+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

If Alex could take steroids and have monster years is it OK if he is not caught?

So many people are down on Alex including myself. Some fans want to win at all costs. I can understand an athlete taking substances to improve performance and perform at their best. We are all down on Alex for possibly taking steroids including his injuries. My question is this. If Alex would take performance enhancing substances for a few years and not get caught I think it might be OK with the average fan. If he uses and puts up a few monster years the average fan might not care because he is helping out team win. So many championships are tainted in sports anyway. What do you think?

NYYF Legend

Re: If Alex could take steroids and have monster years is it OK if he is not caught?

Wrong forum.

Re: If Alex could take steroids and have monster years is it OK if he is not caught?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Wrong forum.
    I don't care which forum it's in as long as we have more threads on this subject. Many more. Can't have enough of them.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't care which forum it's in as long as we have more threads on this subject. Many more. Can't have enough of them.
    I plan on starting 3 or 4 AlexRod threads during the Super Bowl.

Yeah, 4. That's it. One during each quarter.

No. 5. I'll make one during half time while Beyonce is lip syncing. Yeah 5 new threads.
    Pardon, for us.

I admit, one of my major issues with the use of PEDs is that guys know that they are not allowed and, in using them, disrespect the rules of the organization that employs them. I am in the camp that does not believe that guys like Bonds and McGwire should be left out of the HOF due to their usage; that was a different era when the use of PEDs was not as actively discouraged and the MLB was not as obviously trying to put an end to their blatant usage. We are now in the era where it is very plainly put that players who do get caught using PEDs will be suspended. So to me, it's not so much that they use them, it's that they are putting themselves in a situation where a. they could be caught and summarily suspended and b. they could be leaving their team and their fans with a gaping hole if or when they do get caught.

Honestly, I would prefer a guy play clean. I do not value a guy who used PEDs to improve upon a natural talent that was on par with a guy who decided to play clean more than the guy who played his career without PEDs. I would like to see it be harder for players who get caught to get back into the game. A lifetime ban, like some call for, is a bit severe to me, but something along the lines of the 50 game suspension upon first offense, then a full season for the next and then increasing upon that, with some sort of salary deduction, would be most ideal to me. None of this being able to still make millions of dollars after you get caught more than once. Any other industry, you'd be out the door with no recs for new employment if you blatantly broke the rules in the employee handbook and these guys get to keep working AND making insane amounts of money?

The thing I have the most issue with is the stupidity. If you want to cheat, you want to disrespect your employer, your team, your fans, at the very least do every, single thing you can to not get caught. Don't be a mediocre cheater. Don't go to a clinic and see a guy who is providing the same service to a half dozen or more other guys who play in the same league as you do. Don't continue to deny you do anything of the sort, don't backtrack, don't LIE. I mean, these guys choose to cheat in the first place and then they suck at it.

Anyway, that was a long way of saying that if you doubt yourself and your ability so much so that you need to take PEDs to play well enough to help a team of another 24 guys win, at the very least don't be an idiot about it.

I'd like to say it's fine because I personally have no issue with PED usage. But since it's banned in baseball I have to say no, it's not okay.
    Boo for trading Prado.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I plan on starting 3 or 4 AlexRod threads during the Super Bowl.

Yeah, 4. That's it. One during each quarter.

No. 5. I'll make one during half time while Beyonce is lip syncing. Yeah 5 new threads.
    Come on, STOP IT!!! Beyoncé will NOT be lip-synching; she said so in the presser.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Come on, STOP IT!!! Beyoncé will NOT be lip-synching; she said so in the presser.
    She lip synced that Presser.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

You'd think she turned down one of your butlers for an autograph...
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    You'd think she turned down one of your butlers for an autograph...
    They don't like her brand of pre-recorded music.
    Pardon, for us.

I only listen to live music. But it can't be recorded live-- the person has to be actually singing at that very moment. Even a 7 second delay ruins the performance.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Did you type this joke in real time, or did you type it previously and do a cut and paste?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    Did you type this joke in real time, or did you type it previously and do a cut and paste?
    Real time.
    Pardon, for us.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    I am in the camp that does not believe that guys like Bonds and McGwire should be left out of the HOF due to their usage; that was a different era when the use of PEDs was not as actively discouraged and the MLB was not as obviously trying to put an end to their blatant usage.
    Doesn't matter to me...anabolic steroids have been illegal in the USA since 1990. Baseball did not need a rule prohibiting its players from engaging in illegal activity.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

No, it is not okay, IMO. The fact that it's called "getting caught" means it is not okay. While I know there are some who did not or have not tested positive yet, the only way to put an end to this mess is to make it a lifetime ban if you are caught. If it's okay for Alex, then it would have to be okay for anybody else.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Perhaps a rule change is in order. I propose every team should be allowed to have one 'designated juicer' on its roster. If said juicer passes a drug test he should be suspended immediately.

Perhaps a rule change is in order. I propose every team should be allowed to have one 'designated juicer' on its roster. If said juicer passes a drug test he should be suspended immediately.
    Except in the National League where in place of the designated juicer the pitcher bats twice.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Is this like the " if a tree falls in the forest and no one is near, does it make a sound" question?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Rule 1.a. - The designated juicer shall only have 1 name, such as "Mongo."
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    " if a tree falls in the forest and no one is near, does it make a sound"
    No, it doesn't. "Sound" is a perception, which requires a perceiver. The falling tree sets air waves in motion, but that's not "sound" until it's perceived as such.

You're welcome.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

No, it doesn't. "Sound" is a perception, which requires a perceiver. The falling tree sets air waves in motion, but that's not "sound" until it's perceived as such.

You're welcome.
    thank you so much for saying that, every time someone says that phrase I give the same response. now just have to figure out the chicken and the egg.

Sound is a long narrow inlet of water, but apparently if no one is there to feel its wetness, it doesn't exist.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

The chicken clearly came first....everybody knows you need a chicken to lay an egg !

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Rule 1.a. - The designated juicer shall only have 1 name, such as "Mongo."
    "If you shoot him you'll just make him mad."

You're welcome.

Thanks much, but you've just stated one side of the argument.

It all depends of the definition of "sound" Of course, if you define it that way it has to be perceived that way. You're jsut saying it's not a sound because I define sound in a certain way

I'm sure that there exists many things on earth or the galaxy or universe that haven't been seen by anyone. Do they not exist?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Thread Information