+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: If Alex could take steroids and have monster years is it OK if he is not caught?

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Thanks much, but you've just stated one side of the argument.

It all depends of the definition of "sound" Of course, if you define it that way it has to be perceived that way. You're jsut saying it's not a sound because I define sound in a certain way

I'm sure that there exists many things on earth or the galaxy or universe that haven't been seen by anyone. Do they not exist?
    Material existence has nothing to do with the issue. The tree exists. The moving air waves exist.

It's not just my definition of "sound." I don't know how you can define "sound" (or "taste" or "smell") without reference to sensation and perception. "Air waves in motion," with no mention of hearing, is not a meaningful definition of "sound."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Re: If Alex could take steroids and have monster years is it OK if he is not caught?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Material existence has nothing to do with the issue. The tree exists. The moving air waves exist.

It's not just my definition of "sound." I don't know how you can define "sound" (or "taste" or "smell") without reference to sensation and perception. "Air waves in motion," with no mention of hearing, is not a meaningful definition of "sound."
    Yup. No different than taste, really. Does a juicy T-bone taste good, if nothing tastes (eats) it?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Cy Young

Sound waves do not require a perceiver. Sound waves, if loud enough, can cause concrete to crack, even in a home for deaf people.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

Paging Steven Hawking, Albert Einstein and Sir Isaac Newton.......
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Sound waves do not require a perceiver. Sound waves, if loud enough, can cause concrete to crack, even in a home for deaf people.
    I'm with you on this one. And the fact that people who can't "hear" can "feel" some sounds is supportive of a broader definition
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I'm with you on this one. And the fact that people who can't "hear" can "feel" some sounds is supportive of a broader definition
    That's a strictly mechanical phenomenon. "Sound waves" are called that because they can be perceived as sound, but they're just waves. They can cause concrete to crack, but that doesn't mean that they're actually making a sound.

YFIB, you're still talking about the perception of sound, even if it's perceived through a different modality (but recognized as sound, like the thumping of a bass).

And now I leave this hijack.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

That's a strictly mechanical phenomenon. "Sound waves" are called that because they can be perceived as sound, but they're just waves. They can cause concrete to crack, but that doesn't mean that they're actually making a sound.

YFIB, you're still talking about the perception of sound, even if it's perceived through a different modality (but recognized as sound, like the thumping of a bass).

And now I leave this hijack.
    You know, you're right... this needs to be its own thread.. perhaps titled "If A-Rod doesn't hear a tree fall....."
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    You know, you're right... this needs to be its own thread.. perhaps titled "If A-Rod doesn't hear a tree fall....."
    As long as it's another ARod thread, I'm in favor. You can't have too many.
    - Barry Manilow

As long as it's another ARod thread, I'm in favor. You can't have too many.
    We should have one where we can all boo him.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    We should have one where we can all boo him.
    He would completely crack under the strain. We might even drive him into retirement.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information