+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: YES Network Content Is Mostly Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Yet, somehow, they're still like one of the top 3 sports networks on TV (forgot where I heard that) and #1 in the NYC Metro area. I think keeping it more "Yankees" has brought them enough success, so why change that? People like Yankee classics, Yankee hot stove, Yankeeograhy, etc...
    They're not top 3. They're the most-watched regional sports network in the entire country. So, they're doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    They're not top 3. They're the most-watched regional sports network in the entire country. So, they're doing something right.
    They show Yanks games...thats what they do right. In terms of the content the network has? It sucks. SNY is a far superior network. They dont have the ratings YES does because the Mets arent the national draw the Yanks are. But strictly in terms of what the networks offer? SNY has much better programming.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    They show Yanks games...thats what they do right. In terms of the content the network has? It sucks. SNY is a far superior network. They dont have the ratings YES does because the Mets arent the national draw the Yanks are. But strictly in terms of what the networks offer? SNY has much better programming.
    Again, YES isn't the highest-rated RSN only when showing Yankees games. That's only 130 days a year. They're the highest-rated RSN year-round. So, yes, they are doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    The Mets already have their own channel.
    I'm not sure if anyone else did, but I enjoyed this thought.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Again, YES isn't the highest-rated RSN only when showing Yankees games. That's only 130 days a year. They're the highest-rated RSN year-round. So, yes, they are doing something right.
    Well I'd like to see a link to prove that claim. But even if it's true, that would show you how massive the brand value of the Yankees is since nobody watches outside of the Yankee games and they're basically wasting potential ad revenue by being inept on programming those other 235 days a year. It also goes to show you what a joke the $85 Million the Yankees are paying YES for TV rights is when a lesser team like the Dodgers is getting $350 million. Steinbrenners just pocket the money

I didn't realize how bad YES programming was until this thread.
    Wow - it really is bad.

Looks like the YES network is like a FWB situation.
    I go to it for my baseball fix and then pay no mind to it until the urge arises again.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    while i do hate michael kay centerstage does get some good guests and the format is more personal.

i am amazed that these people would do YES but some of the interviews are pretty good and worth watching once.

Kay stays out of the way more or less and lets the guys tell their stories.

i am sure many disagree and i don't make a point to watch it but if nothing else is on and there is a good guest i will watch it.
    I agree that Centerstage is a pretty good interview show. I always like the extended interview format when a guest is interesting and I think Kay asks pretty good questions and gets pretty good anecdotes.

I like the idea someone mentioned earlier about a "yearbook" show where they make a show about each season. I remember NFL Films used to (and might still) make brilliant season recap shows for every team every year. They could make a 6-10 Falcons season seem fascinating. Of course, they had all the on the field sound and everything to enhance it, whereas I don't think MLB does anything like that. I can't imagine that the "internal" programming is that expensive, so I can't understand why there's such a limited amount of it (relative to the time the network has been on the air.)
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Well I'd like to see a link to prove that claim. But even if it's true, that would show you how massive the brand value of the Yankees is since nobody watches outside of the Yankee games and they're basically wasting potential ad revenue by being inept on programming those other 235 days a year. It also goes to show you what a joke the $85 Million the Yankees are paying YES for TV rights is when a lesser team like the Dodgers is getting $350 million. Steinbrenners just pocket the money
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/artic...40974250&oid=0

NYYF Legend

ok well there you have it. Steinbrenners are laughing all the way to the bank

ok well there you have it. Steinbrenners are laughing all the way to the bank
    Well - only 51% of the way.
    Doesn't FOX now own 49% of that network?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Well - only 51% of the way.
    Doesn't FOX now own 49% of that network?
    Don't remember the terms. But the Steinbrenners never owned anywhere near 100% of YES, it was founded as a partnership with Goldman Sachs and some private equity firm

NYYF Legend

I wish I could get it so I could bitch about it, too! Instead, I'll get subjected to the Time Warner Dodgers "thing" when they get their act together. Ugh.

When YES first started, I was jealous about some of the soccer games and Ivy League sports coverage. I'd have had that stuff on in the background if I had access. Oh well.... I like the obscure stuff.

NYYF Triple Crown

Don't remember the terms. But the Steinbrenners never owned anywhere near 100% of YES, it was founded as a partnership with Goldman Sachs and some private equity firm
    When YES launched, Goldman Sachs owned a minority share of the network. In late 2003, the Yankees and Nets decided to part ways, with the Nets being sold to a group led by real-estate developer Bruce Ratner. This sale did not include the Nets' ownership stake in YES (NJ Holdings), which remained with the pre-merger owners of the team. As part of the sale, the Nets signed a long term deal to keep the team on YES. In 2004, YankeeNets was renamed Yankee Global Enterprises LLC, which owns the Yankees and YES as separate companies. Therefore, the Yankees technically do not own YES. The Yankees, however, receive a rights fee from YES that is somewhat higher than MSG previously paid. In 2007, the portion of the network owned by Goldman Sachs was put up for sale for estate taxes reasons;,[1] however, as of January 2012, it has not been sold.
    In November 2012, News Corporation agreed to terms on a 49% stake in YES. The deal, expected to close by the end of 2012 includes the option to allow News Corp. to acquire 80% of the network after three years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YES_Network
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Tbh I only watch YES for Yankee games and bp. Otherwise I watch the MLB Network. But I am glad I have it to complain about.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Michael Kay's broadcasting = priceless

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by avstars View Post
    Michael Kay's broadcasting = priceless
    The guy is just awful, he loves to get on his soapbox about everything. And the voice - like scratching a chalkboard

Other than Yankees coverage, YES Network is pretty bland for most of the year. The 2 shows I can tolerate are SportsMoney and Yankees Magazine. Other than that, I watch other channels during the offseason.

In short, YES Network is good during Yankees season, but unbearable to watch during Nets season (your opinion may vary since I'm a Knicks fan)

NYYF Legend

Pitchers and catchers reported on Tuesday, and what was on YES? Soccer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Pitchers and catchers reported on Tuesday, and what was on YES? Soccer.
    I was thinking the very same thing. I checked YES out last night myself; the manager of the New York Yankees did have a press conference yesterday. I thought they'd at least show that.

Considering every other network has one, I don't know why they haven't made at least a live morning show. Something just to be like "today is Wednesday...here's what's going on in sports/baseball,...we now go live to Steinbrenner field where the Yankees are currently doing drills...etc."

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig39 View Post
    Considering every other network has one, I don't know why they haven't made at least a live morning show. Something just to be like "today is Wednesday...here's what's going on in sports/baseball,...we now go live to Steinbrenner field where the Yankees are currently doing drills...etc."
    I agree, or at least have a 30 minute sports show at 10 showing quick highlights and scores.

NYYF Cy Young

Other than game content, YES really seems to shy away from live shows. Everything is pre-records for multiple broadcasts.

Addicted Member

For MASN (RSN for the Orioles and Nats) after baseball season ends, they start their morning programming with simulcasts of ESPN News from 5 a.m. until 8 a.m. Then it's a 2 hour repeat of the previous night's MASN Sports Report.

MLB Network has 4 hours of live programming each weekday and it's pretty disappointing considering what they have at their disposal. Maybe with ST starting they'll have better content, but the 2 hour Hot Stove show in the morning is 2 hours of Matt Vasgersian trying to be funny and telephone interviews with player's wives and how they prepare breakfast for their men.

Baseball Confidential is fast talking used car salesman Brian Kenny and his shredder. No thanks. I like Intentional Talk and Baseball Tonight. That's about it.

I guess I expected more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Other than game content, YES really seems to shy away from live shows. Everything is pre-records for multiple broadcasts.

It's cheaper that way. You pay someone for an hourlong show and you can show it 100 times - you don't even need to hire full-time staff like camera crews. They pay John Sterling a couple of bucks for his shows and they may even work Kay's shows into his contract. You hire a camera and production crew for a few days (and a couple of video editors for the "classics") and you have shows for 2 or 3 months.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKNP View Post
    Other than Yankees coverage, YES Network is pretty bland for most of the year. The 2 shows I can tolerate are SportsMoney and Yankees Magazine. Other than that, I watch other channels during the offseason.
    I don't watch SportsMoney but I do catch Yankees Magazine occassionally. And sometimes I'll watch that show that they have for kids. It's fun to watch the players be a little silly.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thread Information