

Re ARod in 2006:
    As fans, we think we know a lot of things about ARod...or at least we suspect a lot of things about him.

think of some of the things we do know and that have been reported. ARod tipping pitch location to the other team while with the Rangers. ARod essentially copying Jeter in the way he dresses (the single white female scenario in Torre's book). ARod dissing Jeter in the Esquire thing. His inexplicable dissappearing acts in many of the postseasons...not just bad statistical produciton but complete helplessness at the plate.

But almost assuredly Jeter knows a lot more about him...as would any long standing teammate really. now, in some cases that could help a player (perhaps in Giambi's case), as teammates see what the guy is really like and the delta between that and the media image. But in Arod's case, if what we know is really just the tip of the iceberg (and really would anybody be shocked that is is?), what exactly is Jeter supposed to do? Support ARod the way he did Giambi? Vouch for him and ask the fans to support him? Jeter very well could have thought many of these years, "the guy puts up monster numbers but I think this could all be better without him."

Whether he would be right or wrong to think that, from Jeter's perspective there was a lot more success in the 8 seasons leading up to ARod's arrival than there has been in the 9 seasons since he got here and he very likely is sick and tired of answering the constant Arod questions every single year...on behalf of a guy he probalby doesn't like and doesn't see how it's helped the Yankees become more successful than before he arrived.

Sabathia said the same thing in an interview last night at the Thurman Munson dinner.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    As fans, we think we know a lot of things about ARod...or at least we suspect a lot of things about him.

think of some of the things we do know and that have been reported. ARod tipping pitch location to the other team while with the Rangers. ARod essentially copying Jeter in the way he dresses (the single white female scenario in Torre's book). ARod dissing Jeter in the Esquire thing. His inexplicable dissappearing acts in many of the postseasons...not just bad statistical produciton but complete helplessness at the plate.

But almost assuredly Jeter knows a lot more about him...as would any long standing teammate really. now, in some cases that could help a player (perhaps in Giambi's case), as teammates see what the guy is really like and the delta between that and the media image. But in Arod's case, if what we know is really just the tip of the iceberg (and really would anybody be shocked that is is?), what exactly is Jeter supposed to do? Support ARod the way he did Giambi? Vouch for him and ask the fans to support him? Jeter very well could have thought many of these years, "the guy puts up monster numbers but I think this could all be better without him."

Whether he would be right or wrong to think that, from Jeter's perspective there was a lot more success in the 8 seasons leading up to ARod's arrival than there has been in the 9 seasons since he got here and he very likely is sick and tired of answering the constant Arod questions every single year...on behalf of a guy he probalby doesn't like and doesn't see how it's helped the Yankees become more successful than before he arrived.
    I'm not judging him this time around. I'm just saying that it isn't the case that he says the same brand of nothing regardless of the situation.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I don't always speculate on how one player feels about another.

But when I do, I think Jeter's probably sick of A-Rod too.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I don't always speculate on how one player feels about another.

But when I do, I think Jeter's probably sick of A-Rod too.

That's the most interesting quote in the forum.

NYYF Legend

Why should they comment when Arod hasn't??

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Why should they comment when Arod hasn't??
    Well - there are a lot of people that look to Jeter to fix everyone else's problems and make the situation all better.

NYYF Legend

Heard just now, one more big name will be coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Heard just now, one more big name will be coming out.
    And we all just know.... it's gonna be a Yankee player.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    That's the most interesting quote in the forum.
    well played

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    And we all just know.... it's gonna be a Yankee player.
    Without naming names, there is defintely a prominent Yankee that I would actually be more surprised than not if he's not eventually named...way too many rumors that aren't reported on much. Kind of a Piazza scenario.

NYYF Legend

Without naming names, there is defintely a prominent Yankee that I would actually be more surprised than not if he's not eventually named...way too many rumors that aren't reported on much. Kind of a Piazza scenario.
    Why dont you just name names ?

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Why dont you just name names ?
    I'm guessing he means Cano.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Re ARod in 2006:
    Any chance you used to write for NoMaas? IIRC, that was one of their memes.
    Team Northern Lights

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Hypothetical scenario:

Clean player plays the game. Gets his chops busted about his range. In comes this purple lipped super player who is cheating. Player 1 comes to realize that player 2 is cheating, and has nothing further to do with him, to avoid getting smelly by rubbing up against a turd.

That will be all.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Any chance you used to write for NoMaas? IIRC, that was one of their memes.
    Nope. And I don't see how it's a "meme" rather than simply, y'know, what happened.
    - Barry Manilow

Jeter has always been Mr. Bland, don't expect anything different from here in this ordeal.

Nope. And I don't see how it's a "meme" rather than simply, y'know, what happened.
    I was referring to the context to which they took it. Nothing to see here.....

Back on topic - I have no problem with Jeter's response, or lack thereof - he just doesn't want to deal with it.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I was referring to the context to which they took it. Nothing to see here.....

Back on topic - I have no problem with Jeter's response, or lack thereof - he just doesn't want to deal with it.
    I wasn't thrilled with his response in 2006, but that's water way under the bridge. I have no problem with this, because there's really nothing to say.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information