+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Mark Teixeira - "I'm overpaid"

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Tex wasn't a $20M player when he signed the contract. He earned the contract with his cost controlled years, where he was paid below fair market.
    If Tex put up his 09 numbers for the last 3 years he would be a 20 million dollar player. RLYW had him projected to OPS .900 for the first 5 years of his deal. Instead he cratered immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    If Tex put up his 09 numbers for the last 3 years he would be a 20 million dollar player. RLYW had him projected to OPS .900 for the first 5 years of his deal. Instead he cratered immediately.
    He became pull-happy as a lefty in 2010 and hasn't been the same offensive player since then. Unless he changes his approach he'll be getting paid $20 million annually to be a garden variety starting first baseman.

NYYF Legend

As long as fans continue to pay to see them play, pro athletes (MLB particularly) are going to be grossly over-paid. Even the best are not worth the kind of money they're being paid and it becomes more of an issue when that athlete no longer performs up to expectations, but doesn't receive a salary cut because the money is guaranteed. I think it's a relative thing - if members of our armed forces were paid 20M/person, would we then say they are over-paid?

Still, I give Tex credit for admitting something that we rarely hear. I hope he can regain some of the production he's lost and maybe by putting it out there for people to read, it'll serve as additional drive to get it done.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    He didn't admit he's overpaid because he's underperforming, which is the real issue. We get that they all make oodles of cash in relation to other forms of work.

In baseball context, he is being paid what the elite of the sport make, but is not performing at that level, which hurts the team.
    exactly. i read the headline and was impressed that teixeira was admitting that he wasn't living up to his contract. then i see that he was just making a general statement about baseball salaries. way to go out on a limb mark..
    Kyle

NYYF Triple Crown

Actually what I think is more troubling are some comments he made about his present-day skills. He seemed to infer that he's just going to concentrate on doing the things he does well - hitting homers and driving in a bunch of runs - now that he's "on the downside" of his career.

I'm torn over whether to respect his honesty, or worry about him not wanting to improve in ways that will help the team. Without A-Rod in there, he really needs to be able to "carry" this club in ways that he hasn't been - getting on base more often, hitting against the shift, moving runners.

In addition to the 30 homers and 100 RBI, I will gladly take about 20 more singles to center this year in exchange for weak groundouts to the 2nd baseman in short-right-field.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Actually what I think is more troubling are some comments he made about his present-day skills. He seemed to infer that he's just going to concentrate on doing the things he does well - hitting homers and driving in a bunch of runs - now that he's "on the downside" of his career.

I'm torn over whether to respect his honesty, or worry about him not wanting to improve in ways that will help the team. Without A-Rod in there, he really needs to be able to "carry" this club in ways that he hasn't been - getting on base more often, hitting against the shift, moving runners.

In addition to the 30 homers and 100 RBI, I will gladly take about 20 more singles to center this year in exchange for weak groundouts to the 2nd baseman in short-right-field.
    Agreed. The tone of his comments was too close to, "well, I'm just going to focus on hitting homers, and if I can now only hit .250, I'll just accept myself for who I am."

I would have liked to hear, "I'm humble enough about my abilities that I acknowledge the shift is limiting me, so I'll swallow my pride and bunt to third now and then."

Not that I think Teixeira should/will ever become a bunting machine. I just don't understand why he doesn't add it to his repertoire on the most minimal level, at least to get teams to think twice about automatically (and successfully) employing the shift. Okay, you're not a superstar hitter anymore. At least you can be a more well-rounded one than you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    In a new interview with the WSJ:

“I have no problem with anybody in New York, any fan, saying you’re overpaid. Because I am,” Teixeira said. “We all are.”
    translation: "I'm not over-paid because I suck, I'm overpaid because ALL athletes are overpaid!"

“Agents are probably going to hate me for saying it,” he continued. “You’re not very valuable when you’re making $20 million.

When you’re Mike Trout, making the minimum, you are crazy valuable. My first six years, before I was a free agent, I was very valuable.
    the reason my value is low is my salary, not my production.

"But there’s nothing you can do that can justify a $20 million contract.”
    "even if I was still hitting .300, 40, 120 I'd be "overpaid" again "the money, not my decline, makes me overpaid"

I am extremely un-impressed with these comments. He's either missing the point or he's being disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    translation: "I'm not over-paid because I suck, I'm overpaid because ALL athletes are overpaid!"

the reason my value is low is my salary, not my production.

"even if I was still hitting .300, 40, 120 I'd be "overpaid" again "the money, not my decline, makes me overpaid"

I am extremely un-impressed with these comments. He's either missing the point or he's being disingenuous.
    But really, what is he supposed to say? If I was paid $20mm to could break 70 on the golf course, I couldn't do it. There's no point in getting angry about it or beating myself up about it. No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I can't.

Tex is who he is. Still should be able to hit 30 home runs if healthy. Won't hit for a high average or a high OBP or run well, but has solid power and a good glove. Very few people would give the money back. I know I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    But really, what is he supposed to say?
    He doesn't have to say anything. That would have been better.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I guess, but at some point somewhere along the line he has to answer at least some questions about his performance. All players do...they can't avoid it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    But really, what is he supposed to say? If I was paid $20mm to could break 70 on the golf course, I couldn't do it. There's no point in getting angry about it or beating myself up about it. No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, I can't.

Tex is who he is. Still should be able to hit 30 home runs if healthy. Won't hit for a high average or a high OBP or run well, but has solid power and a good glove. Very few people would give the money back. I know I wouldn't.
    The Yankees paid for a guy who had a high obp and hit for
    average in addition to the power and glove. It wasn't supposed to disappear this quickly. Without a return to form, his salary relative to production hurts the Yankees.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I agree. No wonder most of them keep their mouths shut. The media and everyone else just picks apart every word and analyzes what they say and what they mean.

NYYF Legend

To state the obvious, overpaid or not, the Yankees are going to need a big year out of Teixeira in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    The Yankees paid for a guy who had a high obp and hit for
    average in addition to the power and glove. It wasn't supposed to disappear this quickly. Without a return to form, his salary relative to production hurts the Yankees.
    Agreeed...and anybody who knows my history on here knows I think Tex is not nearly as good as his reputation or his contract. No argument there.

My point is that the guy at some point has to answer for himself and when he acknowledged that he's declined and acknowledged that he's overpaid...I can't blame him for being honest about it. None of us really know, but I never detect a lack of work ethic or on the field effort from him. If he can't be an elite producer any longer he can't. It doesn't matter what his salary is, it won't stop decline or make him into something he was five years ago.

I appreciate that Tex went out and said what he did. Let's just hope he can prove himself wrong. If anything, I'd like to see him (and every other baseball player, for that matter) just have FUN. Don't take it too seriously. It always seems like that when Tex is able to relax, he can hit much better. This post-season was a good case of that. He wasn't tearing it up, but he got on base at a good clip.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    This post-season was a good case of that. He wasn't tearing it up, but he got on base at a good clip.
    ALDS yes.

ALCS, he stunk.
    Team Northern Lights

I think he's trolling NYYFans. It worked.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Released Outright

Nah if anything MLB players are underpaid considering the amount of revenue that their work generates for the owners and the league.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Nah if anything MLB players are underpaid considering the amount of revenue that their work generates for the owners and the league.
    I've been saying this for years.

Actors make 10, 15, 20 million a film. Generally, their work lasts a few weeks. But yet, no one ever gets their panties in a bunch about them being over paid.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

and the beat goes on. ^

Thread Information